WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MAY 2013

Options

Replies

• LucyT4dieting
    LucyT4dieting Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Good morning all,

Last night we saw a mouse in our family room…..EEEWWWW!!! Don’t know how he got in, but I’m a city girl and not used to mice, so I was really freaked out. I sure hope he didn’t bring his family with him. I have not seen mouse “droppings”, so I’m hoping it’s an isolated sighting. DH is going to get some traps today. We’re having Mother’s day dinner, and with my luck, he’ll make an appearance when company is here. :embarassed: Now, of course, I’m afraid to be barefoot in the house, and was scared this morning to go down and exercise, but I put on my big girl pants and did it anyway. He had the good sense not to show his face. I thought Milo would chase it (he sure chases squirrels and rabbits), but did he? NO WAY!!! He just yawns and lays down.:grumble: This is when a cat comes in handy!

:flowerforyou: Meg – A belated Happy Birthday!

:sick: Carol – Feel better soon.

:love: Barbie – I love lavender, and I love ice cream…..but I never heard of lavender ice cream!

:huh: Colograndma – What is “ditch water”?

:noway: Joy – I can’t even believe you have the energy to post with all of your infections. I had pneumonia once and couldn’t even get out of bed! Took me a month to recover!

:wink: Brroke – Glad to hear of your successful bra purchase. You must feel like a million bucks!

:flowerforyou: Laura – Gardening is hard work, but the results are so rewarding, aren’t they?

:happy: Kathy – Congrats on your amazing weight loss so far. Hope the knee feels better.

:heart: Robin – Healing thoughts going out for your dad.

:grumble: Bennie – I feel your pain! I never know what to wear….burning up…..then FREEZING COLD! GRRRRRR…..

:laugh: Michele – You crack me up with your bowling stories!

:laugh: DeeDee – I could never run in the rain with my dog as he is scared to go out in it! Forget about it if thunder is involved! I swear I think he could hold it for days!

I’m hoping to come home to a “mice free” zone tonight.

Congrats to everyone who are working so hard and having success and healing thoughts to all who are hurt or sick.

Hugs,
    Lucy in DE.:bigsmile:
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,878 Member
    Options
    Lucy: I am with you on the mice. That is the primary reason we have a cat. We live in an old house ( built in 1904). It has a granite basement and there is no way to plug up all the little holes a mouse can get into so J.J. is our mouse patrol. Here is a funny story though. My DD was at school in western SD and had a cat and a pet snake. There was a mouse in her apartment and the cat completely ignored it. However one day the snake got out and when my DD finally found it, it had caught and eaten the mouse! We still laugh about that.

The insurance has denied the MRI for my shoulder so I have started PT and see the orthopedist again in two weeks. In the meantime my doc has decided to challenge the insurance company with a peer to peer review. I am impressed. He is new to me, I have only seen him once before but he seems to really be going to bat on this.

DD will be here for a visit in two weeks before she takes off for Scotland with a friend. Since I cannot at this time drive due to shoulder injury, I have a list of things for her to do including hitching my horse trailer and taking it in for new tires. It will be fun to have her here but I hope I don't end up with surgery during that time.

Everyone be well, watch your portions and drink your water. Sue in SD
  • luckyinlove2
    luckyinlove2 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I've read posts on here before and thought, "This seems like a fun group". So decided to jump in! I'm an RN who was great at giving other people support and advice on life and health, but didn't listen well to myself. About 16 months ago, I decided it was time to work on me. :smile: I've lost 42 pounds on MFP, but a total of 60 pounds since I made my decision to change. My husband decided to join me which made it easier to stay lower cal. (Love that man)
    So goals for May: 1) Exercise for 1/2 hour minimum at least 4 days per week--have been doing 3 consistently up till now.
    2) Stay at or below my "allowed" MFP calories--includes eating back exercise calories
    3) Prepare at least one new lower cal meal or revision of old favorites that are low calorie weekly.
    Jeri in IL
  • rjadams
    rjadams Posts: 4,060 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the well wishes. Daddy is out of the hospital and home again. Hope he can stay home for a while. I am glad he is better.

