• postrockandcats
    postrockandcats Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    I had over 2000 yesterday! My TDEE is over 2500 most days :D
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options

how much had you been eating?

I go by what MFP gives, I'm at 1410 right now and eat back my exercise calories so typically aroudn 1600-1700 a day. I went up to 1700 for a little while but still didn't see any loss to went back down to 1410.

how long is a little while? any change in dietary habits will take an adjustment period. but an adjustment period is much better than a plateau
  • gottogetinshape
    gottogetinshape Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    If you are looking to add healthy calories good choices are avocado, roasted nuts, and peanut butter. All of these in moderation provide good sources of healthy fats, fiber, and protein.

I was led to believe that roasted nuts are bad and raw nuts have the good fats. Is that wrong? Hmm...
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    Also, if you are upping your calories. Check out this post. It will help with transitioning.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/521728-upping-cals-what-to-expect-why-you-need-patience?hl=upping+calories+what+to+expect
  • Hi! Just wanted to weigh in (no cheesy pun intended). A few years ago, I lost weight with a very active lifestyle and about 1800-2100 calories a day. I think we do need to feed our bodies to match our lifestyles and if you are very active (as it sounds like you are), you may need to consider beefing up your healthy calories...add in an extra snack like apple and almonds or put some extra avocado on your salads, etc. You might actually see an improvement in your rate of weight loss. I find that myfitnesspal sets calories targets quite low...I actually quit logging my exercise on this site, went and searched a variety of calorie calculator sites to find the number they recommend for me and my lifestyle, then took an average and custom set my MFP calorie goals. Just make sure you're honest with yourself and if your activity level drops, your calorie intake should drop a little bit too. Hope this helps!
  • clareabow
    clareabow Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Isw that right ?? Using the TDEE method on the days you excercise you dont eat the burned calories back ?? i dodnt realise this ! ooops ive been trying to eat mine back and struggled !! Im on 1500 cals a day, so you say i should stick to this even when i excercise ? HELP !
  • Mine set to a 20% fat reduction says I need to eat 2289.... current weight is 198.6, I am 5'6".... work out 5 - 6 hours a week (running, zumba, and some toning).....

If this is possible why does MFP have me set at 1520 (of course adding back cals when I workout but still dont' think I get to 2200)...

I'm so confused.. is this why my weight lose is soooo slow... after doing 30Day Shred consistently 30 Days straight... only lost 2.6lbs and 5.25 inches... after C25K lost 5lbs and 6.25 inches... and I knwo that is good don't get me wrong but when you still have 50ish lbs to lose and inches to lose too you would think it would come off with all the working out I've been doing????
  • Mine set to a 20% fat reduction says I need to eat 2289.... current weight is 198.6, I am 5'6".... work out 5 - 6 hours a week (running, zumba, and some toning).....

If this is possible why does MFP have me set at 1520 (of course adding back cals when I workout but still dont' think I get to 2200)...

I'm so confused.. is this why my weight lose is soooo slow... after doing 30Day Shred consistently 30 Days straight... only lost 2.6lbs and 5.25 inches... after C25K lost 5lbs and 6.25 inches... and I knwo that is good don't get me wrong but when you still have 50ish lbs to lose and inches to lose too you would think it would come off with all the working out I've been doing????

Wow I'm having trouble learning how to reply on these message boards! I wanted to reply to this comment. Hopefully that is now what I'm doing....sorry for the multiple posts!

Hi! Just wanted to weigh in (no cheesy pun intended). A few years ago, I lost weight with a very active lifestyle and about 1800-2100 calories a day. I think we do need to feed our bodies to match our lifestyles and if you are very active (as it sounds like you are), you may need to consider beefing up your healthy calories...add in an extra snack like apple and almonds or put some extra avocado on your salads, etc. You might actually see an improvement in your rate of weight loss. I find that myfitnesspal sets calories targets quite low...I actually quit logging my exercise on this site, went and searched a variety of calorie calculator sites to find the number they recommend for me and my lifestyle, then took an average and custom set my MFP calorie goals. Just make sure you're honest with yourself and if your activity level drops, your calorie intake should drop a little bit too. Hope this helps!
  • just_fur_luck
    just_fur_luck Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Hey Coach!

I think it's awesome how you agreed with this Jackson dude, here:
    *sigh* so much poor advice in this thread.

OP, yes that number sounds reasonable. I get that it seems dramatically higher than what you're used to... but I'm assuming you're changing things up for a reason? Probably because something about your current approach isn't working?

As for eating more... eat whatever you want. If you want "clean" "whole" foods, fine. If you want pizza and burgers and ice cream, fine. If you want TV dinners, fine. Just hit that number and go from there. Weight loss happens regardless of the "quality" of your foods. If you have other health concerns, then let those dictate WHAT you eat. Weight loss should dictate HOW MUCH you eat.

truth

And then totally put the smack down on this broad when she had the audacity to say almost the exact same freakin thing here:
    There's nothing wrong with pizza.

Pizza has carbs (good for energy), protein and fats (in the cheese) which are good for muscles and organ function. A couple of slices of restaurant pizza will not ruin you.

