Replies

• SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Too lazy!
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    I thought the green M&M's were supposed to make you horny.

Not angry!
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Don't hate.
    easy-blueberry-muffins_large_zps5fd6ed1f.jpg

Dayum boy, them's some tasty muffins.
  • Melissa11412
    Melissa11412 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I used to do that a lot....when eating in restaurants, at the grocery store, on the running trail

I'm learning to realize that I do not know the circumstances of anyone's situation -

- the person overindulging in the restaurant may have busted their booty all week in the gym and in the kitchen and is having a treat meal

-the person that has a lot of processed food in their grocery cart may have teens/hubby/wife etc at home who does not want to eat healthy like the shopper

- the person walking on the running trail may be just back on the trail after surgery, a heart attack, etc and they may be grateful that they can still walk

When I think of these situations like this, it enables me to bring the focus back on me....to "mind my own business" so to speak and let them off the hook.....because when i was where they were (and I was) i sure didn't want anyone's judgement on me
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options
    Do you find yourself mentally calculating others's calories?

We went out to Baker's Square for lunch yesterday (no, I didn't have any pie)

Sorry, I didn't get past this part. WHY NO PIE?

It was tempting...:wink:
  • JessieJanie
    JessieJanie Posts: 428
    Options
    Did anyone else read this post in the voice of the green m&m?

I did!
  • Mustang_Susie
    Options

Not angry!

I'm not angry.
    Everyone else jumped on my case.
    Wow!
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    It's bad since you are simply equating calories with a food being good or bad which is silly

^This. And making a judgement on someone else's choices when you have no clue what their circumstances and calorific (never mind nutritional) needs.

Yup. How do you know it isn't their one treat meal for the week? You're being judgmental about things that aren't even your business.

My intent was not to judge.
    I was only thinking that I would not be comfortable eating that for myself.
    I guess my thread title was mis-leading.
    Sheesh, people put the big guns away...

Thinking about what someone else is eating in terms of good and bad is judging. Maybe you didn't mean to judge, but that's what it was.

Not that there's anything wrong with the nutritional content of a muffin, provided it fits into your overall macro goal for the day.

Thinking about food in terms of good and bad is actually called orthorexia. You might want to look it up to be more aware next time. :flowerforyou:
  • littlebudgie
    littlebudgie Posts: 279 Member
    Options

We went out to Baker's Square for lunch yesterday (no, I didn't have any pie) and I overheard a woman ordering:

"Egg white omelette" -- good
    "Muffin" -- bad
    "Bran muffin" -- slightly redeemed, but still high in fat and calories, not worth it
    "Side of fruit" -- good

Part of me is thinking "you are going overboard with this calorie counting business".
    Another part of me is thinking "it's good that you are becoming more and more aware of nutrition and are able to make healthier choices".

It's bad since you are simply equating calories with a food being good or bad which is silly

No, I should clarify that I am also taking into account nutritional content.

Then why is an egg white omelet good, when the whites alone have less nutrition than a whole egg?

It's higher not only in calories but also in cholesterol and she didn't have your lean muscle mass to work it off.
    You can eat a much different diet than an older woman.
    But true, I don't know her HDL/LDL ratio.

Dietary cholesterol plays a minimal role in blood cholesterol levels. Admittedly, for some people with already high cholesterol levels it can make a difference (although not necessarily), but for most people a whole egg is going to make zero impact.
  • seena511
    seena511 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    i think i understand where you're coming from...not TRYING to judge other people, but can't help but think about whether or not it's a choice that YOU would make for YOURSELF and then projecting it onto the other person. i do find myself doing it, at the gym as well, but i'm trying to break that habit because i need to stop comparing myself to other people and just focus on me.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options

Totally...

OP...people are just joshing a little bit and using sarcasm to prove a point that food isn't inherently good or evil. Also in RE to the cholesterol in an egg...when I started out here my LDL was very high and HDL was very low and my triglycerides were through the roof...it's why I came here in the first place. I eat 2 eggs per day and my LDL is now normal and my HDL is nice and high. Dietary cholesterol plays virtually no roll in blood level serum...your liver produces much more than you could consume in a day...it's like throwing a quarter into a vault with $1M in it...dietary cholesterol is irrelevant. Also, a whole egg is chock full of hearth healthy fats.

