WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MAY 2013

Options

Replies

• Mary9921
    Mary9921 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am Mary. I am new here. This is my first post. I am having trouble getting motivated to exercise.
    I have purchased the rockin body and hip hop abs from beachbody.com (shaun t, the creator of insanity is the maker of these dvd's).
    I have been able to input my food intake, but I cannot find a way to input these exercises.
    I am 49 years old and just got started working on my diet and exercise plan.

I need motivation to work out and eat right.
  • meyllisa
    meyllisa Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Hi All,
    Thoughts and Prayers for All who are not feeling well. Congrats to All on their success!!

Wishing All the Mothers a Happy Mothers Day enjoy your weekend and Families they are so Special

Lin Thank you for the Lovely card it was so nice

Juanita in rainy cold sudbury
  • megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies. I have had a great day. I went to a community screening event at a nursing home for the morning, then grocery shopped, and now I am OFF work until August.:love::love: :love: I’m so excited and I have lots of plans for the summer. The biggest plan is to take this time that is all my own to make my life the priority IN my life. I hope by the end of the summer these changes will be really are part of my life.

Grandmallie: lots of treats for Benny, thanks!!! Get to feeling better soon!:flowerforyou:

Yanniejannie: I loved that book! I also love to read and have very eclectic taste….I want to get plenty of reading in this summer!

Dover: sounds like you are getting lots of good exercise in!

Barbie: your suitcase story is hilarious. My old cat usually throws up in ours! :laugh: He HATES it when we leave even though we have a wonderful house sitter who stays and spoils all the babies!

Michele: I am always so amazed at how busy you are!

Rori: enjoy your trip and just add some more walking in the sand! I was born and spent many years in Hawaii and still miss some of the food.

Joyce: holy cow I never imagined raising and selling flying squirrels!

Sunshine: a cruise! How fun. I hope you feel better soon!

Amanda: thank you for the birthday wishes

DeeDee: enjoy that beautiful weather!

Cityjane: the crustless spinach and feta pie sounds wonderful; I’ll have to look it up and make it

Brooke: I’m sorry you did not get that job! It’s their loss and I hope you find something soon:flowerforyou:

Jane: love the picture

Junerbooner: great news on the weight loss!

Jb; maintaining is better than gaining!

Jackie: great advice to have a goal to work towards. It seems like when I have goals I sabotage myself. Wonder how to get out of that routine?

Kathy: great news that so many of your clothes are too big!

BJ: always nice to see you even if you don’t stay long!

Katla: I agree with you about weight being a touchy subject in the doctor’s office. It’s that way in schools too. My students and I were once involved in a research study that involved going to middle schools and doing height, weight, and BMI on the kids. The American Diabetes Association would then follow them for several years to see if any developed diabetes. We had to drop out of the study because we couldn’t find any schools that would let us weigh students!!! Supposedly because all the parents would be upset if their kids were overweight! Can you imainge???:noway: :noway: :noway:

Connie: sounds like you have a great weekend planned!

Joyce: I’m no expert, but I’d say longer is better but it should not be a lazy, easy ride. Now just watch….everyone will disagree with me. :happy:

Lin: great job on maintaining!

Mary: hi and welcome to our group. Motivation is the hardest part for me too.

Well I’m off to get some plants in the planters! Everyone have a wonderful Friday evening! Take care, Meg:drinker: from beautiful Omaha, home of another Olympic swim trials for the 3rd time in a row!
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    This week has been a struggle for me. I'm doing great with the walking and with checking in, but I cannot leave DH's candy stash alone. He doesn't understand why I can't just have two pieces,,like he does, and leave the rest to the next day. I can ignore it for months on end and then, all of a sudden, it's calling my name. I just wish he understood so that we could not have it in the house.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,968 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Joy, your husband is a keeper

:flowerforyou: Jackie, congrats on your race.

:flowerforyou: Kathy, I am impressed by your progress on your closet cleaning project.

:flowerforyou: Katla, my maintenance plan was to keep on doing what I was doing with an occasional day of not logging food.

