what do you do to tone and slim your arms?

Options
1235»

Replies

• phjorg
    phjorg Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    ugn.. exercise does not burn fat or slim arms people. so why are you recommending it?

count calories, balance macros, and do full body compound exercises. fat will be lost as determined by genetics. there is no such thing as an arm toning exercise..

Look at two people that weigh the same, one exercies and lifts weights, one doesn't. Which one is going to have better looking arms? The lazy sack that just counts cals or the one that works out?
    did you completely miss the part where i said to exercise??

I'm just saying recommending arm exercises is stupid because arm exercises don't burn arm fat. burning more calories than you eat does. so why recommend arm exercises, which are tiny muscles and low calorie burn compared to say bench press and rows, which are large muscle groups, also work the arms, and burn more calories.

Not everyone has someone to spot them bench pressing and personally, I dont do it unless I have someone to spot. I've seen great results using handweights mostly with just some added machines at the gym I can do by myself. If using a bench press works for you, fantastic. I'm just saying what works for me. I like to burn my calories from a combination of workouts, not just one or two.
    then use dumbells or do pushups???

and your last point is EXACTLY what mine was. Do full body compounds. So why exactly then if you say to use lots of exercises are you specifically recommending arm exercises???
  • medic2038
    medic2038 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    ugn.. exercise does not burn fat or slim arms people. so why are you recommending it?

count calories, balance macros, and do full body compound exercises. fat will be lost as determined by genetics. there is no such thing as an arm toning exercise..

Look at two people that weigh the same, one exercies and lifts weights, one doesn't. Which one is going to have better looking arms? The lazy sack that just counts cals or the one that works out?
    did you completely miss the part where i said to exercise??

I'm just saying recommending arm exercises is stupid because arm exercises don't burn arm fat. burning more calories than you eat does. so why recommend arm exercises, which are tiny muscles and low calorie burn compared to say bench press and rows, which are large muscle groups, also work the arms, and burn more calories.

Not everyone has someone to spot them bench pressing and personally, I dont do it unless I have someone to spot. I've seen great results using handweights mostly with just some added machines at the gym I can do by myself. If using a bench press works for you, fantastic. I'm just saying what works for me. I like to burn my calories from a combination of workouts, not just one or two.
    then use dumbells or do pushups???

and your last point is EXACTLY what mine was. Do full body compounds. So why exactly then if you say to use lots of exercises are you specifically recommending arm exercises???

THIS. I lift alone 100% of the time, and I've never had problems. Flat bench I still use a bar, but I do inclined with dumbells for this reason. I also usually leave my bar uncollared in case I'd ever need to dump (which I haven't).
  • fabulara
    fabulara Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    Yes, exercise does burn fat. Diet alone will not burn fat.
    Exercise burns calories. Calorie deficit forces the body to utilize fat as energy when at rest or once glycogen stores are depleted.
    You can diet alone (calorie deficit) and burn fat. Not the best way to keep muscle, but it does work.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    All your arguments over higher reps vs. high weight are mute. Every additional lb of muscle burns an additional 50 calories at rest.. since muscle is more dense and if you're not eating over maintenance calories your arms will slim down from any sort of training program.
    Actually (broscience aside) a pound of muscle burns about 7-15 calories extra a day and not the 50 calories mentioned.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    Choose your parents wisely. Genetics has a lot to do with it.

lascisnplasticsurgerytr.jpg

Headline: Women opting for surgery to get Michelle Obama's arms

By Eryn Brown
    April 29, 2013, 5:47 a.m.
    The American Society of Plastic Surgeons released its latest cosmetic and resconstructive surgery statistics on Monday.

Once again, for the seventh year in a row, breast augmentation was the most popular form of cosmetic surgery, with 286,000 operations performed. Botox treatments reached an all-time high of 6.1 million injections. People between the ages of 40 and 54 accounted for the largest portion of the cosmetic procedures: 6.8 million, or 48%. Ninety-one percent of cosmetic procedures were in women.

But the society chose to highlight one procedure that is less familiar: the upper arm-lift. In 2012, 15,457 patients, 98% of them women, spent a total of $61 million to have liposuction on their arms, or what's known as a brachioplasty (a surgery that involves making an incision from the armpit to the elbow, usually along the back of the arm, to remove excess skin). The number of procedures was up 4,378% since 2000, when only about 300 women opted for it, the group reported.

"We are genetically programmed to have different accumulations of fat in different areas, and for some women the arms can be a problem area," said Dr. David Reath, chair of the ASPS Public Education Committee and a surgeon in Knoxville, Tenn.

Full article here: http://lat.ms/ZvKdtQ
  • amflautist
    amflautist Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    bump -- need to come back and read this!
  • jane939500
    jane939500 Posts: 1
    Options
    Ir you are doing toning and strength exercises as described in the post, how do you get the calorie burn from the workout. If you enter pushups, sit ups or arm curls etc, there doesn't seem to be any calorie adjustment from these types of workouts? Anyone know how to put the calories into your excerise plan. I can only get calorie adjustments from cardio workouts