nicola1812 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    bump
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,080 Member
    Options
    I just do both.

*snipped*

Anyway, my body loves it. I have tons of energy (but I'm also eating enough to fuel my workouts).

I was recently told there is no such thing as over training, only under recovery. This was from a coach who trained in both sprinting and Oly lifting.

Eat enough, sleep enough and do what you like!

I am pretty much in this category. I run, cycle, swim and lift heavy (my rest day is active, I workout 6 days per week). Since adjusting my food intake and macros, I have not looked back and am still losing weight steadily.
  • medic2038
    medic2038 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I just do both.

Before I found weights, I only ran. I trained for a marathon. I defiantly was not fat, but then again, I did HITT training along with the long runs.

Now I do Oly lifting and running. Three days a week running HITT style (3-4 miles with 1.5 mile warm up and cool down). I lift on my own twice a week and Oly classes twice a week. On the days I lift, I usually spend an hour or so on the stair machine.

That's not HIIT, if you're claiming 3-4 miles is HIIT you're doing it wrong. A lot of people do interval training and call it HIIT, but they're not the same thing. True HIIT intervals only last between 30-60 seconds, because they're at 100% maximum exertion (they also can't be done safely/effectively on a treadmill). A real HIIT workout takes maybe 20 minutes (and that's including warmup/cooldown).
  • SenseiCole
    SenseiCole Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    each to there own I say

I've done karate for over 16 years and will do what I love even when I have to use a walking frame, (so a long time)

I enjoy the gym, I love the bike and rowing machine, no so keen on that step thing

enjoy the weights

GUYS and GIRLS do what you love

each to there own

"I workout, because I can. When I get tired, or I am short on time, or I want to quit...I think about how lucky I am to be healthy enough to workout daily. Be grateful for your health and your ability to become STRONGER. Don't ever take it for granted!"

'if you dont want to be a fat lazy &%$*& then dont eat crap and do some excercise'
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    I reread the article several times. It brings ups the same discoveries we have intense moments of fellowship and discussion about on our forums here...

1) You lose weight by your daily intake (you can't correct the cheese cake factory feasts damage by working out alone)
    2) Cardio is good for you
    3) weight lifting is good for you
    4) resistance training is good for you.

The article just attempts to make fun out of people "over doing" one of the above to make a point. I don't find it funny. I think it is more important to point out the need to have goals or reasons to hit the treadmill.. and maintaining our current health is as important a goal to me as is a body builders desire to compete. They are just different goals.

I think we all find our way to what works for us at the right time given our life and work demands. People run for more than just the physical weight maintenance. They like the endo rush they get. it is a good way to get time to clear your mind and get oxygen in your system. Good for runners knowing what works for them.

I don't think the intense moments of fellowship and debates on balancing among nutrition, weight lifting and cardio are bad, I think they highlight we need to continously monitor how our bodies are reacting to what we do them. Thanks to all the posters who highlight that!
  • taiyola
    taiyola Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I thought it was poorly written. The author lost me in the beginning dissing people bench pressing and doing curls, and also dissing cardio. WTF is he/she talking about? I didn't read the whole thing, because as I said, whatever message they were trying to convey, they failed right from the start, iMO.

This.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    So the author of this non-peer reviewed article holds degrees in mathematics and physics... why would I go there for nutrition and fitness advice??? Each to their own however :flowerforyou:
    did you miss the dozens of peer reviewed research papers he cited???

sigh, you guys are amazing. the classic ad hominem logic fallacy.

"Citing" research papers and understanding them are two vastly different things. I mentioned this in one the last four discussions we had on this article. I specifically said that the author represented a particular type of "fitness author"--a guy with advanced degrees who is just intelligent enough to be stupid. Throughout the years, I have found that certain people from this background--advanced degrees in biochemistry, math, physics, engineering--can become so preoccupied with the "micro" that they miss the "macro" picture completely.

The classic example is Covert Bailey. Biochemistry degree from MIT. Became famous in the early 1990s for his book "Fit or Fat". Bailey used numerous studies and the glib use of details in biochemistry to construct a persuasive paradigm supporting the concept of the "fat burning zone". His arguments were so persuasive that, 20+ years later, the "fat-burning" concept is still believed my many people and it is built into the infrastructure of almost every cardio machine and heart rate monitor.

Only problem? It was all wrong.

It is partly in response to the popularity of Bailey's ideas that you have had a movement in recent years back towards HIIT and resistance training. And those ideologues are making the same mistakes.

They are failing the same way that those who have over-emphasized the importance and effectiveness of cardio have failed--by ignoring the reality in front of their faces in order to push a political and often ego-driven agenda. People who assert that "you have to do cardio to burn fat" ignore the reality of tens of thousands of people who have successfully transformed their bodies via resistance training. People, like the author of his article and those in his ideological camp, make the exact same mistake, only in reverse.

It doesn't take a degree is psychology to see the whopping amounts of projection in these types of approaches. You combine that with a certain talent for glibness and the intelligence to microparse research data--and the result is the big, steaming pile of nonsense produced by this author and those like him.
  • medic2038
    medic2038 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    So the author of this non-peer reviewed article holds degrees in mathematics and physics... why would I go there for nutrition and fitness advice??? Each to their own however :flowerforyou:
    did you miss the dozens of peer reviewed research papers he cited???

sigh, you guys are amazing. the classic ad hominem logic fallacy.

