is there such thing as a TASTY low calorie beer?

Options

Replies

• sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    I'm a bit of a beer snob. When I drink a beer, I want it to taste really, really, good. As such, very rarely touch light beers. That being said, the one light beer I kind of like is Sam Adams Light. 119 calories. Not my first choice for beer, but it tastes pretty good.

Upgrade to a Sam Pale ale for only 30 more calories. Sam Light's not worth it.

But a good Light option is Guiness Draught Bottle .. only 9 more calories than the Sam Light.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    I prefer Guinness for a light beer. Sam Light isn't horrifying though.

Personally I'd rather drink half as much good beer and call it a day. Or work for my calories. Light beer just isn't worth it.
  • aaronlawrenc
    aaronlawrenc Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    Actually there is!!:happy: I really like Becks light:happy: :happy: If it's iced cold... you'll really enjoy it... goes down smooth!!:tongue:

thats a lot of smileys
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    No...if I'm drinking beer, it's going to be good beer. Good beer is awesome...watered down, low calorie, low alcohol beer is the devil.

I don't drink as much beer as I used to...more wine these days, and definitely more booze. I drink a lot of vodka and soda with some lime. Every once in awhile though, I have to have my suds...and most definitely when I'm camping, I'm drinking beer...calories be damned. I'll work 'em off anyways when I'm fishing.
  • jsickman12
    jsickman12 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    If you are going to go on a rampage, a twelve pack of mgd 64 is only 768 calories and you will get you a good buzz.
  • alittlecloser_
    Options
    hahaha thanks for everyone's opinion! I am a little apprehensive on drinking low cal beers- i'm a bit of a beer snob myself and looooooooove home brewed stuff. We have a brewery in the city I live in and I live for the framboise brew (sooooo good.)

I'll try a couple of the suggestions, but if i'm not satisfied I'll just work out a little harder or go out for an extra walk or something along those lines. I'll just repeat to myself, "For the fromboise!" haha
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I'm going to agree with the people recommending the full calorie- better tasting beers. Yes some of them have a LOT of calories but it's like any other low calorie options- you will probably end up drinking more calories BECAUSE you're drinking light beers rather than enjoying one or two full calorie beers.

Really if you want to drink light, I recommend vodka soda with fruit or something similar.

Unless the only reason one drinks beer is for the buzz and taste is irrelevant, why would one drink more of something they enjoy less? If the buzz is the only thing that matters, drink straight vodka.
  • KilikiMom
    KilikiMom Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    no...beer is gross....
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    This whole thread is making me cry.

ok 6 light beers at 60 calories = 360
    2 craft beers at 150 - 200 calories (I'll go on the high end) = 400 calories

That's only a 40 calorie difference. Its just not worth it people.

BUT, if you want to drink 6 beers, the difference is 540 calories using your low end for craft. Whether it's worth it is personal opinion.

If I drank 6 craft beers, I'd be on the floor.
  • Tourney3p0
    Tourney3p0 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Try some of the sorghum-based stuff. Sprecher for example has one called Shakparo that is very flavorful and only 100 calories. There are a few others that can be had if Sprecher is not in your neighborhood.

Notice that I only said that it's flavorful though, not that you will like the flavor. You might not. But it's not going to be one of those watered-down tasteless "Lite" beers.
  • olDave
    olDave Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Taste is simply personal preference. You'll just have to hunt around and find one that YOU like.

Good luck.
  • Pattyo57
    Pattyo57 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I like Becks Light too!
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    The whole reason I even got into Craft Beer was because when I became more healthy I realized I couldn't get away with drinking a "beer" regularly. So, I decided that when I DO drink beer, it's going to be something different, something creative, and most of all something good.

Drink better beer, less often.
  • plzlbsbegone
    Options
    I for one, don't like heavy beers at all. I prefer the super lights! I like Bud Select 55
  • lindsyrox
    lindsyrox Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    This is stupid, here's how it breaks down since the point of drinking beer is to get a nice buzz and hopefully enjoy the flavor...

drink 6 (OR MORE!) light beers at 100ish cals a piece (and MAYBE 4% alcohol), spend the next hour or two peeing every 20 mins and maybe get a buzz if you can chug those bubble *kitten* fast enough without belching like a drunken sailor (except you wont be drunk).

OR drink 2-3 awesome high proof micro brews at 250 ish cals a piece and if you're lucky 7-8% alcohol, you don't belch, you don't pee every 20 mins, and you can actually get a nice buzz going, OH and you don't have to chug them! You can actually enjoy them leisurely.

the calories work out about the same as does the alcohol consumption but you actually get some GOOD tasting beers and a buzz w/o the pee and bubbly burps if you stick with high quality delicious beer.

Screw light!
  • gilmoredl
    gilmoredl Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Neither corn nor rice should ever be used in brewing. They are used because they are cheaper than malt and have the ability to produce a similar amount of alcohol but it sacrifices the taste. Then there is the whole watering down part of it (yes, this really happens.) That just makes it even worse. Since brewing is truly a craft and a passion, most brewers don't want to kill their babies by screwing with them like that. If you want to drink beer then drink real beer crafted by a brewery instead of a beer factory. I'm not sure about other cities but there was a run started here in Birmingham, AL last year that stopped at each of our breweries.

Beer brings people together. Drink good beer, if you just want to take the edge off and save calories then grab a shot of whiskey. Never sacrifice taste.
  • Tourney3p0
    Tourney3p0 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    This is stupid, here's how it breaks down since the point of drinking beer is to get a nice buzz and hopefully enjoy the flavor...

The person asked for tasty beer. This is something that someone who drinks terrible beer would say.

Some people like the flavor regardless of the buzz and consider it an added bonus, if anything. What if you only want to have one while out at dinner and have no desire at all to catch a buzz, for example. For those people, how it's broken down is quite different.
  • lindsyrox
    lindsyrox Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Oh on the same note I do drink coors light when we're offroading/4wheeling (I don't drive). Why you might ask do I drink nasty coors light? Because I DON'T want to get drunk. Yup I drink coors when I'm being a social drinker and DON'T want to get drunk (or even really buzzed...)...

So yeah, I suppose if you don't want to feel your beer (or you enjoy the taste of piss), go for light, otherwise buck up and drink something worth while :)
  • gilmoredl
    gilmoredl Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    That opinion is common and understandable. Macro breweries have worked to make people believe that their beer is what beer tastes like. They're wrong. Not all beer is created equally. There's a beer out there for everyone, you just have to find it.
  • lyndabyh
    lyndabyh Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I prefer craft beer but Cracked Canoe is not bad , has lots of flavour 90 cals each.