What Is It About Bacon?

Options

Replies

• alyssamacon
    alyssamacon Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I don't know what it is... but it sure is delicious! I love it and always have. I don't eat it as often as I used to (I only eat meat in one or two meals a week usually)... but I don't see myself ever giving bacon up completely!
  • helenbourgeois
    helenbourgeois Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I love bacon! It is my downfall for sure. I only have one slice for breakfast, zapped in the microwave and when I finish the package I wait a week before I start the next one. I guess it's like other people's sugar fix, I love salt and grease and have given up potato chips maybe one day the bacon will go too!
  • liittlesparrow
    liittlesparrow Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I understand people like bacon, but to me I think it became more of.... a fad to like it? I guess. I never remember hearing much about it until a few years ago people started making stupid jokes about it and how "godly" it was. I think people just went along with it being awesome, even if they actually don't eat it a lot.
  • siany01
    siany01 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I used to love Bacon. It was my best friend on a Saturday morning. But, since having my last child I hate it. I still like the smell but, if I try to eat it, it makes me heave. I also have the same problem with Eggs. Except even the smell of them makes me feel sick. When I tell people I don't like Bacon & Eggs they look at me as if I have lost the plot. :ohwell:
  • jmcreynolds91
    jmcreynolds91 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I like bacon. Im not crazy about it like some people are. Ill have a piece here and there but not hooked on it.
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    Another Bacon lover here. Was the hardest thing to resist when I was vegetarian.

Bacon and avocado salad is lovely. Most of the bacon in the UK is rind-less nowadays but if i get cheap bacon to add to a dish I've been known to fry up the rinds. Must stem from my childhood when my dad would trim the rinds of and fry them to give to the dog. That poor dog must have hated us as the kids would eat them all.

edit PS My hubby has bought some bacconaise from the American section in Tescos.
  • meredith1123
    meredith1123 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    Bacon is good, and more bacon is better. I'll even eat turkey bacon, but the real deal is the best. What's great about bacon? i can eat two slices and not kill my diet. What's even better about bacon? my ENTIRE family loves it - including my toddler son who is a picky eater!
    so pile it up baby!!!

edit: I also think those guys on Epic Meal time really threw the world into bacon and made it a huge fad. But bacon is still freaking delicious no matter what!

I love da pig!
  • meredith1123
    meredith1123 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    Who doesnt love the smell of their house after cooking bacon? come on! mmmmmm'z
  • StArBeLLa87
    StArBeLLa87 Posts: 1,582 Member
    Options
    I love turkey bacon it's yummy!
  • mogletdeluxe
    mogletdeluxe Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    BACON BACON BACON BACON. Salty, crispy, meaty, fatty, delicious BACON.

Don't even get me started on my love affair with its obese brother; the flavoured fat that is known as chorizo...
  • barbaratrollman
    barbaratrollman Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    What is it about bacon that makes people like it so much? I don't think any other meat product brings out emotions (not sure how else to say it) in people. Even here on MFP, I've seen people refusing to give up bacon.

Personally, I'm not into it. As a kid, the jelly-like fat on it gave me the creeps. There were classic battles at the breakfast table between my refusal to eat it and my dad telling me about all the starving kids in the world. Although, I could never see how two little strips of bacon could feed people. As an adult, I can't see the value as it doesn't seem like you get any meat. Overall, I just never acquired a taste for it.

So what's your bacon story? Why do you like it, or not?

I'm with you here. I'm not passionate about bacon, pro or con. If it weren't so greasy, I'd like the flavor.
    I don't like turkey bacon, because I find it's texture objectionable.
  • K_Serz
    K_Serz Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    What is it about bacon that makes people like it so much?

The fat-protein-carbohydrate calorie ratio makes it a perfect ketogenic food.

No idea why people like bacon so much. I prefer cripsy bacon to rubbery fatty bacon, however nothing beats a nicely seared, medium rare ribeye.
  • aliciagetshealthy
    aliciagetshealthy Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    How else do you make grilled cheese without bacon?!

photo-14.jpg

Or tacos?
    photo_zps7bb18e37.jpg

After seeing this, greek yogurt is a huge letdown

BACON!!!
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    Because it's freakin' delicious?
  • Delicate
    Delicate Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Cause pig is tastey.

Bacon, pork, ribs, yum yum yum i think its cause its all a bit salty so it hits the taste spot.

I have a friend who hates bacon, but loves pork belly, umm its pretty much the same thing!

Its a good source of protein, and compliments eggs perfectly.
  • ihad
    ihad Posts: 7,463 Member
    Options
    The Bacon Explosion... a lattice of bacon, covered in sausage, topped with crispy bacon, rolled together, and baked to perfection.

2uhy4xc.jpg
  • Judas_Queen
    Judas_Queen Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    if the fat on my bacon is still jelly like.. my bacon ain't cooked enough! i love cripsy bacon. That said, i don't have it very often, perhaps twice a month on a saturday when i go for a cooked breakfast after the gym!

having said that... i'm going away next week for a few days and already thinking about all the bacon i'm gonna cook... i love me some bacon.. but i can't work out why (apart from the fact it is delicious!)
  • kegger1997
    Options
    I love bacon ,:love::love: crispy bacon...

me too extra crispy.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    The fat on it always grossed me out too. I'm sure that in some part contributed to my vegetarianism, not only do I now think eating meat is wrong, but when I did eat it getting a hunk of chewy fat in my mouth always made me loose my appetite.
  • 78brownie_wechanged
    Options
    I don't eat pork and at one point I didn't eat bacon of any kind. Now I'm loving turkey bacon.