Is this fat shaming?

Options
1235»

Replies

• dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    That must be one giant bagel to be 600 calories.. Last I checked, a bagel w/cream cheese runs me about 350 calories.

you ever get a bagel at a New York deli or bagel place!? they load on probably 350 calories worth of just the cream cheese! and the bagels are big, easily count at 2(3?4??) servings of bread.

Well I live in Chicago, so no.

I'll get bagels from Dunkin Donuts or Panera bread, but they are no where near 600 calories I'm sure.
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    That must be one giant bagel to be 600 calories.. Last I checked, a bagel w/cream cheese runs me about 350 calories.

you ever get a bagel at a New York deli or bagel place!? they load on probably 350 calories worth of just the cream cheese! and the bagels are big, easily count at 2(3?4??) servings of bread.

Well I live in Chicago, so no.

I'll get bagels from Dunkin Donuts or Panera bread, but they are no where near 600 calories I'm sure.

yup, totally different. DD bagels are maybe half the size of the bagels at my favorite place! (and nowhere near as delicious!) I've found that even non-NY places, if they are delis or bagel places, serve much larger bagels with much more cream cheese than chain places like DD and Panera. My favorite bagel sandwich comes close to 1000 calories, lol, Ive had to put in on my list of "only if you climb a mountain today" foods. Pretty sure my place isn't going to be advertising the number of calories in their breakfasts any time soon! :laugh:
  • sabrinalee8
    sabrinalee8 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I don't see this as fat shaming because it's not picking on overweight people, it's just providing healthier options. If it had photos of fat people eating a bagel with cream cheese compared to a fit/thinner person with oatmeal then yes, but I'd say this is about perception. Over-sensitive, overweight people in denial about their health will make mountains out of molehills with this.

PS: When I have a bagel with cream cheese, it only comes to 270kcals because I always use low fat cream cheese and wholewheat bagels (homemade, never from a deli)
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    Nope, but the sign is awful...NO ONE should be saying/writing... "just saying" ....

Just saying.
  • DeskJobSlump
    Options
    For everyone doubting the bagel calories... you must not be from around NY :) For a NYC bagel with cream cheese, 600 calories would be a low estimate. No joke.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure it's bullying.

You know, because we call everything bullying these days

inorite! Like when we make love you keep saying I'm bullying you into it. Pfft.

It's mostly because you don't wake me up first.

That, plus the handcuffs.
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    For everyone doubting the bagel calories... you must not be from around NY :) For a NYC bagel with cream cheese, 600 calories would be a low estimate. No joke.

lol THAT!^ so glad i'm not the only one
  • jerber160
    jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure it's bullying.

You know, because we call everything bullying these days

I honestly don't understand shaming/bullying? Is it anything that makes someone feel bad? I mean, if someone 'feels bad' for being teased or for reading a sign, the only thing they can control is their response. If their response is to turn introspective and abuse food on both ends of the specttrum, I think they should recognize the need for better mental health and seek help. I think society, expecially on the internet needs to be more kind and more gentle in a Miss Manners way, but isn't it ultimately up to the individual to make a change?
  • drefaw
    drefaw Posts: 739
    Options
    It's prob already been said,.. but I would like to see all menu's list food this way .....that would be fantastic !!

And NO, this is in no way "fat shaming" ......
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    IF you honestly have an issue with that sign...

grow up.

Just sayin'.

It's not anything shaming, offering a better alternative.
  • jjlibunao
    jjlibunao Posts: 78
    Options
    No. Actually I wish more restaurants would include the calorie and macro content of stuff on their menus.

Agree - I much prefer to know because it puts you "in check."
  • chelseascounter
    chelseascounter Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    No.... and my bagel with cream cheese is about 260 cals.
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    NO ITS REALITY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    No. Actually I wish more restaurants would include the calorie and macro content of stuff on their menus.

Agree - I much prefer to know because it puts you "in check."