Grocery Store Snob??

Options

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    At least it sounds like you're still shopping at normal people stores. If you ever start bragging about how you pay triple to shop at some store like Whole Paycheck or worse, some hippy co-op, then that's when you know you've really gone off the deep end.

I would totally support the hippies if they opened a co-op in my area.
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Well, kinda sorta I reckon...except I don't really look at what other people are buying--when I'm shopping at regular grocery stores, I'm actually hoping that people ARE looking at what my cart is filled with and it inspires them to shop more around the perimeter of the store too like I do. In regular grocery stores, I have had people tell me my cart looks great many times--not so much in my usual food/grocery shopping places though. Also, I love and regularly shop at grocery specialty type of stores (like organic markets, Health Food stores, Trader Joe's and places like) that far more than I shop at regular grocery stores--and in those health food/organic/specialty stores, I do look at/in others carts to see something new or a healthy yummy that I want to add to mine as well.

I will confess that when I do shop at regular grocery stores, if/when I buy junk type of foods, I don't put it in my cart with the rest of my groceries...but put it in the bottom of the cart with the bleach, detergent and other type of non-food stuffs...:huh:
  • juliasays77
    juliasays77 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I don't really pay attention, but I did have an interesting experience a couple of weeks ago.

I was waiting in line to check out and the customer in front of me was having a conversation with the cashier about the diet she was starting. She had a couple of bottles of some kind of expensive juice, and several packaged products. Maybe 2 bags worth if items. Her total was almost $100.

I had a cart full of fresh fruits and vegetables, nuts and meat, and my total was around $30. I'll admit I felt pretty smug about it.

(this was at Sprouts for those familiar with that store)
  • BigDave1050
    BigDave1050 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    The thing that gets me is when those three bags of processed food in their cart cost the same as my one bag of "healthy" choices. Eating right is expensive!
  • Danielle_Style
    Danielle_Style Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    One of the things I hate most about this new healthy lifestyle is the food snobbery that comes with it. For the record, my husband hates this even more. I used to get so annoyed at folks who were self-righteous about their food choices. And nowadays I find that I get that way too. That being said, I love my treats and my grocery cart is filled with both "good" and "bad" foods.

I've been losing weight and building muscle, though. So if some passerby wants to judge me for my two boxes of nonni's biscotti or my husband's 100 calorie packs or the occasional treat from the bakery, then let them.

If I catch myself judging others, I'll try to stop it in its tracks...but no guarantees.

It's a battle for sure...staying down to earth while making healthy choices.
  • dfonte
    dfonte Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I like to worry about myself. I notice what other people buy, but they can do whatever they want with their money.

But in all honesty, what if you saw someone with an athletic build buying 'processed' food. Would you judge them?

Most of the people who jump on these health trends aren't in any better physical shape than people who just buy whatever they want. It's just a mental feeling of superiority they have for thinking they know more than somebody else.

Buy what you want, work out, be happy.
  • twelfty
    twelfty Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    why mingle with the pesents and their gluttonous shopping habbits? have it delivered and spare yourself the disgust!!! (joke)
  • SlimSumday
    SlimSumday Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Not so much scrutinizing their cart but I fin that these days I am proud of what I have in mine compared to theirs.:smile:
  • 5ftnFun
    5ftnFun Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    My issue is with those who get in the 12 item or less line with more than 12 items.

Me too! And the folks who want to have a philosophical discussion (I exaggerate....a little) :explode: with the cashier. PLEASE, MOOOOOVE along!!
  • Bearbrat
    Bearbrat Posts: 230
    Options
    I do look in other people's baskets, but it's something I'v always done so I'm not sure if I really gloat over it. A lot of times I'm interested to see what the really fit people have. One thihng that's always bothered me though, when you see a grocery cart with both really good (healthy) food and some really crappy food. Then you might over hear mom or dad or whomever say...."no, that's for me, this is your's (handing the child a box of cookies, chips etc.). It never made sense to me to do something like that. Otherwise, yea I'm a peeker, lol.
  • SweetestLibby
    SweetestLibby Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Nope. I mind my own business.

this^^

They're choices are they're own just like my choices are my own. I'm pretty self absorbed in healthy eating and fitness so I don't compare myself with others - food, workouts, etc.

Also I try not to be so...judgemental.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    Our cart is always a mix...my partner doesn't eat the way I do, her needs and preferences are different. And there are a few less healthy things I don't want to give up...like coffee creamer. But in general our cart is full of much healthier and fresher things than it used to be. It does sometimes make me sad to see the very obese mom with the very obese children at the store...and their cart is full of chips and icecream and cookies and full sugar soda, no veggies or fruit, no lean meats, nothing to make a decent meal with. Mom can do as she likes, she an adult....but the kids are doomed.
  • amber_michelle30
    amber_michelle30 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I'm guilty!! Then a few weeks ago while I was grocery shopping and had a cart full of veggies and fruits, my guy texts me and asks me to get him a pie. I was emarrassed to even have it in there.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    The thing that gets me is when those three bags of processed food in their cart cost the same as my one bag of "healthy" choices. Eating right is expensive!

I can be if you want it to be. But it doesn't have to be.
  • SweetestLibby
    SweetestLibby Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    My issue is with those who get in the 12 item or less line with more than 12 items.

Which is why I LOVE Giant's scanners and self check out. Whole process takes about 5 minutes....when do don't have to wait for the cashier to do the whole audit thingy.
  • Shawnzgirl78
    Shawnzgirl78 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    *lol* I have noticed what is in another person's cart maybe 3x in my entire life...