:flowerforyou: Brooke, sorry about the disappointment about the job.

:flowerforyou: Connie, enjoy your weekend in the garden.

:flowerforyou: Joyce, long and slow or short and intense are both good…..a lot depends on your energy level and the time you have….there’s a great chapter about that in “Thinner This Year” but I can’t summarize it.

:flowerforyou: Mary, welcome….good luck on your new exercise……walking is always good…..using a heart rate monitor to figure out calories burned is the best way.

:flowerforyou: Meg, when we travel Bernie goes to The Cat’s Pajamas…..he pretends that he doesn’t like it but he always climbs to the top of the tall sisal pole they have for him and plays the whole time he is there.

:bigsmile: This has been another beautiful day…..the line dance class I taught went well…one of the new dances was a waltz to Hawaiian music….the power went off at our house just as I was starting to sauté veggies for my tofu scramble so I had yogurt and granola instead and the planned lunch later when the power came back on…..worked in the yard, walked the dogs and have plans to get to bed very early.

:heart: Barbie from NW Washington
    1461351h0otf8hco5.gif
  • Gardengail
    Gardengail Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Happy days -- the work week is over! I was in the office well over 60 hours, so exercise was definitely on the back burner. Didn't even drink much water today, had no lunch, and left after 6:30p, so DH met me at Longhorn for dinner. Yummy and not too bad calorie wise since we shared...the sodium will play out this weekend, I'm sure. Looking forward to my massage tomorrow and lunch with one of my DS tomorrow.

Joyce – RE: your heart rate. First, know that what is right for others is not necessarily right for you and your specific health situation.

Presuming you are on the beta blocker for a cardiac reason, please check with your doctor, or whatever doctor prescribed the medication, for guidance on where your heart rate should be. After all, one of the points of the beta blocker is to make your heart NOT work as hard to protect it/you. (Or, in my case, to make my wonderful, new piggy heart valve last longer.) Also, don’t just go by the heart rate number -- keep in mind your perceived level of exertion.

When starting my cardiac rehab they said to stay within 30 points of whatever my starting heart rate was, i.e., if it was 58 before I started exercising, not to go above 88, AND to be mindful of my perceived level of exertion and stay in the 12-13 range. (See below link for what that means.) There were a couple of days where my number was so low it was difficult to stay within the 30 point range. They reduced my medication dosage which helped a lot. Then, because I lost more weight, that dose was cut in half again. Looking at your ticker I see you’ve lost 30 pounds. When did they prescribe your current dosage? Perhaps you need less now. (Some of the other symptoms that indicated my dosage needed to be cut was dizziness, extremely low BP and getting very cold.)

http://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/cardiac-rehabilitation-monitoring-your-rating-of-perceived-exertion

I don’t have that close an activity restriction now, but still have to be careful about raising my heart rate too quickly. For example, the elliptical machine seems very easy to me, but runs my heart rate up 60 or 70 points in less than a minute, vs. the treadmill where I can keep it in a challenging, but not exhaustive, range for a long time, by changing up speed or incline, pumping my arms, etc. (On the treadmill I will usually do 2-2.3 miles in 35 minutes, or 3.5-3.8 miles in 55 minutes, so I AM pushing myself and can still increase my heart rate in the 30-40 point range. But if I have a day where I’m feeling just a little off in some way, I just take it easier. I still exercise, yet might walk without an incline or at a slower pace, maybe lower the weights for the day, etc.) When walking outside with my neighbor we do a 3.5 mile walk in less than an hour – and our route includes a series of 3 hills.

For me, when doing weight machines at the Y the upper body ones jump up my heart rate far more easily, so sometimes I can do 2 sets of 12 on those, other times 3 sets. Sometimes it doesn’t bother me at all, so I’ve learned to really listen to my body every time I exercise and be guided by how I feel.

Sorry for the lengthy preachy post!

Have a good night, everyone.

