Grocery Store Snob??

Options

Replies

• mistesh
    mistesh Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    The crap in my cart is only for hubby... he's an adult and he can eat what he wants (literally and figuratively) My kids and hubby get dinner and lunches the healthiest way I can prepare them using things I choose. If hubby asks for "snacks" *eyeroll* I usually get them for him. His body, his choice. My kids? Eat what I cook and if not, eat it tomorrow. I'm not a short order chef. lol

^^ Agree. My son is away at college and it's just me and hubs for now. I am not my husband's mother or keeper. There are snacks and foods he likes that I don't, and vice versa. We pretty much agree on the meals, but the snacks are pretty different. I think it would be passive agressive for me to deliberately not buy foods he requests (we have a list on the fridge that we both add to throughout the week for food/tolietries that we need). He wants Doritos, I am buying Doritos. I don't have to eat them.

Haha, modern day wifely submission?
  • GnomeQueen84
    GnomeQueen84 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I honestly don't give a **** what other people buy.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I do look at what is in other peoples carts, I don't think bad thoughts, I do wonder what people think about my cart when half the stuff I buy isn't healthy....I don't want to starve my kids they are already skin and bones and I have to get things they will eat, chicken nuggets, fries, chips, so its really hard for me to eat healthy in a house full of un-healthy food :/ But I manage!

This makes no sense. What makes you think your children will starve if you feed them healthy food?
  • kbeech06
    kbeech06 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Hmm, well I can't judge others because hubby comes shopping with me. So with all my healthy stuff, there is also, crisps, chips, beer, brandy, chocolates, and other assorted crap. Not like I can tell him...NO you can't buy it.
  • Heaven71
    Heaven71 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    I do this as well, especially when they are extremely overweight I almost want to help them.

I secretly love going to the store after a run, it makes me feel a little elite or something and I am fully aware that people look at me, please do, I hope I inspire you.
  • StrongerKelly
    StrongerKelly Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I found myself doing it yesterday. A woman and her young grandson spent about 4 dollars less than I did, and their cart was full of chocolate bars, Coke, Tasty Cakes, fried chicken, snack bags of chips, etc. All I could marvel at is how I've become one of *those* people who has a cart full of items from the perimeter of the store and the organic/healthy aisle. I wasn't raised that way, but it's pretty cool. I try to keep myself from outwardly judging, though. I don't appreciate people judging ME, so I need to keep that in check.

Edited for an html goof.
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options
    This would be different than having a cart full of nothing but Cocoa Pebbles, ice cream and pop tarts.

Hmmm, good idea, maybe I'll get all 3 - the trifecta.

If I ever saw anyone with a cart like that, I would assume that they were going to have an awesome sleep over, & be hurt that I wasn't invited.

Point is, get over yourselves. It's not like a person's cart is a window into their soul or a measure of their value.
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    My cart is all over the place: organic baby spring mix, chicken breast, Greek yogurt, whole-grain bread, Eggland's Best eggs, cottage cheese, baby carrots, Pop-Tarts, ice cream, Tastykakes, Cap'n Crunch. Some of the treats are mine, some are my husband's and/or teenage son's. I don't much care what people think, but I suppose some might find the mix of items amusing.

This is pretty much me. I have tons of fruit, veggies, real meats, greek yogurt, then I have treats for me, hubs, and the kids. Once a month, I buy them both Lunchables (GASP!! I'm the worst mom, ever!!) .. lol

I'm not worried, my children are both healthy and active (and on target with their weight!), so that's all that matters to me! Hubs and I, we're working on our weight issues now, and both were learned behavors before we got together

lol word the people who do the shop at home for us must be confused at my monthly list.
    fresh veg and fruit, whole grain bread/pasta, quinoa, rice cakes, oreos, greek yogurt, cottage cheese, popcorn, doritos, macaroni salad, italian ice/ice cream bars, sunflower seeds, beer.
  • mlcantwell
    mlcantwell Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I buy most of my groceries online and have them delivered, so I guess the driver might think my choices are weird but they never say a thing. :)
  • ncl1313
    ncl1313 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Snob? Only in the sense that I'm very loyal to one particular store and I turn up my nose at the suggestion that I go to any of the others in town. I've never noticed what other people buy. Last week I had 3 cases of soda, 3 cases of beer, and 12 bags of chips with my regular groceries because I was going to a party and that's what the host had requested I bring. I also shop differently depending on budget and where I'm at in the month. Once every six to eight weeks I do a pantry and freezer replenish where I buy nothing but stuff from the dreaded middle of the store (including boxed mac and cheese and ice cream, etc.) and meat, meat, meat. I do my perimeter shopping as needed, sometimes weekly, sometimes bi-weekly. Depends on what I need. Point is, you're seeing one person/family at one moment in time. You have no idea what their outside situation is, and it seems really petty to judge a person based on their grocery cart. I guess I just don't care that much about what other people are up to. I hate grocery shopping. I just want to get in and out as quickly as possible.

ETA: For the record, my store of choice is Woodmans. If you don't have a Woodmans, I feel sorry for you ;)
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    I do look at what is in other peoples carts, I don't think bad thoughts, I do wonder what people think about my cart when half the stuff I buy isn't healthy....I don't want to starve my kids they are already skin and bones and I have to get things they will eat, chicken nuggets, fries, chips, so its really hard for me to eat healthy in a house full of un-healthy food :/ But I manage!

This makes no sense. What makes you think your children will starve if you feed them healthy food?

agreed, buy healthy food, and they'll eventually eat it. even if it is chicken nuggets have then eat veggies/fruit with it. i don't know why people think that kids can pick what crap they want to eat and make their own decisions. if they're hungry enough, they'll eat it
  • LindsayLL30
    LindsayLL30 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Has this happened to anyone esle? I fear I am becoming a grocery store snob. I look in other people's carts at the checkout and mentally gloat at my healthier choices or I am just totally shocked that the cart half full (maybe 3 bags worth) of junk cost more than my weeks worth of nutiritous food. I try to stop myself because we have all been there but it seems to happen every time.

