Why does pizza have such a bad reputation?

Options

Replies

• magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    also way to derail the guy's thread. per usual.

why don't you start a white bread vs wheat bread thread if you really wanna go nuts about this. i'm not particularly interested.

His point was that the nutritional differences between homemade pizza and restaurant pizza are insignificant. Pizza cannot be pizza without the basic ingredients. As you have clarified your standpoint in previous threads, your concern is additives, which is fine for you, but it is completely ignorant to say that the nutritional value of a restaurant pizza has been changed because of additives. Instead, it has become pizza+, which in your opinion makes it less healthy, but it is only an opinion and we are all entitled to them, including Acg. Expressing his opinion does not make him anymore of a troll than you are.

this is all complete BS

In for one of my favorite gifs.

CloseEnough_zpsfa81ed12.jpg

Oh and I'm staying on 5th & 52nd, wanna get some pizza?
  • emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    Because it's not worth eating unless you eat enough to get sick. Sick = full.
  • ChristinaR720
    ChristinaR720 Posts: 1,186
    Options

In for one of my favorite gifs.

CloseEnough_zpsfa81ed12.jpg

Love this!

I will never hate on the pizza. If pizza were a person, and I was single, I would marry it. Yes, I went there.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Love this!

I will never hate on the pizza. If pizza were a person, and I was single, I would marry it. Yes, I went there.

I like you already.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Love this!

I like you already.

Agreed
  • JDBLY11
    JDBLY11 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    I hear regularly about folks giving up pizza in an effort to eat healthier. Flyers plastered around the local college compare "high nutrient density foods" to "low nutrient density foods," with pizza consistently placed in the latter category. What's going on?

If you were to eat two slices of multi-grain bread, 2 ounces mozzarella cheese, an ounce of beef or chicken, and an ounce each of chopped tomato, onions, green peppers, and olives, would you consider that a "low nutrient density" meal? If yes, what qualifies as a "high nutrient density food" for comparison? If no, then what magical process associated with a pizza oven removes the nutrients?

I mean, sure, if you pile on double cheese, extra pepperoni and sausage, and eat an entire large pie, you'll be filling up on calories while missing some macros and micros, but there's nothing inherent in pizza that requires you either skip ALL the veggies or down a whole pie at one setting.

What do you think?

Pizza that is store bought or pizza from a fast food place often is made with highly processed white flour. It is often very greasy. Some of the meats put on top are unhealthy but you can choose grilled chicken instead of pepperoni or sausage. Pineapple, olives or veggies can be put on your pizza instead of unhealthy things. When I am on program I sometimes make easy homemade pizza or order a veggie pizza from a local pizza restaurant. My husband likes mushrooms and I like veggies, just not black olives. The bread is still an issue but its okay sometimes. We have it when we can afford it, which is usually when we are paid.
  • JDBLY11
    Options
    For me it's not a great choice because it's hard for me to stop at 1 or 2 slices. So it's more of a quantity problem in my case.

That is my problem too. Usually my family just ends up getting a single large pizza and sharing it between us. I will overeat if we get breadsticks or another pizza. My husband and I get 3 pieces and my son gets 2. 3 pieces of pizza is usually 21- 24 points for me, so I have to save half a days points for the splurge or use weekly points.
  • JDBLY11
    Options

why don't you start a white bread vs wheat bread thread if you really wanna go nuts about this. i'm not particularly interested.

His point was that the nutritional differences between homemade pizza and restaurant pizza are insignificant. Pizza cannot be pizza without the basic ingredients. As you have clarified your standpoint in previous threads, your concern is additives, which is fine for you, but it is completely ignorant to say that the nutritional value of a restaurant pizza has been changed because of additives. Instead, it has become pizza+, which in your opinion makes it less healthy, but it is only an opinion and we are all entitled to them, including Acg. Expressing his opinion does not make him anymore of a troll than you are.

this is all complete BS

It's only "BS" because of your irrational belief that small amounts of additives that have no detrimental effect, and certain types of processing, destroy the nutritional content of foods. You have no scientific or rational basis for these opinions, instead simply claiming that people who eat them will get what's coming to them in the end, in the form of health problems late in life.