Now, I can't say that I don't judge...sometimes I'm sure I have a look of astonishment when I'm in Costco and someone has a cart with a couple cases of diet shakes and then about 100 Lbs of candy...at that point I'm definitely judgy mcjudgerson.
  • Mustang_Susie
    Options

^This. And making a judgement on someone else's choices when you have no clue what their circumstances and calorific (never mind nutritional) needs.

Yup. How do you know it isn't their one treat meal for the week? You're being judgmental about things that aren't even your business.

Thinking about what someone else is eating in terms of good and bad is judging. Maybe you didn't mean to judge, but that's what it was.

Not that there's anything wrong with the nutritional content of a muffin, provided it fits into your overall macro goal for the day.

Thinking about food in terms of good and bad is actually called orthorexia. You might want to look it up to be more aware next time. :flowerforyou:

Call it what you want, but I'm still going to think of a Mountain Dew and bag of chips for lunch as bad.
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options
    How do you know she wasn't about to get in a killer workout, and wanted all that food to give her energy n shiz!?
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options

Not angry!

I'm not angry.
    Everyone else jumped on my case.
    Wow!

I like green M&M's.
  • thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Nope. If its not going in my mouth, or my kids mouth, then I don't care. I don't even worry about my husbands choices, hse a big boy, he can order what he wants.

Exactly!!!

This.

I don't worry myself over anyone but myself. It's not my place to judge others.

Also, you don't know if that person is eating everything themselves.. you don't know their nutritional needs or their calorie needs. You also don't know their situation. Maybe it's their treat for the week. Maybe they just finished a workout. Maybe they are choosing those foods instead of going to a buffet or fast food place.
  • SatchGallamax
    SatchGallamax Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    The only time I'm paying attention to another person's order is because they're getting something really delicious and now I have to re-assess my whole ordering plan. I HATE IT WHEN PEOPLE RUIN MY PLANS WITH PIE.
  • thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options

Call it what you want, but I'm still going to think of a Mountain Dew and bag of chips for lunch as bad.

It's not bad provided the rest of the day meets their nutrition needs and calorie needs. No need to judge anyone else based on their food choices.
  • JenniferMary_9169
    Options
    This sounds like the dietary equivalent of the AA term, "taking someone else's inventory." It's avoiding addressing your situation.

Also it's really judgy and gross.

We went out to Baker's Square for lunch yesterday (no, I didn't have any pie) and I overheard a woman ordering:

"Egg white omelette" -- good
    "Muffin" -- bad
    "Bran muffin" -- slightly redeemed, but still high in fat and calories, not worth it
    "Side of fruit" -- good

Part of me is thinking "you are going overboard with this calorie counting business".
    Another part of me is thinking "it's good that you are becoming more and more aware of nutrition and are able to make healthier choices".

There has been A LOT of "taking someone else's inventory" today (and well, every day) here on MFP. What does it matter what someone else is eating for b'fast? What does it matter what is in someone else's grocery cart? Are some peeps REALLY thinking that they are going to get fat by association?
  • Mustang_Susie
    Options

Totally...

OP...people are just joshing a little bit and using sarcasm to prove a point that food isn't inherently good or evil. Also in RE to the cholesterol in an egg...when I started out here my LDL was very high and HDL was very low and my triglycerides were through the roof...it's why I came here in the first place. I eat 2 eggs per day and my LDL is now normal and my HDL is nice and high. Dietary cholesterol plays virtually no roll in blood level serum...your liver produces much more than you could consume in a day...it's like throwing a quarter into a vault with $1M in it...dietary cholesterol is irrelevant. Also, a whole egg is chock full of hearth healthy fats.

Unless, hyperlipidemia is genetic, which mine is.
    I'm at goal weight, eat low fat, have low blood pressure etc.
    I am not comfortable with the side effects of statins on the liver and therefore choose a low fat, low cholesterol diet along with exercise to reduce my risks.

Being called judgmental is "joshing a little bit and using sarcasm?"
  • Mustang_Susie
    Options

It's not bad provided the rest of the day meets their nutrition needs and calorie needs. No need to judge anyone else based on their food choices.

How is it good?
    Again, I wasn't judging her at all.
    Just saying that I wouldn't want to eat what she was eating.
    She can choose what she wants.