new baby and i have no time to eat...

Options
12346»

Replies

• rosemaryhon
    rosemaryhon Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    I feel like the title is an exaggeration.

Google, or search your favorite food sites, for recipes or enter things that sound good and create your own variations. Buy microwave food if you really have no time.
    lol really? have you ever given birth and then had the child attached to your chest to feed almost constantly? not only am i overwhelmed with the new baby, i have two other kids to try to take care of while my husband is at work. i sleep 4 hours a night, get up early to feed the baby before i get the other kids up to get ready for school.. walk them to school and come home to feed baby again.. the last two days ive ended up napping after that feeding because im just so tired. i get up and go get kid #2 from school and get her home for lunch.. try to do some housework in between making her lunch and the next baby feeding.. then i go get kid #1 from school and get her snack, feed baby, and try to work on dinner stuff before hubby gets home from work. add in the evening school activities that i have to manage to squeeze in somehow, and its amazing im still standing most days. she will literally sleep for maybe 5 minutes if i put her down.. long enough for me to go to the bathroom if im lucky.
    not only are my hormones all screwy - im just exhausted and have no time to even think about myself..with some feedings taking up to 3.5 hours, i just cant seem to balance anything.

Yes, I recall how it is to have a baby attached to us, feeding almost constantly and squeezing in naps while they do! :)

Reading ^^ seems you should just make something for yourself while you're feeding your older kids breakfast, lunch, snacks, dinner. I also like the idea of you baking easy & healthy snacks over the weekend while your hubby's around to help with the kids.

Just a precaution ~ be careful to cut up your foods like you would for a toddler. As example, I truly almost choked to death while nursing my newborn and snacking on grapes! I was all alone and hungrily popping them in my mouth and one got seriously lodged in my throat ~ they are exactly the size to block our airways. So as they suggest to cut in 1/2 grapes and slice down the middle hotdogs and such for our kiddies, so too should we especially when one handed eating while holding our babies. Just a FYI :)

Enjoy your new baby!
  • juliana813
    juliana813 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    spinach takes 2 minutes to cook with garlic, is delicious, and healthy (Depending on how much olive oil you use) :D it's one of my favourite things to eat! also, carrots and hummus you can eat with one hand (if you set the hummus down) just be careful to watch your portion sizes :-)
  • Woomytron
    Woomytron Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Sorry if this sounds mean but sometimes they gotta just cry. I mean if you wanna be healthy then you have to put some time into cooking. Doesn't mean she has to sit there and cry for hours on end but 10 minutes isn't going to hurt her. Baby wearing is also a good thing, she will be right there and you will have both hands free. If you are BF (I couldn't tell by your post and didn't read all the comments) then its very important to eat healthy and drink lots. Good luck.

What I learned with my first (and only right now) baby is to freeze some meals for the first few weeks so I can just throw it in the oven. I had a c-section and was breastfeeding and was the only one that woke up with him, I was a zombie.
  • rosemaryhon
    Options
    Hold her in one arm and prepare your food with the other, or get one of those fancy slings. Also, if they want to whine a little while you fix your food, let them. It's really not going to hurt them, as long as they are changed, fed, etc.

- Mom of twins.

I agree with this ^^. And actually it's not good for nursing baby if mama's not well nurioushed. So I'd say if need be let the baby whine for the couple of minutes it takes to make a sandwich.
  • rosemaryhon
    Options
    >>"...So you think it's okay to let a 2 week old just cry?...">>

++++++++

Yes, I do. If need be I'd say it's vital a nursing mom let baby cry for the few minutes it would take to fix something to eat for herself. Mom NEEDS to eat so as to provide more milk, no?
  • Textmessage
    Textmessage Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Now you're just being ridiculous. That's not what I said at all. Practical suggestions can be stated in a compassionate manner. That is not the same thing as saying what she "wants to hear". Because of course saying only the nice comforting things isn't helpful either. But kind words can convey a firm message as well or better than harsh ones. Especially to a person who is likely to internalize the emotional aspect of the harsher language (lazy, exaggerating, weak, etc) and be even less likely to dredge up the wherewithal to actually apply any of the suggestions. Two weeks PP is an INSANE time in a woman's head. Think of the biggest misunderstanding you've had with an oversensitive female at her time of the month who figures she's fat, ugly, worthless, and cannot do ANYTHING right... and then multiply it by 20 or so.

