Juicing VS eating Vegetables - THE REAL TRUTH!

Options

Replies

• sunlover89
    sunlover89 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I need the fibre, and I can't afford to buy veggies to eat AND juice, I don't **** gold!!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,688 Member
    Options
    Here's what I've observed: the majority of juicers (in real life) have a tendency not to eat their meals a prefer to drink them. What about here?
    There's a reason why we were born with teeth. And it wasn't so we could drink the juice of fruits and vegetables.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • albertabeefy
    albertabeefy Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    The fiber in fruit also negates many of the negitive effects of its sugar content.
    This is actually a myth. The fiber can slow digestion/absorption, but it doesn't negate anything. The same amount of sugar is still absorbed into the system, the same amount of insulin is still needed to process it, etc.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    fiber is overrated tbh.

you really don't need more than 25-40g of fiber, and even if you juice, you should be able to reach those goals pretty easily if you - wait for it - don't juice ALL your fruits and veggies.

damn it... that silly m-word rearing its head again.
    the word is moderation.

IN to find out more about these mythical people that magically consume 25-40 grams of fiber daily, before they eat fruits and veggies. Who are these Rabbit People, and which planets do they hail from?
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    fiber is overrated tbh.

Don't you have digestive problems?
    My father actually needs to eat significant volumes of extra fiber (bran with eggs? Yuck).
  • persistantone
    persistantone Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    The fiber in fruit also negates many of the negitive effects of its sugar content.
    This is actually a myth. The fiber can slow digestion/absorption, but it doesn't negate anything. The same amount of sugar is still absorbed into the system, the same amount of insulin is still needed to process it, etc.

It's not a myth. The same amount insulin is needed to process it, yes, but it is released at a much slower rate due to the fiber slowing digestion/absorption, which, in effect, basically prevents insulin spikes. Insulin spikes being the negative effects of sugar content. Endocrinology is cool.
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options

It's not a myth. The same amount insulin is needed to process it, yes, but it is released at a much slower rate due to the fiber slowing digestion/absorption, which, in effect, basically prevents insulin spikes. Insulin spikes being the negative effects of sugar content. Endocrinology is cool.

Oh, endocrinology. I love you <3
  • phyllisbobbitt
    phyllisbobbitt Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: the old juicing machines would spit out the pulp of the fruits or veggies! the new juicers don't separate the juice from the pulp! it just crushes the veggies & fruits so blended that you can't taste the pulp! i say if you don't like to eat fresh veggies, juicing is the way to go!
  • LavenderBouquet
    LavenderBouquet Posts: 736 Member
    Options
    But the indigestible fiber helps me poop. And I like to poop.

:drinker:
  • mrsjefferson125
    Options
    I personally love both. I am vegan and love to chew veggies, but then there are some I hate the taste of but love to drink! Take for instance Kale...who knows how to cook that? I prefer to juice it with other things and just drink it. Or beets....who the heck likes those? Just juice it! That's my 2 cents... I also like to poo :0)
  • albertabeefy
    Options

Insulin spikes are not seen by everyone as a negative effect - bodybuilders often seek them out post-workout to aid in protein delivery.

Glucotoxicity is more of a concern. And for anyone with impaired glucose tolerance (which, unfortunately, is now a huge percentage of the population), their overall long-term glycemic control (best determined by their HbA1c test) will be the same regardless of if it was absorbed in 10 minutes or 3 hours.

Yes, endocrinology is cool - as is knowing how to apply it in all cases.
  • persistantone
    persistantone Posts: 59 Member
    Options

Insulin spikes are not seen by everyone as a negative effect - bodybuilders often seek them out post-workout to aid in protein delivery.

Glucotoxicity is more of a concern. And for anyone with impaired glucose tolerance (which, unfortunately, is now a huge percentage of the populateion), their overall long-term glycemic control (best determined by their HbA1c test) will be the same regardless of if it was absorbed in 10 minutes or 3 hours.

Yes, endocrinology is cool - as is knowing how to apply it in all cases.