Today I am trying not to work at a break neck speed. I realized that I haven't used the restroom at work at all for the last three days. This means I am not drinking enough water and I am to focused and busy to stop an use the bathroom. (I have always been able to hold it forever and ever:blushing: ) So I savored a cup of coffee and have downed a liter of water :drinker: already. I am stopping to read the company news and just trying to chill a bit. Less stress that way. (the queen is away at an all day workshop so no interruptions from her:wink: )

The benefit of reading the company news today was I learned that I can join the gym free for two months and then as long as I go at least 8 time per month I get reimbursed the dues. That makes it free! So DH and I are joining the gym on June 1st.

I hope you all have a terrific Thursday,

Robin, Bodi and Ritter
    Still dry in the PNW
  • suebdew
    suebdew Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    Good Morning Vit F's. I've finally caught up with everything but won't attempt to post individually. We have a rainy day in TX today. We're all packed and ready to go to Dallas for DGKs play tonight but it's storming right now so we'll wait it out.
    I finally ordered some of the books that have been recommended by various people on
    this thread. It is really an eye opener when you read the nutrition and exercise recommendations. I thought I was doing pretty good with my food choices but not so much the exercise. Anyway, I'll keep reading and adjusting as I go.
    Happy Belated birthday to MEG.
    Someone said they were moving to TX and I was wondering where in TX.
    Off to DS's for his birthday tonight (and the play) then we're heading to his ranch for Mother's Day weekend. It's a lot of fun out there but they are doing remodeling before they move furniture in so we sleep on air mattresses. Unfortunately the last time we went, our mattress leaked air and we woke up on the hard floor!
    Best wished to all who are having health issues or surgery. Spring is coming so everything will be better.
    Sue in TX
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Years ago when we had a different cat and she was outside a lot, she came home with a dead mouse in her mouth and very proudly deposited it at my feet. I'm sure she was proud of it and she brought it home for me to praise her but I took it by it's dead tail and threw it as far as I could. She just gave me this look! I will never forget that look of rejection.

Both yesterday and today I have lost .2 pounds so it's a start out of my plateau. Well it's time to get off here and go to they Y. I'm going to start doing some machines that will work on getting rid of at least one of the rolls on my belly.
  • colograndma
    colograndma Posts: 67
    Options
    :ohwell: Whew, we are one girl short and answering calls asap here. Was able to get up for a minute and go to the cafeteria and get some fruit, but not walk today. So my exercise tally will not be as good.

DH is at home unloading 30 more cinder blocks for our raised bed veggie gardens.... The weather finally cleared and he could do that today.

NSV for today.... we have a Lapidary club meeting right after I get off, so only have time for a quick sandwich and go across town to the meeting. So he is going to have the sandwichs ready (which I am totally spoiled, he has dinner waiting for me each night), but we normally would have potato chips.... and he said he was going to go get some cut fruit to have with the sandwiches. Aww, he is even trying to help! :love:

I got brave a measured myself.... let's just say you can tell I have a sit down job with my hip size.... :embarassed:

:smile: Dee Dee: hope your teeth problem gets worked out.

:laugh: Lucy : "Ditch Water".... irrigation water for the yard and garden. Via canal systems that run through all of the town with water from a river in town (we have 2 ). If you live in a subdivision like we do, each subdivision has a large pump, which pumps out water from one of the canals, and put it into pipes running through the subdivision at a certain time during the day. Sorta upsaled irrigation ditch for farming.:wink:

Well, must run.... was just asked to work a hour overtime as well. Hugs to all, and welcome newbies!

