WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MAY 2013

Options

Replies

• colograndma
    colograndma Posts: 67
    Options
    Popping in for a minute at work on a break. Everyone sounds so very busy.... I finally got through all the posts.

We are busy too, I did not even have time to post yesterday. I worked in the yard with Jim, we got our garlic in the mail from Burpee's and planted it all.... if it all produces we will have oh so much garlic :bigsmile: Then I had to come into work even though it was my day off , as we had our monthly Safety meeting for the Hospital and I am the Safety Officer for our office. By the time I got home and we had supper and I got a few chores done in the house, I was toast, Spent the rest of the night shredding newspaper for the compost and watching the Voice.

Yannie Jannie - DH was on Kennedy's commissioning crew, he is " plank owner". So He was there 67-71. Did you guys know they are trying to turn it into a museum in Rhode Island. It is quite a project. http://www.ussjfkri.org/

Liz - Hoping you and sis had a nice celebration!

Grandmallie - Love the picture!

Katla- Wow size 10! Great Job and I loved your NSV :bigsmile:

Sue and Kathy -Sorry for the insurance frustraion, my dh has had to jump through alot of hoops too and he is a VA patient.:grumble:

Hugs to all, keep up the great work! :heart:
    Connie
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the notes of encouragement. I need them I didn't sleep well tonight and I don't know if that is why I am so tired today or it's just another 'MS day'. But Thursdays are our day to see DH Mom in the nursing home. Her week would be crushed if we didn't show up. I sleep till around 11 AM or so. I knew I couldn't get up, do my morning games on face book (got to do those), have lunch, go to the Y, get a shower and be ready to leave for the NH by 3 PM. So I didn't go to the Y:sad: My husband is one of 4 children and him and one brother are the only ones who see, call or even acknowledge her existence. It is so sad. When she was living in an apartment and had money left over from her SSI check her daughter was her 'best friend'. She really milked her for everything she could get. Now that MIL is in a NH and only gets a very small amount of money each month the daughter doesn't come around at all. I remember one time when MIL was very ill and in the hospital I called daughter, she arrived at the hospital and took over everything, trying to tell the nurses her health history, be the dutiful daughter. I just bit my tongue. She knows nothing about her Mom. To top it off she told the nurses that I wasn't a member of the family, just a daughter in law! Made me want to forget my religion.

OK, that's my vent for the night!
  • megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Hello from still-stormy Omaha. It’s thundering and raining again now. I did get a nice walk in today but I am amazed at how little I have been able to keep up my fitness plan even though I’m off work. You’d think it’d be a walk in the park, but so far, not so. I try to plan and have schedules and everything else, but nothing seems to keep me on track. At least today I did walk and with grocery shopping I’m at nearly 8,000 steps.

Lin: I think the storms are heading your way again. Keep your head down!

Kathy I had some bad eating last night too. We had leftover pizza, so that in itself wasn’t too bad, but we ate late because our auctioneer came over and didn’t leave til 8 then I got halfway through a piece and the main author of my textbook called, and that was an hour, so then I wolfed down ½ piece of cold pizza, ate some chips and queso and decided to finish the apple crumb pie, followed by a beer! Then I thought to myself….what the hell was THAT all about ? Had to be stress!

Wizzywig; I’m with you…June has to be better!

Joyce: good for you to keep working at that exercise!

Heather: I also am intolerant to noise, not so much music unless it’s loud, but I had really loud places where you just have to shout to even be heard. Sounds like your dinner was grand. Thanks for the love sent to my dad!

Katla: a size 10!!!!!! OMG so proud of you!!!

Kathy: your day sounds frustrating so I’m sending you a hug!

Newluna: we have to “assign” animal fun times because we have 4 to deal with…3 cats and a dog, so we make sure someone pays attention to each of them daily. One cat really doesn’t want much attention so he’s easy! What medication are you thinking of? I haven’t tried any myself

Grandmallie: you’re right…just keep on doing what you’re doing!

Yanniejannie: aren’t you getting storms there too?

Barbie: that is fantastic that your goals are so automatic. We have peonies in our yard and some of the blooms are as big as dinner plates! I have a poppy that is also blooming for the first time and boy is it gorgeous!

Michele: I love homemade whipped cream! So rich!!!

JO: what is a decri nisi?

Joy: so glad you are feeling better and starting your exercise up again!

DeeDee: I think I’m going to get a water infuser. I need some help getting this water in. Can’t stand it!

Robin: it is hard to go stricter, either with kids, students, or pets!!! Our current pooch is quite polite, so we don’t have too much trouble other than the occasional bladder issue, but our last dog had severe fear aggression and we had to go to special training for 2 years and we had to be very strict with her. She responded very well and after our training we never had another problem with her.

