Juicing VS eating Vegetables - THE REAL TRUTH!

Options

Replies

• ggxx100
    ggxx100 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I say ultimately both play a substantial role in my health and day to day life!

In terms of juicing...I am definitely a juicing fiend. I'm not one for juice fasts, but have had my daily green juice for about a year now (haven't missed a day). The energy I get from green juice is unparalleled, not to mention in my digestion and skin. I could go on about the scientific reasons and nutrient assimilation, but I doubt anyone wants to hear about that. Point is, I could never eat the amount of vegetables I put into a juice. My daily juice consists of: 1 head kale, 2 stalks celery 2 stalks cucumber, handful of spinach, and a half a green apple. Imagine chowing down on that for breakfast.

Not a fan of juicing fruits, but it's a good way to ease into juicing.

Veggies, however, are in my opinion just as important. I don't feel as if I have filled my vegetable quota for the day just because I have my green juice...I still have room for my habitual green smoothie ;) (while I was losing weight, my breakfast ritual would be a green juice followed by a green smoothie)
  • HollyHobbitToes
    HollyHobbitToes Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I do both....juice AND eat my veggies....or sometimes have a green smoothie with freshly juiced carrot and lime....I also add ground flax to my juice....I find it gives me lots of energy personally....but I would never juice exclusively....
  • darkguardian419
    darkguardian419 Posts: 1,302 Member
    Options
    Every time someone mentions juicing, I just think of the movie WALL-E. Yeah, I'll stick to eating.

That's all I've got... everyone already posted good references :laugh:
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    juicing removes the indigestible fiber that is present in vegetables.

That's not a good thing.
  • Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    Not sure if this has been mentioned, but I just read an article about this yesterday, and it said that the fiber in fruits and vegetables slows your digestion which gives you time to absorb more of the nutrients, whereas the juice goes through pretty quickly and you don't get full absorption.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Only reason for juicing:

h5BB850D0

For everyone else, eat the fruit.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    So let's see if I got this straight. We're against processed foods for the most part and think whole foods are best. Then we want to go out and buy a machine that processes and whole food, removes valuable fiber, concentrates sugars and has to cleaned after instead of eat the whole food of fruits and veggies??? I'm so confused!! :huh:
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    fiber is overrated tbh.

you really don't need more than 25-40g of fiber, and even if you juice, you should be able to reach those goals pretty easily if you - wait for it - don't juice ALL your fruits and veggies.

damn it... that silly m-word rearing its head again.
    the word is moderation.

IN to find out more about these mythical people that magically consume 25-40 grams of fiber daily, before they eat fruits and veggies. Who are these Rabbit People, and which planets do they hail from?

sorry buddy, but I said that you can juice AND meet your fiber goals. I do.

you just don't juice everything.

reading comprehension win!
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    juicing removes the indigestible fiber that is present in vegetables.

That's not a good thing.

it can be. as long as you're getting enough fiber daily, juicing and removing the fiber allows more of the nutrients in the fruit to be absorbed and to be absorbed faster.

for instance, I juice first thing when I get up in the morning. couple carrots and an apple. 1) it's delicious and 2) the enzymes are great to improve my digestion, and 3) having that in my stomach by itself allows the nutrients to be absorbed quickly and help my body remain in a more alkaline state.

but guess what? I also have a big ole salad for lunch and I meet my fiber requirements every day.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    fiber is overrated tbh.

you really don't need more than 25-40g of fiber, and even if you juice, you should be able to reach those goals pretty easily if you - wait for it - don't juice ALL your fruits and veggies.

the word is moderation.

IN to find out more about these mythical people that magically consume 25-40 grams of fiber daily, before they eat fruits and veggies. Who are these Rabbit People, and which planets do they hail from?

Soooooo...... someone that hates fruits and veggies so much they have to juice is going to juice AND eat a ton of fruits and veggies? Or they love it so much they are going to eat and drink fruits and veggies all day? Who are these Rabbit People?

Practical application fail!
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    fiber is overrated tbh.

the word is moderation.

Soooooo...... someone that hates fruits and veggies so much they have to juice is going to juice AND eat a ton of fruits and veggies? Or they love it so much they are going to eat and drink fruits and veggies all day? Who are these Rabbit People?

Practical application fail!

someone that hates fruits and veggies needs to get over their first world problem, suck it up and learn to like them. i don't cater to whiners
  • shellbatronic
    Options
    It's handy that so many of the most emphatic "pro-juicing" people are also willing to sell you their juicers. Funny thing, that.
  • barbaratrollman
    barbaratrollman Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    ... and .... BACK ON TOPIC ... Our family makes 'juice' with our Vitamix. Drop the fruit and/or veggie in the Vitamix blender, add some water (or whatever) and let it go to town. All the nutrients, all the pulp, all the flavor. Much better than juice, imo.

Me too! Love my Vitamix! I've been using the heck out of it for 6 years. Green smoothies ROCK! \o/
  • ArchangelMJ
    ArchangelMJ Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Ick, I refuse to even contemplate drinking a "juiced" vegetable. I can't even stand smoothies though I know so many people love those. It's the thickness and the fact that I'd really rather just eat the food.
  • RCottonRPh
    RCottonRPh Posts: 148
    Options
    You can drink your veggies AND keep the fiber...that's why I have a Vitamix!
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    But the indigestible fiber helps me poop. And I like to poop.

Me too. I also like to chew.

This is a good point. Psychologically, chewing actually helps trigger satiety. Drinking juice --- not so much.
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    I juice when I fancy a cold drink, I then use all the fiber to thicken soups and stews. Don't really change the flavour and means I get all the goodness not extracted by the juicer.

Now this is, IMO, a legitimate reason to juice -- you want a nice, cold drink, but want it to be healthy. Much better than soda, right? (Just keep it in moderation, like everything else)
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    I just like simple. Eating fruits and veggies is simple. No appliance to clean. I love gooey, sticky mangoes and crunchy red delicious apples. Guavas, papaya, pineapple, cucumber.... damn it's like sacrilage to toss any of it away.
    Plus, it's so filling. Doesn't juice leave you wanting more?
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options

Now this is, IMO, a legitimate reason to juice -- you want a nice, cold drink, but want it to be healthy. Much better than soda, right? (Just keep it in moderation, like everything else)

I do luv pomegranate and melon martinis.
  • Queen_JessieA
    Queen_JessieA Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    Well, I love eating vegetables and I HATE juicing, so for me, no question.

Me, too! I have a juicer. Cleaning up after juicing makes the BIGGEST mess!!