thoughts on artificial sweetners?

Options

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,619 Member
    Options
    It depends on how you view things... Splenda is created in a lab... our boides cannot naturally process this.... so WHY put synthetic crap in our bodies??

Go for raw honey....
    Where's the study showing that the body can't process Splenda? Please link it I'd like to read it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Snow3y
    Snow3y Posts: 1,412 Member
    Options
    Why not just have Stevia sweet or Xylitol?
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    For me personally...I never put thoughts on articificial sweeteners...Taste kinda chaulky...:laugh:
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Lots of people spout of opinion or information from "what they heard". The problem with misinformation is that unknowledgeble people on the subject end up believing it and spreading it too.

IDEA Fitness member

So far everything you have posted is mere opinion as well. Where is your - or anyone for that matter's - evidence to prove that using artificial sweeteners are NOT bad for you?
    Regardless, it always comes back to the fact that it is a chemical you are putting in your body. We are not designed to eat foods that are created in a lab no matter what you choose to believe. And just because the FDA approves something doesn't mean it's actually safe. Money speaks my friend. Do YOUR research.
    EVERYTHING on we eat/drink from Earth has a chemical compound. If you don't know that, then it's time to go back to school and study chemistry.
    And because you asked here's a peer reviewed clinical study:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17828671

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I feel that the name itself is a dead giveaway: ARTIFICIAL sweetener. Anything artificial, or processed, really shouldn't be consumed if at all possible. Although I agree that a little probably won't hurt you, wouldn't you just rather use something natural in that case?
    Unless you're eating you own garden food, killing your own meat, and drinking rain water, everything you buy in the market goes through processing of some sort. Artificial coloring is in just about every product including "natural" ones. They just use "natural" coloring.:laugh:

IDEA Fitness member
  • haroon_awan
    haroon_awan Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    Lots of people spout of opinion or information from "what they heard". The problem with misinformation is that unknowledgeble people on the subject end up believing it and spreading it too.

IDEA Fitness member

So far everything you have posted is mere opinion as well. Where is your - or anyone for that matter's - evidence to prove that using artificial sweeteners are NOT bad for you?
    Regardless, it always comes back to the fact that it is a chemical you are putting in your body. We are not designed to eat foods that are created in a lab no matter what you choose to believe. And just because the FDA approves something doesn't mean it's actually safe. Money speaks my friend. Do YOUR research.

Where's the evidence that fruit and vegetables are NOT bad for you? (sarcasm to fight ridiculous statement)

Every food or drink we put in our body is composed of chemicals. (seriously, why does everyone hate and misuse the word chemicals?)

Created in a lab =/= automatically bad for your body. (:grumble: )

Artificial sweeteners come from synthetic chemicals. The fact that we are talking about *artificial* sweeteners should have hinted at that. But I guess I should have known someone from the debate team would show up and try to nitpick my statement. (:yawns and rolls eyes: )
    If you prefer to be the lab rat & put *synthetic* chemicals into your body vs. the natural food which was created by this earth for consumption, then by all means... go right ahead. Just don't try and pass them off to others as "good for your body", unless YOU are also going to provide the proof.

Just because something is artificial doesn't mean we shouldn't eat it. A lot of fruit is grown in a lab, not on a farm. How do you think we get seedless grapes? Most bananas we eat are "clones" of others. Scientists have ways to speed up and shorten the ripening of fruit based on conditions such as weather, climate, season etc all in the name of business and making the largest profit with the smallest loss.
  • Amtath
    Amtath Posts: 2
    Options
    Natural doesn't equal good, there a lot of things out there that are poison to the human body: some mushrooms, parts of Fugu, some fruits, ...

And for the artificial, the body doesn't have a register of what is natural or not. And for artificial and processed, there is a lot of raving about the banana and yet it's not a natural fruit. It was human engineered to be and taste like that. And yet the human body doesn't mind. The body doesn't see natural or artificial, only the sum of the element composing said food. The body is even able to ingest stuff that it can't really use.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Synthetic and artificial aren't evil. If we were just to live out our "natural" lives, then medicine shouldn't play a part because it's "artificially" helping us to live longer using "synthetic" drugs and "artificial" protocols.
    There are artificial limbs, teeth, hair, clothing, leather (for the animal rights supporters), coloring for hair, make up to look better, etc.
    So if one is going to preach about "natural" and how bad "artificial" is, then live by it. Grow your own food, raise your own animals and forget supporting all the processing of food stuff by manufacturers (that would include organic foods).

But trying to state that artificial sweetners are poison (where are the dead bodies?) when consumed in SMALL amounts per day, is nothing more than scaremongering because you refuse consume it.
    You don't like it? No prob. But don't spread BS information about it when it's not supported by anything but opinion and correlation.

IDEA Fitness member
  • JoannMichelle
    Options
    Wow! The first time I used Nutrasweet I thought I had been poisoned. Some people are more sensitive to chemicals and manufacturing processes than others. I try to use natural foods. Especially if I have a bad reaction to something, like digestive problems or a headache.