Connie
    ~colograndma~
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Lin in Central Iowa: It is good to see you here. It sounds like you’re making progress improving your health. Good news. :bigsmile: Enjoy your heirloom tomato.:flowerforyou:

jmkmomm: Good luck to your DH on the heart issues.:heart::flowerforyou:

Barbie: I always wanted acreage, but we couldn’t ever afford both land and a decent house, so the house on a quarter acre lot won. Now we don’t even have that much land and I’m surprisingly happy with it.:noway: :bigsmile:

Michele: I hope Vince is feeling better soon. The cough is often bearable, but being tethered to the bathroom gets old fast. I love that you do a happy dance when you get a strike.:laugh:

Joy: I’m glad to hear you’re feeling just a bit better and that DH is there to take care of you.:flowerforyou:

Amanda: I agree that dogs are a joy. Ours brings so much pleasure into our lives--walking partner, comedian, companion. I can’t imagine ever willingly going without a dog in my life.:heart:

cityjane:; Your bluebell wood sounds magical. Love your new motto.:bigsmile:

drvvork: Good luck with your move.:flowerforyou:

Kathy: I hope your knees settle down quickly and you feel better. My bad one is so much better than it used to be, but there are still little twinges now and then. :ohwell: I’m staying careful.:smile:

LucyT: Mice are so unwelcome. :grumble: When we had one, we discovered that it was getting in though an open pathway under our house for water pipes and there was ample room to slip a baseball through those cuts, much less a mouse. We installed hardware cloth that fit tight around the pipes and went to the wall on one side and cupboard on the other, then filled in with spackling compound. The mice never got in again.:noway:

Robin: Good news about your dad and the gym benefit available through your company. :bigsmile:

Sue: I hope you have a good time at your son’s. It sounds like quite an adventure. If there is a chance of camping in, you might want to take a new air mattress.:wink:

jmkmomm: It sounds like you are breaking through your plateau. Good going. :bigsmile:

We just got back from the MS doctor and the new MRI information confirms DH’s MS diagnosis. The doctor has prescribed medicine and we’ve started through the insurance process. DH is on Medicare plus supplemental insurance and the doctor warned us to expect to be rejected by medicare. If we are, we’ll appeal and see how that goes. Wish us luck. I want to keep my husband as healthy as possible for as long as possible.:heart::flowerforyou:
  • jmkmomm
    Options
    Katla, I am on Medicare but have an advantage plan instead of a suplement and have no problems getting my Avonex for my MS. Now it's expensive until I get into the catastrophic period which is always in March. But Medicare itself doesn't pay for it, it's whatever company you have the advantage plan through. My advantage plan also pays for my Silver Sneakers plan free so my membership to the Y is free.
  • jodios528
    jodios528 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Hi - once again I have no time to post individually. I'm so glad that I've got lots of work but miss being able to spend more time with all of you fantastic ladies on this thread.:love:

I continue to creep down and I'm soooooo close to my goal. Frankly, I'm a bit panic-ed about going on maintenance. My DH has gained 2 lbs since switching to maintenance mode:noway:

This weekend we are going to pick up our DD at school and bring her home for the summer. I'll get plenty of exercise on Saturday lugging her stuff down 3 flights of stairs in the dorm and 1 flight to the basement of the house she is moving into next fall. However, we will have 8 hours of sitting in the car Friday and Saturday as well. My DH wants to go to this burger restaurant we went to last time - huge yummy burgers and amazing fries with garlic and parmesan....there is nothing healthy on their menu!!!! :grumble:

Well have to get back to it. Hope everyone has a great day. Jodios :smile: :laugh: :love: :flowerforyou: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    HI to all my buddies here~ I had a great birthday. We went to one of my favorite restaurants…Johnny’s…it’s been here since 1922 and has the best steaks ever! Needless to say I wasn’t good on calories with a drink, a glass of wine, an appetizer, etc. But I did cut my steak and au gratin potatoes in half and only had the bleu cheese crumbles on my salad instead of a dressing. We had cake on a pink table cloth with pink cups, forks, and plates, and then my DH opened the blinds so I could see my new windchimes and garden “pretty”. I don’t know what to call it. It has a spike with a cup thing on top. Another pole is balanced in the cup and on one end is a bunch of leaves and on the other end is a dog and cat hugging. It’s really cute but I’m not sure I described it well.

I also went out to lunch to Olive Garden and had a lower cal entrée so I guess overall I didn’t do too badly.

I got my fitbit yesterday and don’t see how it can be accurate without putting in your stride size. I wore it to bed to have it monitor my sleep and it says I was in bed for 16 ½ hours (I wish) and awakened 42 times! I must have done something wrong LOL!

