WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MAY 2013

Options

Replies

• suebdew
    suebdew Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    Been reading for hours but must go to bed. Played golf today and it wore me out! Bump page 11.
    Sue in TX
  • colograndma
    colograndma Posts: 67
    Options
    Hello MFP friends!

I have been off from work for a couple of days and really enjoying it. Worked some inside, but mostly outside at our new home. Getting the water going... here in Colorado we have ditch water Summer through Fall, and it saves a ton on money. The old owner had 2 different control boxes with alot of drip systems... tons of plants in the back yard... we are going to weed some out so we can get our raised bed veggie gardens going and some grape vines too. We went and priced landscape timber for the veggie garden and found they are proud of that stuff :noway: . So we swung by the brick yard and deceided on cinder blocks. DH got some of them (50) today, and we took them 6 at a time to the back yard on a dolly... In between rain showers ( Yes Lord! We are in drought condition here). Can't wait to get these built, they will be awesome! So, got good exercise there :laugh:

Tomorrow is back to work for a few days. Can't wait till I can retire and just be grandma.

Joann- I am so proud of your for reaching your goal!

Grandmallie - Praying your ear gets better soon!

Joy- I understand where you are at. My FIL would be normal one minute, and then totally out of character the next. Bless you for all you do in Love. :flowerforyou:

Meg- Happy Birthday!!!!!

Colonmec - I will be 62 soon, and plan on another 20-30 good years... that is why I am on MFP, to get back in shape and enjoy my golden years. We can do this!

Cooky- Feel better soon!

Welcome to all the newbies, and hugs to all those struggling. Keep posting everyone, you are a blessing!

Connie
    ~Colograndma~
  • ddellner
    ddellner Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    My Fitbit Zip died yesterday. I thought it just needed a new battery but no it is dead.. No falling, no being in water, working when I went to bed, dead when I woke up. Only had it since January. Has anyone else had this problem? I really can't afford to buy a new one right now.
  • teresab101
    teresab101 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    bump
  • wessecg
    wessecg Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    ddeliner - just contact fitbit, they will send you another one.
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,390 Member
    Options
    Did an hour of Leslic Sanson 5 Mile Walk DVD today. Tomorrow I'm planning to do a step DVD.

After working out, Vince and I were in the Unifour senior bowling, I bowled with a friend of mine. It's just girls. First game not so great but the other two games at least I was over 100. After bowling we went to Lowes Hdwr since we needed salt for the pool and we wanted to get some sand for the umbrella base that we got. Then I needed to stop at WalMart since I didn't realize it but I'm low on the creamer for the coffee. Tonight I'm hosting Mexican Train dominoes at our house since the gal who usually has it is away. I'll have ice tea, I'm making coffee, tea for anyone who wants it. Got some water, will also use that when we have the end of year bowling party here Tomorrow we have the Newcomer general meeting and then senior bowling. Afterward I need to stop at WalMart on the way home to get Vince his milk. See, we had his car and if I bring in the ad from Walgreen, they'll price match the price of the milk.

yanniejannie - Vince was saying last night that he wants to write a note to Dianna in Spain spanish and the same thing to Bryan, basically saying how they're welcome to come and she can meet his family. Things like that -- he doesn't have the working down exactly.

Gail - I'm having shrimp for Mexican train tonight, and it wouldn't surprise me if there was some left over. How do you make those shrimp burgers?

jodios - yea, you broke the plateau

Teresa - welcome!

dovegopp - amazing amount of steps!

BeckyRayJohns - welcome! I am a boredom eater, too, and I find that if I'm doing some sort of craft, that usually takes my mind off eating

salerunner - welcome. Good goals. A lot of the ladies on this board do the 30DS

Joy - feel better fast

DeeDee - so sorry to hear about your tooth. Hair appts always make me feel better, too

cityjane - sounds like you and dh had a lovely day. Congrats on the superb NSV

katla - great advice for Joy

Laura - how nice that your son will be donating his hair and on his graduation. You must be so very proud

Had 13 people here for Mexican Train dominoes. We had a good time, but I do wish we had more food (but that's just me)

drkatiebug - A while ago (when I was pg with Denise) I had this horrible, and I do mean horrible, toothache. The dentist saw me on a Saturday, he took an xray and it was sinuses. That's the first time I've ever had that happen to me. But now I know that when my teeth start to hurt, it most likely is sinuses.

