Crock Pot Recipes MINUS the canned cream soups...

Options

Replies

• CupcakeCrusoe
    CupcakeCrusoe Posts: 1,382 Member
    Options
    Bumping for later--- that buffalo chicken crock pot recipe sounds amazing!
  • cmart69
    cmart69 Posts: 15
    Options
    http://www.food.com/recipe/to-die-for-crock-pot-roast-27208?layout=desktop
    I don't use as much of the powdered ranch that the recipe calls for.

http://www.food.com/recipe/crock-pot-whole-chicken-33671?ic1=obinsite
    You could really use whatever spices you want. Also, my family doesn't like onions, so I prop the chicken up off the bottom of the crockpot using aluminum foil rolled into little balls. You could also use potatoes as the propping mechanism.

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2007/07/crock-pot-recipes.html
    There's several here that we've tried. Not sure what your specific tastes are.
  • shadiel
    shadiel Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • jelk8881
    jelk8881 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I do chicken alfredo in the crock pot with lots of veggies. Pulled pork, pot roast, A1 pot roast. I heard you can do ribs in them. You can do a pulled chicken with bbq sauce.
  • bethlaf
    bethlaf Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    2lbs whole carrots cut washed - i dont peel them
    3 LARGE onions chopped
    bag lentils
    2 large tomatoes or can tomato sauce
    6-8 meatballs or 1lb ground italian style flavored turkey
    1lb bag corn
    4c water
    6-10 leaves fresh basil or 1TBSP pesto or 1tsp dried basil
    crock pot on low all day
    add pepper salt garlic and frozen peas to it when you get home, turn it off, and serve, VERY healthy , extremely low cal "almost "vegetarian soup"
  • ncahill77
    ncahill77 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    You can put anything in there to cook but if you are talking about a liquid to actual simmer in beer is actually excellent as is coke.
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    I made a DELISH crock pot chili last night that made my entire house smell incredible when I got home. No cream of anything, just legit ingredients:

1 lb ground whatever-meat-you-like (I used extra lean ground beef, also tasty with turkey)
    1 medium yellow onion (chopped)
    4-5 cloves garlic (minced)
    1 14 oz can diced tomatoes (don't strain out the juice)
    1 can tomato paste (the little cans, can't remember exactly how many ounces but it's the small can)
    1 bell pepper (chopped)--I used 1/2 a yellow and 1/2 an orange one. Use whatever kind you like/have on hand
    3-4 tbsp chili powder
    2 tsp dry oregano
    1-2 tsp ground cumin
    1/4 c chopped fresh cilantro (give or take---I kinda eyeballed that one, I love cilantro)

You can add salt and pepper if you want, or really any other seasoning that you like more of in your chili. You can also add beans of your choice if you'd like, I don't eat them personally, but if you add them don't drain those either, you'll need a little extra juice. Stick it all in the crock pot on low (I usually switch it from the low setting just to "warm" as soon as I get home) and enjoy!

Another good, easy recipe I make a lot is just 3 chicken breasts in the crock pot with a large jar of salsa poured in there, whatever kind you like, just dump the whole thing in, plus a packet of whatever taco seasoning you like, fill your salsa jar with water (so it's still a little salsa-y) and pour just enough water in there to make sure the chicken is pretty much covered, set on low all day, and the chicken shreds with a fork when it's done. You can use it as taco filling, put some avocado on top, or just eat it by itself like my son does. SO good and easy!
  • thecanface
    thecanface Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options
    What is the reason your kids can't eat them? Celiac or some other food allergy?

why does it matter?
  • thecanface
    thecanface Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options
    honestly, my favorite is simply chicken. i know it's more fattening, but if you season the leg quarters up with a yummy chicken rub and leave it there for 8 hours, it's suuuuuper juicy and falls apart. then just make a really quick stir fry of veggies, or steam some broccoli really quick. all donsies.
  • averytds
    averytds Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I've got ham steaks and green beans in my crockpot today. Three ingredients if you count/add water. You can throw in onions, peppers, potatoes, etc. too.

My family also loves ground sausage and sliced cabbage. Like a bierock sans the bread. Can be served over toast, on a bun....

A whole chicken, same as above poster.

Guess I would say 80% of the time I've just got some kind of meat and veggies in there with seasoning if I think it needs it.
  • rachelklewis3
    rachelklewis3 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I use my crock pot a lot- but I don't really follow recipes too much. Right now I have split chicken breasts that I rubbed with Italian dressing in there with chunks of russet potatoes, onion and carrots. I seasoned the vegetables with Italian seasoning, a little salt and pepper and added just enough water to cover. Cook on low 7-8 hours. Very kid friendly :) A suggestion I have for the cream soup dilemma is to just try substituting vegetable or chicken stock for the cream soup. Veggie stock is easy to make and saves a lot of money.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    What is the reason your kids can't eat them? Celiac or some other food allergy?

why does it matter?

Because if her children have an allergy or an ingredient sensitivity, there are alternate 'Cream of' soups on the market that can be used in recipes. As I mentioned earlier, Pacific Naturals makes a great line of condensed, creamy soups that are gluten free and suitable for people with wheat allergies/sensitivities.

The original poster said she LIKED recipes made with condensed soup. I was trying to help her find alternative versions of the soup that her children might be able to eat.

That's why it matters. :flowerforyou:
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
  • VpinkLotus
    VpinkLotus Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    Bump. Really interested too... :bigsmile:
  • BrandiBoo84
    BrandiBoo84 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    www.skinnytaste.com Has some fantastic crock pot recipes that are clean, non processed delish meals!
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    http://www.skinnytaste.com/2011/10/crock-pot-asian-pork-with-mushrooms.html

made this one last night - big hit with the family!
  • pawheeler1
    pawheeler1 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    bump
  • sdbart
    sdbart Posts: 189 Member
    Options
  • agbaeb
    agbaeb Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    bump :)
  • FinallyFindingLisa
    FinallyFindingLisa Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I have a vegetable lasagna in for tonight.

1-1/2 c of mozz
    1/2 c of riccotta
    1/3 c of parmesean
    1 egg, slightly beaten
    1 tsp of oregano
    1/4 t of garlic powder
    1/2 cup of low sodium marinade (or your own spaghetti sauce)
    4 no boil lasagna noodles
    2 medium zuchhini sliced
    8 oz of sliced mushrooms
    7 ounces fresh baby spinach

In a bowl combine the cheeses, egg, garlic & oregano. In the crock pot put down 2 T of sauce, 1/2 the zucchini, , 1/3 of the cheese mixture, 2 of the noodles, broken to fit pan, 2 T of sauce 1/2 of the spinach & 1/2 the mushrooms, repeat layers ending with the cheese (or toss it in there however you like)

Cook on medium 8 hours

I put this in the recipe calculator today using reduced fat cheeses and more sauce than the recipe called for and get 4 HUGE servings and got a bit over 300 calories.

Oh - i"ve made the skinny taste pork with mushrooms too and it was a HUGE hit with our family too.