Jane martin: hope you have a great date night with hubby. What do you like to do on your dates?

Cityjane; great nsv!!!

Tigress: do you have a website where we can see your jewelry?

Lucy: seems like crazy weather is everywhere this year!

Connie: nice to see you even for a short pop in!

Well I had best get off the computer because now we are in a severe thunderstorm warning and the lightening is getting bad. Take care. Meg from stormy Omaha
  • Yardtigress
    Yardtigress Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Well tonight I didn't feel like eating chicken but I didn't want to eat bad carbs, I had corn tortilla pizzas. The were just the gooey treat I wanted and it didn't mess me up.

Meg-yes you can view it at Dragonsfiredesigns.artfire.com

Jmkmomm-my friend just found out she has MS and is really down, she was upset and told me she was dying. I told her we are all dying everyday. She has been having problems for the last five years and wouldn't go to the doctor, because she thought it was MS, but didn't want to know for sure. I almost had to force her to go, and now I think she is mad at me. We have known each other since 6th grade. The heat really messes her up.

Well, I made some different earring today and have to tumble them to make sure the hold their shape. See everyone in the morning.

Tigress in GA
  • NewLuna
    NewLuna Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    To top it off she told the nurses that I wasn't a member of the family, just a daughter in law! Made me want to forget my religion.
    Don't ever let someone else define you. You know who you are to your MIL.
    I had a similar situation with my in-laws (both passed on now). I feel blessed that I could be a part of both their lives. The older they got, the more care needed, the less their kids came around. For a while MIL lived with me and this was when my DH and I were separated (her house was being repaired from storm damage) I will admit some times I wished I could have stepped back a bit with other family needs or my own health but I knew how important I was to both of them. DH and I split off responsibilities in a time that I would have otherwise had labeled him extremely selfish. But when it came to his parents, he showed full and undaunting dedication to them, unlike his two sisters.
    I am certain that you will be blessed for your love and consideration of your MIL.
    Mmmmm-mmmm?!? made me mad just reading how your SIL identified you.
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Tigress, so sorry about your friend with MS. There are several kinds of MS and I am lucky to have the kindest one! She needs a good doctor that will refer her to a therapist and help her deal with not just the physical problems but the emotional ones.There are also some really good online forums to get into that she can have interactions with people who have MS, people who know what she is going through every day. And she also needs a good friend, one that will stand bu her in the good days and the bad.

Joyce
  • NewLuna
    NewLuna Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Before MFP I thought that my age was preventing me from losing weight. I justified my weight gain by blaming it on slow metabolism. But logging has helped me to see that the fact of the matter was that I was consuming way too many calories. When I made adjustments to my diet as per MFP's recommendations and added exercise, the weight came off. If I can do it, so can you!

Thank you. I have to admit I have somewhat considered that age would be a problem, along with my hypothyroidism . . . but I've not placed a lot of weight (no pun intended) in either being the real problem. I know I have made poor choices with food and not being active.
    Thanks so much for the kind words. My mini goal presently is to establish habits.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,969 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: NewLuna, thank you for the kind words on my before and after photos…..at age 62 I finally made health, fitness, and weight loss my highest priority and found success with the help of MFP and the great friends on this thread…….I didn’t even know what peonies were until I moved to the neighborhood we’re in now and saw them in so many front yards when I was walking my dogs.

:flowerforyou: Katla, we love going to Victoria and Butchart Gardens but even from here it is a very long all day trip.

:laugh: because Jake refused him some treat that he demanded….two legged children and four legged children are not that different from each other.

:flowerforyou: Meg, your yard sounds beautiful

:flowerforyou: We have had rain at our house today..... I walked the dogs this morning very early to be at a meeting at 7:00 then went to my regular line dance class, came home for the pizza lunch Jake fixed (Kashi pizza with extra veggies), watched TV with Jake for an hour, walked the dogs in the rain , then danced for two hours with the performance group---practicing dances for the County Fair—got home and walked the dogs again…this is my night to stay up later for two regular Thursday night phone calls.

:heart: Barbie from drizzly NW Washington
    [img][/img]194904olsgis3xqe.gif

81824br5uyrfrsr.gif[/

1140350y6xzy9bjr7.gif
  • sunshine61250
    sunshine61250 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone! I hope you are having a WONDERFUL day! The sun is shining here in Norway and it's beautiful! I won't be able to get my walk in until later. The Chimney sweep is coming today sometime between 7:20 and 4 and I have to be home.

