Why high dietary fat %? Are we trying to kill each other?

Options
1235»

Replies

• PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    Because being extreme is the fad du jour. Blame the paleo/ primal folks for turning the overeating of bacon into a dieter's birthright.

Oh no no no. People following the Paleo diet should be limiting their processed meat intake. Including bacon. I don't know a single Paleo/Primal person who will tell you that you can eat unlimited processed meats. (and I'm not including internet people, only those who are Paleo/Primal that I actually know in person.)

Well being there is fresh pork belly to be had that is NOT PROCESSED - bacon is highly allowed.

Not that gross grocery store stuff, but REAL pork belly that you slice at home and then cook
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    Options
    'eating that quantity of fat is likely to give too much unhealthy fat, that's asking for artery clogging '

^^^ Not true if person sticks to unprocessed foods

'The recommendation would be made for someone on a low carb high fat diet. You can't eat potato chips and losing weight, but you can eat bacon and lose weight :) '

^^^^ this :-)

.............. you just contradicted yourself in one post so well done for that lol

You got me, I missed out a word, enjoy the feeling of superiority...

no you just said unprocessed foods don't contain unhealthy fat then concurred to eating bacon (a processed food) which will have unhealthy fats

to add i don't care that it's processed and enjoy 300g of it every week, but if you want to talk as if you're going to eat a 70% fat diet without unprocessed foods and unhealthy fats clogging your arteries.... i disagree

What fat in bacon is unhealthy????? It sure isn't the saturated fat, because saturated fat is NOT unhealthy in any shape, form or fashion.

I get pork fat from the local farmer and render it down for fresh lard that is a very stable fat.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    Options
    i eat 55% fat.

dietary fat has no impact on body fat unless you're eating at a caloric surplus. fat is also great for long term energy whereas carbs are better for short term energy. I like long term energy. :)

55% fat, 25% carbs 20% protein

You are trying to gain weight - not lose. And you consume a ridiculously high calorie level that would require more fat due to density. I specifically said this is bad advice for those who are eating at a deficit and trying to support good health.

Would you suggest to your "clients" that they consume more fat and less protein and carbs than their body needs? Because that's what's happening here every day.

that's a great point, and one worth addressing

if you're eating at a deficit, it's MORE important to hit your micronutrient levels than it is to hit any particular fat macro. Absolutely. That's why using percentages is silly on the whole. Protein requirements are essentially static, and only change with your lean body mass. I personally feel that you can't reach your micro nutrient goals very well unless you're hitting at least 100g of carbs through mainly fruits and veggies (that's an opinion, I know there are a lot of Keto fans out there - I'm not one of them).

but once you know how much protein you need, and how many carbs your body feels good on and needs to hit nutrient levels, the rest can absolutely be taken up by fat if you so desire. It will NOT cause you any harm, as long as you avoid trans fats and stick to as many good fats as possible (coconut, avocado, olive, animal fats, etc)

so even in a deficit, you can have a "high fat" diet and see incredible results, and do so in a healthy way.

The problem wit Adkins was people take it to an extreme and do NO carb diets and thus are missing out on huge chunks of micronutrients the body needs to function.

The part about Atkins is entirely WRONG. Atkins is an elimination diet in the beginning and if you follow all 4 phases, it is a very, very healthy way of eating.

If you haven't done the Atkins plan, followed all 4 phases and seen what it is really about, please don't make false comments.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    Options
    Where is your basis for asserting that the information in our thread is dangerous?
    Additionally, obese people may use lbm instead of total bodyweight but even still, considering that .35/lb is the minimum recommended value I don't see anything in that thread as being potentially dangerous.

Why is .35g per pound considered the minumum valiue? According to whom?

I will make a fuller response later as I am on my phone - but could you answer the question please.

Every medical reference and study indicates that 25-35% of calories from fat is the max appropriate for good health and nutrition.

My question initially is where did your post originate? What is the reference? Certainly you can answer on your phone.

Ha. You really trust main stream medical reference and studies??????

I sure don't.
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    Where is your basis for asserting that the information in our thread is dangerous?
    Additionally, obese people may use lbm instead of total bodyweight but even still, considering that .35/lb is the minimum recommended value I don't see anything in that thread as being potentially dangerous.

Why is .35g per pound considered the minumum valiue? According to whom?

I will make a fuller response later as I am on my phone - but could you answer the question please.

Every medical reference and study indicates that 25-35% of calories from fat is the max appropriate for good health and nutrition.

My question initially is where did your post originate? What is the reference? Certainly you can answer on your phone.