I like this site for information: http://www.foodrenegade.com/my-natural-sweeteners-of-choice/
  • 1brokegal44
    1brokegal44 Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    It's all a matter of personal taste (and of course if you have a sensitivity to sweeteners, that's a whole other issue). It really depends on what we're sweetening. For example, I've been using Equal forever in my coffee. I really don't like the way sugar tastes in my coffee--and the same goes for Sweet N Low and Splenda. We tried the Trader Joe's version of Stevia and it's disgusting. It tastes more chemically than my chemical sweetener. I'll stick to my Equal.
  • Charlottesometimes23
    Charlottesometimes23 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    Stevia. KAL Liquid Stevia is my favorite.

Stevia is a 0 calorie sweetener that comes from a plant. It is not a frankenfood that was invented in a lab. It has been used in some cultures for thousands of years without incident.

I won't go near artificial sweeteners. They're poison to the body, wreak havoc on your insulin levels, drive an insatiable urge for carbs and sweets and they will have toxic effects on the body over time.

Of course there is big lobbying money in the artificial sweetener industry. Sort of like there's big money in the genetically modified foods (GMO) industry, and these industries tend to have revolving doors with our government, so you can't expect to get the real low down on how bad that stuff is from any government-funded agency.

I know of certain people on here who recoil at any link from an alternative health site, so I can only encourage you to do your own research:

http://www.naturalnews.com/artificial_sweeteners.html

Natural News is laughable and certainly not a credible source of information on pretty much anything.

I don't believe a lot of the rubbish out there on artificial sweeteners but I personally prefer to use a stevia sugar blend. Sugar has a taste that nothing can replicate and I think it's worth the few calories.
  • OliveBruises
    OliveBruises Posts: 68 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

EVERYTHING on we eat/drink from Earth has a chemical compound. If you don't know that, then it's time to go back to school and study chemistry.

IDEA Fitness member

Was this an independently funded study? I'd like to know who funded it since the only studies I can find to show it as safe are funded by the industry. See below links for reference:

http://www.wnho.net/call_for_aspartame_independent_scientific_peer_reviewed_research.htm
    http://dorway.com/aspartame-the-bad-news-repost/peer-reviewed-aspartame-studies/
  • ninerbuff
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

IDEA Fitness member

Was this an independently funded study? I'd like to know who funded it since the only studies I can find to show it as safe are funded by the industry. See below links for reference:

http://www.wnho.net/call_for_aspartame_independent_scientific_peer_reviewed_research.htm
    http://dorway.com/aspartame-the-bad-news-repost/peer-reviewed-aspartame-studies/
    Yes, it's a total conspiracy. That's why coroners are designating deaths as "artificial sweetener" caused.:laugh:
    Honestly, peer reviewed, means it can be challenged, but you have to challenge it with scientific method using the same procedures, dosages, etc. to see if there's different outcome. There are several peer reviewed studies on artificial sweeteners and the one common thing I see on the ANTI side is the dosage to deem it being bad.
    No doubt dosage has a lot to do with it. So if someone drank a case of diet soda a day, then they are probably going to be in a lot of trouble eventually. But the same would happen if you ate large amount of tilapia daily (even if it was fresh and not farmed).
    Dosages by most ANTI studies put it at about the equivalent of 20 liters of diet soda daily. That's not biased?
    Let's just say that personally I've been drinking diet soda (not more than 2 cans a day) for over 25 years (over half my life) and haven't experienced any of the travesties physically or in my blood work. Based on research that I've studied on artificial sweeteners, I'm siding with the "safe to consume" since my own experience (and many many others who are fit that I know) reflects that.

IDEA Fitness member
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    I drink three cups of coffee per day with 1 teaspoon of sugar in each cup and I have lost 16 lbs in 30+ days. I would use sugar and not artificial sweetners. For the little amount of calories, its not worth it. If you deprive yourself of a little sugar, your body may crave it.

dude, if you are only having 3 cups of coffee a day its no surprise you have lost 16 lbs. not healthy tho is it.
  • nikilis
    Options
    i think that you can go with what the mayo clinic says. honestly. its the fricken mayo clinic.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/artificial-sweeteners/MY00073
  • links_slayer
    links_slayer Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    fear mongering ftw
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    i think that you can go with what the mayo clinic says. honestly. its the fricken mayo clinic.

Lol, but what if I'm a rat?:laugh:

There's probably a conspiracy here too. Anti artificial sweetener proponents will say that Mayo's board of trustees are bought off.

IDEA Fitness member
  • nikilis
    Options

Lol, but what if I'm a rat?:laugh:

There's probably a conspiracy here too. Anti artificial sweetener proponents will say that Mayo's board of trustees are bought off.

IDEA Fitness member

there are lizards at the centre of the earth that control everything.

every thing

EVERYTHIIIING!

:laugh:
  • 1Kristine1
    1Kristine1 Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    I prefer the taste of sugar in my coffee, and the half teaspoon I have is like 7.5 calories.

Aspartame has given me headaches before when I used to drink crystal light.
  • Pardyqueenxoxo
    Pardyqueenxoxo Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I don't like the taste of sweetener at all, far too artificial! x x x