Grandmallie: I didn’t know you were a dental assistant! What an interesting career. Why is hubby displeased with the cruise line?

Katla: well keep us informed about hubby. I forgot mothers day is coming soon; my brother usually arranges to have flowers placed on mom’s grave; I guess I better check.

Skinny: welcome to the site!

Cookie: I hope you feel better! I know hwat you mean about no life because work eats it all.

Barbie: thanks so much for the beautiful birthday banner!

Yanniejannie: thanks for the special shout out!

Connie: sounds like you got a real workout moving bricks!

Ddellner: have you emailed fitbit? They only have email customer service

Michele: busy as always! Here the walmarts don’t’ require you to bring the ads. They just do the matches. Most of the clerks
    know them, but I write them down just in case. My favorite cashier gives me ones I don’t even know about!

Joy: I think it is so important that you are eating only healthy foods ! Good for you! Holy cow…take those meds and drink your water and send someone else for the groceries! Take care!

Viv: I bet you can find 10 minutes to get some exercise in

Linda: hope you are doing fine and you are on the mend!

Brooke: OMG I laughed til I cried at your picture! That is fabulous! I hate meetings too.

Juanita: thanks for the birthday wishes

Jane; no you were right…the birthday was the 8th but you all are spoiling me so much I may have to have another one!

Laura: I’m with you; I have studied my folks very carefully so as not to do what they did and end up like them. That sounds bad, but I think you know what I mean.

Glenda : thanks for the lovely birthday wish! Glad you are finally seeing some spring

Jodios: thanks for sharing! I bet you are so glad to be over the plateau

Kathy: we did end up having fun at the zoo although I really didn’t want to go. I got some good walking in and some time with people I like and I got to watch the penguins, which I adore.

Robin: I hope your dad is doing better today. Did you get down (up?) to see him?

Renny: yay for the loss in measurements! I hope you got rid of the headache.

Bennie: I forgot to mention earlier that one of my gifts was a battery powered fan for those hot flashes I mean power surges!

DeeDee: did you get your water in?

Lin: I used to order from Burpee all the time. Now that we are getting our garage cleared out I may have room to put in one of their greenhouses and start some things from seed

Jmv: welcome to the group! I think you have to just pick whatever page you want to start reading on; I don’t think you can reverse the order.

DrKatie: what do you teach? I am done with students til October….HOORAY

Jmkmomm: I hope the report from the monitor is good!

Liz: I hope things settle down for you at work!

Brookland: I wonder if your scales are justcaibrated differently/ That seems pretty drastic to me. Oh, welcome to the group by the way!

Someone had a cat and mouse story. We used to have these 2 cats ( I still have one and he’s 18). The other one was pounding around the kitchen one night and the ex and I got up to investigate and when we turned on the light, there she was with a mouse tail hanging out of her mouth! The old man (the 18 year old cat) took one look at that, literally shrieked and hid under the bed for 3 days. The ex took the cat out to the porch and was shaking her trying to get her to drop it. It was frosty outside and he was in his underwear. Right about then a cop rolled by and of course…..had to stop…..to see what was going on…..by the end of the ordeal we had 3 cops at the house; a city cop, a county cop, and a state patrol person! I’m sure they laughed their a**es off for hours! I was very tempted to lock the door, but was afraid the cat would run away (she was never out).

Well my lovely friends thank you again for all your warm birthday wishes. Sure makes a 29 year old feel young! Take care. Meg from now beautiful Omaha

Oh, ps Benny Beagle had all his stiches out today. He is off all meds and no more wierd food or activity restrictions! YAY!
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,785 Member
    Options
    yea Meg~ glad it was a wonderful day for you..
    I have been busy today myself. went for a haircut,it is cut like Jaime Lee Curtis right now~super short and I love it..
    I didn't eat alot today up until about 3:00 met a friend I haven't seen in a few years, and we polished off a plate of nacho's
    there was some cheese on it nor a whole lot,lettuce, tomato,and got grilled chicken on it..put some salsa on it but no guac or sour cream..

