Grocery Store Snob??

Options

Replies

• HannahJDiaz25
    HannahJDiaz25 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I used to rarely think about other peoples carts, BUT then one day I was standing in check out and a lady behind me made a loud and rude comment about " how annoying she thinks those" obnoxious people who eat rabbit food to stay skinny ..."
    She went on talk about how she was glad she could enjoy her life and not worry about what people thought about her.
    (She was rather large and DID have the giant cart of Doritos, frozen pizza etc.)
    I DID have fruits and veggies but I also had lean meats, cheese and dairy. Just not a lot of pre-made processed foods.
    It was so obvious I was meant to hear her comments.
    SO...now YES I do notice what people buy and if they LOOK healthy or not BUT I don't do it to gloat so much as just learn from what I see.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I check out others carts too. When I see someone that is very overweight and all they have is a cart full of junk I just want to put it all back on the shelves and help them shop for better options. I'm convinced if I could just show them how to they can eat healthy on a budget and that it doesn't have to be all rabbit food that they'd change their ways and be healthier and thank me for it.

You should start a Healthy Shopper business! You might be surprised how many peopel would take you up on it! Been there and still am to a certain degree!! Trying to shop healthy when all you've known is junk can be intimidating!! Having soemone to shop with you ro for you when starting this journey would help many of us get or stay on track. They have Super Nanny! Why not Super Healthy Shopper!!!

I would love to do something like that. My husband says I'm crazy.
  • GracefulDancer4Christ
    GracefulDancer4Christ Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    oh yes!

at walmart when I went to pay for a portion control plate to help me control my portions and eat healthy the ladies saw the plate in my hand and said someone is sure going to starve tonight? I said umm no I am working on controlling my portions and I began eating 3 meals and 2 snacks I am bye no means starving. I was snubbed for wanting to get a healthy lifestyle
  • Willowana
    Willowana Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Funny thing is, at 266 lbs. when I started MFP, my grocery cart still has not changed much since then. I always shop on the outer isles of the store. Meats, whole grain breads, fruits and veggies, and dairy. I go into the isles for very few items like condiments and such.

You can get fat eating anything. You can also lose weight eating anything. Being aware of your daily/weekly caloric intake is what matters.

I wonder sometimes what cart watchers think when they see a very obese chick with a cart full of simple, staple foods. I'd be curious to know how I would be judged. Do they automatically assume I'm on a diet? Because I've shopped this way for years. Do they think I must eat out all the time? Because I might only go out to eat ONCE every 2-3 weeks. (I prefer cooking for myself.)

Personally, I've never cared about what other people are buying. I hate grocery shopping so much, I just want to get in and get out as fast as possible. If I want to browse, I go to the Farmer's Market.
  • efirkey
    efirkey Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I notice but I try real hard to not pass any judgement on any one for their grocery choices. It's their business not mine. And we have all at one time or another bought something we were embarassed of like condoms.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    I really don't have time to look at other people's carts and think about what they are buying. I'm busy with you know, not spending my day off without my daughter in the grocery store pondering the dietary choices of strangers.

I buy junk and healthy foods because I've come to the realization that the "journey" I started 9 years ago is actually a lifelong process and that process is A LOT easier if I don't sweat the small stuff.
  • LeelaLosing
    LeelaLosing Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I don't see many unhealthy carts where I live but I'm forever fascinated by cart watching, imaging what other people will make and how they are going to prepare their cart ingredients.....and the boring carts make me sad for the culinary unadventuresome
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I do get jealous, like if they have a nice cake from the bakery or salmon. We are ultra frugal, otherwise I would have smoked salmon on my salad several times a week!
  • scarrletti_girl
    scarrletti_girl Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    I really don't have time to look at other people's carts and think about what they are buying. I'm busy with you know, not spending my day off without my daughter in the grocery store pondering the dietary choices of strangers.

I buy junk and healthy foods because I've come to the realization that the "journey" I started 9 years ago is actually a lifelong process and that process is A LOT easier if I don't sweat the small stuff.

yes i really like ur comment. :)

so true!!!!
  • Willowana
    Options
    I would love to do something like that. My husband says I'm crazy.

I know I would take you up on it. I've been seriously considering a raw and living food (gluten free) diet for awhile. I used to LOVE being vegan. Not for any hippie, political, animal-rights, or religious reason. I just simply felt better and had more energy. Since it's been so long, I'm doing a lot of research and remembering how I used to meticulously track my macro and micro nutrients to ensure I didn't have a deficiency in anything. I forgot how much work that was....LOL! But I also remember it being very expensive!
  • mank32
    mank32 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    mostly i just have to explain what ginger, daikon radishes, and bok choi are to the checkers.

i hope that no one looks in my basket and decides to comment on it, because

1. what i eat is not necessarily the reason i am so thin. it really doesn't matter what i eat. i'm going to be skinny regardless. i hate having to admit this.

