Grocery Store Snob??

Options

Replies

• fit4lifeUcan2
    fit4lifeUcan2 Posts: 1,458 Member
    Options
    I always look at what other people put on the check out conveyor belt and think OMG look at all of that carp!!! Then they buy the diet soda lol..as if that will cancel out the garbage or something lol I do it all the time. Can't help myself.
  • EmilyEmpowered
    EmilyEmpowered Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    Didnt read all the comments, but I will say that the only time I have judged anyone based on what they bought was a couple who were in line in front of me, loudly BRAGGING about how much they get a month in foodstamps (over $600) because they work under the table and dont claim that income. They had their cart loaded up with 12 packs of pepsi, mountain dew, and root beer plus a whole lot of CRAP I mean chips, little debbies, etc etc. Now I am a single mother of two little ones, I get no help from the system and it just irked me that they got way MORE than enough to feed theirselves and their 2 children, and to buy all of this name brand, expensive, nutriotionally worthless CRAP. Nothing good in there at all besides the meat. It was 2 and a half years ago, and I am still pissed about it!! haha :laugh:
  • fit4lifeUcan2
    Options
    I'm going to the store after work. I'm most likely going to buy a frozen pizza and ice cream. This is a very healthy option - for me that is.

Here's the thing. I'm running a 5K, doing a yoga class (don't judge), and playing pick up soccer for a few hours tomorrow. Excessive fats and carbs (sugar) will give me the energy I need.

Don't judge my heart by my cart.

hahaha no that job is up to your cardiologist :laugh:
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options
    I'm going to the store after work. I'm most likely going to buy a frozen pizza and ice cream. This is a very healthy option - for me that is.

Here's the thing. I'm running a 5K, doing a yoga class (don't judge), and playing pick up soccer for a few hours tomorrow. Excessive fats and carbs (sugar) will give me the energy I need.

Don't judge my heart by my cart.

hahaha no that job is up to your cardiologist :laugh:

:huh:
  • Fat_Bottomed_Girl
    Fat_Bottomed_Girl Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I only notice when their cart is JAM PACKED to the hilt with pure junk food. -And then I wonder where the party is.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    "Healthy" is a pretty relative term. According to many here at MFP, my diet wouldn't be "healthy" because I eat more than lettuce, carrots, and celery sticks. I eat beef...some people think that's "not healthy"...I eat eggs...the whole ****ing egg, not just the white...there are people that seem to think a whole egg is "unhealthy" I could go on and on.

People have all sorts of odd notions about what is "healthy" and "unhealthy". Far too many people here place too much emphasis on calories as being a measure of health rather than a measure of energy. Far too many people are afraid of fat and think it's unhealthy...and of course, carbs are the devil.

So know, I don't really judge anyone else's shopping cart...I just do what I do.
  • skinnytayy
    skinnytayy Posts: 459
    Options
    I do the same thing ... and if I have to pick up some kind of junk for a friend or something, I feel like I'm being judged.
  • fit4lifeUcan2
    Options
    Absolutely not.

Whose definition of "healthy" do you use to judge others?

I work out regularly (cardio & strength), maintain a BMI < 19, wear size 00 to 2 (depending on brand & cut), and get a smiley face from my doctor on my lab results from my physical.

My typical cart contains everything from diet drinks, microwave popcorn, peanut butter crackers, frozen pizzas, angel food cake, pre-made mashed potatoes, deli fried chicken, ice cream to salad, eggs, almond milk, low fat/low sugar yogurt, and fresh nuts, fruits & veggies.

So, what exactly would you say to me about my food choices?

sounds like my cart except I prefer greek yogurt :laugh:
    Oh and no fried chicken but love the rotisserie chicken. yummm!!!
  • jenniferrusso7393
    jenniferrusso7393 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    My cart always has a mix of both... But I rarely pay attention to what others are buying, and I figure everybody else is pretty much the same... I'm not self conscious at all...
  • YoungDoc2B
    YoungDoc2B Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    I seriously wonder what types of grocery stores you all shop at,where people have nothing better to do than judge your cart as you unload.
  • fit4lifeUcan2
    Options

This makes no sense. What makes you think your children will starve if you feed them healthy food?

