Grocery Store Snob??

Options

Replies

• JenniferMary_9169
    Options
    Lol this topic is ridiculous. Worry about what YOU eat.

^^^THIS! Now in addition to "fat shaming", there is now "grocery cart shaming"?!?!?
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options

This makes no sense. What makes you think your children will starve if you feed them healthy food?

My son is super picky... he has missed a few dinners in his short lifetime but he's never missed a healthy breakfast and his lunch box is usually empty. Most of the time he will eat dinners I prepare and if not, no sweat. Be hungry for tonight. He will be starved for nutrients for the rest of his life if I feed him what he wants to eat, better he go without for the day instead.

What? Please tell me this is a sarcastic comment.

No it isn't . If my son misses a meal I don't sweat it. He will eat at the next meal. Missing a meal isn't a big deal.

True story. If I didn't like what my mom cooked, which was often because she wasn't a very good cook, I didn't get any alternatives and no dessert.

If they are hungry they will eat. If you cook decent they will def eat. My son wouldnt touch mashed potatoes so I found a way to make him touch them...bacon bits. It is your responsibilty as a parent to teach your child that this is whats for dinner you eat it or you go hungry. BUT, you also teach them how to meet you half way and allow them to contribute by giving ideas that would help them to eat what is available. WIN, WIN all the way around not only for you and the "Battle of Dinner Hill" but for society in general. Any child that learns there is a medium to be met in disagreements will make for a healthy less angry adult.

You're a good mom!

Ya know what's funny though, in all my years on this earth...the most angriest adults I've ever met are many times (not always...but the ones I personally know) are/were some of the most spoiled and pampered/catered to as children--children who their parents were/are actually scared of their own children, afraid to say no and set boundaries and standards that will make little Johnny or Suzie feel sad, mad or act bad and/or who their parents worship as little gods or something:laugh: . And just the opposite for children who didn't get their way(s) the majority of the time--but those children who had to earn their keep, work hard and learn to be content with joy with what they had...are many times (not always) some of the coolest and generous, well-balanced adults that I know. Everyone is different and like in lifestyles, one size doesn't fit all--that's for sure!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I've actually changed grocery stores b/c the checkers for three weeks, I kid you not, would ask if I was making soup or having company over because I had so many veggies. I told them that I was just prepping for our family of 3 for the week. They each stated that they wouldn't eat 1/2 the stuff. They also had to look up some 'difficult' vegetables...like radishes, sugar snap peas, etc. SO, I no longer shop there and drive two miles farther where the produce is better priced and I don't get the third degree regarding my purchases. I'm happy with my decision.

:laugh: 'difficult veggies':laugh:

i had this young guy check me out once and he asked if my parnips were carrots. I told him yes, they were albino carrots, thinking I was being funny. Then he looked at the veggie price list and when he couldn't find them asked if they rang up under the same number.
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options
    "I work in a grocery store, and a good way to make time pass faster when cashiering AND a good way to make me more motivated to work out or buy healthier stuff myself is beep MOUNTAINS of ice cream, frozen pizzas, pop, beer etc., see how chubby the people buying them are and just feel grossed out by the amount of junk going through my hands. I never say anything to a customer, of course. "

That's a ****ed up thing to say

Yes, it certainly is.
  • Mbishop7684
    Mbishop7684 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I don't pay too much attention because my cart/bag is all over the place!! I will have 6 bottles of wine, chips, burgers, buns, quinoa, romaine lettuce, fish, hummus, broccoli etc. Some is for me and some is for my fiance. You never know who the person shopping is buying for. There are times when I look at someones cart and I see something incredibly healthy and delicious- I usually ask them politely where they found it because it looks amazing! :-)
  • kar328
    kar328 Posts: 4,156 Member
    Options
    I don't pay attention to other carts other than to see if the one on the line I'm heading towards is full, and I'll look for a quicker one. The checkers can be annoying with making comments on food, healthy or otherwise. I've had some even open a magazine I'm attempting to buy and start looking at it. One time I was buying groceries and also had two of the store baked donuts in a bag. Obnoxious checker dude asked if I wanted the bag to hold as he said I would be eating them right now. I reported his *kitten*. I tend to put my earphones on and listen to music to try to cut down on some of the checkout line drama. I sometimes think of grocery shopping as my little personal time, I like wandering the aisles and doing my thing, I don't think of it as a social event.
  • toni_myers0915
    toni_myers0915 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    It would be hard for me to care less, just do not pay with a check. It is 2013!!!

