what do you do to tone and slim your arms?

Options

Replies

• sexymuffintop
    Options
    I bet she regrets even asking the question...absolutely amazed at how some people are so rude and arrogant on this site...some of us are beginners and really don't know the answers...to all those that think they do..... lighten up and be polite to each other on these posts....it gets so ugly when people have a differing opinion..and that is exactly it...opinions! how many are professional athletes or sports scientists or dieticians or doctors and have done some credible education other than searching on the net!

think I will be changing over to another support site....some people on here not that supportive at all!!!

Trying to correct bad information and bury myths isn't being 'rude and arrogant' or unsupportive.
  • sexymuffintop
    Options
    Here is a thought...take a look at Sarauk2sf and the post above! Which would you rather have? I will go with Sara and her kick *kitten* methodology. IT WORKS!

Ouchy lol. Good point though.
  • Rhonda21km
    Rhonda21km Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I do have some small hand weights and need to find some
    easy exercises with them. I always feel as though I'm doing them incorrectly when I've tried in the past!
  • Jaylello
    Jaylello Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    some of us are beginners and really don't know the answers

Then maybe the beginners should start taking advice instead of giving it.
  • krhn
    krhn Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    You can't necessarily target a specific area to slim down - that's basically the same concept as spot reduction which is a myth but you can make it look better by working out your arms ... In the end if you just want to lose the fat around the arms, you have to lose weight and your body will naturally drop off fat along the way
  • krhn
    krhn Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    some of us are beginners and really don't know the answers

Then maybe the beginners should start taking advice instead of giving it.
    :laugh:
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    you can target strength training to certain muscle groups, but you cannot target weight loss to a specific part of your body.

THIS

and I found Bodyweight Exercises to bee a very good place to start for the working out part.

I went from 1 push up to 10 in a row- even a couple sets.

from doing 1 bench dip, poorly, to ROCKING 3 sets of 20 raised leg seated dips!

gotten my plank time up

and am now starting on heavier weights!
    (females usually don't bulk unless they TRY HARD to bulk, so especially eating a deficit, I am not concerned about bulking at all)
  • pspetralia
    pspetralia Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    Here is a thought...take a look at Sarauk2sf and the post above! Which would you rather have? I will go with Sara and her kick *kitten* methodology. IT WORKS!

LOL! Totally agree!!!!
  • khall86790
    khall86790 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    Planks are great for this. Especially side planks!
    Look into some pilates/yoga work outs :)
  • QueenGyn
    QueenGyn Posts: 106
    Options
    bump
  • sunnyhlw77
    sunnyhlw77 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Exercise and building/maintaining muscle will help tone your arms, legs etc. Changinng your diet is great, making sure you stay within your calories can help but it won't tone your muscles, it'll just let your fat slowlly burn away, don't get me wrong weight will come off. But you will need to do some strength training to get nice looking arms, I'm not talking bench pressing 500 lbs either, and do it once or twice a week, there are a lot of good programs or go to your local gym. Really its a combination of diet AND exercise that will help you out in the long run.

EDIT: I personally row and do light weights, I've dropped 3 inches off my arms, lost the elbow fat cap and now have some muscle, its a great overall body workout too!
  • desiv2
    desiv2 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I had NO upper arm strength, but I've worked up to 75 lb bench press, 65lb barbell row and 60 lb OHP in 12 weeks by following stronglifts 5x5 and my arms are toning up awesomely. There is no bulkiness to worry about.... -_-;

Best part? The surprise on people's faces when they try to help you lift that 50lb dog food bag, but you just do it on your own like it's a bag of marshmallows. Lol
  • Viva81Diva
    Viva81Diva Posts: 148
    Options

"Tone" - what a horrible word. It doesn't really mean anything. Or, at least, people bandy it around like it means something.

Reduce BF% and retain LBM is what most people mean by "toning up". So to "tone up" (need to wash my mouth out even uttering those words!) you'll need to strength train and be in a calorie deficit. That's all. It's not magic - just takes time and hard work.

Want to "tone up" the arms? Lift some weights, eat at deficit - job done!

Thank you. You are completely right! Training combined with nutrition! Calories in/Calories out! You have to burn more than you consume.

The reason I pointed out resistance training to the OP.

I'm not here to argue with anybody. What I know and do works for me, and if not for anyone else, then that's okay. It's all about the individual and educating one's self in regard to fitness/nutrition. Even working in the field, there can be a lot of controversy over these subjects. It's best to be open to learning no matter how many years you have invested with education and experience.

As far as science behind the exercise and "fat" burning I was referring to, here is a good link you can refer to. Take it as you will. I'm just sharing so you can determine for yourself.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/kurilla1.htm

Have a great Sunday everyone.
  • phjorg
    phjorg Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    she asked out to TONE up the arms not lose fat ..
    what the sweet tits do you think tone is?!? It's losing fat so muscle starts to show underneath...
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    AGREED! please ban tone, toning or any other form of that useless term.
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    Well, I lift weights--5 lbs., nothing extreme--curls, side rows, etc., and my arms do not jiggle any more, they are slimmer, firmer, so it DOES work. I have incontrovertible proof that it does. My hubby noticed and commented "Your arms don't jiggle at all anymore" and he's usually oblivious.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    women don't get bulky unless they try.

Google basic arm workouts like tricep kickbacks, curls, ect....do those at your heaviest you can for two sets of ten or 5 a couple of times a week, if it gets too light, go up in weight. If the heaviest you can do now is 5lbs that's fine.
  • redraidergirl2009
    Options
    ugn.. exercise does not burn fat or slim arms people. so why are you recommending it?

count calories, balance macros, and do full body compound exercises. fat will be lost as determined by genetics. there is no such thing as an arm toning exercise..

Look at two people that weigh the same, one exercies and lifts weights, one doesn't. Which one is going to have better looking arms? The lazy sack that just counts cals or the one that works out?
  • phjorg
    phjorg Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    ugn.. exercise does not burn fat or slim arms people. so why are you recommending it?

count calories, balance macros, and do full body compound exercises. fat will be lost as determined by genetics. there is no such thing as an arm toning exercise..

Look at two people that weigh the same, one exercies and lifts weights, one doesn't. Which one is going to have better looking arms? The lazy sack that just counts cals or the one that works out?
    did you completely miss the part where i said to exercise??

I'm just saying recommending arm exercises is stupid because arm exercises don't burn arm fat. burning more calories than you eat does. so why recommend arm exercises, which are tiny muscles and low calorie burn compared to say bench press and rows, which are large muscle groups, also work the arms, and burn more calories.
  • redraidergirl2009
    Options

did you completely miss the part where i said to exercise??

I'm just saying recommending arm exercises is stupid because arm exercises don't burn arm fat. burning more calories than you eat does. so why recommend arm exercises, which are tiny muscles and low calorie burn compared to say bench press and rows, which are large muscle groups, also work the arms, and burn more calories.

Not everyone has someone to spot them bench pressing and personally, I dont do it unless I have someone to spot. I've seen great results using handweights mostly with just some added machines at the gym I can do by myself. If using a bench press works for you, fantastic. I'm just saying what works for me. I like to burn my calories from a combination of workouts, not just one or two.