new baby and i have no time to eat...

Options

Replies

• doritosgirl
    doritosgirl Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    When my 19 month old was a newborn and I was home alone ( hubby was only able to take a few days off work) recovering from a csection and infection It was difficult make proper meals.

I used to make a huge jug of smoothies.. all kinds of veggies ( personal favorites were spinach, kale, celery, cucumbers, steamed carrots ( raw carrots will not blend) and fruits with a splash of honey, flax seeds and water . Quick and easy.. Literally 5 minutes prep work. I still make a jug of smoothies a few times a week. My toddler loves it

Soup in travel mugs was another favorite way to get a meal. I also kept yogurt and chopped raw veggies on hand, as well as homemade oatmeal breakfast cookies... One cookie was very filling with just oats, honey, bananas, almonds and dried blueberries.

It just takes a few minute of prep but it is easy to get proper nutrition.. If are nursing. Candy is not good for either one of you and I would think the sugar crash would be horrendous as you are already sleep deprived.
  • GnomeQueen84
    GnomeQueen84 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Okay, all the people giving the OP grief about having "over" days and typing when she could be prepping food, etc, need to stuff it. THE WOMAN IS TWO WEEKS POST-PARTUM. For God's sake, have some sensitivity. Her hormones are everywhere, she's exhausted, she has two other kids to care for, and a cluster-feeding newborn. She's not even supposed to be lifting anything heavier than the newborn at this point, but that's likely impossible with two other young kids.

I've only got one. At two weeks PP I was still basically living in my pjs with this squirming whimpering little creature basically grafted to my boob. I lived on the computer because it was my only contact with adults other than my husband and 72-year-old mother in law. I was getting plenty of calories, but it didn't feel like it because I was grabbing a handful here and a slice there in the few precious moments that my newborn was sleeping peacefully somewhere other than on me. I LOVE my son, and I was so in love in those early days, but it was still beyond overwhelming, and again, he's only my first. I can only imagine how exhausting it must be to deal with two other young-ish kids at the same time! She very well may be getting plenty of food on the days her hubby is home, but even on those days she likely doesn't feel like she's getting *food*, if she's having to resort to quick easy and microwaveable. She hasn't had time to shower regularly, let alone sit down at the table and eat an actual MEAL like a grown person. Congrats to the working mums who have pulled it off, the super-dads, and the rest. Go be superior somewhere else, it's not helpful.

OP, the best thing I can tell you is to keep plenty of fresh produce, nuts, cheese, and your meal bar of choice in the house. Things you can grab quickly and eat one-handed. Next day your hubby, a neighbor, a friend is available, TAKE A NAP. Seriously. Let someone else comfort the niblet while you take an hour's sleep. She won't die of neglect, promise, and you will feel SO much better. Feed her, then take a shower. Feed the baby, then sit down in the other room and actually eat a proper hot meal. Stock up on paper plates and plastic forks. Let the vacuum gather dust. See if you can arrange car pools to after school activities. Ask for help. Don't try to be super-mom, you'll drive yourself batty.

I know it's hard to even think right now. It's gonna be a bit until things settle into the new normal, but until then, I promise, nobody's going to call the cops if your kids are late to their extra-curriculars, or if somebody has mismatched socks or mentions they ate breakfast off a paper plate. Cut corners, get it down to the absolute minimum, and any time someone asks you "is there anything you need/anything I can do?", you say "Yes, actually, could you please (insert house chore/grocery run/hold the baby while I shower)? Thanks so much!"

Since when did having a kid become some sort of triathlon? I swear ppl need to stop being so weak and lame. Our ancestors would die laughing if they werent already dead. Yeah those women before us that didnt have epidurals and a comfy hospital to have a baby safely in and so on. FFS this world is an epic fail at this point if this is the mentality that is so acceptable WTF!?!?!

LMAO! Exactly what I have been thinking this whole time!
  • mbelle97
    mbelle97 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I feel like the title is an exaggeration.

Google, or search your favorite food sites, for recipes or enter things that sound good and create your own variations. Buy microwave food if you really have no time.

Hormonally, you are completely off balance after giving birth.
    In my case at least, I was so overwhelmed I was scared to even put my daughter down for a second! Although it is an adjustment for men too when they become dads, it really is different. I was a mess for the first 6 weeks. I'd say it is less about not having 'time to eat' and more about actually forgetting to eat.

agreed. i was in so much pain with with twins, combined with lack of sleep, I literally had no time to eat.
    most men don't get it. sorry dude.
    I used to put the twins in boppy pillows on either side of me on the couch and hold a bowl of cereal in my lap.
  • Eat2Win
    Eat2Win Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    The best foods for you are WHOLE FOODS and they are quickest and easiest too.
    All Fruits and Veggies are prepacked and basically ready to eat. Even with baby in arm you
    can eat carrots, celery, lettuce, olives, radishes and so forth. It only takes a few minutes to even
    blend up a smoothie. I make smoothies nearly every day and literally to throw bananna in and
    milk or almond milk, yogurt or whatever, plus maybe almond butter or peanut butter and blend is
    done in less than 4 minutes. It's really simple. You can add all the extra nutrition in smoothies too
    such as flax seed, wheat germ, coconut oil or whatever to keep your calories up and health at
    optimum. You neednt eat chips and candy that is not going to give you anything but unheathiness
    and too much sugar with no nutritional value. Smoothies can also be with Spinach in with the banana
    to add some veggie, whatever you like throw in blender and try!!