2. it's easy for me to stick to fruits, veggies, lean meats, nuts and seeds. i like these things. i prefer to eat them. it is not an effort for me to eat broccoli and spinach like it is for some folks. i kinda hate having to admit this too.

i hope i can be an inspiration for someone who spies my basket. i hope no one looks and thinks "It must be so easy for her..." (because it IS easy, and ppl don't like hearing that)
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options

This makes no sense. What makes you think your children will starve if you feed them healthy food?

My son is super picky... he has missed a few dinners in his short lifetime but he's never missed a healthy breakfast and his lunch box is usually empty. Most of the time he will eat dinners I prepare and if not, no sweat. Be hungry for tonight. He will be starved for nutrients for the rest of his life if I feed him what he wants to eat, better he go without for the day instead.

What? Please tell me this is a sarcastic comment.

No it isn't . If my son misses a meal I don't sweat it. He will eat at the next meal. Missing a meal isn't a big deal.
  • jily310
    jily310 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I am guilty too! I am also a food label snob. People look at me like - Why does she read every label. They have no idea that I used to weigh over 200 lbs!!!
  • mrswaite08
    mrswaite08 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Nope! Not this girl! I mind my own business & expect others to do the same. It's all I can do to get through the store with my girls and get everything on my list. I don't have time to inspect others' carts. I tend to have a good mix in mine: produce, meats, a bag of chips (If I want some chips with lunch, I'm going to have them assuming they fit within my calorie goal for the day) crackers and dairy. I might even buy a carton of ice cream. My cart, my problems, right?
  • Illona88
    Illona88 Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    I look in other people's cart and baskets just to come up with new meal ideas.
  • hannakengu
    hannakengu Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I work in a grocery store, and a good way to make time pass faster when cashiering AND a good way to make me more motivated to work out or buy healthier stuff myself is beep MOUNTAINS of ice cream, frozen pizzas, pop, beer etc., see how chubby the people buying them are and just feel grossed out by the amount of junk going through my hands. I never say anything to a customer, of course.

I don't think I've ever felt so bad about other people's choices (in general, it's their choices, not mine) than last weekend, when a very high-ranking politician whose area of responsibility is health care came to my cashier line and bought 4 frozen pizzas and 3 packs of ice cream, plus some chocolate and candy. Although she is a skinny/normal-sized lady who looks healthy (and usually buys healthier stuff, she's a regular) and I get that sometimes you just want junk food, thinking she's responsible for health care development and eating/binging that did not make me feel good.
  • chunkydunk714
    chunkydunk714 Posts: 784 Member
    Options

yes i really like ur comment. :)

so true!!!!

I second this :)
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options

I don't think I've ever felt so bad about other people's choices (in general, it's their choices, not mine) than last weekend, when a very high-ranking politician whose area of responsibility is health care came to my cashier line and bought 4 frozen pizzas and 3 packs of ice cream, plus some chocolate and candy. Although she is a skinny/normal-sized lady who looks healthy (and usually buys healthier stuff, she's a regular) and I get that sometimes you just want junk food, thinking she's responsible for health care development and eating/binging that did not make me feel good.

Could have been a kids birthday?
  • SheilAnneSmith
    SheilAnneSmith Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    The biggest thing I always notice is that I help my mother-in-law do her weekly shopping, at a different time the I do mine, because she isn't patient and there is no way in heck I could get what I want with her barging forward.

Anyways, she's the type that won't take the time to make a decent meal (she's 79, always been like this!) her cart is stuffed with 99% frozen or processed items, and then banana's, because my father-in-law probably gets 90% of his nutrition from 3-4 bananas a day. Her idea of feeding him is opening a can of soup or throwing in a TV dinner! Her favorite meal is a cheap white bread smothered in 1/2 inch of pimento spread. She also can't cook meat, unless it's frozen and processed, and even then it's usually atrocious. She spends $100+ a week on food, that feeders her and her husband 3x a day and their son eats out there at lunch, as we are taking care of them.

My trips to the grocery store don't venture much outside of the produce department and dairy sections. We eat our own meat about 50% of the time, as we buy fish and chicken, just not beef or pork since we raise them. I spend $30-$40 a week for my meals/snacks and my husbands breakfast and lunch. It's just night and day between our two trips to the store without a doubt. And, heck. I guess he is 79 and he is 84 so they must be used to it!
  • Willowana
    Options

This makes no sense. What makes you think your children will starve if you feed them healthy food?

My son is super picky... he has missed a few dinners in his short lifetime but he's never missed a healthy breakfast and his lunch box is usually empty. Most of the time he will eat dinners I prepare and if not, no sweat. Be hungry for tonight. He will be starved for nutrients for the rest of his life if I feed him what he wants to eat, better he go without for the day instead.

What? Please tell me this is a sarcastic comment.

No it isn't . If my son misses a meal I don't sweat it. He will eat at the next meal. Missing a meal isn't a big deal.

You are a good mother. Better to teach him to eat right and miss a meal, than to let him shovel all the pizza and chicken nuggets he want. He can either be hungry for one night or drop dead of a heart attack at 40. I think what you are doing makes a lot of sense.