Are you a food nazi?

Options

Replies

• Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options
    How do you know she wasn't about to get in a killer workout, and wanted all that food to give her energy n shiz!?

That is an interesting thought...
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    Did anyone else read this post in the voice of the green m&m?

Totally...

OP...people are just joshing a little bit and using sarcasm to prove a point that food isn't inherently good or evil. Also in RE to the cholesterol in an egg...when I started out here my LDL was very high and HDL was very low and my triglycerides were through the roof...it's why I came here in the first place. I eat 2 eggs per day and my LDL is now normal and my HDL is nice and high. Dietary cholesterol plays virtually no roll in blood level serum...your liver produces much more than you could consume in a day...it's like throwing a quarter into a vault with $1M in it...dietary cholesterol is irrelevant. Also, a whole egg is chock full of hearth healthy fats.

Unless, hyperlipidemia is genetic, which mine is.
    I'm at goal weight, eat low fat, have low blood pressure etc.
    I am not comfortable with the side effects of statins on the liver and therefore choose a low fat, low cholesterol diet along with exercise to reduce my risks.

Being called judgmental is "joshing a little bit and using sarcasm?"

this is second thread i've seen in as many days where OP gets riled a little, and stands up and says "well, you didn't know that i have this illness, so there, now feel bad." your illness doesn't give you a reason to judge anyone.

i won't deny that i used to judge people. but i now try and keep an open mind. i used to scoff at the people ordering an over abundance of food at resturants. but you know, i don't know their whole day. maybe this is the one time a week or month they can go out and eat some good food, and enjoy themselves with friends and family.

i hope that people give you the benefit of the doubt. i know i'm trying too. i know you didn't mean to put this up to make anyone feel bad.
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    It's bad since you are simply equating calories with a food being good or bad which is silly

^This. And making a judgement on someone else's choices when you have no clue what their circumstances and calorific (never mind nutritional) needs.

Yup. How do you know it isn't their one treat meal for the week? You're being judgmental about things that aren't even your business.

My intent was not to judge.
    I was only thinking that I would not be comfortable eating that for myself.
    I guess my thread title was mis-leading.
    Sheesh, people put the big guns away...

Thinking about what someone else is eating in terms of good and bad is judging. Maybe you didn't mean to judge, but that's what it was.

Not that there's anything wrong with the nutritional content of a muffin, provided it fits into your overall macro goal for the day.

Thinking about food in terms of good and bad is actually called orthorexia. You might want to look it up to be more aware next time. :flowerforyou:

Call it what you want, but I'm still going to think of a Mountain Dew and bag of chips for lunch as bad.

It's not bad provided the rest of the day meets their nutrition needs and calorie needs. No need to judge anyone else based on their food choices.

How is it good?
    Again, I wasn't judging her at all.
    Just saying that I wouldn't want to eat what she was eating.
    She can choose what she wants.

Food is neither good nor bad.

Too much food, or an overall daily deficit of essential nutrients is bad. So you can't judge a muffin as 'bad'. Perhaps if a person ate nothing but muffins, that would be bad. But that's the person making an unhealthy choice - it's not the muffin's fault.

Give muffins a chance.
  • Mustang_Susie
    Options
    How about this instead:
    I've become MY OWN food nazi

"Egg white omelette" -- good FOR ME
    "Muffin" -- bad FOR ME
    "Bran muffin" -- slightly redeemed, but still high in fat and calories, not worth it FOR ME
    "Side of fruit" -- good FOR ME
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options

Totally...

OP...people are just joshing a little bit and using sarcasm to prove a point that food isn't inherently good or evil. Also in RE to the cholesterol in an egg...when I started out here my LDL was very high and HDL was very low and my triglycerides were through the roof...it's why I came here in the first place. I eat 2 eggs per day and my LDL is now normal and my HDL is nice and high. Dietary cholesterol plays virtually no roll in blood level serum...your liver produces much more than you could consume in a day...it's like throwing a quarter into a vault with $1M in it...dietary cholesterol is irrelevant. Also, a whole egg is chock full of hearth healthy fats.

I am not comfortable with the side effects of statins on the liver and therefore choose a low fat, low cholesterol diet along with exercise to reduce my risks.

You never mentioned you had a medical condition...
  • thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    It's bad since you are simply equating calories with a food being good or bad which is silly

^This. And making a judgement on someone else's choices when you have no clue what their circumstances and calorific (never mind nutritional) needs.

Yup. How do you know it isn't their one treat meal for the week? You're being judgmental about things that aren't even your business.

Thinking about what someone else is eating in terms of good and bad is judging. Maybe you didn't mean to judge, but that's what it was.

Not that there's anything wrong with the nutritional content of a muffin, provided it fits into your overall macro goal for the day.

Thinking about food in terms of good and bad is actually called orthorexia. You might want to look it up to be more aware next time. :flowerforyou:

Call it what you want, but I'm still going to think of a Mountain Dew and bag of chips for lunch as bad.

It's not bad provided the rest of the day meets their nutrition needs and calorie needs. No need to judge anyone else based on their food choices.

How is it good?
    Again, I wasn't judging her at all.
    Just saying that I wouldn't want to eat what she was eating.
    She can choose what she wants.

