Juicing VS eating Vegetables - THE REAL TRUTH!

Options
There has been a lot of debate - juicing or eating veggies?

JUICING ALL THE WAY! Here is why: A big difference between juiced vegetables and whole vegetables is digestion. According to the Living and Raw Foods website, juicing removes the indigestible fiber that is present in vegetables. Much more of the nutrients are then absorbed by the body as compared to eating the whole vegetable.

I have been keeping up with this blog - http://bit.ly/17q7oWo
It explains various natural supplements, juicing recipes, benefits of certain foods, etc.
I came across their blog on a Twitter posting from my friend; very interesting articles. Their product line is actually one of the best 'all natural' Ive came across in a while.

What is your opinion? Do you prefer juicing or eating your veggies?!

Replies

• Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    One side of the debate is that once the fiber is taken away then the nutrients pass through your body more quickly- sounds good, right? The second side of the debate is that because the juice is passing through your body so quickly, your intestines will not be able to absorb the nutrients fast enough.
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    I don't like the idea of consuming your fruits and veggies in juice form. The fiber is the main thing lost but in my opinion the fiber is the most important reason to eat fruits and veggies. They greatly help slow absorbtion of our meals and they aid in proper digestion. Vitamins aren't as important because you get them from your multi anyway. Not to say they aren't great but I believe losing the fiber defeats the main purpose of eating fruits / veggies.

If you take a fiber supplement then sure go ahead. It's obviously much better to drink carrot juice or whatever then is would be to drink soda.
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options
    But the indigestible fiber helps me poop. And I like to poop.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    There has been a lot of debate - juicing or eating veggies?
    there has? eating has been around for few million years. juicing has been around for a few years. now there's a debate over if we should eat food or sip it thru a straw? When did this happen?
    juicing removes the indigestible fiber that is present in vegetables.
    well, sounds like the debate is over. Mother Nature -1, Juicing -0. Thanks for coming out
    What is your opinion? Do you prefer juicing or eating your veggies?!
    wait, we're still talking about this? until all the teeth fall out of my head i'm going to prefer eating food. that's why i have, you know, teeth. can we stop pretending this is a real debate now? because this is sooooooo not a thing.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Me too. I also like to chew.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

Me too. I also like to chew.

Teeth are good
  • ajhugz
    ajhugz Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    I'd rather juice my apples than buy apple juice at the store. I don't see the big deal. also juice and chew veggies depending on how I feel that day. There are some good juicing recipes out there. It doesn't mean you have to cut out chewing veggies indefinitely.

edited for veggies
  • cmeiron
    cmeiron Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    Also, why is it that you think that your digestive system is incapable of extracting nutrients just because fibre is present?

(Plus, yeah. Pooping and chewing are both amazeballs.)
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    Well, I love eating vegetables and I HATE juicing, so for me, no question.
  • lukedwr
    lukedwr Posts: 16
    Options
    That's an interesting website. Some questionable facts and reasoning, but interesting :)
  • ajhugz
    ajhugz Posts: 452 Member
    Options
  • Babeskeez
    Babeskeez Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Ill never understand this juicing trend. Its a trend, just like it was in the...what? Late 90's? Food is made to be EATEN and chewed. If you wouldnt eat 10 oranges, a whole bok choy and a grapefruit in one sitting, you probably shouldn't drink it either (yes someone I know did this).
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I prefer eating.
  • TimSPC
    TimSPC Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Ever notice how whenever a subject line says something like "THE REAL TRUTH" or a post says it's going to settle a debate, wackiness ensues?
  • anaquay
    anaquay Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I juice when I fancy a cold drink, I then use all the fiber to thicken soups and stews. Don't really change the flavour and means I get all the goodness not extracted by the juicer.
  • shiseido_faerie
    shiseido_faerie Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    I prefer to eat my vegetables, but I generally can't eat raw vegetables, only cooked, so every now and then I will juice some as well.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    LOL um ok...

Well if it works for you just try to get in some insoluble fiber as it has can help prevent or reduce the signs/symptoms of colorectal cancer, constipation, IBS, diverticulitis and osis, chrons disease, hypercholesterolemia, and diabetes along with a host of other diseases.

And cuz everyone loves a good review...

J Am Diet Assoc. 2002 Jul;102(7):993-1000.
    Position of the American Dietetic Association: health implications of dietary fiber.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12146567
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Yeah, because who needs fibre :huh:
    Not everyone has a problem dropping a deuce.
    and finally an answer to this question from the mayo clinic

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/juicing/AN02107

I would suggest op that you form your opinions through non biased websites. :noway:
    You smoking gun "answer" says basically, there is no science saying it's bad or good. Your answer is about as neutral as it gets.

Juicing can be a delicious and efficient supplementation to a decent diet. There is a lot of biased blather in both directions, but it's helping people get a lot of nutrients and anti-oxidants they wouldn't normally get.

People get so silly about the oddest things.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Nothing like a good poop.