Make yourself some soup while baby sleeps. It's that easy..........soak some beans overnight, turn stove on
    cook up in less than 30 min. with some broth and a few whole food veggies in and evena bit of meat. It's
    cheap and easy and healthy.

I could go on............Friend Request me if you need more help. I am willing to help suggest more :)
    I've been there too..........I actual had a travelling husband at one point with three children....I know the feeling
    of no time and no energy, but it is doable if your willing to learn new tricks in the kitchen for better health and
    weightloss.
  • Textmessage
    Textmessage Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    It was do to with your comment about it being an exaggeration

...because it is! OP definitely has time to eat, she just needs to manage her time better. I did give my input of using the net to find quick recipes or just buying frozen meals. I still don't see what the problem is.
  • MaryPoppinsIAint
    MaryPoppinsIAint Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    What we do does indeed matter, but there's a difference between "sugar-coating" and speaking the truth kindly, between offering suggestions and implying (or even saying outright) that the OP is lazy, lying, or weak because in her moment of feeling overwhelmed, she posted here for help. This sort of thing is a hot-button for a lot of people, and it can be extremely frustrating to be judged unworthy of a basic level of respect and kindness by people who don't truly understand the circumstances... or think that because they coped in a similar situation, she should be able to suck it up and figure it out without whining.

One doesn't have to sugar-coat in order to be kind. It is possible to be firm and practical while still displaying some empathy.
  • Textmessage
    Options
    What we do does indeed matter, but there's a difference between "sugar-coating" and speaking the truth kindly, between offering suggestions and implying (or even saying outright) that the OP is lazy, lying, or weak because in her moment of feeling overwhelmed, she posted here for help. This sort of thing is a hot-button for a lot of people, and it can be extremely frustrating to be judged unworthy of a basic level of respect and kindness by people who don't truly understand the circumstances... or think that because they coped in a similar situation, she should be able to suck it up and figure it out without whining.

One doesn't have to sugar-coat in order to be kind. It is possible to be firm and practical while still displaying some empathy.

So since she posted this under circumstances of being overwhelmed we should just say what she probably -wants- to hear? I don't see how that's fair or helpful.
  • BoomstickChick
    BoomstickChick Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    You HAVE to make time to eat and take care of yourself.

Have someone take the baby for you so you can shower, eat, do whatever you need to do. I Know it's rough, trust me. My daughters are 15 months apart. It was HARD and stressful.
  • ThatSoundsHard
    ThatSoundsHard Posts: 475 Member
    Options

Clearly, you've never nursed a newborn.

I think just about any suggestion I can give has already been given.

I personally, found myself eating a lot of trail mix and consuming quite a few meal replacement type drinks in the early stages of motherhood.

Also, don't be afraid to ask somoene to make you a sandwich or something while you feed her, if you have that option.

Good luck and congratulations on the babe!
  • Queen_JessieA
    Queen_JessieA Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    Sling your baby! By that, I mean be a baby wearer :) I loved my Maya wrap. I wish I had known about it when I had my first kid. It was a life saver with my second and third!!

Keep up the good work :):) And sandwiches and other little finger foods will do ya good! Eat while you are feeding the little one. Even if it is just a healthy little snack.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I used to eat porridge when my daughter was a baby. I got those little sachets, made 2 of them in the microwave, and a cup of tea, ad settled down on the sofa to feed, feed, feed! Just about managed to make that before the screaming got too loud! Luckily my husband had 2 weeks paternity leave then took 2 weeks annual leave, so he was able to make me food. Our son was 22 months at the time, so he had to be looked after too.

I think there are some slings that you can breastfeed in, so that might be something to look into. If I have another baby that's what I'll do I think.
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    I didn't read all the comments, but have you tried a Moby Wrap? Basically its just a super long strip of soft fabric that binds you baby to your chest. She gets held, your arms are free to feed yourself and get stuff done around the house. Everybody wins.
  • Textmessage
    Options

Clearly, you've never nursed a newborn.

So when other women post about nursing and still having time to eat it's relevant? Are those women pulling it off not bound by a day that's made up of twenty-four hours like other women (and men)?
  • MaryPoppinsIAint
    MaryPoppinsIAint Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Now you're just being ridiculous. That's not what I said at all. Practical suggestions can be stated in a compassionate manner. That is not the same thing as saying what she "wants to hear". Because of course saying only the nice comforting things isn't helpful either. But kind words can convey a firm message as well or better than harsh ones. Especially to a person who is likely to internalize the emotional aspect of the harsher language (lazy, exaggerating, weak, etc) and be even less likely to dredge up the wherewithal to actually apply any of the suggestions. Two weeks PP is an INSANE time in a woman's head. Think of the biggest misunderstanding you've had with an oversensitive female at her time of the month who figures she's fat, ugly, worthless, and cannot do ANYTHING right... and then multiply it by 20 or so.