then made the mistake of having one to many of those biscotti bites~:grumble: oh well did go to the gym today and yesterday and will go in the morning..
    Ill keep going,but today food wise wasn't a good day~
    cie la vie(sp)
    So glad Benny is doing better.. treats from his buddy Alison please....
    We are booked on the cruise line that has been having many many problems. you know the name.. we are on the newest ship in the fleet,but DH is just disgusted with the way they are treating repeat customer's so we might end up cancelling. we already have plane tickets,, but we could always go to our place in florida for a week. Southwest is very good about you changing ...
    Hope everyone had a good day. waiting from a call back from my DGD she is my middle one and she turned 11 today.. I was there for the birth of her.. was truly amazing.. since I was knocked out for both of mine :laugh:
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Hello, all..........this will be short as I'm pretty much done in. Tai chi and yoga tonight. Had a nice visit with a neighbor this am; took her some of the strawberries I picked yesterday; which I'm enjoying also---good thing they are so low in calories. Saw the movie "Mud" today; also with a friend----excellent, enjoyed it very much. Had dinner at Cracker Barrel; just ham, green beans and carrots. Down a half pound this am.

Someone mentioned an author; think it was Nora Roberts; good to know there are some other bookworms here. I do read a lot, mostly forgetable mystery type stuff, but about a year ago I read a book---The Art of Racing In The Rain----fabulous!!!! Have passed it around and been told by more than one person that it was the best book they ever read. So, if anyone is looking for a good read, keep it in mind.

Congrats to everyone with NSVs and good vibes and hugs to those who need them. Time for hot chocolate and bed soon.

G'nite,
    yanniejannie
    mid-Atlantic
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    Bump to find my spot. I don't usually work on Fridays so I will have time to catch up.
  • dovergopp
    dovergopp Posts: 9
    Options
    Hi all
    thoughts in prayers for all who are suffering in one way or another congrats to all with their successes.

Loved the cat stories, when I was younger my mom had me go down to the basement to check on some washing our cat followed me I seen a mouse screamed and jumped up on the dryer the cat jumped up on the dryer and hide behind me. She did finally catch the mouse after it was in the mouse trap.

Had another good day stayed below my calories and that was even before I exercised. Had a good work out tonight my DB's girlfriend and I went for another 3 mile + walk tonight we also add a small hill tonight. Took us about 75-80 minutes. I also did really well on my steps today 15,538 the best so far this week. We did make a plan tonight to walk one of the bigger hills in are town the weekend of labor day. Well going to have my nightly tea and go to bed. Everyone take care and have a great tomorrow.:flowerforyou:
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,970 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: this has been a busy day with two line dance classes as well as dog walking and work in the yard.....I had a chance to talk to a friend on the phone while walking the dogs after supper.

:bigsmile: Jake is continuing his daily visits to the gym and recording an hour or more on the treadmill and 9,000 or more steps a day.....he has lost some weight and become very picky about what he eats.

:bigsmile: Meg, I'm happy to hear about Benny's recovery

:bigsmile: DeeDee, Noel will want to walk in the rain again now that she knows that it will result in a session with the hair dryer.

:laugh: many years ago when my step daughters were little, they packed their suitcase for their return trip to their mother's house in the morning and left the suitcase open on the floor in the living room so they could pack the last items when they got up.....imagine their surprise to find that the cat had lovingly placed a dead mouse in the suitcase as a going away gift.

:heart: :heart: :yawn: :yawn: Barbie from sunny NW Washington
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,381 Member
    Options
    Did 45 minutes of TammiLee Webbs' "I Want That Body" DVD. Had lots of help from Loki...lol Planning to go to water aerobics tomorrow, but first I'll stop at the Humane Society and drop off our aluminum. Today is my day to volunteer for the Green room. I'm going to take a bottle of cocktail sauce that I had left over from Mexican Train to the soup kitchen, also give Lynette some of the fudge that I made. But first, the stone is going to be delivered. Depending on when that's delivered will determine if I take the cocktail sauce with me and just keep it in the refrig at the Green Room and take it to the soup kitchen after volunteering or if they come earlier, I'll take it before I go. After the Green Room I'd like to stop at one food store to get what's on sale since it's on my way home. Update: I took it before I went. Also stopped at Lynette's office and gave her some of the fudge I made and a coupon for cereal that her hubby eats.

dovergopp - sounds like you made good decisions

Joy - so glad you're feeling better

brookland - welcome! You did fantastic posting. Keep coming back. Awesome weight loss and those trousers falling down! What an image....lol Doesn't it feel great?