Robin ((((hugs)) for you and your dad

Meg - My soon to be DIL as far as I know speaks SOME English. Just how much -- that I don't know.

skinnylady - welcome!

Laura - how long did it take you to put down all that rock? I can't help it - I'm a worrywort. But Vince isn't in the best of shape, I just hope he doesn't wear himself out. He was saying how the only way he'll be able to get thru bowling tomorrow is with Tylenol what with bowling today, then putting the umbrella stand together, then getting ready for Mexican Train. I don't know.

ddellner - how long was the funeral for your fitbit? From what I understand, that have great customer service.

Hope everyone has a great evening.

Gotta get ready for tomorrow, the general meeting and then bowling, mahjongg in the evening.

Michele in NC
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Exermom, our Walmart keeps adds at each checkout and you don't have to bring in your add

Joyce, saving money in Indiana
  • dovergopp
    dovergopp Posts: 9
    Options
    Hi all
    Did not get in any real exercise today I planned on going for a half hour walk before work but just when I went to leave it started raining. If I had left sooner I would have had my 10,000 steps but with puttering around the house and work I did get 8,485. I did stay below my calories to day even if by a very small amount. DH and I are planning on going to the local park for a high school baseball game that friends of our son is playing in even thou he plays for our high school rival team and that is how they are playing. I plan on walking around the park to get exercise and my steps in just hope it doesn't rain, if it does I will have to get the wii out.

Hope everyone who is not feeling well starts feeling better soon.
    Well better get to bed I have to work at 9:00am . Take care everyone and happy tomorrows
  • ddellner
    ddellner Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Wessecg Thanks, I will try to contact Fitbit tomorrow

Exermom Still mourning ;-)
  • sunshine61250
    sunshine61250 Posts: 68 Member
    Options

I was wondering since she is visiting you how in the world did she handle the long flight? I would not have wanted to sit anywhere near her:huh:

Laura80111 in Colorado:smile:

Actually, we brought her over on a Transatlantic cruise so we didn't have to deal with that at the time. Hubby will be taking her back on Saturday so he'll have to be the one to sit right next to her on the way home.
  • sunshine61250
    Options
    Well, I'm still alive today. Hooray! And after a whole week on the Fast Metabolism Diet I am down 5 lbs. Which is SO surprising considering how much food I'm eating! Totally not following "traditional" thoughts on what to eat yet filling myself with ONLY healthy foods. Check out my food diary if you like. Days one and two I had lots of good carbs and fruit, days three and four lots of protein and green veggies, days five - seven lots of healthy fats plus good carbs, protein, fruits and veggies.

Got to run. Doctor's appointment today at 9. I'll let you know what she says after I'm back. Then grocery shopping and more than likely, back to bed. SO happy it's a holiday here tomorrow so hubby is off.

Joy
  • wizzywig
    wizzywig Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    :noway: Woops didn't realise I'd missed so much!

:ohwell: Sorry I don't have time to read all the posts just yet, I'll try and catch up when I get home tonight.

:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: Sending good wishes to all who need a bit of encouragement and congrats to those who are doing well.

:drinker: I restarted my exercises yesterday (and boy do I feel it this morning) but I'm going to aim at doing at least 10 mins every morning (more if I have the time) I should be able to squeeze in 10 mins shouldn't I?) :huh: :huh:

:glasses: :glasses: We've had a few sunny days over the Bank Holiday weekend, which inspired me to do a bit of spring cleaning :bigsmile: I was back at work yesterday, quite a busy day so didn't get time to check in last night,. Still lacking in the energy department!

Well I'd best get a move on otherwise I won't even have 10 mins to exercise this morning!