I sure don't.

you are talking to someone that apparently has selective reading and selective hearing

I am suggesting for you not to waste your time
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    If you're eating at a deficit, exercising, and getting all the micronutrients you need, there is zero reason NOT to front-load dietary fat. It's more satisfying and satiating to eat, it's calorie-dense, and when you maintain a deficit, you'll still be burning adipose. Why would it matter?
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    If you're eating at a deficit, exercising, and getting all the micronutrients you need, there is zero reason NOT to front-load dietary fat. It's more satisfying and satiating to eat, it's calorie-dense, and when you maintain a deficit, you'll still be burning adipose. Why would it matter?

idk if its truly more satiating. i think it varyies from food.

I get fuller off eating 1 normal sized potato than 600 calories worth of cashews

just saying
  • HealthyBodySickMind
    HealthyBodySickMind Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    There have been some posts recently which suggest setting fat as high as 70% of total calories. Why would someone eating at a deficit consume so much fat? The food volume is low, the overall diet lacks fiber and micronutrients due to the low carbs, and the protein is too low to protect muscle mass.

And while I'm asking questions that are sure to get me flamed, where did the often referred http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets originate? The idea of telling people who are obese to set their goals to "0.35g of fat per lb of total body weight as a minimum target" is poor science and could be harmful to their health. A 250 lb person eating 1700 cals per day would be consuming 45% of their calories in fat. Why are we perpetuating this?

Notes: 1) Yes, I know that carbs do not contain micronutrients but carb containing foods do. 2) A 250lb female my age and height, sedentary, would be consuming 1700 cals at TDEE -20%

Where have you seen posts that suggest setting fats as high as 70% of total calories?

^^^That's what I'm wondering. 0.35 g/lb would actually only be 20% of my calories from fat. If I was eating at a deficit (say 1500 cal/day) that would still only be about 24% of my calories from fat. Either still sounds really low to me, as I eat more like 50%/30%/20% fat/carbs/protein. I don't understand where OP got 70%, unless she's been reading up on keto, but then why quote Sara's post?
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

I sure don't.

Yeah? How has that been working out for you?
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    Options

I sure don't.

Yeah? How has that been working out for you?

Well it is working just fine for me. I am in better health than I have been in years thanks to eat just REAL FOOD............high fat, moderate protein and carbs which come from vegetables and some fruits.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    i eat 55% fat.

dietary fat has no impact on body fat unless you're eating at a caloric surplus. fat is also great for long term energy whereas carbs are better for short term energy. I like long term energy. :)

You are trying to gain weight - not lose. And you consume a ridiculously high calorie level that would require more fat due to density. I specifically said this is bad advice for those who are eating at a deficit and trying to support good health.

Would you suggest to your "clients" that they consume more fat and less protein and carbs than their body needs? Because that's what's happening here every day.

if you're eating at a deficit, it's MORE important to hit your micronutrient levels than it is to hit any particular fat macro. Absolutely. That's why using percentages is silly on the whole. Protein requirements are essentially static, and only change with your lean body mass. I personally feel that you can't reach your micro nutrient goals very well unless you're hitting at least 100g of carbs through mainly fruits and veggies (that's an opinion, I know there are a lot of Keto fans out there - I'm not one of them).

but once you know how much protein you need, and how many carbs your body feels good on and needs to hit nutrient levels, the rest can absolutely be taken up by fat if you so desire. It will NOT cause you any harm, as long as you avoid trans fats and stick to as many good fats as possible (coconut, avocado, olive, animal fats, etc)

so even in a deficit, you can have a "high fat" diet and see incredible results, and do so in a healthy way.

The problem wit Adkins was people take it to an extreme and do NO carb diets and thus are missing out on huge chunks of micronutrients the body needs to function.

I love how you addressed this. Thank you! :flowerforyou:
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    Options
    i eat 55% fat.

First of all its Atkins, not Adkins............and if people took or take that plan to the extreme, IT IS NOT THE ATKINS LIFESTYLE PLAN. THEY ARE DOING THEIR OWN THING AND SHOULDN'T BLAME IT ON ATKINS.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    i eat 55% fat.

First of all its Atkins, not Adkins............and if people took or take that plan to the extreme, IT IS NOT THE ATKINS LIFESTYLE PLAN. THEY ARE DOING THEIR OWN THING AND SHOULDN'T BLAME IT ON ATKINS.

i also misspelled "with"
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    i eat 55% fat.

Why are you yelling at me? I wasn't talking to you.