Gail, metro Atlanta
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Meg flying squirrels are sweet little pets to have. The are nocturnal so you need to ahve them in a area of the house that don't wake you up since they 'bark'. They are commonly called pocket pets. We kept a fanny pack and would carry them everywhere. Once they are trained they love to cuddle up in your hand and just sleep and let you love on them all evening. It takes a lot of patience to tame them though. And since they are marsupial it is so sweet watching them in the pouch. Our mating pair was so sweet. Once the babies, or joeys, were big enough to be out of the pouch, Mom would rest in her little house and Dad would take care of them. It was neat to see them 'fly' across the living room to the curtains or wherever they could land. I kind of miss them. Maybe because it takes me back to the days when my girls were of college age and I enjoyed that age so much.

Gail, I am on the beta blocker first for a fast heart rate and since it also lowers blood pressure it takes care of my high B/P also but mainly for the heart rate. At the rate of 87 today I did not feel my body was stressed at all. As far as being able to talk while it was like that, I was watching TV and head phones on so there was no talking

Joyce, contemplating life in Indiana
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,374 Member
    Options
    Rori - have a great vacation in Hawaii. How long will you be gone?

Joyce - I remember when Jessica was in college she had to dissect a shark. So, there on my dining room table, were these shark guts. Loved all you animal stories.

sunshine - sounds like you and hubby were made for each other, both of you are so giving and caring. Feel better fast

grandmalle - hope you feel better fast! Congrats to your db. I'm not expecting to hear from Bryan, either.

DeeDee - wasn't it beautiful today? I think it's supposed to be this way tomorrow, too.

Took my aluminum to the Humane Society then took the deep water class, then went to a healthy cooking demo. The topic this month was vegetarian, so they made some vegetarian foods. Really, I didn't eat all that much. But I did find out that I really don't care for curry paste, too many spices. First stopped at PetSmart for more pill pockets for Loki then to Target, they had my brownie mix on sale so I stocked up. After the cooking demo, came home. Vince had started on the rest of the landscape lights. Didn't have too many to put in, only about 8. I dug a trench for the wire. Then worked on the river rock. Vince put down the landscape fabric while I did the rock. I don't know what it was, but suddenly I got ever so tired. When we were done, I sat down in a chair. Vince told me to go take my shower because if I stayed in that chair, I'd probably fall asleep, and I'm sure he was right. I'm seriously considering skipping any exercise on Sundays as I'll be doing so much with the landscaping. Plus, this'll give me more time

brooke - I'm so so sorry you weren't called back for an interiew.

june - boy, you sure have been busy. Good luck with the move and let's hope it won't be too long until you're back here.

jb - congrats on the loss. You SOUND good

Jackie - great run. Great for you signing up for another marathon. I'm sure you'll do wonderful

kathy - how neat theat you got to read those journals.

So sorry for these short notes to people and I apologize to those that I've missed. I'm just so so tired.

Joyce - it is better to do exercise at a higher intensity even if it is for shorter period of time. You will burn more calories and continue to burn more after your workout. Of course, if your goal is to increase your endurance, than a longer workout is for you. A lot of it has to do with your goal

Mary - welcome! Since I don't input any of my exercise (I just make a note ot it), I really can't help you. But I'm sure some of the ladies on here will be able to help out

Hoping everyone has a wonderful evening. I really need to get to bed.

Michele in NC
  • suebdew
    suebdew Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    Came home early this morning so we could get our Friday golf games in. For some reason I haven't been hungry today and had a hard time getting my calories up with so much exercise. Poor me, right!
    Meg- I'm so excited for you not having to work for a few months. Enjoy as you deserve some ME time.
    Hope everyone has a lovely Mother's Day weekend. I'm off to bed early tonight.
    Sue in TX
  • jb_2011
    jb_2011 Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Katla, and anyone else who might be curious, I've written and sung all the songs on my CDs, clips of both of them are able to be heard here:

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/joanberry2
    (for the Just Enough CD which is mostly me playing acoustic and singing)

and/or

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/joanberry (for the Song for a Drummer CD which is a full-band production album)

I write folk/rock/bluesy stuff, play acoustic guitar, electric at times, and piano. Lots of the songs on the "Just Enough" CD are instrumentals where I play songs I've written for guitar only.

