Crock Pot Recipes MINUS the canned cream soups...

Options
niekkosgirl
niekkosgirl Posts: 60 Member
Can you guys help me with recipes that do not include cream soups? Don't get me wrong, I love them and they make things easier and faster, BUT my kids can't eat them.

Sooooooooooo... any recipes for one pot meals in the crock pot that do not include cream soups?

(I know there are a lot of chicken breast and salsa-sh recipes on here for crock pots, so we're covered there because I can get them off another thread.)

Thanks in advance!
:)

Replies

• mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    I like to make butter chicken sauce in the crock pot. It is a Canadian Living recipe and it has peanut butter or almond butter in it which adds protein to the sauce and tastes amazing!
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    What is the reason your kids can't eat them? Celiac or some other food allergy?
  • sgv0918
    sgv0918 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    go for some of those crock pot seasoning packets at the store instead. I love them and the calories are like 15 per packet
  • sgv0918
    sgv0918 Posts: 851 Member
    Options

not sure she needs to disclose reasons to get advice
  • chellec23
    chellec23 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I posted 2 great and healthy recipes in my blog - http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/chellec23
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    One of my favorites from skinnytaste.com

Crock Pot Santa Fe Chicken

Servings: 8 servings • Size: 1 cup • Old Points: 3 pts • Points+: 4 pts
    Calories: 190 • Fat: 1.5 g • Fiber: 5.6 g • Carbs: 23.1 g • Protein: 21 g

Ingredients:
    24 oz (1 1/2) lbs chicken breast
    14.4 oz can diced tomatoes with mild green chilies
    15 oz can black beans
    8 oz frozen corn
    1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
    14.4 oz can fat free chicken broth
    3 scallions, chopped
    1 tsp garlic powder
    1 tsp onion powder
    1 tsp cumin
    1 tsp cayenne pepper (to taste)
    salt to taste

Directions:
    Combine chicken broth, beans, corn, tomatoes, cilantro, scallions, garlic powder, onion powder, cumin, cayenne pepper and salt in the crock pot. Season chicken breast with salt and lay on top.

Cook on low for 10 hours or on high for 6 hours. Half hour before serving, remove chicken and shred. Return chicken to slow cooker and stir in. Adjust salt and seasoning to taste. Serve over rice or tortillas and your favorite toppings.
  • Gordo1981
    Gordo1981 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    we have a few,

personal favorite is
    Stewing beef (don't bother browning it)
    Couple of onions,
    Carrots
    Celery
    a potato or two
    a sweet potato
    maybe a little garlic if you want
    beef bullion
    add a little water until it covers about half of the veggies up to 2/3rds
    I add montreal steak spice (but black pepper works too)
    then some oregano and basil.
    Cook on low for 6-8 hours or high for 4-6

mmmm beef stew/soup
  • n_unocero
    n_unocero Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    chicken and BBQ sauce for shredded chicken sandwiches
  • sophiek1964
    sophiek1964 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I don't have exact measurements but this is very easy for beef stew and a family favorite at my house.

Stewing Beef
    Carrots, celery, onions, potatoes
    1 package onion soup mix
    1 package gravy mix
    1 small can beef broth
    salt and pepper to taste at the end.

Just toss it all in, and cook for the workday on low until beef is very tender. You can do the exact same thing with a pot roast too.
  • bonjojo
    bonjojo Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Dump a can of crushed pineapple in the crock pot (with juice), set a ham on it, and cook for 4 hours or so. My mother-in-law told me about that one. And I think I saw it on allrecipes.com.
  • IrishChik
    IrishChik Posts: 464 Member
    Options

Exactly.

What people don't realize is that a lot of people want whole food that is not processed. Canned foods is processed, not to mention the cream based ones are loaded with sodium and sugar.

I prefer to make my own cream based soups that are low carb, free from nitrates, free from sugars and msg.

Everyone has their own reasons why they do what they do. We don't always need to know why.
  • So_Much_Fab
    So_Much_Fab Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    I just made some pork loin this past weekend...super easy.

