Is it wrong - McDonalds 250 calorie Egg McMuffin

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,910 Member
    THE EGG MCMUFFIN

English Muffin:
    Enriched flour (bleached wheat flour, malted barley flour, niacin, reduced iron, thiamin mononitrate, riboflavin, folic acid), water, yeast, high fructose corn syrup, sugar, wheat gluten, soybean oil and/or canola oil, contains 2% or less of the following: salt, calcium sulfate, calcium carbonate, citric acid, calcium citrate, yellow corn flour, corn meal, rice flour, barley malt, artificial flavors, natural flavors (botanical source), dough conditioners (ascorbic acid, azodicarbonamide, datem, tricalcium phosphate, monocalcium phosphate, enzymes, calcium peroxide), calcium propionate and potassium sorbate (preservatives), soy lecithin. Prepared with Liquid Margarine.

Egg:
    USDA Grade A eggs, soy lecithin (release agent). Prepared with Liquid Margarine.

Pasteurized Process American Cheese:
    Milk, water, milkfat, cheese culture, sodium citrate, salt, citric acid, sorbic acid (preservative), sodium phosphate, artificial color, lactic acid, acetic acid, enzymes, soy lecithin (added for slice separation).

Canadian Style Bacon:
    Pork, water, sugar, salt, sodium lactate, sodium phosphate, natural flavor (vegetable), sodium diacetate and sodium nitrite (preservatives).

Liquid Margarine:
    Liquid soybean oil, water, partially hydrogenated soybean oil, salt, hydrogenated cottonseed oil, soy lecithin, mono-and diglycerides, sodium benzoate and potassium sorbate (preservatives), artificial flavor, citric acid, vitamin A palmitate, beta carotene (color).

This list is over 50 ingredients long!

Here are the nutritional facts for one Egg McMuffin:

300 calories, 12 g fat, 30 g carbohydrates, 18 g protein, 2 g fiber, 820 mg sodium,

THAT'S A LOT OF SODIUM!!!
    Ever seen an apple's profile?

Alpha-Linolenic-Acid, Asparagine, D-Categin, Isoqurctrin, Hyperoside, Ferulic-Acid, Farnesene, Neoxathin, Phosphatidyl-Choline, Reynoutrin, Sinapic-Acid, Caffeic-Acid, Chlorogenic-Acid, P-Hydroxy-Benzoic-Acid, P-Coumaric-Acid, Avicularin, Lutein, Quercitin, Rutin, Ursolic-Acid, Protocatechuic-Acid, and Silver,Vitamin A, B1, B2, and B6, Niacin, Pantothenic acid, Folic acid, Vitamin C and Vitamin E, Calcium, Copper, Iron, Magnesium, Manganese, Phosphorus, Pottassium, Selenium, Sodium, and Zinc,Tryptophan, Threonine, Isoleucine, Leucine, Lycine, Methionine, Cystine, Phenylalanine, Tyrosine, Valine, Argenine, Histidine, Alanine, Aspartic Acid, Glutamic Acid, Glycine, Proline, and Serine. Trace amounts of Boron and Cobalt are found in apples.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • DeeDiddyGee
    DeeDiddyGee Posts: 601 Member
    Is it wrong that I'm actually excited about the new 250 calorie Egg McMuffin?
    I'm one of those people who think its Ok to eat just about anything as long as you
    Log the calories, excercise, and take a daily vitimin.

I share the same feeling. You can spend your calories any way you want. Of course, eating fresh foods is going to make you feel better, but there is nothing you cannot eat. :happy:
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Is it cheaper than the 350 calorie version? I'd feel cheated otherwise.
  • ninerbuff
    I guess I am more shocked people would put all these chemically list ingredients in there body more than anything. If you sat down and looked up every ingredient on that list and knew exactly what it could do to you and such. would you honestly still eat it? I am just wondering. I mean I guess I am just in denial that anyone could eat it because I make everything from scratch at home and know what goes in it and know I am not eating like rat poison of some sort.
    There are LOTS of ingredients from "scratch" made foods. Unless you're manufacturing your own raw materials (which I doubt), that means you're buying them from stores where they stock products that were produced and manufactured at plants. What happens with a lot of people who join here and all of a sudden start eating "healthy" (obviously they didn't get here eating that way) is they become food snobs. They start criticizing foods they either can't stand that others can eat and lose weight, or look down on people who don't eat "perfectly healthy" food options.
    I've done this for enough years now to realize that moderation of foods that one likes to eat (as long as they are meeting their daily macro/micro nutrient goals and calorie intake) isn't taboo.
    What I do notice is that lots of "healthy" eaters FALL OF THE WAGON, lots of times and then have a hard time getting back on.
    Moderation doesn't mean eating crap everyday. It means you can enjoy eating crappy on occasion with no guilt or disruption in your diet.