It's fine to eat that breakfast if your other nutrition needs are met and you are still under your TDEE (provided you are trying to lose weight). Nothing wrong with pop and chips. Sure, it's not a typical meal but if someone has had a very good nutritional day I don't see an issue with them having chips for lunch.

Commenting on a bad choice someone is making is judging in a way. Concern yourself with your own actions and not those of others.
  • Mustang_Susie
    Options

Totally...

this is second thread i've seen in as many days where OP gets riled a little, and stands up and says "well, you didn't know that i have this illness, so there, now feel bad." your illness doesn't give you a reason to judge anyone.

i won't deny that i used to judge people. but i now try and keep an open mind. i used to scoff at the people ordering an over abundance of food at resturants. but you know, i don't know their whole day. maybe this is the one time a week or month they can go out and eat some good food, and enjoy themselves with friends and family.

i hope that people give you the benefit of the doubt. i know i'm trying too. i know you didn't mean to put this up to make anyone feel bad.

I don't want anyone to feel bad, for any reason.
  • stumblinthrulife
    Options
    How about this instead:
    I've become MY OWN food nazi

"Egg white omelette" -- good FOR ME
    "Muffin" -- bad FOR ME
    "Bran muffin" -- slightly redeemed, but still high in fat and calories, not worth it FOR ME
    "Side of fruit" -- good FOR ME

There you go. No arguing with that, at least not from me. Make all the judgements about your own diet that you want to. :laugh:
  • persistantone
    persistantone Posts: 59 Member
    Options

How is it good?

What does it really matter? If you don't know all the information( her health, her daily diet, her emotional health, her activity level, etc), you can't really make a thoughtful or even remotely valid judgment. For all you know, the "bad" muffin could have been for a coworker or something.

I feel like when we judge complete strangers for doing something as minor as buying a muffin, we are really only judging ourselves, using others as mirrors.
  • Mustang_Susie
    Options

Totally...

You never mentioned you had a medical condition...

True. I prefer to refer to it as a lab value. :wink:
    Would it have made a difference in your response.
    Another poster seemed to think I wanted people to feel bad because of it?
    (Did I read that correctly stumblinthrul?)
    Not true.
    Just clarifying the role of cholesterol in SOME people's diets.
  • HotrodsGirl0107
    HotrodsGirl0107 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Since you have medical conditions that you have to take into consideration it would be pretty silly to compare your choices to others. I have medical conditions that I control with diet and exercise based on your op you would probably think my diet was horrible and yet I am the healthiest I have ever been and I no longer have to take medications to control my medical issues. Next time you think about anyone elses dietary choices remember that you don't know their situation. Glad you found what works for you but try to keep your eyes on your own plate next time and be proud of YOUR choices because that is all that matters.
  • stumblinthrulife
    Options
    Not true.

You are confusing me with another poster, I'm not the one that thought you were trying to make others feel bad.
  • Mustang_Susie
    Options
    Not true.

You are confusing me with another poster, I'm not the one that thought you were trying to make others feel bad.

A thousand pardons, it was Capt_Apollo's post I was referencing.
    Forgive me.
  • aaronlawrenc
    aaronlawrenc Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    i do this. it is fun. the end
  • stumblinthrulife
    Options
    Not true.

Forgive me.

Worry not, I'll not get all butt hurt about a simple mix up :wink:
  • Mustang_Susie
    Options
    Since you have medical conditions that you have to take into consideration it would be pretty silly to compare your choices to others. I have medical conditions that I control with diet and exercise based on your op you would probably think my diet was horrible and yet I am the healthiest I have ever been and I no longer have to take medications to control my medical issues. Next time you think about anyone elses dietary choices remember that you don't know their situation. Glad you found what works for you but try to keep your eyes on your own plate next time and be proud of YOUR choices because that is all that matters.

Food nazi, not person nazi
    The woman was not good or bad
    The food was not good FOR ME
  • Mustang_Susie
    Options
    Not true.

Forgive me.

Worry not, I'll not get all butt hurt about a simple mix up :wink:

I'll derail my own post.
    Who ever invented the phrase "butt hurt"?
  • Sarah_LM
    Sarah_LM Posts: 96
    Options
    I honestly don't think anyone who eats a full sized muffin is under the impression it is a low calorie, healthy choice. It could be that they are having a small cheat in an otherwise healthy diet.
  • Mustang_Susie
    Options
    I honestly don't think anyone who eats a full sized muffin is under the impression it is a low calorie, healthy choice. It could be that they are having a small cheat in an otherwise healthy diet.

I'll just say that I was not aware of their calorie count until I became more aware of my nutritional choices.
    It is true that I knew nothing about her.
  • nytius
    nytius Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I don't usually think about anything anyone else might be ordering unless its something I might want. Then I might be like "That sounds really good. Can I fit that in today?". Its not good or bad. It either fits or it doesn't. I couldn't answer whether it fits into someone else's macros or not so I guess I've never bothered with that question.

I think you might have meant you see it in terms of good or bad for you and not as a judgmental thing of the person. That's cool but...when you find yourself counting calories of a meal that is not intended for you or anyone you know...you might be going a little MFP OCD :)