DeeDee - I've already gone through 2 rounds of antibiotics. It seems like it was a whole lot easier to get over pneumonia when I was younger. I hit 50 and everything takes twice as long. :grumble:

Robin - how old is Ritter?

Sue - do you have to do anything special for a horse during a tornado watch? I'm guessing they don't go down into basements.

Katla - don't you just :heart: it when people notice? I bet you were floating on cloud 9 all night. Way to Go!

janemartin02 - how was date night?

grandmallie - that is such a great idea about freezing mini chocolate bars! I might have to try that! And congrats on your NSV! I bet that felt really good!

newluna - our Great Dane would try to get on my lap all the time when I was sick. All 175 lbs of him. UGH! He never tried it unless I was really sick thank goodness. :laugh:

Heather - I STILL remember my very first time in an English Pub. I had bangers and mash with red onion gravy and my friends said I was moaning the whole time I was eating it. I've never found it as good at any other pub (but I keep trying!). With a pint of cider. AMAZING!

Tigress - quick hello right back at you! :laugh:

yanniejannie - I HATE wasps! HATE, HATE, HATE! I killed 2 of them yesterday in my house. UGH!

Kathy - it's so important to spend time with hubby! I hope you had a wonderful lunch!

Lucy - hubby went to grill out over the weekend and we found a nest with 6 babies birds in it! No grilling for us now for the summer. :grumble:

colograndma - we are watching the Voice for the first time this year. I'm so excited that it is here in Norway. We get it a day later so I watch the show and then the next morning I get up to see who was eliminated the night before. I'm really excited that Team Blake is still intact.

jmkmomm - that is very hard for you but I bet your MIL appreciates it! :flowerforyou:

Meg - I sure hope the storms stop soon!

barbie - what kind of dancing do you do?

Joy
  • nanasorchid52
    Options
    Good morning - nice and sunny here today!

Jmkmomm - you know you are family and you are a good DIL- it hurts I know - had this for over 40 years but I won't rise to the bait.

Meg - glad you are getting the steps in. Decri nisi - You can apply for a decree nisi if your husband or wife doesn’t defend your divorce petition. A decree nisi is a document that says that the court doesn’t see any reason why you can’t divorce. After 6 weeks if no one objects you get a decri absolute!

Barbie- love the dancers - great inspiration to move!

Sunshine - I just loved my visit to Norway last year! Beautiful scenery!

Off in a minute to move some wood chip in our local school, which has been donated by the company my husband works for. It will be used so that the children are not playing in mud when they explore the outside areas and trapsing it into the classrooms. Got my wheelbarrow ready and will meet my DD and DGC there - hope plenty of people come - but good exercise !

I have made a curry loaf to have with a salad for a friend who is coming for lunch. Then we are going out to plan a route along the footpaths for an evening we have planned in June for a group of us who meet monthly. Of course we will end up in a village pub for a meal - so we will pop in and make a booking.

Oh well the wheel barrow is calling!

Keep smiling

Jo
    UK WALES
  • DeeDee2211
    DeeDee2211 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Good morning beautiful ladies:flowerforyou:

I started earlier this morning:bigsmile: but still have no time left to reply:sad: !

Wishing everyone well!!! Drink your water:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: and log your food!!!

Hugs,
    DeeDee in beautiful sunny NC:glasses:
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,784 Member
    Options
    Morning Chica's-
    I am back from the gym and getting ready for work..DH went for his physical Weds and the Dr said he needs more exercise:wink: he walks twice a week,and putt's around the house. but doesn't work up a sweat.. the Dr said he could stand to lose about 25 lbs.
    I told him he could come with me to the gym...he wont do it.. but when I did go grocery shopping I didn;t buy alot of processed stuff to feed him. I am going to cut down on what I put on his plate. because I am the one who gets his meals together..
    He wont eat vegetables ,but will try and get him to eat a salad once or twice a week.and maybe throw an apple in his lunch once or twice a week..little steps:happy:
  • Gardengail
    Gardengail Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    'morning everyone! I've been reading posts daily so I don't get too far behind. Had a consultant from work over to the house to eat supper with us last night. Invariably he eats Wendy's or bar food, so last night DH cooked a nice meal for all of us. My boss emailed a picture of the Amalfi coast to me this morning - so beautiful! I'm so glad he is getting some R&R and his family is getting his attention. He works really hard, many hours every week.

Off to fix breakfast!