IDEA Fitness member
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Is it wrong that I'm actually excited about the new 250 calorie Egg McMuffin?
    I'm one of those people who think its Ok to eat just about anything as long as you
    Log the calories, excercise, and take a daily vitimin.

lol a daily vitamin doesn't come close to being an adequate source of all the vitamins and minerals your body needs. the bioavailability of said nutrients is much, much lower than if they were to come from food sources, which means your body has a harder time assimilating them, so you probably aren't getting the amount of v+m you think you are.

this is one of the biggest myths in nutrition. that you can eat whatever you want as long as you take a good multivitamin. pure BS

however, is it wrong to eat a mcdonalds egg mcmuffin? not inherently. but based on what you said, it sounds like you don't balance that out with nutritious, whole foods.... which could be an issue.
  • JRadd14
    JRadd14 Posts: 206 Member
    If it's wrong, I don't want to be right! Lol... I was pressed for time this morning, and needed to pick something up, so I tried it and it's great at only 250 cal. I can accept eating fast food in moderation if it keeps me on point and going towards my goals. Great suggestions to add veggies to it - might try that next time!
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    It's very wrong. The sausage biscuit with egg destroys the mcmuffin

WORD
  • ninerbuff
    THE EGG MCMUFFIN

English Muffin:
    Enriched flour (bleached wheat flour, malted barley flour, niacin, reduced iron, thiamin mononitrate, riboflavin, folic acid), water, yeast, high fructose corn syrup, sugar, wheat gluten, soybean oil and/or canola oil, contains 2% or less of the following: salt, calcium sulfate, calcium carbonate, citric acid, calcium citrate, yellow corn flour, corn meal, rice flour, barley malt, artificial flavors, natural flavors (botanical source), dough conditioners (ascorbic acid, azodicarbonamide, datem, tricalcium phosphate, monocalcium phosphate, enzymes, calcium peroxide), calcium propionate and potassium sorbate (preservatives), soy lecithin. Prepared with Liquid Margarine.

Egg:
    USDA Grade A eggs, soy lecithin (release agent). Prepared with Liquid Margarine.

Milk, water, milkfat, cheese culture, sodium citrate, salt, citric acid, sorbic acid (preservative), sodium phosphate, artificial color, lactic acid, acetic acid, enzymes, soy lecithin (added for slice separation).

Canadian Style Bacon:
    Pork, water, sugar, salt, sodium lactate, sodium phosphate, natural flavor (vegetable), sodium diacetate and sodium nitrite (preservatives).

Liquid Margarine:
    Liquid soybean oil, water, partially hydrogenated soybean oil, salt, hydrogenated cottonseed oil, soy lecithin, mono-and diglycerides, sodium benzoate and potassium sorbate (preservatives), artificial flavor, citric acid, vitamin A palmitate, beta carotene (color).

300 calories, 12 g fat, 30 g carbohydrates, 18 g protein, 2 g fiber, 820 mg sodium,

Alpha-Linolenic-Acid, Asparagine, D-Categin, Isoqurctrin, Hyperoside, Ferulic-Acid, Farnesene, Neoxathin, Phosphatidyl-Choline, Reynoutrin, Sinapic-Acid, Caffeic-Acid, Chlorogenic-Acid, P-Hydroxy-Benzoic-Acid, P-Coumaric-Acid, Avicularin, Lutein, Quercitin, Rutin, Ursolic-Acid, Protocatechuic-Acid, and Silver,Vitamin A, B1, B2, and B6, Niacin, Pantothenic acid, Folic acid, Vitamin C and Vitamin E, Calcium, Copper, Iron, Magnesium, Manganese, Phosphorus, Pottassium, Selenium, Sodium, and Zinc,Tryptophan, Threonine, Isoleucine, Leucine, Lycine, Methionine, Cystine, Phenylalanine, Tyrosine, Valine, Argenine, Histidine, Alanine, Aspartic Acid, Glutamic Acid, Glycine, Proline, and Serine. Trace amounts of Boron and Cobalt are found in apples.

IDEA Fitness member

this is the dumbest thing you IIFYMers keep repeating in every thread

none of those things are INGREDIENTS. you don't combine those things in a lab to make an apple. the false equivalency you guys try to create is hilarious.
    Sometimes reading helps Reddy. Denote I stated "profile" and not ingredients. Gotcha.:laugh:
    Chemical make up of food (whether artificial or natural) all gets broken down to it's simplest form and absorbed by the body.
    You know as well as I do that eating an Egg McMuffin once a week won't kill anyone if they are pretty much on point the rest of the time.
    I am refuting those that state that eating it even ONE time will be the demise of the person eating it. Somehow they've all become experts in nutrition.

