Are you a food nazi?

Options

Replies

• jourdanerin
    Options
    Yep!

I do this too. I sit and wonder "do these people KNOW how many calories they are consuming???". Especially @ Chili's! I rarely eat there since I've started my calorie counting because it is SO BAD FOR YOU!

I'm not judging them... to each their own. Heck, 3 months ago I was doing the exact same thing.. mindlessly eating whatever I wanted. I'm just curious to know if they would make the same choices if they knew how many calories were in their meal.
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    Yep!

I do this too. I sit and wonder "do these people KNOW how many calories they are consuming???". Especially @ Chili's! I rarely eat there since I've started my calorie counting because it is SO BAD FOR YOU!

I'm not judging them... to each their own. Heck, 3 months ago I was doing the exact same thing.. mindlessly eating whatever I wanted. I'm just curious to know if they would make the same choices if they knew how many calories were in their meal.

You say you aren't judging, then use words like 'mindless' to describe their behavior.

How do you know they don't know how many calories are in there? I quite frequently tuck into a high calorie meal that I 'paid for' with a hefty workout earlier in the day. If we crossed paths you'd probably think your little 'healthier than thou' thought of "I wonder he'd eat that if he knew how many calories were in there?", and the answer would be "heck yes I would, because I do[/]."
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options
    Okay, no judging, just asking:
    Would anyone here have a Mountain Dew & bag of chips for lunch?
    Meaning that's all you had for lunch.
    Why or why not?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Why or why not?

Bag of chips with lunch, yes (assuming it fitted into my overall day). Mountain Dew - no as I do not like them much.

Why? Why not?
  • HotrodsGirl0107
    HotrodsGirl0107 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Since you have medical conditions that you have to take into consideration it would be pretty silly to compare your choices to others. I have medical conditions that I control with diet and exercise based on your op you would probably think my diet was horrible and yet I am the healthiest I have ever been and I no longer have to take medications to control my medical issues. Next time you think about anyone elses dietary choices remember that you don't know their situation. Glad you found what works for you but try to keep your eyes on your own plate next time and be proud of YOUR choices because that is all that matters.

Food nazi, not person nazi
    The woman was not good or bad
    The food was not good FOR ME

That's what I was talking about. You comparing your food choices to other peoples' food choices is silly and judgemental. if it works for you fine, but there is no need to judge anyone elses diet which is what you did in the OP before you did the edit.
  • aas1277
    aas1277 Posts: 67
    Options
    I don't think about it. I just order what I want and don't worry about others. What bothers me is how people look at me because I count my own calories. A bunch of us went out for lunch the other day with the kids and I ordered a turkey sandwhich at the deli. I asked that they only put one slice of alpine swiss and four slices of reduced sodium turkey breast on my sandwhich and the girl behind the coundter was so perplexed as to why I would do that....ummmm maybe b/c a deli sandwhich always seems to contain about a pound of meat on it which I see as a waste if I'm not going to eat it all.....We are just so used to gigantic portions everywhere that when somebody wants a normal serving size it's weird or making the other people in the group look bad.
  • persistantone
    persistantone Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Why or why not?

Nope. Soda makes me feel like crap. And a bag of chips would never fill me up. Eating those two things would leave me hungry and tired, and when I'm both hungry and tired, I turn into the Incredible Hulk which is very inconvenient. It lasts for hours.
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    Why or why not?

At the moment, no, because the soda is 'wasted calories' I could spend on something tastier and more satisfying. I might have the chips as a side, but I generally prefer vege sides anyway.

If I get to the point where I'm eating at a surplus to put on some muscle, I may consider the soda as an easy way to add calories to a meal. Even then, though, there are plenty of treat foods that I enjoy more than soda.
  • EmmaKarney
    EmmaKarney Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    Often I check out some of the #cleaneating or #healthyeating hashtags on Instagram and think HOLY MOLY that breakfast must be 900 or more calories! I wonder if that "health conscious" person even realises how big their portion size is?!
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    Why or why not?
    What kind of chips? If it's Nacho Cheese Doritos, we might have a winner here. Why? Because they're awesome. And years ago I used to drink a lot of Mountain Dew to get me through long nights when I worked at Pizza Hut. I have maybe one or two a year out of nostalgia, and Mountain Dew + Doritos is a good combination.

