What Is It About Bacon?

Options
1235»

Replies

• Logical_Integrity
    Options
    So what's your bacon story? Why do you like it, or not?

I have no bacon story per say, but I love bacon. I enjoy all meat. Pork just happens to be my favorite and it has much to do with bacon. I like my bacon very well done and never eat it when the fat is isn't thoroughly cooked and chewy. I have not eaten bacon for a little over 3 weeks now and have switched over to turkey bacon. This is only because the lower sodium content and the fact I love to eat so lower sodium products leave more room for an abundance of food.
  • StinkyWinkies
    StinkyWinkies Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    The Bacon Explosion... a lattice of bacon, covered in sausage, topped with crispy bacon, rolled together, and baked to perfection.

2uhy4xc.jpg

Sorry my friend, but that just looks gross... :~)
  • StinkyWinkies
    StinkyWinkies Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    I think, as someone else posted, it's an internet meme...but what do I know?
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    I love bacon... but I'm not crazy about it crispy. I'll still eat it, but I prefer it cooked medium. I just had some because of this thread lol
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    What is it about bacon that makes people like it so much? I don't think any other meat product brings out emotions (not sure how else to say it) in people. Even here on MFP, I've seen people refusing to give up bacon.

It's trendy. That's why people are all ga-ga for it.

It tastes pretty good, but it's all trend that causes the disproportionate love.

I make my own bacon at home, and I'm looking at expanding my "business" because frankly, there is so much trend-love for it. My problem though is figuring out a price. I know my cost, but I don't know how much is too little too charge, and don't really have the ability to perform a price test.

So. How much would you pay for small batch, local grown and cured bacon?

Would you pay more for special flavors?
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    What is it about bacon that makes people like it so much? I don't think any other meat product brings out emotions (not sure how else to say it) in people. Even here on MFP, I've seen people refusing to give up bacon.

It's trendy. That's why people are all ga-ga for it.

It tastes pretty good, but it's all trend that causes the disproportionate love.

I make my own bacon at home, and I'm looking at expanding my "business" because frankly, there is so much trend-love for it. My problem though is figuring out a price. I know my cost, but I don't know how much is too little too charge, and don't really have the ability to perform a price test.

So. How much would you pay for small batch, local grown and cured bacon?

Would you pay more for special flavors?

That would depend on how the animal was raised. I only buy meat from pastured animals, and I don't mind paying more for that. I wouldn't pay more than 1.00/lb for flavour.
  • starracer23
    starracer23 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    Its BACON for crying out loud, there is no way not to adore and worship it!
  • Luvmesumkenny
    Luvmesumkenny Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    It's meat candy.

BACON,
    You greasy, fatty, deceptively delicious, meaty *kitten*,
    I LOVE YOU :heart:
  • Cold_Steel
    Cold_Steel Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    Bacon is a smokey, savoury, salty, sweet compliment to the palate, perfect alone or as a compliment to many other dishes. :)

Well said - exactly -

It is a complex flavor profile it adds zing to just about any thing.

Its fat - sorry to say but that is where the majority of good "flavor" comes from is the fat...

Think about what is made out of lard and other fats/ oils etc and tell me its not good