IDEA Fitness member
  • CoachReddy
    THE EGG MCMUFFIN

English Muffin:

Egg:

Canadian Style Bacon:

Liquid Margarine:

IDEA Fitness member

none of those things are INGREDIENTS. you don't combine those things in a lab to make an apple. the false equivalency you guys try to create is hilarious.
    Sometimes reading helps Reddy. Denote I stated "profile" and not ingredients. Gotcha.:laugh:
    Chemical make up of food (whether artificial or natural) all gets broken down to it's simplest ingredients and absorbed by the body.
    You know as well as I do that eating an Egg McMuffin once a week won't kill anyone if they are pretty much on point the rest of the time.
    I am refuting those that state that eating it even ONE time will be the demise of the person eating it. Somehow they've all become experts in nutrition.

IDEA Fitness member

we agree on that point, however the OP likely is NOT on point the rest of the week based on the original post.
  • CoachReddy
    THE EGG MCMUFFIN

English Muffin:

Egg:

Canadian Style Bacon:

Liquid Margarine:

IDEA Fitness member

IDEA Fitness member

i'm sorry, were you, or were you not comparing the apple's "profile" to a long list of actual ingredients, thus making creating a false equivalency?
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    sigh.

double sigh

With a side of Canadian bacon.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Reddys here

AbandonThread_zpse7a42bb5.gif
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Throw it in the pantry and let it sit for a month. Take it out, it'll be as fresh as the day it went in! :D

If you are what you eat, you should live to be at least 100 years old!

this is true, someone took a mcdonalds happy meal kept it for 9 years and it did not mold and looked the same as the day they bough it

This has been debunked.

http://aht.seriouseats.com/archives/2010/11/the-burger-lab-revisiting-the-myth-of-the-12-year-old-burger-testing-results.html

Personally OP if I'm going to McDonald's I'm getting a bacon, egg, and cheese biscuit, but to each their own.
  • moliva4
    moliva4 Posts: 29
    Too many people commented on that without knowing how mold grows.
  • ninerbuff
    i'm sorry, were you, or were you not comparing the apple's "profile" to a long list of actual ingredients, thus making creating a false equivalency?
    No I was comparing "listing" (as in how many). While having 50 ingredients may sound bad (and you know they start by name with highest percentage to lowest percentage when listing ingredients), just using that as a relation to what one eats is misguided.
    For instance say you eat some almonds. All that's in the bag is almonds and salt. Just 2 things.
    Now take something like Natural Trail mix. Say it has 40 ingredients in the bag but sodium being the last item.
    Which one would probably contain less sodium?

IDEA Fitness member
  • Candi_land
    Candi_land Posts: 1,311 Member
    Throw it in the pantry and let it sit for a month. Take it out, it'll be as fresh as the day it went in! :D

If you are what you eat, you should live to be at least 100 years old!

this is true, someone took a mcdonalds happy meal kept it for 9 years and it did not mold and looked the same as the day they bough it

This has been debunked.

http://aht.seriouseats.com/archives/2010/11/the-burger-lab-revisiting-the-myth-of-the-12-year-old-burger-testing-results.html

Personally OP if I'm going to McDonald's I'm getting a bacon, egg, and cheese biscuit, but to each their own.

^^ One of the many reasons why I <3 you.
  • DoingIt1975
    DoingIt1975 Posts: 1 Member
    I had one this morning. That is the correct count and THANK YOU McDonalds for coming up with a low calorie sandwich that actually tastes good. ;)
  • seanezekiel
    seanezekiel Posts: 228 Member
    Its awesome is what it is. Eat anything you want without your macros. Ignore the fast food haters.
  • MizzDoc
    MizzDoc Posts: 493 Member
    I think its wrong, have you ever really searched online to what is in those things. I know in our own household if you do it you know its just the english muffin and the egg, but I worked for Mcdonalds and believe me nothing they serve should be eaten by any human. Its all chemical and non real food riddled. But that's me :)

But I do agree with your statement of eating, exercise and logging is awesome
    Please. Are you going to tell the eggs that they crack and scramble don't come from chickens? Elaborate.

While McDonald's isn't the best choice for many, emphatic lies shouldn't be spread.

IDEA Fitness member

^^^^ This!
  • CoachReddy
    Its awesome is what it is. Eat anything you want without your macros. Ignore the fast food haters.

lolwut? did you mean "within"?

i mean you'd still be wrong... but... less wrong.