"Citing" research papers and understanding them are two vastly different things. I mentioned this in one the last four discussions we had on this article. I specifically said that the author represented a particular type of "fitness author"--a guy with advanced degrees who is just intelligent enough to be stupid. Throughout the years, I have found that certain people from this background--advanced degrees in biochemistry, math, physics, engineering--can become so preoccupied with the "micro" that they miss the "macro" picture completely.

The classic example is Covert Bailey. Biochemistry degree from MIT. Became famous in the early 1990s for his book "Fit or Fat". Bailey used numerous studies and the glib use of details in biochemistry to construct a persuasive paradigm supporting the concept of the "fat burning zone". His arguments were so persuasive that, 20+ years later, the "fat-burning" concept is still believed my many people and it is built into the infrastructure of almost every cardio machine and heart rate monitor.

Only problem? It was all wrong.

It is partly in response to the popularity of Bailey's ideas that you have had a movement in recent years back towards HIIT and resistance training. And those ideologues are making the same mistakes.

They are failing the same way that those who have over-emphasized the importance and effectiveness of cardio have failed--by ignoring the reality in front of their faces in order to push a political and often ego-driven agenda. People who assert that "you have to do cardio to burn fat" ignore the reality of tens of thousands of people who have successfully transformed their bodies via resistance training. People, like the author of his article and those in his ideological camp, make the exact same mistake, only in reverse.

It doesn't take a degree is psychology to see the whopping amounts of projection in these types of approaches. You combine that with a certain talent for glibness and the intelligence to microparse research data--and the result is the big, steaming pile of nonsense produced by this author and those like him.

Spot on analysis! Although I haven't dug through the research cited here myself I have the same conclusion as you. Even those conducting the studies themselves can inherently have bias ( they make their date try to fit their hypothesis, or draw some specific conclusion that don't exactly fit,etc). Data is simply data, people manipulate data everyday.

Simply because something is "peer reviewed" or in a "journal" doesn't make it infallible, and I wish more people would actually understand this. I'm planning on submitting my own research for journal publication (law/legal) sometime this year. Will it look nice on my resume/CV, yep; ultimately it's still my individual viewpoint.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    To me this just sounds like someone who hates cardio and wants a valid excuse to never do it again.

Everything in moderation.

I like to run, and will continue to do so until the day I die. I've never seen an overweight runner. I don't spend hours every day, running though.

Really? I see overweight runners in my gym every single day.

OMG ! I have seen bunches of overweight lifters !

My post wasn't made in a lifter v runner way. It was in response to the post I quoted about not seeing overweight runners. I don't see what you seeing overweight lifters has anything to do with the fact that I see heavy runners in my gym at all....

I found the error. It's super rare to find a runner on a treadmill at the gym.
  • Still_Fluffy
    Still_Fluffy Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    This article is BS. Here is a shocker, anything to an extreme is not good for you. Any serious runner will tell you should lift too. But to say you can't loose weight from running in BS. I lost a over 100 pound by running and eating less calories. If all it took to lose weight was to have a good T3 count there would be a pill for it and there wouldn't be any fat people.

Running alone will not get you your perfect body. You need to watch what you eat, lift weights and work at. Demonizing running is ridiculous. This article sounds like something a pissed off Dr. Oz would write.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    I just do both.

Before I found weights, I only ran. I trained for a marathon. I defiantly was not fat, but then again, I did HITT training along with the long runs.

Now I do Oly lifting and running. Three days a week running HITT style (3-4 miles with 1.5 mile warm up and cool down). I lift on my own twice a week and Oly classes twice a week. On the days I lift, I usually spend an hour or so on the stair machine.

That's not HIIT, if you're claiming 3-4 miles is HIIT you're doing it wrong. A lot of people do interval training and call it HIIT, but they're not the same thing. True HIIT intervals only last between 30-60 seconds, because they're at 100% maximum exertion (they also can't be done safely/effectively on a treadmill). A real HIIT workout takes maybe 20 minutes (and that's including warmup/cooldown).
    Agree. A lot of people throwing in a couple of bouts of intervals at a faster pace, speed, intensity is well..................interval training, It's not HIIT.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • sexymuffintop
    Options
    To me this just sounds like someone who hates cardio and wants a valid excuse to never do it again.

Everything in moderation.

I like to run, and will continue to do so until the day I die. I've never seen an overweight runner. I don't spend hours every day, running though.

Really? I see overweight runners in my gym every single day.

OMG ! I have seen bunches of overweight lifters !

My post wasn't made in a lifter v runner way. It was in response to the post I quoted about not seeing overweight runners. I don't see what you seeing overweight lifters has anything to do with the fact that I see heavy runners in my gym at all....

Ha! That was done to death in a thread a couple of days ago. There were a LOT of treadmill users with their pants in a bunch if I remember rightly lol
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,080 Member
    Options

Agreed, we like running outdoors on trails and roads, in the fresh air, actually moving places... : )
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options

Agreed, we like running outdoors on trails and roads, in the fresh air, actually moving places... : )

I'm a runner. I joined a gym 2 months ago just so I could use the treadmill on the really hot days. Does that then make me NOT a runner despite the fact I run outside now it's cooler? I was a runner outside before I was inside. I hate the treadmill cause I can't actually get a breeze going that will cool me down & I end up sweating way more.

I know it must be rare & trust me I've not been to the gym in a month because I hate it so much on the damn thing.