If I went with the 1.75 ounce bag, we're only talking 240 calories for the chips plus 170 for the Dew--410 calories total, which would fit into even the 1200-a-day people's goals. Sure, you'd want to hit the protein a little harder at dinner, but a day's macros could be built around that.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Why or why not?

No, not enough food for actual lunch...maybe for a quick snack on occasion...and swap out the Dew for a real cane sugar, Mexican Fanta...HFCS is way too sweet for me. But I'd also get in about 4-6 servings of veggies that day...lots of protein...good heart healthy fats and of course, my 2 eggs per day :smile:

I will also indulge in some very high calorie meals from time to time...I like to hike in the mountains when the weather is nice...a good hike and I burn about 1,000 - 1,300 calories and I need the extra fuel as it is outside of my normal TDEE activity.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Often I check out some of the #cleaneating or #healthyeating hashtags on Instagram and think HOLY MOLY that breakfast must be 900 or more calories! I wonder if that "health conscious" person even realises how big their portion size is?!

How do you know that 900 calories is not a perfectly appropriately sized breakfast for that person?
  • Siobhan1983
    Options
    I don't often find myself caring what complete strangers order to eat, no.
  • EmmaKarney
    Options
    Also people on social media posting about wanting to lose weight and trying "everything" they can.... But then ever other day posting about the cupcake they ate or instagramming their huge popcorn bucket or cocktail.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options

That's perfectly acceptable for some people. When I was in the Marine Corps I trained like a beast and I ate like a beast...upwards of 4,000 - 5,000 calories per day if I was in the field doing maneuvers. My breakfast was easily in the 1500 calorie range in those days.

My breakfast now is usually in the 500 calorie range...and around 700 calories on weekends because I don't tend to snack and whatnot as much. I'm always out and about running around so I need that big breakfast to keep me over until lunch usually...plus my Sat morning lifts are always the best about 2 hours after I've slammed that breakfast down.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    Why or why not?

I've never liked Mountain Dew or chips -- I would totally have a cup of coffee (with 1/4 cup half and half and tablespoon of sugar) and a slice of pie with ice cream for lunch. Why? Because why not?!
  • SpecialSundae
    SpecialSundae Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    Honestly, it doesn't really bother me. Different goals etc. I have muffins for breakfast on a regular basis. They're home-made, tasty and fit my calorie, macro- and micro-nutrient goals.

As for telling Sara that she'll get fat... Have you seen her? That lovely lady can eat cheesecake if she likes and it fits her goals.

Admittedly there are times that I'll make an internal face about what something is eating but usually it's someone who starts a new fad diet every month and it's their problem. I'm not judging the food but the fad.
  • EmmaKarney
    Options

How do you know that 900 calories is not a perfectly appropriately sized breakfast for that person?

When you follow their feed and know they weigh 130 and are desperately trying to lose their last 10lb and post pictures of all their meals for the day.
  • EmmaKarney
    Options

That's perfectly acceptable for some people. When I was in the Marine Corps I trained like a beast and I ate like a beast...upwards of 4,000 - 5,000 calories per day if I was in the field doing maneuvers. My breakfast was easily in the 1500 calorie range in those days.

My breakfast now is usually in the 500 calorie range...and around 700 calories on weekends because I don't tend to snack and whatnot as much. I'm always out and about running around so I need that big breakfast to keep me over until lunch usually...plus my Sat morning lifts are always the best about 2 hours after I've slammed that breakfast down.

Haha I knew I would get called out on that.

Not judging 900 calories breakfasts, just when you know that person thinks they are in a deficit and you can tell a mile off they aren't!
  • DrCaspianDoll
    DrCaspianDoll Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Healthy living is about BETTER choices, you don't know what her usual is. And honestly its none of anyone's business even she the lady got bacon egg and cheese sandwich. I hate when people eavesdrop, its aweful etiquette and just plain old rude.