IIFYM - If it fits in your macros

This means that you plan your day to meet your macro goals. I aim to hit my protein goal and fat goal every day. I do that by eating plenty of lean meats and healthy fats. Then, I fill in the day with whatever else - making sure to have plenty of fruits and veggies. If I can make a slice of pizza fit, why not? I'm not suggesting that someone go out and eat a large Pizza Hut pizza every day. But, if you can manage a slice or two along with a spinach salad, why not eat it?

why do you feel everyone has to subscribe to your eating philosophy? it's not the only one out there. give it a rest.

I can dig your whole "women should only have the opinions men allow them to have and only when men say it first" attitude. Unless you're just hitting on that dude. Which I guess is fine but you're being a little too subtle. Just ask him out already! Go for it!
  • evdenapoli
    evdenapoli Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Is that 2050 to maintain your present weight? If so you need to reduce it by about 500 to lose 1 pound a week. That sounds about right to me. I am 5'4" and weigh 223. I am consuming 1300 average per day and still losing. I may reduce the daily intake at the end of the week after a visit to my dietitian.

Please don't do that.

1300 is already very low. You seriously don't want to go lower or you could end up damanging your metabolism.

Read this:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/952996-level-obstacles-lose-weight-target-fat-easy

This is true. In the begining, I trusted MFP and was on 1200 cals/day. I lost some in the begining, then I came to a big stall. 3 months with no change. It was very frustrating.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Quote:If you are looking to add healthy calories good choices are avocado, roasted nuts, and peanut butter. All of these in moderation provide good sources of healthy fats, fiber, and protein.

I said about a cheesy pizza slice as a joke, but having said it, I'm now wondering why a decent pizza (homemade so you know what's in and on it) is 'bad' compared to peanut butter? Flour, butter, milk, cheese, tomatoes, vegetables on top seems pretty sensible to me.

Is cheese a bad fat and peanut and avocado good fats?

Not trolling, just curious! The person who said flat out 'no' wasn't very helpful and this is a good information source!

Pizza has carbs (good for energy), protein and fats (in the cheese) which are good for muscles and organ function. A couple of slices of restaurant pizza will not ruin you.

This means that you plan your day to meet your macro goals. I aim to hit my protein goal and fat goal every day. I do that by eating plenty of lean meats and healthy fats. Then, I fill in the day with whatever else - making sure to have plenty of fruits and veggies. If I can make a slice of pizza fit, why not? I'm not suggesting that someone go out and eat a large Pizza Hut pizza every day. But, if you can manage a slice or two along with a spinach salad, why not eat it?

CloseEnough_zpsfa81ed12.jpg
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Quote:If you are looking to add healthy calories good choices are avocado, roasted nuts, and peanut butter. All of these in moderation provide good sources of healthy fats, fiber, and protein.

I said about a cheesy pizza slice as a joke, but having said it, I'm now wondering why a decent pizza (homemade so you know what's in and on it) is 'bad' compared to peanut butter? Flour, butter, milk, cheese, tomatoes, vegetables on top seems pretty sensible to me.

Not trolling, just curious! The person who said flat out 'no' wasn't very helpful and this is a good information source!

why do you feel everyone has to subscribe to your eating philosophy? it's not the only one out there. give it a rest.

Neither is yours :flowerforyou:

WheresMyPopTart_zps36718452.png

I'm going to on the east side all next week, want to get some coffee? :drinker:

ETA: Specifically staying on 5th Ave near Central park south.
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options

You said it as a joke, but people will take it seriously. That's why I just said "NO". I shot down a joke and you find it unhelpful? :sigh:

Do you want to lose number or get healthy? Lose weight or lose fat? Those are the real questions. Sure you can make microwave dinners and pizza fit your macros, but will that be the best way to fuel your life, workouts, and health? No.
    Eat natural and unprocessed foods. Healthy fats, complex carbohydrates, and plenty of protein. How many threads do you see where people reach their "goal weight" but aren't happy with their body?
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options

You said it as a joke, but people will take it seriously. That's why I just said "NO". I shot down a joke and you find it unhelpful? :sigh:

Do you want to lose number or get healthy? Lose weight or lose fat? Those are the real questions. Sure you can make microwave dinners and pizza fit your macros, but will that be the best way to fuel your life, workouts, and health? No.
    Eat natural and unprocessed foods. Healthy fats, complex carbohydrates, and plenty of protein. How many threads do you see where people reach their "goal weight" but aren't happy with their body?

That's because of their workouts, not their diet/foods.
  • jenns1964
    jenns1964 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I say eat the 2050 and enjoy!! It will work.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I'm 154 pounds and average about 2000 a day while losing weight.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options

Most people are unhappy with their goal weight bodies because they didn't exercise properly.

Cut calories to lose weight. Exercise (specifically lift weights) to look good nekkid.

Once again, I'm not suggesting that someone gorge themselves on pizza all day every day. I'm saying that you can make a slice or two fit in a healthy diet. That's all. No need to demonize food - just make good choices most of the time and then if you want a slice now and then, it's no big deal.
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options

That's because of their workouts, not their diet/foods.

Exercise definitely plays a key role, I won't deny that for a sec. I'd love to talk to everyone about lifting. But for the sake of this thread I'll keep it on diet. Diet also plays a role. You eat at an extreme calorie deficit, you can lose a good amount LBM. Then you reach your goal weight and still have a high body fat percentage.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

every time i see that thread it's because those people we're doing strength training and they weren't happy with the lack of visible muscle tone on their body once they reached goal weight. it certainly wasn't because of how much pizza they consumed to reach that weight.

perhaps we're reading different threads?