Options
    :laugh:
  • Beautifulsoull
    Options
    Oh wow.
  • sjglancy
    sjglancy Posts: 13
    Options
    So i have two girls, and 8 and a 4 year old. I need to really help them with proper eating. the 4 year old isn't much of a breakfast eater, but has started eating a little more heartily in the morning. the older one never had a problem eating first thing.

the older one is a little heavier, and i'm trying to get her to eat a little less. the younger one is just a bottomless pit and can eat anything.

the problem comes at night, as i only feed them twice a day. at night, the younger one is going crazy crying and screaming her head off. i try and make them wait until meal time, but the crying just gets to me, and i might feed them both a little early.

another problem occurs with the older one. she eats so fast that sometimes she throws up a few minutes after dinner. but the reason she eats fast is because the little one kinda steals her food sometimes.

so, any help on getting them to slow down their eating and being better at waiting for meals??
  • happydaze71
    happydaze71 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    If there is no school lunch or snacks in there then these kids are starving.... the shovelling food as quick as they can doesnt surprise me. Kids are growing, they dont need heaps at one time, but they need breakfast, lunch and dinner and some snacks (fruit, and other healthy things).
    Twice a day to eat is not enough. I am not trying to be critical or nasty.,.. I am assuming they are getting lunch somewhere?
  • angelcurry130
    angelcurry130 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    my two year old wolfs down her food, so her auntie and i give her two half portions at each meal. by the time we hit the secont part, she is satisfied enough to leave some food in her bowl. two meals has been working so far...she rarely gets snacks...usually based on behavior.

:wink:
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    serious answers only please
    Is the topic serious? I get the feeling that the joke's on us - that you're talking about your cats or dogs.

After their last answer I am getting that too...

Yup
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    OMG, your girls are just like mine, except mine are 2 and 6. In addition to the not eating at breakfast and bolting food til she barfs, I also have issues with the older girl whinging for food then refusing to eat, onl;y for the 2 year old to steal her food, then the 6 year old complans because she's still hungry but only wants string cheese.

Plus, I try to stick to 2 meals a day but when our cleaner comes over during the day, the girls are so whiney that she feeds them. I think this builds bad habits where they think that they should get food whenever they ask for it.
  • werneket
    werneket Posts: 20
    Options
    Just remember thin is not always the most healthy of the two. Try no sugar added Carnation Instant Breakfast for them with a piece of fruit for breakfast. You can make it the night before so they can grab and go in the AM. I'm sure they are hungery when they come home. On the weekend chop a variety of vegies make containers they can reach. If they need to dip they could use peanut butter or season some greek yogert with your fav. dip mix. Then they are getting added nutrition and are less likely to over-eat at dinner. Cutting down on carbs and adding vegies and protein will make them feel full longer. Children sould only get about 12.5g of sugar a day most juice boxes have more than that. Add 1/2 water to 100% juice read the lable and make sure there is no sugar or corn surup added.Cutting food into smaller bites will take longer to eat also using smaller utensils to eat with. Try encouraging them to talk during meals or count how many times they chew. They should be eating every 4 hours just not huge meals. Withholding food will just cause more harm than good. Say yes, just to healthy choices.
  • 1two3four
    1two3four Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I think this builds bad habits where they think that they should get food whenever they ask for it.

Our boy and girl will ask anyone that's ever fed them, to get them food practically as soon as they walk in the door and they are not starving by any means. I tend to agree with you. Though I will give them food in the middle of the night when I am still awake if it means I get a few more hours of sleep in the morning. So, I guess I only agree when it doesn't impact how much sleep I get.
  • hungryhobbit1
    hungryhobbit1 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    OK, so I didn't read the whole thread before replying. :P

I have one cat who looks like she ate the other two, and two skinny cats. They get the same food at the same times of day. So I have no advice on the cat front.

She is big boned. Big squishy bones that flap when she walks.
  • RoadsterGirlie
    RoadsterGirlie Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    This thread gets funnier and funnier with all the serious replies; especially since the cat is already out of the bag.
  • JessicaRobin67
    JessicaRobin67 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Children are growing...they need 3 balanced meals a day... nutritional snacks in between.

...ok, you are talking about cats. LOL
  • mspasdechat
    mspasdechat Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    My cats are all really fat but they are nice to snuggle with.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I think this builds bad habits where they think that they should get food whenever they ask for it.

Our boy and girl will ask anyone that's ever fed them, to get them food practically as soon as they walk in the door and they are not starving by any means. I tend to agree with you. Though I will give them food in the middle of the night when I am still awake if it means I get a few more hours of sleep in the morning. So, I guess I only agree when it doesn't impact how much sleep I get.

Haahaa, mine are lazy and happy to stay in bed until I get up before being fed in the morning, but as soon as my feet hit the bottom of the stairs, it's on for young and old..
  • AleciaG724
    AleciaG724 Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    LMAO!! Thanks for the entertainment!

But seriously, I had a similar problem, so I used to just throw them outside in the evenings so I wouldn't have to hear them crying. Unfortunately the coyotes got to them...
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Our vet told us to spread the food out on a cookie sheet, or to put the food in several bowls, spread out, in smaller portions to slow them down to keep her from puking and to keep them from eating all the food too fast.

Try putting half the dry food in cat food treat balls so they have to hunt their food and get some exercise.