Have a great day

Viv
  • LindaS175
    LindaS175 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    To my fabulous friends, Surgery in the morning on my left wrist for carpal tunnel. I may not be replying to your comments for a few days, but DD will enter my diary info. I don't want to lose my consecutive days of logging! Keep working on your healthy habits, they will eventually become part of your life and your reality! I am forever grateful for you, my dear friends, my support team! ????LindaS

I haven't been on this message board for a couple of days! Wow, I can't
    Believe there are 13 pages already!! I think I will have time to catch up over the next couple of days!
    I have ordered a protein powder to make drinks! Thanks to M , who told
    me about a powder called The organic whey! Sold on amazon. Should arrive this Thursday!
    I am planning to use it as a meal replacement. I need to get past this, plateau and lets
    Just say my exercise will be limited for awhile! Keep strong my friends, keep working towards your goals!
    We can do this, one day, one minute at a time!
    Forever grateful for your support and friendship! LindaS:heart:
  • sunshine61250
    Options
    Well, back from the doctor. Double ear infection, sinus infection and pneumonia. Finally have some strong antibiotics. The Norwegians don't like to give antibiotics because they think your body needs to learn to fight things off itself. :ohwell: Off to get groceries and then back in bed.
  • brookehe
    brookehe Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    It's been a few weeks since our discussion about bras and "taking care of the girls" - - but my reward to myself for my most recent weight loss milestone was to get some new, well-fitting bras. WOW!!!! So glad I did, I look like I lost five more pounds, just because I'm defeating gravity :bigsmile:

DeeDee – Sorry to hear about the news from the dentist, I’d be depressed too! But today is another day, hoping you find all the joy you can in it :flowerforyou:

CityJane – Wow, fainting? I didn’t realize it got that hot in England, I fainted once from the heat but I was in Texas in July!!! You did so well eating at the party, congratulations. Your Chinese meal sounds divine and your walk romantic :love:

Meg – Yikes! Meetings s**k in my humble opinion. Sorry you’re having to endure so many. Hoping you do something special for yourself in celebration of your birthday :drinker:

Lucy – Your garden sounds amazing! :happy:

Joyce – Super terrific job you’re doing at the Y. It may feel like a foreign land for a few days, but you’ll soon learn your way around the place and the machines. You’re doing an awesome job for yourself! :smile:

Barbie – I laughed picturing your dogs, I happen to have a “roller” too! It’s his favorite part of the day, searching out and finding that perfect spot to roll around on in the park. He’s happiest when he’s covered in grass and leaves :laugh:

Michelle – Your schedule sounds crazy! How do you keep track of it all? You do a great job working in your exercise :happy:

Gail – Your dinner sounds supremely delicious :smile:

Temapo (Teresa) – Welcome to our thread, come back often for laughs and support :happy:

Jodi – Great news in shattering your plateau!!!!! :drinker:

Dovergopp – Great workout, super steps! I’m like you re: the housework, I need little rewards along the way to get it done :bigsmile:

BeckyRayJohns – You’ve set good, achievable goals for yourself. You clearly understand the emotions behind your eating too, and that’s a great first step in taking control of your health. :smile:

Cheryl – Sooooo sorry you’re hurting so much. I am praying with you that Tuesday brought you relief :flowerforyou:

Sailrunner – Welcome!!! Great goals and terrific start at eating and logging :smile:

Joy – Sorry you’re not feeling any better, taking to bed sounds like just the thing for you! :yawn: Hope the antibiotics do the trick and you’re feeling 100% very soon.

LindaS – Healing prayers to you for a successful surgery and recovery :flowerforyou:

