Grocery Store Snob??

Options

Replies

• bethlaf
    bethlaf Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    i have had checkers comment on my food choices, and coupons, etc. and the fact that we eat VERY little meat, not becuase of health , but economy
    i can buy 1 lb of steak for 7.99 or i can get 3 lbs of apples, 3lbs of oranges and 2 lbs of bananas ...
    hmm.... tough choice
  • Delicate
    Delicate Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I giggle when its full of junk and they have diet soda.

I always share a trolley so no idea what people think of mine, dont care either lol
  • jessicasloan91
    jessicasloan91 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Yep I do that!
  • SadKitty27
    SadKitty27 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I look around out of curiosity. There are a lot of obese people in the small area I live in, and so I look at their carts as visual reminder of why I eat the way I do - those foods that they're buying aren't good lol.

I'm not making fun or anything - that used to be me.

However, as someone else mentioned I also get weird looks sometimes because my cart is usually filled with just meat, and veggies, or condiments (like oils, and such.)
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    Hahaha totally! Usually my cart is full of fresh fruit, veggies, meat, eggs and milk.

The people around me... 3-4 bags of chips, pop, frozen meals... can't help but "tsk tsk" in my head.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    When I got thrown out of the grocery. I took a bag of Doritos out of this larger family's cart and said. "*****, you be killing yourselves, go buy an apple." Then I threw the bag under the cart and tried to roll over it, but it got caught weird and just pushed the bag in front of the cart down the aisle. I had to pick up the bag and I gave it back to the lady, and just walked out till the manager caught me.

now I do feel a little weird at my combo of healthy food vs processed stuff and things for my kids. When I buy Doritos now I just envision that I am purchasing it for a different purpose.

tumblr_m50t301oe21qgyuyk.gif
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    I do get some odd looks sometimes because my trolley is often 2 thirds very healthy, 1 third 'junk' or processed. I am partial to the odd chocolate bar every now and then and my partner eats convenience foods a couple of times a week, so it probably looks a little miss-matched!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    i have had checkers comment on my food choices,

I get comments from checkers too. Usually asking if some vegetable is good or how I prepare it. And if at all possible I look for one of the older clerks that have been at the store longer because the younger ones don't seem to know what any of the vegetables are, which is just sad.
  • drchimpanzee
    drchimpanzee Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    At least it sounds like you're still shopping at normal people stores. If you ever start bragging about how you pay triple to shop at some store like Whole Paycheck or worse, some hippy co-op, then that's when you know you've really gone off the deep end.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    Oh I thought you were talking about being a snob about which grocery store you go to... because that is me... but what's in peoples carts... Not really... because I'm sure someone is to me... I generally shop at two grocery stores, I get my fresh food at one and my household supplies and processed foods at the other.
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    My issue is with those who get in the 12 item or less line with more than 12 items.
  • run_way
    run_way Posts: 220
    Options
    Yea I judge, too.
    On the other side of that, when I decide to splurge and get something unhealthy, I feel completely self-conscious about my not-so-healthy choice and try to bury it under my fresh stuff :embarassed:
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    I don't really pass judgment at the grocery store, only because I know there's a lot of picky kids that will only eat certain things (I'm remembering my little brothers and chicken nuggets!) and there are some people who legitimately have no idea how to cook, so they buy microwavable stuff, etc.

I am more of a restaurant snob. I silently judge when I see people devour basket after basket of bread and oil, then order a big creamy pasta meal, then dessert. I add up the calories in my head and am just blown away that they chose to order/eat all that stuff.
  • daniellerye1
    daniellerye1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I try to focus on what I am eating. Its more motivating to me to focus on myself and others that I want to be like. I am more of a snob in the sense of changing where I shop due to the stores availability of having fresh, organic foods. I don't like going to stores that have crappy selection.
  • carolynhart01
    carolynhart01 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    When I got thrown out of the grocery. I took a bag of Doritos out of this larger family's cart and said. "*****, you be killing yourselves, go buy an apple." Then I threw the bag under the cart and tried to roll over it, but it got caught weird and just pushed the bag in front of the cart down the aisle. I had to pick up the bag and I gave it back to the lady, and just walked out till the manager caught me.

now I do feel a little weird at my combo of healthy food vs processed stuff and things for my kids. When I buy Doritos now I just envision that I am purchasing it for a different purpose.

tumblr_m50t301oe21qgyuyk.gif

Awesome!!!! Love the visual. Watch out for the Dorito Bandito!
  • 5ftnFun
    5ftnFun Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    I hate grocery shopping, seriously HATE it. I go in with a list, get in and get out. I do not enjoy it in any kind of way. So no, I do not notice what others are buying and don't care.

Imagine how tortuous it is for me to shop with my husband who likes to leisurely browse the aisles for "something new" to try out. Ugh!
  • jaf320
    jaf320 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Ehhh, wouldn't really say that I gloat or usually feel that judgmental - except for when I see things that I just consider to be the epitome of gross like Vienna sausages, GIANT blocks of off-brand processed cheese, etc. Sorry if anyone eats those ;-) My cart does have a lot of healthy stuff but I always have some that's a little junky - one of my unshakeable weaknesses continues to be flavored coffee creamer which honestly I never intend to give up . But, I do love my fruits, veggies, healthy carbs (couldn't live without sweet potatoes and oatmeal, and natural PB (generally the sweetened stuff just tastes off to me now) so it is weird to think that people can totally live without these things.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Has this happened to anyone esle? I fear I am becoming a grocery store snob. I look in other people's carts at the checkout and mentally gloat at my healthier choices or I am just totally shocked that the cart half full (maybe 3 bags worth) of junk cost more than my weeks worth of nutiritous food. I try to stop myself because we have all been there but it seems to happen every time.

Lololol, must be like the feeling when you look at an overweight person's cart of "healthy" foods while you're in shape and have a cart mixed with "healthy" and "unhealthy" foods
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    I generally stick to my cart. The people who give me the wow factor are the larger men and women who get in the motorized buggies and fill the basket up with nothing but junk. You know the ones who are a chip away from a heart attack or diabetes but still load their carts with fried chicken from the deli. And it isn't really a negative thought about them, I just makes me feel sad for there kids and their family who will be with out a parent, child or sibling when the inevitable happens.