Fair enough. Diabetes runs in both of my families. I can only speak from what I know. And since I'm not an endocrinologist, nor will I ever be one, I doubt I will ever know how to apply it in all cases. But, you know, one can dream. Still, I like learning about it. So, thanks for the lesson :)

Also, negativity is inherently dependent upon context. Just sayin'
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    I prefer real vegetables because well.... you need fiber. You know.
  • albertabeefy
    Options
    Fair enough. Diabetes runs in both of my families. I can only speak from what I know. And since I'm not an endocrinologist, nor will I ever be one, I doubt I will ever know how to apply it in all cases. But, you know, one can dream. Still, I like learning about it. So, thanks for the lesson :)

Also, negativity is inherently dependent upon context. Just sayin'
    There's very little that's negative about spikes in insulin - they happen all the time, and are natural, even without carbohydrate ingestion. A good steak will cause an insulin spike.

One principle of endocrinology is what's called "receptor down-regulation".

Basically, if concentrations of a hormone increase and become chronically high (not just spikes), then receptor numbers or function 'down-regulate' to maintain the status quo.

This is why it's hyperinsulinemia (chronically-elevated insulin levels) as opposed to post-prandial (after-meal) spikes that cause insulin-resistance.

... and .... BACK ON TOPIC ... Our family makes 'juice' with our Vitamix. Drop the fruit and/or veggie in the Vitamix blender, add some water (or whatever) and let it go to town. All the nutrients, all the pulp, all the flavor. Much better than juice, imo.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    Yeah, because who needs fibre :huh:
    Not everyone has a problem dropping a deuce.
    and finally an answer to this question from the mayo clinic

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/juicing/AN02107

I would suggest op that you form your opinions through non biased websites. :noway:
    You smoking gun "answer" says basically, there is no science saying it's bad or good. Your answer is about as neutral as it gets.

Juicing can be a delicious and efficient supplementation to a decent diet. There is a lot of biased blather in both directions, but it's helping people get a lot of nutrients and anti-oxidants they wouldn't normally get.

People get so silly about the oddest things.

You're so funny - where did I say my link was a smoking gun? I just thought I'd give an opinion from a non biased source.

I think juicing has it's place as part of a balanced diet but it shouldn't be one or the other - sorry I was silly and didn't make that clearer. :huh:

Oh and you need fibre for more than just pooping.
  • Delicate
    Delicate Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I used to juice my fruit and eat the pulp, it was really tastey especially carrot, ginger and apple.

The juice usually went to someone who wanted it.

I liked the pulp the best :(
  • donnawalker47
    Options
    I have been juicing for years and it definitely gives you an energy boost especially when you are feeling unwell and have no appetite to eat fruit and veg. Recommend both!
  • EngineerPrincess
    EngineerPrincess Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    From a scientific perspective (no bro science here, I'm a bioengineer), over the past several thousand years our bodies have evolved to consume veggies and fruits how we've been doing it the whole time...eating them. People in history had no reason to throw away the edible fiber when they were hungry. And our body slowly optimized itself to benefit from that. If we had only had access to juice in the past thousands of years, I'd say our bodies would have accommodated to best absorb the nutrients that way. We are VERY far from knowing all the body's mechanisms and adjustments it has made through changes (evolution), but I think it's safe to say juicing isn't some sort of scientific miracle. (Cooking vs cooking is a tougher debate imo.)
  • Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    Doesnt make a difference ... if u want ultimate benefits juice but the difference is minute
  • lhourin
    lhourin Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I probably wouldn't drink fruit juice (even freshly juiced) because we try to avoid ingesting straight carbs (especially with all the fiber taken out...not good!) but some veggie juices are tasty and a little more nutritious.

My favorite "juice" is actually more of a smoothie--made with a ton of spinace or kale, an avocado, a couple fo grape tomatoes, a red pepper or two, jalapenos or salsa verde, and some plain, high-fat greek yogurt. A combination like that is a little more balanced than straight juice, and is a way to quickly down a ton of veggies. Plus it's very "food-like", taste-wise...and filling for more than 2 minutes.

We have friends who juice, like as a diet or a fast....they always lose a few pounds and then immediately regain it back when they resume eating their regular diet. That always seems silly. But juicing occasionally, or with some added fats or protein (I guess that'd be on the side, if you're using a juicer; it's not like you're gonna stick a steak in there, right?) seems fine.