MelyndaWaldner Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I love each and every one of my tattoos even my "tramp stamp"

I have seen "trashy" people without tattoos

To each their own
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    Would anyone have gotten their tattoos some decades ago when they weren't socially acceptable?

Good question. I would like to think I would. I have wanted ink as long as I can remember. As a kid, I used to draw designs for my "future" tattoos. LOL I'm pretty sure it probably has something to do with a past life.

I got my first tattoo 30 years ago, when I was 16 years old. At that time, only 1% of the females in the US had a tattoo, so they were pretty socially unacceptable. I still got it. Must be the rebel in me. :drinker:
  • LowFatMama
    LowFatMama Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I too have the 'tramp stamp' among many more tattoos. :bigsmile: And I'm pretty dam fabulous, so put that in your pipe & smoke it! :smokin:

No, but seriously.... how on earth is having a tattoo trashy? That is just being judgmental & ignorant if ya ask me. But hey, to each their own!
  • farrahlopeman
    Options
    People in today's society have no idea about art! It doesn't have to be on canvas to be considered art! So what if a person wants to use their body as a canvas, it is their right to do so. I however have seen some tattoos that I don't and wouldn't classify as art but then again it is the persons choice on what they want and where they want to put it. I have a lower back tatt and I wouldn't change a thing about it! It was beautifully done and has meaning to it! I won't stop until I have what I want and if that means my body is covered then so be it! Have a great weekend! :)
  • JavaSparrow
    JavaSparrow Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I didn't mean to start a pro-tattoos vs. anti-tattoos thread. -_-
    I meant to start a pro-lower back tattoos vs. anti-lower back tattoos thread. xD
    Obviously if you don't like tattoos, lower back tattoos would be no exception.
    But lower back tattoos apparently aren't so socially acceptable since they still cause discrepancies even among people who like tattoos.
    But the more I'm reading these responses, I'm disliking lower back tattoos less.
    Maybe for some people having a "tramp stamp" is just a sign of female sexuality :p when I look at it like that, I don't think it's so tacky.
    Part of the reason I looked down on them before was because they were kind of cliche.
    But if all tattoos are cliche now, then that's not really a big deal.
    Or maybe I didn't like them because it just meant somebody didn't bother to fix their shirt that was riding up, probably on purpose so people could see their cliche tattoo xD
    But supposing you have a nice tattoo, and you dress appropriately for wherever you're at, maybe that's the real difference between "tramp stamp" and lower back tattoo.
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym Posts: 5,573 Member
    Options
    I would never get one there, because of their stigma, but otherwise, I love tattoos that can be covered when need be, i.e. for work and at my parents house.
  • hmandt70
    hmandt70 Posts: 45
    Options
    i dont have any tattoos but i am not against ppl who have them... its just not something i want. however with that said, i believe everyone has different opinions and if they want them, thats cool. they should also be able to decide where to put them on their body without society labeling the location as "trashy". granted, a playboy bunny ears symbol would look trashy anywhere, but a quote or something else that is sentimental to them should not be. also, the lower back is a good location if you have a career where body art is frowned upon. to each their own, i say!
  • jerknoir
    jerknoir Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Terms like "tramp stamp" are just another term to police and shame people's bodies/decisions. Lately people have been trying to establish that same opinion for rib and wrist tattoos. Like I'm not a big fan of a thousand eighteen year old girls with an infinity sign on their wrists but who am I to judge them?

*kitten* it what's wrong with being a little trashy anyway? People too simple minded to accept such a lovely art form are no one I want to impress. :smokin:
  • ajschust27
    ajschust27 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    My only problem with the lower back tatt is that they are all the same design. A tattoo is supposed to be original and mean something.
  • InnerConflict
    InnerConflict Posts: 1,592 Member
    Options
    Trashy people that happen to have & flaunt lower back tattoos are the cause the stigma. Of course the tatoo in itself has nothing to do with whether someone is trashy or not. This really isn't any different than other negative stereotypes. I could name many but that would just cause even more unnecessary nastiness.
  • toni_myers0915
    toni_myers0915 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I have several tatoos, even the tramp stamp and dreaded play boy bunny tatoos!!!! oh my!! lmao but lets be honest i did not get those tatoos to be "classy" i got it to be sexy ( I was like 19) tatoos can be beautiful and pretty but i don't know if i could ever classify them as classy especially a lower back tatoo. With that being said obviously i don't feel that it is trashy either or that just because someone has a tatoo there that they are either classy or trashy. People these days are extremly judgemental and lets be honest that just the world we live in like it or not!! There is a reason its called a tramp stamp, because the "majority of people" find it tramp like, plain and simple...............Thats all I have to say on the matter of me and my tramp stamp :)
  • ejbraun
    ejbraun Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I think all tattoos are eyesores. They make attractive people look kind of trashy. Just my humble opinion.

You know what else makes people look kind of trashy? Judgmental comments.

^ Exactly what I was thinking :flowerforyou:
  • InnerConflict
    InnerConflict Posts: 1,592 Member
    Options
    My only problem with the lower back tatt is that they are all the same design. A tattoo is supposed to be original and mean something.

Whether a tat is supposed to mean something is an entirely different debate that also causes nasty responses
  • HappyNinjaStar
    HappyNinjaStar Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    you know, it may be one of the classier locations. Before it got classified as the 'tramp stamp', it was an ideal location for a little self expression through body art. You can go out to a black tie event and no one need ever know you have a tattoo, or if you feel like showing it off, low cut jeans or a bikini can help you out. You'll never be excluded from a job for it.

A lower back tattoo does not inherently make one 'trashy'. There are quite a few factors that will lead to a 'trashy' appearance, and IHO, a lower back tattoo is not high on the list of items that equate to trashy.
  • Meaganandcheese
    Meaganandcheese Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    I have a lower back tattoo. It's not and never has been a "tramp stamp" because I am not and never have been a tramp.
  • evdvelde
    evdvelde Posts: 26
    Options
    "Looks trashy" not "is trashy "two different meanings
  • 5n0wbal1
    5n0wbal1 Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I'm mixed on this. I myself have three pretty large tattoos, one on the side of each thigh and one in the middle of my chest. I considered the lower back as a place only for a "tramp stamp" til my mom got one. Frankly, she's far from a tramp; she only got it for my dad's sake. It's one of the best places to hide it if you need to.
  • Tuffjourney
    Tuffjourney Posts: 971
    Options
    I want to be a tramp with a stamp.....:sad:
  • DalekBrittany
    DalekBrittany Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    I would never get one there, because of their stigma, but otherwise, I love tattoos that can be covered when need be, i.e. for work and at my parents house.

Just curious, hope you don't mind me asking, but why do you have to cover them at your parents' house?
  • DalekBrittany
    DalekBrittany Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    Terms like "tramp stamp" are just another term to police and shame people's bodies/decisions. Lately people have been trying to establish that same opinion for rib and wrist tattoos. Like I'm not a big fan of a thousand eighteen year old girls with an infinity sign on their wrists but who am I to judge them?

*kitten* it what's wrong with being a little trashy anyway? People too simple minded to accept such a lovely art form are no one I want to impress. :smokin:

BOOM. Knowledge bomb.