Grocery Store Snob??

Options

Replies

• carolynhart01
    carolynhart01 Posts: 73 Member
    Options

So no I don't judge, I try and educate people on nutrition when I can, but I lead by example for those in my life, mostly my 6 year old daughter and my husband. It starts in the home.

THIS!!!! Is Awesome
  • carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Im guilty. I would never say anything to anyone but i can always see why someone is the size they are by what they have in their cart.

frozen dinners
    low fat and no fat foods
    DIET SODA- cases of it!
    chips
  • MistressAella
    MistressAella Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I buy my meats in bulk (like 4-6 cases of chicken breast at a time. Gotta love 10% Tuesdays) and a LOT of veggies. I often get a sympathetic look and someone always comments, "Oh! Teenage boys, eh? They'll eat us out of house and home!" to which I try and reply with a straight face, "I do have a son, but he's only 6. My girls are 5 and 4. This is aaaaaaaaall me. With a little hubby thrown in for "fun". LOL.
  • retiree2006
    retiree2006 Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    Yep, that's me. What's really hard is to bite my tongue when other people feel the need to comment on my healthy choices while their cart is filled with junk. This has happened to me a few times.

I know what you mean. If my mom hadn't raised me to be polite, I'd probably reply, "Yes, mine used to look like yours before I began to lose 65 pounds." :laugh:

Actually, I don't judge them because I know exactly how it used to be to check out with lots of junk, and I was very aware of it and wasn't "proud". So I don't mind if they notice mine and even comment on it.
  • EmilyKingston
    EmilyKingston Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    When I see a cart full of junk food, I am reminded how closely poor nutrition is linked with poverty. Picture a single-mom struggling to make ends meet- she doesn't have a lot of time to cook, and doesn't have a lot of knowledge about nutrition. Heck yeah she's going to buy that box of frosted puffs for $0.99 because it's quick and easy and cheap, as opposed to turkey sausage links and scrambled eggs, or Greek yogurt and fresh berries.

A study done by Adam Drenowski and SE Specter, titled Povery and Obesity: The Role of Energy Density and Energy Costs, published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, ( http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/79/1/6.full ) found four things: "First, the highest rates of obesity occur among population groups with the highest poverty rates and the least education. Second, there is an inverse relation between energy density (MJ/kg) and energy cost ($/MJ), such that energy-dense foods composed of refined grains, added sugars, or fats may represent the lowest-cost option to the consumer. Third, the high energy density and palatability of sweets and fats are associated with higher energy intakes, at least in clinical and laboratory studies. Fourth, poverty and food insecurity are associated with lower food expenditures, low fruit and vegetable consumption, and lower-quality diets."
  • mumtoonegirl
    mumtoonegirl Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    I make two meals, one for my DH and I and one for my DD, a version of what we are making. She is 6 and picky and does not like spicy food and my DH and I do. She eats from all the food groups and I prep in advance. She has major textural issues with food, she is expected to try a new food a week to build her palate. She is good with her fruits and vegetables but texturally hates most meats. We find other ways of getting in her proteins.

Now that is also for our schedule, she is 6 and is hungry at 5:15, I will sit with her and work on my DH and my supper while she shares her day with me. My DH works until 6:00, so when he gets home he and I eat and our DD sits with us and talks about the rest of our day and I help her with her homework or she does a craft at the table with us.

This is how it works for our family. She is seeing us make healthy choices and makes them herself. I am celiac so my DH and I don't eat gluten but I am not going to remove that entirely from her diet. But yes the kids are told daily I am not a restaurant and will eat what is put in front of them.
  • _Witsy_
    _Witsy_ Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    I glance around at others carts now and then...surely make a few snap judgements but usually catch myself and stop.