Bluntness has its uses, and there are appropriate times for it. This isn't one of them. If you actually want to be helpful to a person in the OP's type of situation (as opposed to just feel good about dashing off a quick reply that any reasonable person should be able to make good use of), it can be important to couch suggestions and ideas in language that is free of judgmental terms and focuses on the person needing the help, rather than all the things that person is doing wrong.

I'll agree to disagree. I don't have any issue conveying my thoughts as I do. :)
  • 2FatToRun
    2FatToRun Posts: 810 Member
    Options

Google, or search your favorite food sites, for recipes or enter things that sound good and create your own variations. Buy microwave food if you really have no time.
    lol really? have you ever given birth and then had the child attached to your chest to feed almost constantly? not only am i overwhelmed with the new baby, i have two other kids to try to take care of while my husband is at work. i sleep 4 hours a night, get up early to feed the baby before i get the other kids up to get ready for school.. walk them to school and come home to feed baby again.. the last two days ive ended up napping after that feeding because im just so tired. i get up and go get kid #2 from school and get her home for lunch.. try to do some housework in between making her lunch and the next baby feeding.. then i go get kid #1 from school and get her snack, feed baby, and try to work on dinner stuff before hubby gets home from work. add in the evening school activities that i have to manage to squeeze in somehow, and its amazing im still standing most days. she will literally sleep for maybe 5 minutes if i put her down.. long enough for me to go to the bathroom if im lucky.
    not only are my hormones all screwy - im just exhausted and have no time to even think about myself..with some feedings taking up to 3.5 hours, i just cant seem to balance anything.

Yes, I recall how it is to have a baby attached to us, feeding almost constantly and squeezing in naps while they do! :)

Reading ^^ seems you should just make something for yourself while you're feeding your older kids breakfast, lunch, snacks, dinner. I also like the idea of you baking easy & healthy snacks over the weekend while your hubby's around to help with the kids.

Just a precaution ~ be careful to cut up your foods like you would for a toddler. As example, I truly almost choked to death while nursing my newborn and snacking on grapes! I was all alone and hungrily popping them in my mouth and one got seriously lodged in my throat ~ they are exactly the size to block our airways. So as they suggest to cut in 1/2 grapes and slice down the middle hotdogs and such for our kiddies, so too should we especially when one handed eating while holding our babies. Just a FYI :)

Enjoy your new baby!

Thats why the OP is an exaggeration......she says she has NO time to eat. I guess that means her other 2 kids are starving as well. I dont understand what happened between the first child, then the second, that makes this 3rd one so different that is messing with her ability to set the child down for 5 mins make a freaking sammich pick the kid up,sling it and both eat together. What happened to it taking 30 seconds to grab an apple,banana or pear? When I was being a lazy fat slob and didnt want to miss the tv show I was watching I would wait til commercial and get up hurry to the kitchen heat up left over or make a sammich, grab some chips and place on plate, close chips, get a glass and pour me a drink and make it back in plenty of time not to miss my show. The OP need to dole out her time in a more responsible manner, or continue to make excuses, suck it up and deal. Maybe she will think twice before having a fourth since it seems to be getting harder for her instead of easier.
  • Wittymomma
    Wittymomma Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Two things come to my mind reading your post:

First: enlist some friends to make a meal and come over. Even give them healthy suggestions to make for you. You get nap, they have fun holding baby, a good meal is in the house. You need to take care of yourself to recover and keep your milk supply up. Which brings me to the second thing...

