2050 Calories A DAY?!

Options

Replies

• patmoomur
    patmoomur Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Is that 2050 to maintain your present weight? If so you need to reduce it by about 500 to lose 1 pound a week. That sounds about right to me. I am 5'4" and weigh 223. I am consuming 1300 average per day and still losing. I may reduce the daily intake at the end of the week after a visit to my dietitian.
  • abnerner
    abnerner Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    Is that 2050 to maintain your present weight? If so you need to reduce it by about 500 to lose 1 pound a week. That sounds about right to me. I am 5'4" and weigh 223. I am consuming 1300 average per day and still losing. I may reduce the daily intake at the end of the week after a visit to my dietitian.

Nope, this is with a 20% calorie reduction (for fat loss).
  • ghsfitnesspal
    ghsfitnesspal Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Quote:If you are looking to add healthy calories good choices are avocado, roasted nuts, and peanut butter. All of these in moderation provide good sources of healthy fats, fiber, and protein.

I said about a cheesy pizza slice as a joke, but having said it, I'm now wondering why a decent pizza (homemade so you know what's in and on it) is 'bad' compared to peanut butter? Flour, butter, milk, cheese, tomatoes, vegetables on top seems pretty sensible to me.

Is cheese a bad fat and peanut and avocado good fats?

Not trolling, just curious! The person who said flat out 'no' wasn't very helpful and this is a good information source!
  • patmoomur
    patmoomur Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    healthy pizza is available in the freezer section at your grocery store. Ristorante or Dr. Oetker make thin crust light and tasty pizza's and according to the calories, you should be able to eat two slices along with a nice salad. Great meal and pizza satisfying.
  • NYCNika
    NYCNika Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Just for reference, I am 5'3, started with 164lb weight and had great results on 1,450 NET calories a day. I'm loosing way faster than MFP estimates.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options

Please don't do that.

1300 is already very low. You seriously don't want to go lower or you could end up damanging your metabolism.

Read this:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/952996-level-obstacles-lose-weight-target-fat-easy
  • FitMrsR
    FitMrsR Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Mine set to a 20% fat reduction says I need to eat 2289.... current weight is 198.6, I am 5'6".... work out 5 - 6 hours a week (running, zumba, and some toning).....

If this is possible why does MFP have me set at 1520 (of course adding back cals when I workout but still dont' think I get to 2200)...

I'm so confused.. is this why my weight lose is soooo slow... after doing 30Day Shred consistently 30 Days straight... only lost 2.6lbs and 5.25 inches... after C25K lost 5lbs and 6.25 inches... and I knwo that is good don't get me wrong but when you still have 50ish lbs to lose and inches to lose too you would think it would come off with all the working out I've been doing????

First of all, those are excellent results. Measurements are sooooo much more accurate than the scale. And yes, I would eat the higher calorie amount. Try to eat as healthy as you can and pay attention to your macros. If you want cake have it though. A lot of people follow the 'as long as it fits your macros' line of thinking where you eat what you want as long as it fits. You do a lot of activity and eating more will be good. Give it a try for about 6 weeks and see what happens. Don't give up until the end of the 6 weeks then tweak it if you need to. Don't forget to keep adjusting your calorie amount as you lose weight
  • laurelboynton
    laurelboynton Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Quote:If you are looking to add healthy calories good choices are avocado, roasted nuts, and peanut butter. All of these in moderation provide good sources of healthy fats, fiber, and protein.

I said about a cheesy pizza slice as a joke, but having said it, I'm now wondering why a decent pizza (homemade so you know what's in and on it) is 'bad' compared to peanut butter? Flour, butter, milk, cheese, tomatoes, vegetables on top seems pretty sensible to me.

Not trolling, just curious! The person who said flat out 'no' wasn't very helpful and this is a good information source!

Cheese is a bad fat.. It's full of saturated fat.

Some cheeses like ricotta and feta are better than others. You can get half fat cheese but they don't taste as nice. A small amount of cheese is okay though I guess.
  • LoraF83
    Options

There's nothing wrong with pizza.

Pizza has carbs (good for energy), protein and fats (in the cheese) which are good for muscles and organ function. A couple of slices of restaurant pizza will not ruin you.