Well, it FINALLY stopped raining here...for now. I understand there's supposed to be more rain later in the week...oh fun. Did one load of laundry early today, now have another in, will put one in tonight. Our hamper was overflowing. See, we're on septic and the year our house was built there was a VERY bad drout so they didn't put in a lawn. We never did because we knew we were going to be building the garage and then the pool so we thought "why bother, the trucks and all are just going to tear it up"

That Wii guy showed a loss (very small), which surprised me since I'd had some of the Arctic Zero ice cream (I was having a hot flash and needed something cool)

cityjane - sounds like you had an amazing walk!

drvvork - when is the move planned for?

DeeDee - I'm excited, too, to see SUNSHINE. We put a tarp down so that when they deliver the river rock they can put it on the tarp so not as much will get imbedded into the ground. Vince was saying how he's so out of breath with doing that little that he may not go to the gun club reception tonight. I did tell them that I would bring some card tables there for mahjongg. Honestly, I don't really HAVE to take them, but I also think it might be good for him to get out, even for just a little. He needs to build himself up, constantly babying yourself isn't good.

There was a reception for the gun club that Vince is on the board of. It was held at the same place where the Newcomers play mahjongg. It was funny...when I walked in the gal just looked at me and said "unsweetened ice tea no ice, right?" Vince just laughed saying "they know you here". It was very nice, I had two SMALL (like horduerve size) pieces of cheese pizza and two of what was like a chicken tender with some sauce on it. To me, and this is probably because I'm not used to salt, the chicken was salty. But like I said, it's probably because I'm sensitive to it right now. After about an hour Vince wanted to leave. I really should have known that it's usually cold there and should have worn long pants, but I wore shorts. Oh well.....

Afterwards we went to Lowes Hardware and I got my mother's day present -- knee pads and work gloves....lol

akp - I've used applesauce in brownies before, too. You can taste a *hint* of apple. At least Vince can. But he sure didn't taste the tofu! When I make a spice cake, I put applesauce or even pumpkin in it. The applesauce/pumpkin flavor blends in with the spices.

Lucy in DE - One time when we were living in Stroudsburg I saw a mouse. They rib me about this, but I kept insisting it was humongous. The truth is it was a field mouse. But to me, any mouse is humongous. Vince used to laughingly call our catg Ousa and Kousay (binLaden's children). They would make a "ring" and bat the mouse back and forth. Of course, when it died, they'd just leave it ... "the toy is broken"

skuehn - I do not like snakes..not at all. I wouldn't even get one to get rid of a mouse. I'd stand on top of the furniture before I'd get a snake. How horrible that your insurance denied the MRI but glad your doc is fighting for you. Hope, too, that you don't end up with surgery

jeri - welcome! Great goals

Robin - hope your dad stays home for a long while now. Woohoo...getting to join the gym for free.

Sue in TX - sure hope your mattress doesn't leak this time. Have fun at the party!

jmkmomm - boy, you are brave to touch a dead mouse. when our cat would bring one into the house to show me how wonderful he is, I had Vince throw it out. I wouldn't even touch it. Congrats on the weight loss

Connie - never heard of a Lapidary club. What's it all about? I'm assuming that it's your hubby who is going to have the cut fruit for you. That's so nice of him.

katla - doing that dance when I get a strike I think puts a smile on some faces, so to me it's worth it. Of course, there are some (just a few) serious bowlers who probably see that as a nusance, but I don't care. To me, I'm being enthusiastic. Good luck on that appeal. Hope it's not necessary but, unfortunately, it probably is going to be.

jodios - oh, how I remember the days of moving kids in and out of colleges. Before you know it, you'll be moving them in and out of apartments.