Second: have you talked to a lactation consultant? Even if your supply is fine, they can help you get Baby on a good schedule. I know folks have different theories on how to care for a little one (wear them all the time, schedule them, etc). This is what worked well for me and my little ones, and I have 8. Baby wakes, you feed them, they play (not so much in the beginning :D), they sleep. Make sure wee one gets a COMPLETE feeding. A consultant can weigh baby before and after feeding to see how much they are getting to eat. You could have a fast eater...in that case, long feedings are not really all eating. You could have a slow eater. In that case, Baby is NOT full after a few minutes of eating and is falling asleep or needs to burp or something and then eat some more. Look for the jaw action on Baby and for her to swallow. Keep her awake for the full feeding. 3 hours between the start of one feeding to the start of the next is fairly normal, even every 2 hrs if she's smaller....but hopefully some schedule will allow you both to get some naps and for your body to rest before feeding again (protect milk supply!).

Your are 2 weeks in, keep up the good work. It gets better every week as she gets bigger and you both get into the swing of things. Most of mine took 2 months to really get the hang of nursing, but then that crazy newborn nursing stuff paid off - I nursed my kids for about a year to year and a half. Two months is a long time....sounds like you're ahead of the game. It can be hair-pulling-out frustrating at first, but a very sweet time with your baby once it all starts working together!

Yes to all the other ideas: yogurt, almonds, fruit already washed and sliced, leave the housework alone for a month, put her in swing or bouncy seat for a chance for you to shower or prep your meal. Even if she cries for a few minutes, that's ok.

Let us all know how you're doing. :)
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I would not and have not let a two week old just cry if I can help it. One can find those 2 minutes it takes to grab some food another time, not when your baby is crying. Not only does it interfere with trust and bonding but babies also swallow air when crying, leading to painful gas.
  • andiechick
    andiechick Posts: 916 Member
    Options

Clearly, you've never nursed a newborn.

So when other women post about nursing and still having time to eat it's relevant? Are those women pulling it off not bound by a day that's made up of twenty-four hours like other women (and men)?

Each birth is completely different, for example when I had my eldest I had a section which was fine but I also had a lot of problems with my legs and feet and literally couldn't walk -6 yrs later I'm still on pain medication for the problem. My hubsand worked 12hr shifts and everyone else I knew was out of work so yeh, I can relate to what this lady is saying.

What pi$$es me off is when guys (and some women) come on having no first hand experience of experiencing problems after giving birth and treat the OP like she's an idiot for asking for help.

I believe this site is a support site not somewhere to make people feel like they are failing because they might be struggling in some way
  • lisamarie1780
    lisamarie1780 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel, I had two kids one after the other and my partner worked shifts in the poilce so I was alone with them most of the time. You really need a proper routine.
    Lots of breast fed babies just like the comfort of being on the breast and arent actually hungry. Try and space out the feeds more and when you do feed, let the baby feed from both breasts until he/she falls asleep or comes off satisfied naturally, that way he/she may be satisified for longer between feeds. Hold and love your baby but don't be afraid to let him/her cry once in a while so that you can prepare something to eat for yourself or see to the other kids. It's OK for your baby to cry as long as they are safe in the cot. You have to look after yourself or you will burn out.
    Make a time for bedtime. I did this from the moment they were born. 7pm was bathtime, then bed in a dark quiet room. They didn't take to it straight away but eventually they learnt and kids like that, routine makes them feel safe and helps you cope. Once they are in bed maybe prepare your meals for the next day. Make some salads, grill some chicken that you can have cold the next day. Chop fruit up and veg that is ready to eat. Just simple stuff. Get healthy snacks in that you can eat on the go like nuts and seeds, dark chocolate.
    I know it's hard but you need to take control and don't let the kids set the rules. I have been there myself and was a midwife also so have seen plenty of mums in the same situation. Getting a routine will help you get through the day though and OK you won't be able to stick to it military style at first but as baby gets older, the more predictable and easy it will become.