IIFYM - If it fits in your macros

This means that you plan your day to meet your macro goals. I aim to hit my protein goal and fat goal every day. I do that by eating plenty of lean meats and healthy fats. Then, I fill in the day with whatever else - making sure to have plenty of fruits and veggies. If I can make a slice of pizza fit, why not? I'm not suggesting that someone go out and eat a large Pizza Hut pizza every day. But, if you can manage a slice or two along with a spinach salad, why not eat it?
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    *sigh* so much poor advice in this thread.

OP, yes that number sounds reasonable. I get that it seems dramatically higher than what you're used to... but I'm assuming you're changing things up for a reason? Probably because something about your current approach isn't working?

As for eating more... eat whatever you want. If you want "clean" "whole" foods, fine. If you want pizza and burgers and ice cream, fine. If you want TV dinners, fine. Just hit that number and go from there. Weight loss happens regardless of the "quality" of your foods. If you have other health concerns, then let those dictate WHAT you eat. Weight loss should dictate HOW MUCH you eat.
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    I'm just gonna go ahead and say Fat=good. Cheese is delicious, avocados are delicious, nuts are delicious. Eat the foods. Make your own pizza, that way you can decide what to put on it, and what goes into the base.

2050 sounds reasonable to me. Especially if you're active a couple of days a week. Reducing it to something like 1300 just sounds ridiculous....thats very low.
  • ghsfitnesspal
    Options
    QUOTE:

Pizza has carbs (good for energy), protein and fats (in the cheese) which are good for muscles and organ function. A couple of slices of restaurant pizza will not ruin you.
    This means that you plan your day to meet your macro goals. I aim to hit my protein goal and fat goal every day. I do that by eating plenty of lean meats and healthy fats. Then, I fill in the day with whatever else - making sure to have plenty of fruits and veggies. If I can make a slice of pizza fit, why not? I'm not suggesting that someone go out and eat a large Pizza Hut pizza every day. But, if you can manage a slice or two along with a spinach salad, why not eat it?
    Okay that makes sense, thats what I thought. I never reach my protein and generally do my fats and carbs (am working on it, it's frustrating when you have only non-meat options) so I'll stash this info away too. Thanks

Sorry for the inability to quote box on here...
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options

why do you feel everyone has to subscribe to your eating philosophy? it's not the only one out there. give it a rest.
  • CoachReddy
    Options

OP, yes that number sounds reasonable. I get that it seems dramatically higher than what you're used to... but I'm assuming you're changing things up for a reason? Probably because something about your current approach isn't working?

As for eating more... eat whatever you want. If you want "clean" "whole" foods, fine. If you want pizza and burgers and ice cream, fine. If you want TV dinners, fine. Just hit that number and go from there. Weight loss happens regardless of the "quality" of your foods. If you have other health concerns, then let those dictate WHAT you eat. Weight loss should dictate HOW MUCH you eat.

truth
  • LoraF83
    Options

why do you feel everyone has to subscribe to your eating philosophy? it's not the only one out there. give it a rest.

I'm sorry, but someone specifically asked and I answered. Should I have cleared that with you first?

I never said that IIFYM was the only philosophy. I simply explained it.
  • abnerner
    Options

turned into a pizza thread didn't it? lol :) Thanks for your advice.

I typically try to eat pretty healthy and not get to much "bad" stuff in. but I am not a clean eater by any means! I try to use reduced fat/sodium products when possible and cook mostly at home. Working on lowering carbs at this point too and trying to get more protein. I do think that maybe I have just been eating too little and that's why I stalled
  • CoachReddy
    Options

turned into a pizza thread didn't it? lol :) Thanks for your advice.

I typically try to eat pretty healthy and not get to much "bad" stuff in. but I am not a clean eater by any means! I try to use reduced fat/sodium products when possible and cook mostly at home. Working on lowering carbs at this point too and trying to get more protein. I do think that maybe I have just been eating too little and that's why I stalled

how much had you been eating?
  • abnerner
    Options

how much had you been eating?

I go by what MFP gives, I'm at 1410 right now and eat back my exercise calories so typically aroudn 1600-1700 a day. I went up to 1700 for a little while but still didn't see any loss to went back down to 1410.
  • ghsfitnesspal
    Options
    Sorry OP, that was my fault - I hope you get the answers that'll help!