Oh, I saw the Nature's Own bread was on sale but when I got to the store, the sandwich rounds were also on sale, so I bought 3 packages. I figure I can offer them for the bowling party in addition to the hamburger buns. I really don't want a hamburger bun myself, so I'll probably have one of those sandwich rounds

Meg - sounds like you had a wonderful birthday. You deserve it. One time at WalMart I had an ad on my phone, bo you know that even tho I showed it to them, it had the dates the ad was running, they still told me that they usually don't honor ads on phones (why, I have no idea) but they did that time. Wish my cashier would give me price matches I don't know about. Can you run that fan with your own power surge?????? What a funny cat story...thanks for the smile Yea for Benny!

Time to go take a shower and head for bed.

Hope everyone has a great evening

Michele in NC
  • Poerava14
    Poerava14 Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    Hello Friends. This week has been busy, stressful and going very slow. Finally got the "out of office" auto reply on my laptop and my bag packed for 10 days in Hawaii. Looking forward to long beach walks and ocean swims. This will be my first vacation since joining MFP, and I admit to feeling some angst about coming face to face with my favorite island treats. I will remember your inspiring voices and encouraging words with every temptation that screams to me.

Thank you all for being here and sharing (the cat stories rock). Sending prayers to everyone in physical and emotional pain and a virtual 'high five' to all of you amazing women dropping pounds and inches.

with aloha,
    Rori the island girl misplaced in the Colorado Foothills
  • jmkmomm
    Options
    Michele I was always the one who had to find out how an animal worked, on the inside. So if I found a dead animal I would have to cut it open. I remember this pretty good size box turtle I found and he didn't move for a good while so I cut into him, the only way you can on a turtle, between the shells. And boy did he ever let me know he didn't appreciate that! So of course my Dad had to come in and perform euthenasia. I did then finish the job. I wish I could have done more with all the inquisitive spirit about how animals work but I don't think zoology was even in my vocabulary at time. So I became a nurse instead. But the boys in the neighborhood always thought I was cool and wondering what snake or animal I was cutting into. We have always been an animal household. One summer my oldest worked at a pet shop one summer between semesters. The pet shop had a policy that if anyone found an baby bird that had fallen out of it's nest, baby rabbits that had lost their Mommy due to the lawn mower to bring them in and an employee would take them home. We didn't take care of the injured but we would foster the babies until we could release them. So one simmer we had all sorts of critters in our house. Kind of like Ellie Mae Clampett and all her critters. We were up all night feeding baby bunnies, scrawny robins and then her favorite of all animals the flying squirell. The store sold them and each employee was encouraged to find one animal that they would specialize in. The flying squirrel was hers. So When some one came in to buy one she was an expert because she raised them herself. We had parents and they would pop those things out, they are marsupials so they stayed in Mommies pouch and you had to earn her trust to hold them. They ate apples and kitten food so they didn't cost much and you sold the babies for $200 a piece. So it was a lucrative thing for her. Plus the people who bought them from the store liked to have her train them so they could be the 'pocket pets' they are supposed to be.

Wow the later in the night it is the chattier I am.

Better get to bed. Joyce
  • sunshine61250
    sunshine61250 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Good morning y'all. I spent most of yesterday sleeping and am still very tired today. Hubby said I wasn't coughing near as much last night so that must be a good thing. He was pretty disgusted one time yesterday. Woke me up because he couldn't find my plastic gloves. His mom went to the bathroom in the actual toilet and he was quite happy until he went into the bathroom. Left a BUNCH of brown stuff all over the toilet seat. I told him to look under the sink in the bathroom because she's been doing that a LOT. He was horrified that I've been cleaning it up all the time, while being sick, gave me a hug and told me to go back to sleep. Then he promptly went and booked us on a cruise for next month. :heart: :heart: :heart: It was one that I tried to book for next year, but they stopped the itinerary (they usually only do it once a year) so I figured I was out of luck. He said we need time all to ourselves, without either of our moms, just relaxing and getting better. So .... I have 33 days to knock out all of these infections and get better. So, I guess it's time to go back to bed for my morning nap. They leave tomorrow to go back to the US so I'll have plenty of time to be lazy. :wink: