Are you a food nazi?

Options
Do you find yourself mentally calculating others's calories?

We went out to Baker's Square for lunch yesterday (no, I didn't have any pie) and I overheard a woman ordering:

"Egg white omelette" -- good
"Muffin" -- bad
"Bran muffin" -- slightly redeemed, but still high in fat and calories, not worth it
"Side of fruit" -- good

Part of me is thinking "you are going overboard with this calorie counting business".
Another part of me is thinking "it's good that you are becoming more and more aware of nutrition and are able to make healthier choices".

Replies

• hdlb
    hdlb Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Nope. If its not going in my mouth, or my kids mouth, then I don't care. I don't even worry about my husbands choices, hse a big boy, he can order what he wants.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

We went out to Baker's Square for lunch yesterday (no, I didn't have any pie) and I overheard a woman ordering:

"Muffin" -- bad
    "Bran muffin" -- slightly redeemed, but still high in fat and calories, not worth it
    "Side of fruit" -- good

Part of me is thinking "you are going overboard with this calorie counting business".
    Another part of me is thinking "it's good that you are becoming more and more aware of nutrition and are able to make healthier choices".

It's bad since you are simply equating calories with a food being good or bad which is silly
  • BigBrunette
    BigBrunette Posts: 1,543 Member
    Options
    Nope. I can barely calculate my own calories, let alone someone else's.
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options

"Muffin" -- bad
    "Side of fruit" -- good

It's bad since you are simply equating calories with a food being good or bad which is silly

No, I should clarify that I am also taking into account nutritional content.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Why is a muffin bad?

Food isn't inherently good or evil...just because it may be calorie dense doesn't make it "bad"...or just because it has fat doesn't make it "bad." Fat is in fact a very important macro nutrient. Achieving your calorie goals = good; achieving your macro goals = good. Going over calorie goals = bad; not meeting macro goals = bad.

Also, whole egg omelette = good; egg white omelette = FTW
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options

^This. And making a judgement on someone else's choices when you have no clue of their circumstances and calorific (never mind nutritional) needs.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    Nope. If its not going in my mouth, or my kids mouth, then I don't care. I don't even worry about my husbands choices, hse a big boy, he can order what he wants.

Exactly!!!
  • CherylAnne1988
    Options
    i seem to be watching other overweight people eating the wrong things, and think "hmm you really dont need that" and i know that's wrong but it just pops into my head.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    Don't hate.
    easy-blueberry-muffins_large_zps5fd6ed1f.jpg
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

"Muffin" -- bad
    "Side of fruit" -- good

Then why is an egg white omelet good, when the whites alone have less nutrition than a whole egg?
  • Mustang_Susie
    Options
    Why is a muffin bad?

Food isn't inherently good or evil...just because it may be calorie dense doesn't make it "bad"...or just because it has fat doesn't make it "bad." Fat is in fact a very important macro nutrient. Achieving your calorie goals = good; achieving your macro goals = good. Going over calorie goals = bad; not meeting macro goals = bad.

I understand the importance of macro nutrients.
    I would rather get the necessary nutrients from something that is less "calorie dense" than say, a muffin.
    Apparently I was making the presumption (which could not be proven or disproven since I didn't speak with the woman), that some people may think full-size muffins are a low- calorie, healthy choice which they are not.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options

We went out to Baker's Square for lunch yesterday (no, I didn't have any pie)

Sorry, I didn't get past this part. WHY NO PIE?
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options

^This. And making a judgement on someone else's choices when you have no clue what their circumstances and calorific (never mind nutritional) needs.

Yup. How do you know it isn't their one treat meal for the week? You're being judgmental about things that aren't even your business.
  • JeneticTraining
    JeneticTraining Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Nope nope! I just enjoy my food hehe
  • Iron_Duchess
    Iron_Duchess Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    No. Who am I to criticize other people's choice? I don't know every little thing that happens in their daily life, and maybe that muffin was the best choice they had at that particular time. Darn, I want a carrot or zucchini muffin now with a large latte... :tongue:
  • Mustang_Susie
    Options

"Muffin" -- bad
    "Side of fruit" -- good

Then why is an egg white omelet good, when the whites alone have less nutrition than a whole egg?

It's higher not only in calories but also in cholesterol and she didn't have your lean muscle mass to work it off.
    You can eat a much different diet than an older woman.
    But true, I don't know her HDL/LDL ratio.
  • _DaniD_
    _DaniD_ Posts: 2,186 Member
    Options
    Did anyone else read this post in the voice of the green m&m?
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    Did anyone else read this post in the voice of the green m&m?

thank god!! i thought i was the only one.
  • Mustang_Susie
    Options

^This. And making a judgement on someone else's choices when you have no clue what their circumstances and calorific (never mind nutritional) needs.

Yup. How do you know it isn't their one treat meal for the week? You're being judgmental about things that aren't even your business.

My intent was not to judge.
    I was only thinking that I would not be comfortable eating that for myself.
    I guess my thread title was mis-leading.
    Sheesh, people put the big guns away...
  • dressagester
    dressagester Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    This sounds like the dietary equivalent of the AA term, "taking someone else's inventory." It's avoiding addressing your situation.

Also it's really judgy and gross.

"Muffin" -- bad
    "Side of fruit" -- good