I try to just review my selections and know I'm making the best selections for ME.
  • baileybiddles
    baileybiddles Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Oh man, I'm exactly the same. I take my grandmother grocery shopping every other week. She is the QUEEN of processed, crappy food. Ice cream, cheese danish, swiss cake rolls, salty pre-packed deli meats, everything crappy you can imagine is in her cart, and she one week of food for her is THREE weeks for me. It's craziness. I look at her cart and cringe, and I do the same at strangers. It's funny to see what your cart used to look like!
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    Nah, I've always been a grocery store snob :)
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    My cart is all over the place: organic baby spring mix, chicken breast, Greek yogurt, whole-grain bread, Eggland's Best eggs, cottage cheese, baby carrots, Pop-Tarts, ice cream, Tastykakes, Cap'n Crunch. Some of the treats are mine, some are my husband's and/or teenage son's. I don't much care what people think, but I suppose some might find the mix of items amusing.

This is pretty much me. I have tons of fruit, veggies, real meats, greek yogurt, then I have treats for me, hubs, and the kids. Once a month, I buy them both Lunchables (GASP!! I'm the worst mom, ever!!) .. lol

I'm not worried, my children are both healthy and active (and on target with their weight!), so that's all that matters to me! Hubs and I, we're working on our weight issues now, and both were learned behavors before we got together
  • choochoobell
    choochoobell Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Nah-can't be bothered
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    I have always been like this. I look into other peoples carts and think 'where's the green filling?' :smile:

When I do buy ice cream and cookies and candy, like more than 1 item of junk at a time, I sometimes feel a bit self conscious. But then again I have and have always had an unhealthy relationship with food so that's not surprise.
  • Queen_JessieA
    Queen_JessieA Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    I get paranoid of what people may think of what is in my buggy. Then I say, wth, whatever.

I buy healthy stuff and then I buy some crap food. My children and husband like snacky things that aren't healthy. So, whatevs. They also like healthy stuff like brussels sprouts, asparagus, broccoli (my 7 and 10 year old LOVE those!!). So as long as we even out somewhere :)
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I'm just guessing, but I suspect that your 2 yo little girls MAY be a little different than my 19 & 17 yo very active sons. Also, my husband and I go for all day hikes, we trail run, and we lift weights. If we want pop tarts & sugarlicious ice cream, we will eat it - and like it. In fact, I have a hankering for some Cocoa Pebbles, I may just zip off to the store to giggle at the judgers who don't know that you can eat treats, be healthy, and lose weight if you want to.

This would be different than having a cart full of nothing but Cocoa Pebbles, ice cream and pop tarts.
  • chunkydunk714
    chunkydunk714 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    Nope. I mind my own business.

Yup...me too.
  • sarahDickson501
    sarahDickson501 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I do look at what is in other peoples carts, I don't think bad thoughts, I do wonder what people think about my cart when half the stuff I buy isn't healthy....I don't want to starve my kids they are already skin and bones and I have to get things they will eat, chicken nuggets, fries, chips, so its really hard for me to eat healthy in a house full of un-healthy food :/ But I manage!
  • YoungDoc2B
    YoungDoc2B Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    Lol this topic is ridiculous. Worry about what YOU eat.
  • Koholint
    Koholint Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I don't consider myself a "grocery store snob" but I do get a little self-conscious about myself buying groceries. I shop for my husband and me, and we eat totally different, except we have the same thing for dinner.

He's naturally very slim, and he loves to eat processed stuff for snacks. He can eat toaster pastries for breakfast and ramen for a snack, but I can't (I could, but it's pretty empty carbs/sugar for me.)

So when I go shopping, I get half healthy and half processed stuff... Like Greek yogurt and fruit for me, and macaroni & cheese cups for him. I always feel like people are staring at me and thinking to themselves, "This is why she is overweight..."
    I'd give Hubby the same thing as me, but he doesn't like Greek yogurt and he has a raw fruit allergy.

):
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    lol i don't really pay attention to other people's carts. i mostly do shop at home and pick it up for my large shopping, but if i just need a few things then i'll walk around. i get paranoid that people are watching me pick out food and judging me lol (don't judge my spaghetti squash, shirataki noodles, coconut milk and pb2!)