^^^ I agree 100%!!! I mean really people still accept checks?? lmao :noway:
  • c_faulkenburg
    c_faulkenburg Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I have three small children. I don't often get to go to the grocery store alone but when I do, I'm usually so excited to be by myself that I get totally wrapped up in what I'm doing and pay absolutely no attention to anyone else. Glad to know that so many other people are judging though.
  • LBNOakland
    LBNOakland Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Children will NOT starve themselves (excluding those with medical conditions of course) and eventually will eat. I will be damned if my girls become overweight because I've fed them crap for my convenience. If I can teach them anything at all, it is that they are to take care of their bodies properly via nutrition and activity. I can only hope they learn by the example of my struggle with obesity and never do to their bodies what I have done to mine.

Nothing makes me more sad then overweight children.

So what makes you fat, the food choices or an overall caloric surplus, regardless of food choices?

My struggle with binge eating, bad food choices and an overall caloric surplus have made me fat. I've been yoyo dieting since I was 13 and hit an all time high of 283 lbs at 22 years old. My mother had a habit of allowing us to eat as much as we wanted of anything we wanted. No one practiced portion control. I wasn't aware of how big I was until I heard a school mate call me fat in gym class. That started the yoyo dieting. I would drop the weight quickly and then resort back to my old ways and gain it back plus some. I had a relatively rough childhood (parents struggling with mental illness, alcoholism, domestic violence, eventually divorce) which ended with being disowned by my mother last year. At times I felt I had a pretty good handle on controlling the binge eating, but when things got really rough with my mom, I resorted to food for comfort.

It's only now in the last 9 months that I've been able to loose some of the weight, keep it off & keep going. That has been through portion control, better food choices and physical activity. I've also acknowledged recently that I have a problem with binge eating. It has been 21 days since I last binged. And for the record, I don't blame my parents for my issues, because at some point I became and adult and should have started making better choices on my own. It's my demon now & I'm doing my best to deal with it one day at a time.

And when I see an overweight child, I wonder why. Picky eater? Busy parents? Things not going well at home? Medical condition? I fell I have a responsibility to mind my own business with this as well as with what other people put in their carts, but I can't help but feel it tug at my heart strings when I see a child who may struggle for the rest of their lives, especially when I'm trekking through the same waters a couple of decades later.

So that is why seeing an overweight child makes me sad, if you must know.

I am sorry for all that you have endured. I empathaze with the overweight child and yo yo dieting as I battled my whole life as well.

I had wonderful parents who grew up in a time of want. For them, providing us with plenty or way more than plenty was to compensate for their childhoods of not having enough. Two pork chops was a serving. Every celebration involved food. Every reward was chocolate or some other sweet treat. Dinner was eaten in front of the tv, not at a table.

I had to learn to balance that when my own kids came along. I knew it was my responsibility to break the cycle and teach them healthier and active lifestyles. ALL meals are eaten at the table. Dinner is family talk time - single most important thing you can do for your kids, IMO!! We are not members of the clean plate club - a memorable fight with the inlaws! One pork chop is a serving. Sweet treats are rare not daily. I have 4 children. They all love fruits and veggies. Will eat just about anything! My girls don't struggle with their weight at all. One is very conscious of what she eats. The other loves her junk. Now that she is 18, she buys it. My boys are chubby. My oldest slimmed down as a teen. My baby concerns us. he is overweight. We limit TV time and computer games. Recently, we have begun to limit sweets and portions. I don't want to deal with eating disorders later. its a fine line. I try to encourage him and he works out with me now.

I guess what I am saying is, as parents, we ahve to teach them how to make healthy choices. In the long run, it is going to be their choice. Train them up in the way they should go and in the end, they will not depart from it.
  • moxiecowgirl
    moxiecowgirl Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I don't so much judge anyone else's cart as I look over my own and feel proud that I'm making better choices now. But I do feel the overwhelming urge to "explain" anything that doesn't fit in the commonly defined perception of what is healthy food. I allow myself 1-2 sodas a week, always Coke Zero just because that's what I like, and I don't think a week has passed yet that I haven't made some borderline self-deprecating remark as to how everyone must have a vice and this is mine.

