Is it RUDE to offer your "fat clothes" to a friend?

Options

Replies

• JLHNU212
    JLHNU212 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I LOVE LOVE LOVE the idea of having her come and help you go through your donation clothes that you "dont wear much anymore" and she can decide if she wants to take them. To me, that is not calling me fat, it is me wanting your cute clothes that you dont want anymore because you dont wear them enough! That is why my sister did with her clothes for me and it was not offensive at all and was more like a shopping spree of her cute cltohes! :) Good luck with whatever you decide!!!
  • 4_Lisa
    4_Lisa Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    People are WAY too sensitive these days... I'm not one to beat around the bush. My friends know this, so they don't take my bluntness as a bad thing... LOL. I've come right out and asked my friends what size they wear, they respond and I tell em, well I may have some stuff that would fit you. Never been an issue.
  • stephisneat
    stephisneat Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I don't see anything wrong with it. If you say "Hey I was clearing out my closet and wanted to see if you cared to look through them before I donated them." No where in that sentence does it say "you're larger than me".
  • stephisneat
    stephisneat Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I guess Im just not senstitive. I have a friend who gives me her old clothes and Im like Hell yeah!!!!

Free clothes! Why not??
  • whwalker123
    Options
    What size? Send them my way! :)
  • KAR1959
    KAR1959 Posts: 4,265 Member
    Options
    If you know there's a chance you will offend your friend then don't do it. Just donate the clothes to charity.
  • michellelemorgan
    michellelemorgan Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Bring your friend over to help you "sort your donation clothes". If she is interested then she will ask to take the ones she likes. It is a non-confrontational way to let her choose if she wants them.

I know if it were me I would not want to miss out on those amazing dresses... fat clothes or not. I love the idea of asking her to help you sort through them. Then you could say "if you see anything you want you can have it!"
  • Gizziemoto
    Gizziemoto Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I gave all the dressy ones to a program to assist women trying to get back on their feet look good for job interviews. The rest, I let my in-laws pick through before I donated the rest.

There is nothing wrong with it and if they are a good friend, they appreciate it, mine did and was not insulted because she liked my clothes.. If you feel bad about it, then donate them to a charity. It feels good to help others who need help.
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    EBAY them and buy new new new :bigsmile:
  • bemott
    bemott Posts: 180
    Options
    No way is it rude. I gave all my clothes to a friend and she loves them. Free cute clothes are the best!
  • amytag
    amytag Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I would just offer them! My sister and I are both losing weight, but she started doing it months before me. I was happy to take her too-big clothes off her hands! Now I am handing over my too-big clothes to a friend who had started losing weight, but then found out she was pregnant. Cute clothes for larger ladies are expensive and really hard to find! I don't think you'd be hurting her feelings at all, in fact, you might just inspire her to make these HER too-big clothes soon!
  • bugaha1
    bugaha1 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    No wonder my bro hasn’t text me back in the last two weeks after I offered him my fat cloths. =(
  • Dawnomite
    Dawnomite Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't call them "My FAT clothes." That would be insensitive.
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    SO, I've dropped a couple sizes and now have quite a few clothing items that are just way too big to wear and have look good on me. That being said, these clothes are all super cute and have lots of life left in them. So, do y'all think it's rude if I offer them to a friend who would look really cute in them? What I would think, is that it would all really be in how you word the offer. More of a: hey I've got a couple adorable dresses I don't wear anymore, would you want them INSTEAD OF A These are WAY too big on me...I bet they'd fit you :laugh: Obviously that's not what I'm trying to say. But even if you say it in a completely non- demeaning way - is it still rude?

Just something to add: I've known here since I was about 5, and we've been sharing/borrowing clothes sine about age 13. But I'm worried it's different to actually give her things because they don't fit - not just because I dont want them anymore

depends on what you say. if you were to say hey do you want these clothes they would look super cute on you then great offer them. HOWEVER if you say he do you want these clothes they are too big for me but would look super cute on your then ummm... nope don't bother offering them.

see the difference. it doesn't matter if you've known this person for 100 years we are ALL SENSITIVE about our size/weight.

i recently had the "pleasure" of shopping with a friend who is smaller than me. she kept on showing me tops that were too large for me saying this would be super cute on you. i KNOW she was not being mean or hurtful but it did hurt because i'm trying real hard to loose the weight so to have her pull out a size that i no longer wear hurt me plain and simple. yes i said something to her.
  • cindylu35
    cindylu35 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Bring your friend over to help you "sort your donation clothes". If she is interested then she will ask to take the ones she likes. It is a non-confrontational way to let her choose if she wants them.

BEST ANSWER AWARD!!!!
  • ObtainingBalance
    ObtainingBalance Posts: 1,446 Member
    Options

Good idea there.
  • AIZZO4
    AIZZO4 Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    lol Yeah as long as you don't all it "fat clothes" I see nothing wrong with it.
  • moliva4
    moliva4 Posts: 29
    Options
    My sister-in-law gave me her "fat clothes" when she lost a lot of weight. I wasn't offended. It depends on the relationship you have with the person. If it's a close relationship - there should be no worry of offending. In fact we were saying we'd swap because I have my "skinny clothes" still (gained a bunch of weight in the last 5 years that I'm only now attempting to get rid of). I think only you'd know the relationship you have with this person and whether or not they'd be offended.
  • egwene1977
    Options
    I don't think it's rude at all. I gave mine to my neighbor, and she LOVES them. We know what size we are, and if you tell them they can keep them until they no longer need them, it's like paying it forward :)
  • socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    I laughed at the topic of this thread because in March I called my twin sister who lives in New Jersey and asked her if I could have her "fat clothes" since she has lost so much weight!!! She told me she already gave them away, so I said maybe I should just lose some weight! Her reply was "Good idea" then I started the exercise and tracking on April 1

Love this comment. Good for you and your sister.