Brooke from Colorado

“If it’s important to you then you will find a way, if it’s not you’ll find an excuse.”
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,803 Member
    Options
    morning friends~
    well i went to the gym, was there an hr and think I did well. now to plan the food for the rest of the day..
    HAPPY BIRTHDAY MEG !!!!!!
    Hubby is just not happy with the cruise line we picked and is seriously considering cancelling this cruise,but we could look at other cruise lines, so will look this weekend to see maybe if we can switch.
    we finally are going to get some rain,we need it..
    hope all is well with everyone
    Dee Dee,usually if that tooth is infected ,you will be given antibiotics to get the infection taken care of then come back for the root canal. trying to give anesthetic to someone with an infection is fruitless,because it just wont work...
    good luck with it, I have been in your shoes, sending virtual hugs((((((((((((((())))))))))))))))))
  • Gardengail
    Gardengail Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Michele - I googled shrimp burger recipes and then made some healthier choices for some of the ingredients. (I had one once at a place in Atlanta call Flip Burgers and it was delicious.) Shrimp is actually a great protein! I used canned shrimp that DH bought at some time and have to say it was not very flavorful. Starting with the fresh product has to be better... BUT the cans of shrimp are gone, hopefully never to be replaced again! (LOL - I guess I could have taken them to church for our TWO-CAN Sunday donation. The first Sunday of every month the youth group collects cans for a local food pantry.)

Off to work - BBL.

Gail, metrro Atlanta
  • meyllisa
    meyllisa Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies. Everyone is so busy little bit of sunshine goes a long way!!! DH decided our patio needed a redo so we have been outside from sun up to sun down for last few days being a goffer my main job certainly does increase your steps for the day I'm well over my 10,000 for each day. hope I loose inches if I don't loose pounds just nice to get out after a long winter.

Thoughts and prayers going to those who are sick, and going through trying times

Congradulations for all the hard work everyone is putting into their health and well being

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MEG enjoy your day

Juanita in sudbury
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Happy birthday Meg,guess I go the date wrong.
    Happy hump day!!
    hugs
    jane
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Welcome Newbies! This is an amazing group.:flowerforyou:

Cooky: Hope you feel better soon.:flowerforyou:

Barbie: I am always impressed by your healthy focus and your yard work. I live in a small townhouse development and the homeowner’s association pays someone to take care of the landscaping. I have a little fringe of flowerbeds and decks that I have used to plant things that please me. I am shocked and amazed at how content I am with the situation. I’m a master gardener and have always enjoyed gardening. Here I am with a few hanging baskets and a few feet of flowerbeds. :noway: Life is very surprising.:bigsmile:

Meg: Happy birthday!:flowerforyou:

Connie in CO: I like your garden idea with the cinder block raised beds. I hope you’ll post pictures of the project. Of course I have no idea how to post pictures but hope to see yours anyway.:laugh:

Michele: I always enjoy hearing about your activities. You and Vince are always busy doing things that sound like fun. The only bowling we do is on our Wii. I really like it and we’ve had fun with it while receiving no personal injuries. I’ve never been much of a bowler in the real world. I end up with sore this and that, and nasty bruised thumbs.:grumble: I love your idea of sending your soon to be daughter-in-law a note in Spanish. It is both good-hearted and thoughtful. :heart: I’d be tempted to write it in English and try Google Translate, but then it would have to be proofread by someone who really speaks Spanish. When I was teaching I had some students who were recent immigrants from southeast Asia and spoke little to no English. I tried the google translate idea and it worked well enough for basic communication. I had other students from the same country review the messages to be sure they made sense.:wink::flowerforyou:

LindaS: I hope the protein powder works out well. So many people sing its praises that I know it can be a good strategy. If you don’t stop by here frequently it is amazing how much has happened in people’s lives. I hope you’ll be able to post more often.:flowerforyou:

Sunshine: Thank goodness for antibiotics! :love: Now maybe you can get well. I think the Norwegian medical community has a good point about avoiding OVER USE of antibiotics, but enough is enough. There are times antibiotics are needful, and this is one of them. I hope you’re well soon.:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Brooke: Congratulations on defeating gravity! :bigsmile: When I think about laws of physics, I’m reminded that all of us have also defeated inertia repeatedly, with every lost pound.:wink:

Today the clock lady is scheduled to return to fix the clock chime problem she created while fixing the clock. Hopefully, the clock will chime the hour correctly, and the others as well. It runs with excellent accuracy, as always. I am the one who caused the problem in the first place by winding with too much vigor and a little bad luck. Tomorrow brings a return visit to the MS doctor. This guy is sharp. I wonder what he’ll want to have DH do next. I suspect more tests are in order. I hope we get to keep him regardless whether or not DH has MS.

Katla in NW Oregon