I do get the occasional comment on the contents of my cart, usually asking if something really tastes that good. The biggest draw so far has been my protein shakes. I have to have them to increase my protein intake post-surgery, since my stomach can no longer hold the amount of meat and cheese it takes to meet my protein needs. I don't really mind the comments, or honest questions. What bugs the Sam heck out of me is when they wrinkle their nose and/or say something like "I couldn't eat that"...ok, that's your thing, I'm not asking you to eat it. I'm asking you to ring it up for me, now move along.
  • crystalnichle
    crystalnichle Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I'm such a snob at the store. lol its sad really. But I cant help but judge people who are clearly obese when they have a cart full of soda and bacon. I saw a few week ago a man who was in one of those electric carts and could barely fit on the seat and the small basket in front was filled with cokes.. If he would have gotten off it would have tipped over from the amount of soda!
  • Anthonydaman
    Anthonydaman Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I feel very superior when my cart is full of veggies,fruits, lean ground turkey, etc and I look at other peoples carts that are full of soda,chips, and cookies
  • carolynhart01
    carolynhart01 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    "I couldn't eat that"...

Gosh, you mean your not buying lunch for the checker... That cracks me up.
  • Heaven71
    Heaven71 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    UGH I went to the store for the salad bar today and at the Express cashier the woman had 25 items then fills out a check and proceeds to balance her checkbook right there at the counter! SERIOUSLY!!!
  • dfonte
    dfonte Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I'm going to the store after work. I'm most likely going to buy a frozen pizza and ice cream. This is a very healthy option - for me that is.

Here's the thing. I'm running a 5K, doing a yoga class (don't judge), and playing pick up soccer for a few hours tomorrow. Excessive fats and carbs (sugar) will give me the energy I need.

Don't judge my heart by my cart.
  • atb0821
    atb0821 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    I've actually changed grocery stores b/c the checkers for three weeks, I kid you not, would ask if I was making soup or having company over because I had so many veggies. I told them that I was just prepping for our family of 3 for the week. They each stated that they wouldn't eat 1/2 the stuff. They also had to look up some 'difficult' vegetables...like radishes, sugar snap peas, etc. SO, I no longer shop there and drive two miles farther where the produce is better priced and I don't get the third degree regarding my purchases. I'm happy with my decision.

I must buy difficult veggies too. I get the craziest looks when they pick up my stuff. I seriously had a girl ask me what every single veggie was one time.
  • Jxnsmma
    Jxnsmma Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    A while back I was in the grocery store and a family of 4 extremely obese people in clothes about 6 sizes too small (mom dad and 2 sons) were in front of me with 2 entire carts loaded full of 2L's of pop, chocolate bars, cases of kraft dinner, ritz crackers and pizza pops, about 20 packages of hot dogs and white buns and no evidence of one single fruit or vegetable or a container of milk. Was rather eye opening, really... They were sweating so bad, It looked like their poor little hearts were gonna explode just emptying their carts. Made me want a carrot and a burpee.
  • Illona88
    Illona88 Posts: 903 Member
    Options

I must buy difficult veggies too. I get the craziest looks when they pick up my stuff. I seriously had a girl ask me what every single veggie was one time.

When I worked in checkout at a supermarket we had to type in numeric codes for all the vegetables. The vegetables that were bought a lot, you would remember the code really quickly, but if there was a vegetable you don't have to check so often, we would have to look up the code. That's probably what they meant with "difficult veggies". It's just that they don't know the code for it.

And if they have to ask, it's probably because they're new.
  • rebbylicious
    rebbylicious Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I have a large family and some days I go in to buy "meal items" (veggies, dairy, spices etc) and other times I go in to get "snack items" (sweet cereals they eat for desserts once in a while, cheese its, lunchables (they get one ever few months as a snack), frozen pizzas, wine for me, fruit snacks (i used them a lot to potty train my 3 yr old) etc. SOme days my cart is pure healthy and the other days it is all junk food. I am sure I get looks.

We don't drink soda very often in our house, (the kids are allowed 1 soda on the weekend and it cannot have caffeine) But I think about the times that I have stocked up for a party (2 or 3 12 packs) and It is embarrassing to have all that soda in the cart.

Just remember- someone could be buying all of the junk food to last a month or all of the soda for a large party. My husband and kids eat junk for snacks but healthy unprocessed meals are mandatory. My vice is the starbucks (i get a kid size to cut calories) or the almond ring at the bakery.
  • ncl1313
    ncl1313 Posts: 237 Member
    Options

The only checker comment I've ever gotten was "Um...what is this? Celery root? That sounds gross. Is this celery root too? Oh. I've never heard of jicama."