Grocery Store Snob??

Options

Replies

• maureenkhilde
    maureenkhilde Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    I also thought it was going to be about Whole Foods, we now have Earth Fare, Lucky, Sprouts and Fresh Market. All stores that really have more organic, fresh food. Not as much processed food. But they do have bakeries with cakes with slices worth about 500 calories a pop. Maybe I am the odd person I really do not look at others carts and think I am making better choices. I have had cashiers make comments about amount of vegetables I buy and often ask me what some of them are and how to prepare them. I think that is a good thing.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    I clicked on the thread thinking it was going to be about shopping at Whole Foods compared to Shop Rite or something and was appalled to see what it was really about.

The first idea would have been merely pretentious and well, it's your money whatever, but ... what it's really about? Woah.

I can't even explain why the whole concept of looking in people's carts and asserting one's own superiority grinds my gears so much, but there you go. It really, really does.

In the first sense, I think I'm the opposite of a grocery store snob. I prefer different stores for different things, but I've never been in a grocery store that I didn't appreciate on some level. I'm always intrigued by how different stores have different things or how they're laid out. Just another expression of my lifelong love affair with food. :D

Same. I pay zero attention to what anyone else is buying. I'm too busy making sure I don't forget anything!

As to grocery stores, I have four different stores I go to regularly, including Whole Foods, because each of them has different things that our family uses, and some of them have better bargains than others. Some of them have things we just like.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    I assumed this was about the particular super market one went to. BTW, WF (which I like and shop at often) is so mundane, if you want to be hard core go to Plum Market or the like. Way more expensive.

Anyway, my supermarket purchases are more reasonable this time of year, but much of the year my produce is a combination of what I grow, what I get from my farm share, and what I supplement from the green market. I always get my meat from a farm or the local meat market, and same with fish. The grocery store is for frozen stuff, staples, diet soda (occasionally), and ice cream (occasionally). So feel free to judge, but you'd be basing it on bad info.

I really don't get people who get off on judging other people's carts.

My prior place was near Wrigley and if you went on the weekend everyone was buying beer and brats. Judge away!
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    I assumed this was about the particular super market one went to. BTW, WF (which I like and shop at often) is so mundane, if you want to be hard core go to Plum Market or the like. Way more expensive.

Anyway, my supermarket purchases are more reasonable this time of year, but much of the year my produce is a combination of what I grow, what I get from my farm share, and what I supplement from the green market. I always get my meat from a farm or the local meat market, and same with fish. The grocery store is for frozen stuff, staples, diet soda (occasionally), and ice cream (occasionally). So feel free to judge, but you'd be basing it on bad info.

My prior place was near Wrigley and if you went on the weekend everyone was buying beer and brats. Judge away!

Oh, we don't have a Plum Market!

BTW, my comment was made on the fly and awkwardly worded. Especially since I shop at WF for some items myself.

There's a difference between shopping at some stores because they have things you want and shopping at some stores because you think it's virtuous to shop there. I thought this thread was going to be about the latter.

Then again, I'm cheap and all about finding the things we want for the best price possible. Other people might have other priorities when they shop, and that's cool too.
  • newtnest
    newtnest Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Haha great comment. I always feel like people are looking at me funny when they see mostly healthy stuff, and then I throw in a chocolate bar lol. It's all about balance!! :D
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options

BTW, my comment was made on the fly and awkwardly worded. Especially since I shop at WF for some items myself.

There's a difference between shopping at some stores because they have things you want and shopping at some stores because you think it's virtuous to shop there. I thought this thread was going to be about the latter.

Then again, I'm cheap and all about finding the things we want for the best price possible. Other people might have other priorities when they shop, and that's cool too.

I make fun of Plum Market all the time, but kind of like it, It's Michigan-based but here now. My local supermarket is interesting since it appeals to a Middle Eastern community not far away (I'm lucky, my supermarket is 1.5 blocks away), and even more convenient is a German meat market super near my L stop that has decent produce, interesting other stuff (I got my chocolate-focused Advent calendar there), and a meat selection (and local farm connection) that puts WF to shame. Plus (since German) amazing sausage options.
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options

I make fun of Plum Market all the time, but kind of like it, It's Michigan-based but here now. My local supermarket is interesting since it appeals to a Middle Eastern community not far away (I'm lucky, my supermarket is 1.5 blocks away), and even more convenient is a German meat market super near my L stop that has decent produce, interesting other stuff (I got my chocolate-focused Advent calendar there), and a meat selection (and local farm connection) that puts WF to shame. Plus (since German) amazing sausage options.

I like Plum too. They have higher quality and some specialty items that are fun to get every so often. In terms of shopping there for everything... probably not. But I've always had good service there too and that is really important to me when grocery shopping.

If people want to judge, whatever. A lot of times, my cart is full of stuff for my boyfriend and his friends. So if anything, people will wonder how I eat that much sugar and high calorie items while staying lean. You never know who people are shopping for.
  • slimgirljo15
    slimgirljo15 Posts: 269,440 Member
    Options
    Nope; the only thing I look at concerning their cart is how much they are buying so I can decide if I need to find a shorter line or not. I've never paid attention to what others buy, but I've seen people eyeing my stuff; whether they are doing so intentionally or are just staring into space and that's where their gaze falls, I have no idea.

I'm the same.. I never notice except to determine which line will be faster to get through..
    My only concern is what's going into my trolley and ultimately my mouth.
  • skelterhelter
    skelterhelter Posts: 803 Member
    Options
    I could care less what other people eat -- all I care about is what I'm doing. Besides, I wouldn't want anyone to judge me for my food choices, so why would I do the same? :)
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,591 Member
    Options
    I get looking or, at least, glancing in people's carts. I mean, most of us aren't blind and they're right there in front of us in line but....the judging. Ugh!

I have wondered sometimes how the few items someone is buying go together or why someone was buying sooooooooooo many boxes of sleeping pills but those are just fun games (hopefully for the sleeping pill guy too. Uh, you know what I mean :) )

• Steph_135
    Steph_135 Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    Lead by example. ;) Love this topic! Been there too.