Bluntness has its uses, and there are appropriate times for it. This isn't one of them. If you actually want to be helpful to a person in the OP's type of situation (as opposed to just feel good about dashing off a quick reply that any reasonable person should be able to make good use of), it can be important to couch suggestions and ideas in language that is free of judgmental terms and focuses on the person needing the help, rather than all the things that person is doing wrong.
  • Ashwee87
    Ashwee87 Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    Now, I had my son Jan. 2012. I had him via c-section and when we got home, I was with him 24/7. I had no breaks and I had little to no sleep. My husband was working so when he was home, he did help when he could; but honestly you FORGET to eat because OMG your attention is towards a helpless newborn. FFS people...give the woman a break.

I lived off of toaster strudels, poptarts and ramen the first few weeks of my son's life. When I did remember or manage to eat, I had to do it quick. Baby slings don't work for everyone, especially if you did have a c-section. Now from what I understand OP didn't, but she has ANOTHER CHILD at home. So juggling a newborn and another child; I can't imagine. My son, who is now 15 months old keeps me busy enough as it is. I eat when he is eating or asleep. Other than that I can't eat around him. (He wants to steal my food. lol)

Anyway....sorry....just kinda got into a bit of a ranty mood. OP is obviously not starving herself but some people need to be a little more understanding or GTFO.
  • gauchogirl
    gauchogirl Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I have to agree maybe you're just feeling a bit overwhelmed - totally understandable. Those of us who have gone through the same thing (I had three girls, 24 months apart, and nursed them all for a year+ each) have not starved to death afterwards. Totally normal to feel like you have zero time to take care of yourself, but you have to get creative in your thinking. Baby slings, rockers, swings, help from family or friends, etc. And if you're typing here on MFP, I assume you have a free hand that could be feeding you. Don't worry about being on the computer and focus on YOU and your FAMILY. That is what's important, ultimately. And absolutely don't be afraid to let baby cry for a few minutes. It doesn't hurt anything and you can literally make and eat a simple sandwich in about 3 minutes. If you find time to go to the bathroom, and manage a few things around the house, I would put nourishing yourself at the top of the list. You have to remember that you are EQUALLY important to your new child. If you ALWAYS put their needs above your own (legitimate needs, like food, water and sleep), you risk becoming unhealthy or so tired or frustrated that you become a danger to yourself or them. Good luck!
  • Alison12121
    Alison12121 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    First of all congrats on the little one!

Do you have a slow cooker? That will make life easier. If you don't I would highly recommend getting one. (Get a good one with a timer so it will shut off and keep the food warm if you get busy with the kids. One less thing to worry about.) I love using my slow cooker when I don't have the time, energy or desire to stand over the stove. Cooking Light and My Recipes have some good recipes, and maybe your husband could help out by getting the ingredients and throwing them in.
  • VoodooLuLu
    VoodooLuLu Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    I have 2 kids one came after the other, my husband was always working, yet i had time thanks to my mum who didn't help me by holding them but by giving me advice

1. You don't have to hold the baby 24/7 make sure the baby is changed/washed/fed and put it in the crib, swing, bouncer, if the baby cries, the baby cries its what babies do you can hold the baby when your done with the stuff you need to do... The baby will fall asleep!!! if you hold the baby continuously you'll only spoil it ...(it was hard for me to hear also...) :D

2. Plan your meals prepare them before you go to bed

3. Do the stuff you need to do!!! if your truly worried bout the baby check on it in between you chores and other stuff your doing

you'll figure it out!!! :flowerforyou: and of course Congrats on the new baby!!!
  • seena511
    seena511 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    Are you able to eat cereal or yogurt with one hand?

gogurt!

congrats btw!!
  • pegtate
    pegtate Posts: 11
    Options
    When I read that your baby was always held, I cringed. That was me. And I regret it. He learned to never sleep unless he was in my arms. Couldn't get him to sleep the night until he was 2!!!! I know it's hard, but put him down sometimes - you'll be a healthy person for it in the long run.

I too (given he was always in my arms) didn't eat. In hindsight, I suggest lots of easy, healthy snacks which require no prep time - yogurt, cheese strings, grapes, bananas (if you can peel with one hand). Heck, eating is the main thing - even if it's not so great for you (canned something). But do stay away from pure junk (chips) as it won't do anything for you or your baby and winds up adding the unhealthy calories you need to take off later.

But mostly, I agree with the empathetic folks - give yourself a break. This is hard - and sometimes harder for most! The good news is that it will, eventually, get better.

My kids are teenagers now. As hard as it may be to think about, enjoy every minute, cause you'll never get it back. And mostly, give yourself a break and just manage as best you can.