5# pork loin
    ~ 1/2 to 3/4 cup dry rub spices of your choice
    2 large onions

Cut onions
    Cover pork with dry rub
    Put a layer of onions on bottom of crock pot
    Add pork
    Add remaining onions on top of pork

NO WATER!

Cook on high for ~ 5 hours. The pork literally falls apart. Yummy!
  • capnrus789
    capnrus789 Posts: 2,736 Member
    Options
    1 pork shoulder, 2-3 lbs
    1/2 bottle of Goya Mojo Marinde
    8 hours

Deliciousness.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options

Sheesh...of course she doesn't have to disclose anything, but more information is always helpful when someone needs advice. She said she liked recipes with canned cream soups, but had children that could not eat the soup.

From her original post:
    Don't get me wrong, I love them and they make things easier and faster, BUT my kids can't eat them.
    Knowing the reason they can't eat a certain product would help other MFP members make recommendations for this woman.

For example, my family has MANY members who have celiac disease. They can't eat any Campbell's 'Cream of... Whatever' condensed soups because they are all made with wheat products. But, Pacific Naturals makes a line of organic, gluten-free condensed 'Cream of' soups that my mom loves to use in crockpot and casserole recipes.

Some days I just hate the reactionary climate of the forums...
  • HotAshMess
    HotAshMess Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    http://www.emilybites.com/2012/07/slow-cooker-buffalo-chicken.html Tried these last night. Only....I used regular hot sauce instead of wing sauce....we bit of a bite. Do not reccommend.

http://skinnyms.com/slow-cooker-hot-chocolate-steel-cut-oatmeal/ Love these.
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    Barbecue Sauce Meatballs!

I made these last night, and they were fan-fricking-tastic!

1 lb ground beef
    1/2 chopped onion (small, small pieces. I recommend a Slap Chop or a blender)
    1/2 C bread crumbs
    1/4 C milk
    1 egg
    salt
    pepper

Mix everything, roll into golf ball sized balls. (Makes about 20) Bake at 400 for 12-15 min, then put in the bottom of a crock pot, pour enough barbecue sauce over to just cover them, (I used my husband's homemade bourbon barbecue sauce) and simmer on low for about 4 hrs. BAM. I served them over rice, but would also be awesome on a hoagie roll.
  • daisiemae123
    daisiemae123 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I don't use canned "cream of" soups for recipes because I don't like the ingredient list on the can. I found this recipe to make my own (it is really easy) freeze it, and use in place of the cans in recipes. They even include a substitute list for ingredients to accommodate food allergies and dietary choices.

http://onceamonthmom.com/homemade-cream-of-something-soup/
  • JillianPMehlhaff
    JillianPMehlhaff Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    There is a cookbook called The Italian Slow Cooker by Michele Scicolone. I just bought it and none of the recipes call for canned cream soups. All of them use fresh ingredients and have been pretty good so far. My favorite thus far is the stuffed artichoke recipe. It goes something like this:

Take 3-4 fresh artichokes, cut off the stems, and put them in a bowl of cold water with lemon juice. Trim the artichokes. Take a knife and hollow out the choke, getting all the fuzzies out. Put the artichokes in the lemon water. Mix 1c regular bread crumbs, 1/4 c fresh chopped parsely, 4 tbsp fresh grated Pecorino Romano cheese, 1 fresh chopped garlic clove and then peel and finely chop the artichoke stems. Mix that with 2 tbsp of olive oil. Put the filling in the center of the artichokes and between the leaves (not too heavily) and place the artichokes in the crock pot for 3-4 hours on high in 1 inch of water.

This makes the perfect artichoke. It is tender and absolutely delicious and I can eat one for a meal, although it is a side. Artichokes are low calorie, and since you don't actually eat much of the stuffing (at least I didn't), it doesn't add much to the count.

She has recipes for chicken, beef, pork, lamb, seafood, pasta, sides, and even desserts in her book. You might check it out if you have a chance. Our local cheese shop's owner loves the book so much that she bases an entire cooking class on it!