Yep...But I always have been.... I find it very interesting to see what other perople are consuming...and most of the time its scary!
  • chunkydunk714
    chunkydunk714 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    When I see a cart full of junk food, I am reminded how closely poor nutrition is linked with poverty. Picture a single-mom struggling to make ends meet- she doesn't have a lot of time to cook, and doesn't have a lot of knowledge about nutrition. Heck yeah she's going to buy that box of frosted puffs for $0.99 because it's quick and easy and cheap, as opposed to turkey sausage links and scrambled eggs, or Greek yogurt and fresh berries.

A study done by Adam Drenowski and SE Specter, titled Povery and Obesity: The Role of Energy Density and Energy Costs, published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, ( http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/79/1/6.full ) found four things: "First, the highest rates of obesity occur among population groups with the highest poverty rates and the least education. Second, there is an inverse relation between energy density (MJ/kg) and energy cost ($/MJ), such that energy-dense foods composed of refined grains, added sugars, or fats may represent the lowest-cost option to the consumer. Third, the high energy density and palatability of sweets and fats are associated with higher energy intakes, at least in clinical and laboratory studies. Fourth, poverty and food insecurity are associated with lower food expenditures, low fruit and vegetable consumption, and lower-quality diets."

Thank you. People don’t understand……and I LOVE the fact people are so quick to judge.

Take me for example: Single mom of three kids. I need to go a whole entire week on $20 and Im already out of milk, bread, peanut butter and no dinners waiting to be cooked. What do you think im going to do? Make my dollar stretch and buy what needs to be bought “processed” or not. I could give a *kitten* whos judging me…they don’t know me OR my situation.

This type of bullsh*t really makes me hate society. Bunch of people judging other peoples lives as if theirs are so perfect.

You have the right to start judging when you are absolutely perfect with nothing to change…then we can talk. Until then mind your own fkn business and worry about your own life.
  • elainecroft
    elainecroft Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Yes. I admit it - I judge you by what is in your cart.

This is why I usually go shopping by myself - easier for everyone. :)
  • csuhar
    csuhar Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    Has this happened to anyone esle? I fear I am becoming a grocery store snob. I look in other people's carts at the checkout and mentally gloat at my healthier choices or I am just totally shocked that the cart half full (maybe 3 bags worth) of junk cost more than my weeks worth of nutiritous food. I try to stop myself because we have all been there but it seems to happen every time.

I think your mindset of "we have all been there" means you're not necessarily a snob, but you're proud of what changes you've made. There's nothing wrong with looking around you and saying "I made the right choice for myself."

Myself, I may look, but I usually don't think much about it because I always need to remember I'm buying for one, so my cart's usually only about 1/3 full, anyway, because I'm really only buying the ingredients for three meals that I'm going to spread over the week. Besides, even I have a few "junk" items, such as the 6-pack of Hersheys Dark Chocolate bars I buy so that my 1-a-day ration keeps me from wanting to visit the office vending machine, the 8-oz cans of soda that let me satisfy a craving without getting a 20-ouncer out of the snack room, or the freezer meals that, while not terribly healthy, do prevent me from feeling I need to go to Burger King after my day at the office goes late.

Another thing I noticed is that we don't always know WHY they're buying what they're buying. I was shocked to see one shopper with almost an entire cart devoted to 12-packs of soda. Normally, you might think "look at all that junk!", but after chatting with them in line, I found out that they were about to go off on a long RV trip and were expecting those sodas to last them for a number of months.

So feel free to look around and be proud of the choices you've made, because it simply means you've done something that fits your life and, in your opinion, improves the quality of your life. Just remember that other people are also making their decisions based on their situation and what, in their opinion, improves their quality of life.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    This would be different than having a cart full of nothing but Cocoa Pebbles, ice cream and pop tarts.

If I ever saw anyone with a cart like that, I would assume that they were going to have an awesome sleep over, & be hurt that I wasn't invited.

Point is, get over yourselves. It's not like a person's cart is a window into their soul or a measure of their value.

Says the woman who likes to feel superior to everyone NOT buying treats because obviously they all think they can never have them. :wink:
  • sarahDickson501
    sarahDickson501 Posts: 87 Member
    Options

they will not eat it. they don't eat, they starve. I make them taste things and sometimes they eat healthier food sometimes not. My 8 year old has a major texture issue and will actually vomit if food texture isn't right. but they are all very active and not even close to being overweight.
  • a778c466
    a778c466 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I don't care what other people buy. You have no idea who or what it is for. Last week I had a cart full of powdered sugar, brown sugar, regular sugar, chocolate, cherry pie filling, caramel, etc. My friend had asked me to make 100 cupcakes for her grandmother's 75th birthday party. Yesterday, along with my fruits and veggies for the week, I bought a bag of pretzles that my sons teacher had requested for their class field trip. I don't understand why people care at all what other people eat. Worry about yourself.
  • LindsayLL30
    LindsayLL30 Posts: 154 Member
    Options

Exactly :explode: this is just teaching them how to make horrible food choices when they grow up!
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options

Says the woman who likes to feel superior to everyone NOT buying treats because obviously they all think they can never have them. :wink:

I think you are confused about my point. I don't care if people buy treats or not. Seriously, I don't. But, I do think that it's silly to look at another person's cart, see poptarts and Cocoa Pebbles, and assume that they can't be healthy while eating it. Or that they know anything about that person's situation or reason for filling their cart with whatever it is that you find unacceptable.