I eat either bought pizza probably 2-3 X a month but I know that the typical crust is not healthy. Processed bleached pizza crust is not healthy. Preservatives may have been added as well. Processing does destory the nutritional content of food, why then would they be added back in in an artificial form? And are artificial nutrients as healthy as the original? Usually they will not have much fiber and b-vitamins as a result. Those are just a few nutrients added back to flour when it has been processed. Does a bleached product sound like it's good for you either, if you eat it? Bleached flour products are very unhealthy for what they do to blood sugar and just because it is unnatural to eat something that has been bleache chemically.
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options

this is all complete BS

It's only "BS" because of your irrational belief that small amounts of additives that have no detrimental effect, and certain types of processing, destroy the nutritional content of foods. You have no scientific or rational basis for these opinions, instead simply claiming that people who eat them will get what's coming to them in the end, in the form of health problems late in life.

I eat either bought pizza probably 2-3 X a month but I know that the typical crust is not healthy. Processed bleached pizza crust is not healthy. Preservatives may have been added as well. Processing does destory the nutritional content of food, why then would they be added back in in an artificial form? And are artificial nutrients as healthy as the original? Usually they will not have much fiber and b-vitamins as a result. Those are just a few nutrients added back to flour when it has been processed. Does a bleached product sound like it's good for you either, if you eat it? Bleached flour products are very unhealthy for what they do to blood sugar and just because it is unnatural to eat something that has been bleache chemically.
    Do you have reputable citations for these concerns about bleached flour - assuming your local pizza joints don't offer anything else?
  • TheNewDodge
    TheNewDodge Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    multi-grain crust?
    lower fat cheese?
    vegetables?

**** that pizza
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    pizza fits my macros. what's not to like?
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    multi-grain crust?
    lower fat cheese?
    vegetables?

**** that pizza

Ahem.
    Vegetables are YUMMY. Artichoke hearts! Olives! Ooooh... tomato and basil! So many options!

I agree on the low fat cheese tho.

As for the crust, I have a gluten issue and I have had some pretty amazing GF pizza crusts....
  • girlfromOklahoma
    girlfromOklahoma Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Before my lifestyle change (2/3/13) we'd order pizza almost weekly. Recently I'd been craving pizza, so last Friday night when we were super busy I decided to order pizza. I managed to eat only 2 slices, got plenty full and stayed at around 600 calories. Since I didn't have any sugary sodas or beer, my meal was well within my calorie limits.

I think it's fine to have these things on occasion when they fit into your goals.
  • bgelliott
    bgelliott Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing because a slice of pizza from most anywhere will run you about 350+ calories per slice and most people will eat 3-4 slices (or more in some cases). Mostly bread and cheese with little lean meat and veggies.

I love pizza and no matter what anyone says about it, I will eat it when I feel like it! :laugh:
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options

this is all complete BS

They don't put additives in to replace nutrients. They put additives in to make it last longer in shipping.
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,342 Member
    Options
    Pizza is the perfect healthy food. Real pizza that is. The stuff most Americans call pizza is an abomination and not worthy of the name.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

this is all complete BS

They don't put additives in to replace nutrients. They put additives in to make it last longer in shipping.

Actually, they add a bunch of vitamins and minerals to bread and flour to make up for those lost during processing. That's what "enriched" means.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options

this is all complete BS

Actually, they add a bunch of vitamins and minerals to bread and flour to make up for those lost during processing. That's what "enriched" means.

Oh yeah, that's true. I had forgotten about that. But I was thinking more along the lines of preservatives.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    It has a pretty good reputation around my house ;)
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options
    Anyone who knows a thing about baking will tell you that bleached flour is useless for making bread. It's typically only used for cakes and pastries.