Gail, metro ATL
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Well, it's the end of the month........all in all, not a great month for me on many fronts; in fact one of the worst I ever had between stress and events and emotions.........not sure I can even remember what my goals were (and it doesn't matter because I'm giving myself a pass on these this month)... here goes:

Steps...........I think I had no days under 5,000; very few over 10,000
    Red meat.........not even counting this one
    Garden work............ha, in my dreams
    and if there were any other goals, they are long gone from my mind

Pathetic, really. I let myself get sidetracked basically by the messiness and upheavals of LIFE (and death). Food (calorie-wise) has not been too bad, actually, but the exercise has been zero the past two weeks. Have not had a sustained loss in the past 11 days. Leaving tomorrow and being away 2-3 days will not help either . Ahhhhhhhhh, I guess we just go from here; all one can do. Onward, and all that.

Kathy.......good luck finding (and getting rid of) that wasp nest; be careful, they are some nasty creatures!!

Lucy..........I was thinking of you last weekend when it was so chilly here and wondering how you were making out with your vacation, hope you survived your volunteer stint after work; it sure did make a long day for you

Connie.........did not know about the Kennedy being turned into a museum, neither did dh.....I love garlic, IMO you can never have too much!

Meg...........no, no storms here........supposed to be hot but clear through the weekend......fingers crossed, HATE driving in bad weather, esp. in a rental

Joy and Jo........let's hear it for beautiful weather!!!! Hope it continues for you both.

DD last day here.........not sure how the day will go, she did mention going out to the stables for a ride, we'll see

Hope you all did better on your goals than I did!!!
    yanniejannie
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,969 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: I am posting early this morning because there is something wrong with my recumbent bike…..I usually ride it and watch TV while I eat my breakfast but this morning I can’t ride so the computer and you are my breakfast companions.

:flowerforyou: Joy, the dance I do is line dancing……I found a class here when we moved to Washington in 2004 and I liked it so much from the first class that I declared it a priority and now go regularly to three classes a week and for the present am teaching the beginner class while the regular teacher recovers from a fall. Line dancing is done to all sorts of music, not just country western. There are dances at all levels of difficulty and no partner is needed so it doesn’t matter that Jake doesn’t want to dance. Right now I’m practicing for two hours on Thursday afternoons with a performance group that will dance at the County Fair in August.

:smile: :smile: Don’t forget to be looking for the start of the new thread for June. I’ll be starting it fairly early this evening PDT because I’m going to bed early…..I meet two friends at 6AM tomorrow to drive two hours to an all day line dance workshop.

:bigsmile: Now It’s time to walk the dogs before dressing to teach the beginner line dance class.

:heart: Barbie from drizzly NW Washington
    [img][/img]194904olsgis3xqe.gif
  • LizPlus
    LizPlus Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Good morning dear ladies;
    Happy to say my sister had a great birthday at least till she got back to the NH and found one of her CBags broken..but like I told her we made it back before..Thank You each one who wished her a good day..they are so appreciated....I am a bit sore from pushing the wheel chair up the sidewalks :tongue: ..but I will recover..seeing her happy face today was priceless :heart:
    My DH is over helping our son & his friend do some cleaning up...today everything needs to be done to the apartments so the Landlord can put them for rent.....
    Last evening DH and I went to our older grandsons concert...he plays the drums..tamborine..and cymbals..and he is really good...they were selling half and half tickets...we got 3 and I gave one to my grandsons..well they won..each one got $80.00 ..bless their hearts....we are not rich by a long shot we.... are both on pensions...me disability him his work one...and my daughter wanted us to take the $160 for ourselves...but I loved that they had won on the ticket I gave them :love: ..I would never ever take it back :noway: their happy faces gave me such joy :love:
    My legs and back are hurting today from setting on those school metal chairs..so I am doing very little today.....

:happy: Grandmalle...it is so nice to your lovely smiling face...those meals you were making up sounds some yummy....the idea of putting the chocolate or whatever in smaller calorie portions is a great idea...cuts down on the over eating...thanks for posting that..Take Care :flowerforyou:

Jo...Glad you are getting your rooms done..I find redec so stressful...bet it looks nice :happy: Take Care :flowerforyou:

Joy..I think walking is one of the most enjoyable of exercises..when I go I am usually looking around at other peoples homes and see how they live a bit by their lawn & decorations...my life is a little boring at most times :blushing: Take Care :flowerforyou:

Yanniejannie..those wasps building in your car would have been very frightning.:noway: ..you are brave to just push them out of there....Take Care :flowerforyou:

To those I missed... I wish you all a really nice day..love reading all the posts..so good to kind of **be with other people** for awhile..I feel as if we are all in one room together ...chatting and getting to know one another.....Thank You for that...because of anxiety I do not go outside my apartment very much...and being with you all here is very nice :flowerforyou:

Hugs To All
    LizPlus fr Halifax NS
  • kathyszoo
    kathyszoo Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Hugs and love to all! :heart: :flowerforyou: I woke this morning in a funk again because of my relationship with the scale and stress but after a few minutes here, I'm refreshed and ready to tackle the challenges of the day!! Thanks for all your stories and friendship! I can't believe it's going to be June!!! Didn't even realize it until I read Barbie's post about the new thread! Time to review and ponder next months goals! No more time right now but happy to say I did get some exercise in already and off to do some walking and errands.