My website is www.joanberrymusic.com :smile:
  • RebelRenny
    RebelRenny Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    This week has been a struggle for me. I'm doing great with the walking and with checking in, but I cannot leave DH's candy stash alone. He doesn't understand why I can't just have two pieces,,like he does, and leave the rest to the next day. I can ignore it for months on end and then, all of a sudden, it's calling my name. I just wish he understood so that we could not have it in the house.

Awww...I recognize this. If it is in the house, it calls my name! Darned :grumble: :grumble:

:flowerforyou: @Meg..Off till August? Celebrate, celebrate. I know how busy life has been for you and I am very happy for you. I am looking forward to your posts.

:flowerforyou: @ Michelle ...I understand about being tired. I often have very little time and energy during work days to respond. No worries. I just always love when you write your posts and how you invest so much in everyone. Kudos to you

Fortunately long weekend coming up for me. Had chiro appt at end of day today, and the adjustments seems to be working. Will keep going for now, but at least headaches are over since Tuesday's adjustment. This is a whole new world for me.

Tomorrow is BBQ with the family for Mothers Day. I am very much looking forward to it.

Goodnight
    :heart: Renny
    Vancouver Island, BC (who requested maintenance to clean up the Trans Canada Highway, because I AM BIKING ON IT!!!, so there)
  • MichelleMac58
    MichelleMac58 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am Mary. I am new here. This is my first post. I am having trouble getting motivated to exercise.
    I have purchased the rockin body and hip hop abs from beachbody.com (shaun t, the creator of insanity is the maker of these dvd's).
    I have been able to input my food intake, but I cannot find a way to input these exercises.
    I am 49 years old and just got started working on my diet and exercise plan.

I need motivation to work out and eat right.

Hi Mary, Your motivation has to come from you....why do you want to lose weight....what are the benefits to you......and do you deserve to be healthy ....YES!!! Take the 1st step and stay focused on a small goal....you are worth it....once the 1st goal is reached make another then another and look into the mirror and tell yourself you are doing great! Add me for support as well ...we can all use a friend.
  • dovergopp
    dovergopp Posts: 9
    Options
    So glad I have a motivated walking buddy it was raining tonight so I was going to skip walking and she was still going to go so I got my umbrella an went walking we did cut it short but still did 45 minutes. We walked around one of our local cemeteries I was told 2 laps around is a mile it has some small inclines. We did 2 laps plus wandered through looking at the old tombstones. I think I found a tombstone of my grandmothers great aunt and her family. Today was weigh in day not good think I gained .8 of a pound. Thou I do fill better I don't feel blotted as I told a girl I work with I feel like I fit better in my skin don't know if that makes scents to anyone. Well everyone have a wonderful Mothers Day I have to work so I will not get to spend time with my mom until Monday I have a Dr. apt (just a check up to check my thyroid and vitamin D levels) then we will do lunch then go shopping. Well it is tea time then bed time.
  • sunshine61250
    sunshine61250 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Good morning! Hubby and MIL left at 4:30 this morning. After dropping them off at the airport, I went right back to bed. I plan on spending at least the weekend, in my p.j.'s on the couch, taking lots of drugs, catching up on the shows that I missed because MIL was watching QVC on the TV while she was here. I'm going to be lazy, lazy, lazy. I will catch up with everyone later! :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick:
  • station46
    station46 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm new. I've been reading the 5:2 diet book and I'm giving it a try. Desperate to lose weight. Seems to have lots of health advantages as well as weight loss.
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,317 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone!
    Forgot to say Brooke, so sorry about the job. It's even worse when you get your hopes up. I used to have that cycle all the time with my writing. But it will happen.
    I have got rid of almost all my old clothes now. I found a skirt that used to be my default best skirt and I think it can be taken in. I wish I hadn't given away my old sewing machine when we moved! Another one might take to a belt to hold it up. Other than a few T shirts and winter party tops from 23 years ago the cupboard is bare! :noway: DH, bless him is getting seriously concerned and would definitely help me with a new wardrobe, but I prefer to fund myself as far as possible.. I will let him buy me some dress up shoes for DSIL' s party to go with the dress he bought me. That is an anniversary present.:heart:
    I have ordered some 5kg dumbbells as the 2kg are fine for 30D shred etc, but for building up the arms are a bit too light now. I can't believe I am even doing this! It's something I never dreamed of. I can do 12 girly pushups and 2 sets of 30 second planks. I couldn't do one pushup last year and could not get off the ground for a plank.:laugh:
    No weight loss this week. It generally takes me 2 weeks now for a lb, but I am getting closer to healthy weight so it is S- L- O- W !
    I have a BP test on Monday so will be watching my sodium this weekend. I love my salt! I have cut it back a lot from what it used to be, but I still find food very bland without some. Chinese Chicken with Mushrooms tonight. I have got my own chicken stock out of the freezer so should be able to watch the sodium.
    Hope to get the runner bean poles up this pm if it isn't raining. Also will put in 2 yellow zucchini seeds. I like the yellow ones best. I seem to have a forest of coriander (cilantro) out there. Good job I love it!
    Bye for now. We had our Mother's Day in March so tomorrow will be a quiet day with DH off to N London to watch the play off. I love it as I can eat what I want and watch a DVD I like.
    Bye lovelies :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :heart:
  • DeeDee2211
    DeeDee2211 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Good morning beautiful ladies:flowerforyou:

Quick post this morning as I have a horrible headache:sick: , probably from the pollen:grumble: !

Brooke:smile: So sorry about the job:cry: ! Hang in there and keep trying, hopefully you`ll find something that suits you even better:flowerforyou: !

Renny:smile: Glad you got rid of your headache, they really are not fun:noway: :sick: !

Michele:smile: Sounds like you got a lot done with the landscaping, last year you inspired me to change all my outside lighting:bigsmile: , so thanks to you it now looks fabulous! My next project outside will be to get flowers planted on my back deck, I`m hoping to do that this coming week! Between that and the closet I should be busy:laugh: !

Joy:smile: So glad you have your home back:bigsmile: . Rest up and feel better:flowerforyou: !

I`m going to take 2 Advil and see if that helps this headache and then it`s shopping for a bit, if I feel better. I`m still looking for a pair of shoes:bigsmile: , I certainly don`t need any:noway: but......:tongue:

Have a great Saturday ladies! Drink your water:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: and log your food!!!

Hugs,
    DeeDee in nice springtime NC

By the way ladies I have heard our sweet Jb`s music and it`s fantastic, we have our own *star* right here on this thread! She really is awesome!!!!
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,768 Member
    Options
    good morning ladies,
    im up and it is sorta rainy here today,but over to the gym I went.. spoke with the PT over there real nice guy and he told me hot to ramp things up a bit, also told me to maybe put a couple more 100 calories in my daily intake.. that I have to eat something every couple of hrs to keep the metabolism going.. will try that.. everybody has such busy weekends.. would be nice to slow down the pace and do something relaxing...
  • kathyszoo
    kathyszoo Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Good Morning!

Only have a sec but wanted to check in. :smile: Caught up with all the posts. Yay! Happy Mother's Day to all the moms and stepmoms here! :heart:
    Happy to report a 1 pound loss and another 1 1/2 inches gone on thighs and calves. :happy: Tomorrow my DD and I will go to the nursery to pick out a hanging plant for the porch. She always gets me a gorgeous one every Mother's Day! Hopefully my DS will call me. Have a great weekend all!

DrKatiebug - I can so relate to your struggle with DH's stash! I try to resist but sometimes I cave when it comes to his Double Stuff Oreos! And those are very hard to eat just one! It would be so much easier without it in the house. But I did resist the candy at the checkout yesterday. Even had one in my hand and opted for a rare treat of a PepsiMax instead. :smile:

Kathy:drinker:
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Happy sat.
    Going to my son`s for an early mom`s day celebration.
    Enjoy your day!
    HUGS