My son is super picky... he has missed a few dinners in his short lifetime but he's never missed a healthy breakfast and his lunch box is usually empty. Most of the time he will eat dinners I prepare and if not, no sweat. Be hungry for tonight. He will be starved for nutrients for the rest of his life if I feed him what he wants to eat, better he go without for the day instead.

What? Please tell me this is a sarcastic comment.

No it isn't . If my son misses a meal I don't sweat it. He will eat at the next meal. Missing a meal isn't a big deal.

True story. If I didn't like what my mom cooked, which was often because she wasn't a very good cook, I didn't get any alternatives and no dessert.

Oh we had to sit in the corner till we at everything!! Even liver with onions!! YUCK!! By the time I gave in that liver was cold and like leather. Not that it wasn't like leather to begin with. And my mother was the worst cook by the way. Burned everything or over cooked it till it was stiff as a board! We all had to spend time in that corner at least once or twice a week. We learned quickly how to sneak it to the dog under the table. My brothers used to claim they were allergic to gravy or mashed potatoes thinking they could get out of eating it lol. Never worked.:laugh: :laugh:
  • dunnodunno
    dunnodunno Posts: 2,290 Member
    Options
    I'm always checking out other shopper's carts -- sometime I want to say "Good for you!" to the stranger ahead. And when I see ice cream and cookies in another's cart I just think "too bad" and hope they get it soon.

So someone healthy still cannot have ice cream & cookies?

I cashier & cannot believe all the candy people buy for various holidays. It's mind boggling.
  • KickyLegs
    KickyLegs Posts: 53
    Options
    I seriously wonder what types of grocery stores you all shop at,where people have nothing better to do than judge your cart as you unload.

Oh come on, like you don't look out of curiosity!
  • mickeyullrich
    mickeyullrich Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I really don't care what other people put in their shopping carts and until today I didn't think that they cared what I put in mine! I buy mostly produce, yogurt and chicken, but I didn't realize that I was being judged for feeding my 4 healthy, active children an occasional chicken nugget, cookie or Kraft Macaroni and Cheese *Gasp*...Not everyone eats clean or perfectly healthy all of the time and it does not mean we are all heading for heart attacks at 40. I was perfectly thin until I had children and then I started staying home with them, became depressed and ate too much. Now I am in the process of becoming healthy again, feeding my children "mostly" healthy foods and keeping them active, but we are not perfect and I don't feel like we need to be to be good role models to them. Junk food is going to surround them their entire lives and if they learn to make healthy choices most of the time and eat the other stuff in moderation, I think they will be just fine :smile: !
  • YoungDoc2B
    Options

Oh come on, like you don't look out of curiosity!

Its not that I don't look...its just that I don't care. Why does it matter to me what they put into their bodies? Not affecting me in the slightest.
  • cakegobbler
    cakegobbler Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Too busy restraining a toddler to notice but now I'm paranoid about everything. In the last hour I've been on this forum getting annoyed by comments made by posters about other people's diets, restaurant orders and shopping carts. As I'm new here I just need to know - is smugness directly proportional to pounds lost? Grr
  • dfonte
    dfonte Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Just got back from the store. How did I do?

Focaccia Bread
    Giant Fudge Brownie
    Microwave Pancakes
    Walden Farms Pancake Syrup
    Tofu Noodles
    2 Bags of Tilapia
    2 Bags of Frozen Vegetables
    And of course some Mrs. Dash

33669104_529.jpg
  • carolynhart01
    carolynhart01 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I am mostly just happy that my cart has completely turned around. It used to be mostly microwavable/oven-heatable foods that were processed and bad for you, and now it's all meat, cheese, fresh and frozen vegetables, fruit, yogurt, etc. I'm really proud of myself.

This was what I was originally trying to say. The improvement in my own cart has amazed me. I will be proud of it. I will gloat in my head about it. I am proud of myself for making these changes.
  • thecakelocker
    thecakelocker Posts: 407 Member
    Options

Focaccia Bread
    Giant Fudge Brownie
    Microwave Pancakes
    Tofu Noodles
    2 Bags of Tilapia

33669104_529.jpg

Those BOGO tilapia bags are the BEST.
  • YoungDoc2B
    Options

Focaccia Bread
    Giant Fudge Brownie
    Microwave Pancakes
    Tofu Noodles
    2 Bags of Tilapia

33669104_529.jpg

No ice cream or pizza?

Disappointed.