Happy almost weekend!

Kathy in STILL overcast rainy IL :drinker: :drinker:
  • rjadams
    rjadams Posts: 4,060 Member
    Options
    14,999 steps yesterday. 26 flights of stairs. It was a good day. I made a salad with romaine, blueberries, raspberries, mushrooms, feta, walnuts and fresh wild coho grilled salmon. I made my own raspberry walnut vinaigrette. It was the perfect ending to a good day.

DH and I got really caught up with our Alaska trip planning last night and confirming some christmas plans with the kids. It was really late when I went to bed. DH decided to take a vacation day today but we were supposed to carpool today. He turned off the alarm so I really overslept. It just seemed to be a good idea to take the day off so I am home today.

Joy, Ritter is 18 months old. He acts like a toddler.

I hope you all have a wonderful day. I am going to. :bigsmile:

Robin Bodi and Ritter.
    PNW
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,877 Member
    Options
    Well the sun is shining right now but it is supposed to rain again later today. Talked with the Dr.'s office again yesterday and even though I have jumped through all of the hoops and my four weeks was up Wednesday, the insurance says they have to review the Dr.'s dictation and that they have two weeks to respond as to whether I can get an MRI. This is making me really angry because the letter they sent me previously said " This test will be necessary if after four weeks of medication, home exercise or PT if the pain is not better or it gets worse". Those are their words in black and white so I do not understand their delay. Oh yes I do, they are all about money not service or patient care. Sorry all but I am really, really frustrated with this. Ready to call the state insurance commission if is it not resolved very soon.

Joy - The horses are out in a large pasture and would probably move to lower ground. I suspect if a tornado did take something out at the stable it would probably be the barn on top of the hill!

Hope everyone has met at least a part of their May goals and that you all come up with good ones for June. I need to do some thinking about mine. Take care, Sue in SD
  • LucyT4dieting
    LucyT4dieting Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    TGIF:happy:

It’s been a long week, even though I really only had three days of work since we didn’t get back from OC, MD. until Tuesday afternoon.

Last night while crossing the street to get to the Carnival, a lady was beeping at me and shouting something out the window of her car. I didn’t realize it until it was too late, but my pedometer must have fallen off in the street. The pedometer itself made it OK, but the clip part got run over and is broken. Does anyone know where I can get another clip? It works if I put it in a pocket, but I don’t always have pockets, so I won’t be able to use it all the time.

We floated around and gave the other workers breaks last night at the Carnival which meant a lot of walking around and volunteering at different booths. It was a lot of fun, but I sure was tired at the end of the night! Since both nights I went straight to the Carnival from work, we ate there. Carnival food does not offer the best choices, but I tried to keep it as light as possible.

Tonight we are going to see a local baseball team (Blue Rocks). We have never been to a game before, but the tickets are much more reasonable than the Phillies, and I heard it’s a lot of fun, so I am looking forward to it. It is REALLY hot and humid today, but I hope it cools off a little before the game.

My hydrangea isn’t looking too good. I don’t know if I planted it too early (we did have a cold spell). I hope it survives because I really love it! If anyone knows if there is anything that can be done to perk it up, I’d love to hear it.

:flowerforyou: Connie – I never even thought about planting garlic and we use a LOT of it! Let me know how you make out with it. I guess you have to grow them from seed?

:heart: Joyce – You’re a good DIL and your MIL is lucky to have you.

:laugh: Meg – My daughter just moved recently and she has not found a job yet. We were just talking about the fact that we both seem to get more done when we’re working than when we’re home all day. Don’t know why, but I think it’s a universal problem! Hope the storms subside soon!

:wink: Alison – If you consistently prepare healthy meals for your DH, he might just decide he likes it!

:ohwell: Yanniejannie – So sorry you had a stressful month. It’s hard to stay focused with chaos around you. Here’s hoping for a better June.

:smile: Barbie – Can’t believe it’s June already! Thanks again for keeping this thread going.

:heart: LizPlus – Thanks for sharing such a sweet story about the winning ticket! It just goes to show that you can’t put a price on the importance of family.

That’s all for today! See you all here again soon…….

Hugs,
    Lucy in DE.:bigsmile: