Guys please explain..

Options

Replies

• Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options
    You cannot reduce the male psyche to a set of stereotypical behaviors.
    QFT. I'm not saying the OP is guilty of this particular behavior, but very often when I see questions like this, the underlying thought process is one of "My gender (or gender identity) is nuanced, complex, and to individualized to be boiled down to a pat answer. The other gender, on the other hand, is EASY to understand because they're just silly [insert term for male or female child]."

I understand that there will be no "pat" answer.
    I wasn't looking for one.
    Just feedback- which I'm getting plenty of.
    So, your answer is that men are complex and women are...
    My answer had nothing in it differentiating the complexity of one gender over another. What about it makes you believe otherwise?

Can you give me an example?
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    QFT. I'm not saying the OP is guilty of this particular behavior, but very often when I see questions like this, the underlying thought process is one of "My gender (or gender identity) is nuanced, complex, and to individualized to be boiled down to a pat answer. The other gender, on the other hand, is EASY to understand because they're just silly [insert term for male or female child]."

My answer had nothing in it differentiating the complexity of one gender over another. What about it makes you believe otherwise?

I do not know what example would be useful to you. My initial response did not specify a gender bias because I didn't apply it to either gender or gender identity. Your (apparent) reading of it was that I was saying something specific about men, and by implication, something about women. I do not know what "example" would illustrate this point for you that is not merely a retread of the original response I gave you.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Men and women aren't different (minus the physical parts of course). Trying to sum up people based on general things like gender, race, hair color, preferences, etc is sad. People are individuals and regardless of what you are trying to judge them on, are their own person. Which means they don't all act the same.

When you generalize, you limit who that person is and can be to you. Why not look at someone as a person, rather than a statistic.
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    I really saw the bro-code when my son played High School football. Even after he graduated, with those guys it still exist. It was actually quite cool. I really respected them for it. Of course, I am sure it is different as men grow older. But, its a good thing. Men sometimes need to be with men without women and women need to be with women without men. At least it works for me.:smile:

1) video camera
    2) website
    3) profit

finally a valid underpants gnomes business plan!
  • csuhar
    csuhar Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    So, why do little guys pick on big guys if they know the big guy can whip their butt?

Nobody said guys were logical.

Sometimes, I'd say it could be a case of testing a new person, regardless of if he's bigger or not. Other times, it's a case of mis-reading the target.

Despite my size, I tend to be quiet. I don't see a point in bothering people needlesly. I know I'm big. I know I'm smart. I know I can take care of myself. So why make a fuss about it? What do I need to prove? Some misinterpreted that as a sign I was a pushover. To their detriment, they pushed the limit (probably trying to say "hey look, I can push this bigger dog around") and found out that 1) it's simply a matter of taking a lot to make me snap and 2) when I do snap, I snap HARD.
  • Mustang_Susie
    Options

I do not know what example would be useful to you. My initial response did not specify a gender bias because I didn't apply it to either gender or gender identity. Your (apparent) reading of it was that I was saying something specific about men, and by implication, something about women. I do not know what "example" would illustrate this point for you that is not merely a retread of the original response I gave you.

I am sorry, I misread your response.
  • Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    I have no clue what OP is asking
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    I have no clue what OP is asking

3 pages in and no one does...
  • Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    :laugh:
  • Mustang_Susie
    Options
    Men and women aren't different (minus the physical parts of course). Trying to sum up people based on general things like gender, race, hair color, preferences, etc is sad. People are individuals and regardless of what you are trying to judge them on, are their own person. Which means they don't all act the same.

When you generalize, you limit who that person is and can be to you. Why not look at someone as a person, rather than a statistic.

Men and women are different.
    I'm not generalizing or looking at someone as a "statistic".
  • Rottnme
    Rottnme Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I could tell you but then they are going to have to take my balls so that's not going to happen.
  • joe2626
    joe2626 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I always thought the 'Male Code of Conduct' was to leave a 'one urinal gap' between you and other urinal-users where possible. This thread has turned out to be about something entirely different...
  • homerjspartan
    homerjspartan Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    *****any bros caught violating rule 1 of the bro code will have their bro card revoked immediately - no access to brotein, broscientology, no broceptions***** \m/

^^This^^
    you will be placed on immediate brobation until such time as your broformance can be signed off by your local brosician \m/

my brosician just looked at my broficency reports. no broblem, I'm good to bro.
    well then, let the brodom and broraderie commence, as you are ready for to brodown and leave your hybronation \m/

You guys are a hoot :happy:

I think they sound like a BROken record.

Just kidding.

Brosume the position.
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Z_I_L_L_A Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    The Alpha male thing is with the younger guys. The older guys have nothing to prove anymore.
  • Mustang_Susie
    Options
    The Alpha male thing is with the younger guys. The older guys have nothing to prove anymore.

Interesting
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Z_I_L_L_A Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options

Interesting

Younger guys grow out of it....eventually,lol.
  • Mustang_Susie
    Options

Interesting

Sometimes it doesn't appear that way.
    Or maybe it just becomes more subtle and refined??
  • Tuffjourney
    Tuffjourney Posts: 971
    Options
    I really saw the bro-code when my son played High School football. Even after he graduated, with those guys it still exist. It was actually quite cool. I really respected them for it. Of course, I am sure it is different as men grow older. But, its a good thing. Men sometimes need to be with men without women and women need to be with women without men. At least it works for me.:smile:

1) video camera
    2) website
    3) profit

finally a valid underpants gnomes business plan!

I soooo didnt mean it that way. :noway: :laugh:
  • TravisBikes
    TravisBikes Posts: 674 Member
    Options

Interesting

Sometimes it doesn't appear that way.
    Or maybe it just becomes more subtle and refined??

Some may feel the need to prove they "still got it" maybe. Whatever "it" is.

Maybe understanding what this thread is about?

I don't need to prove anything to any other man at this point in my life, but do want to best what a younger me looked and felt like. Maybe others still feel the drive to be better than someone else.
  • koyangi
    koyangi Posts: 14
    Options

Ah, so even how he loses is important.
    He can lose like a man or a sissy?

So, why do little guys pick on big guys if they know the big guy can whip their butt?

This also answers another of your questions but I am former military and work at a defense contractor so my "enviornment" probably colors my respose somewhat.

It is highly important how you win, even more important than why you are fighting. The argument is really just an excuse to get to the fight in most cases. You want your win to be undisputed and that includes not "cheating". Just look at the UFC. Nobody wants to see a fight go all 3 or 5 rounds. The best fights are over in less than a minute. Guys like "finishers".

Why do little guys stand up to big guys? Easy. They have nothing to lose. I am 5'11" around 250 lbs and have trained quite a bit in the martial arts. If I win a fight, no big surprise everything was stacked my way most of the time. If one of the kids from engineering who is 120 lbs soaking wet knocks me out then he has "manned up" an overcome "insurmountable odds". If I choke him out then I am just "beating up a geek" and he gets sympathy for not backing down. There is really no incentive for him not to fight and every incentive for me to find another solution to the dispute. This is also why I will never arm wrestle a girl.