Burning 1,000 + calories during a workout

Options
aepdx
aepdx Posts: 218 Member
How are people accomplishing this? The only way I am able to is by going on hikes for hours.

I think maybe people are just lying to themselves?

Replies

• RLDeShazo
    RLDeShazo Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    the bigger you are, the more calories you burn just moving.
  • aepdx
    Options
    True! I forget to take that into consideration.
  • abheshek
    abheshek Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Usually i burn around 600-700 cals in the morning at gym

and 400-500 in the evening at the swimming pool.
  • IzzyBooNZ1
    IzzyBooNZ1 Posts: 1,289 Member
    Options
    fitnessblender have a 1,000 cal workout, it is pretty long and obviously cal burned will vary. I have done this and was shattered at then end. But I liked the feeling of achievement for sticking it out!
  • denezy
    denezy Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    I can do it in about 100 mins.
  • SZY0006
    SZY0006 Posts: 23
    Options
    If you're in great shape, it's definitely possible. I burn about 500 in a 50 minute cardio workout. Of course, I'm not in great shape, so if I tried to do another 50 minutes I'd probably pass out. :P
  • Tiznonay
    Tiznonay Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    yeah, helps if you weight a lot, haha. For me alternating walking/running at about a 5 mph average will burn me around 1000 calories in just over an hour. It's pretty do-able, and im definitely not in what I'd call "great" shape
  • marikevr
    marikevr Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    A 15k run burns about a 1000 for me.
  • kendrafallon
    kendrafallon Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    Depends on the exercise. I've been known to burn close to 1000 cals during a Tae Kwon Do (2 hour) class and that's been recorded using a HRM
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    High-intensity Zumba burns over 600 for me, so I suppose if I did two classes back to back I could burn over 1000.

I'd be dead, mind you :wink: :laugh:
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    i eat at TDEE -20% (or try to) so i don't factor in my burned calories.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    How are people accomplishing this? The only way I am able to is by going on hikes for hours.

I think maybe people are just lying to themselves?

I have burned 3500+ calories in a day. Its hard work but because of my size back then, it was much easier vs. now. I actually don't even calculate the burns anymore but thats a whole different story (I average my burns and count only 1 calorie to log the workout)
  • tachyon_master
    tachyon_master Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I can easily run at 10 mph. Even for someone my size and fitness level (I'm short, thin and a long distance runner), it's not hard to push over close to 1000 calories in an hour at that pace.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Some people are obese and must use those kind of calories just to achieve the effort. When I first started, I could burn 700+ calories in an hour of Wii Boxing or an hour on an elliptical.
  • FromHereOnOut
    FromHereOnOut Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    fitnessblender have a 1,000 cal workout, it is pretty long and obviously cal burned will vary. I have done this and was shattered at then end. But I liked the feeling of achievement for sticking it out!

I adore that workout! They actually have two of them, but I've only tried the newest one. It's GREAT! I doubt I burn upto 1000 though...I'm fumbling around during some of the HIIT and I also don't have a big enough range of dumbbells for the strength. Either way: LOVE IT! Wish I could carve out the 84minutes and mental fortitude to do it more often.
  • KaleeCat
    KaleeCat Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    On Mondays I go for a walk/run, practice violin, clarinet, and piano (hey it burns cals!!) and at night I go to Zumba. That does about 1000 calories for me. On other days I just aim for 400-800 calories burned.
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options
    I can burn over 1,000 with one hour of solid running.
    Also, the heavier the person, the more calories they burn.
  • Dewdropps
    Dewdropps Posts: 111
    Options
    Swimming for 2 hours for me is worth around 1200. Not only am I a big girl, but I think for everyone it's a matter of finding something you can do for a long period of time and stick with it.
  • aepdx
    Options
    I need to do that fitness blender 1,000 cal workout! And swimming and zumba sound like so much fun.
  • FromHereOnOut
    FromHereOnOut Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    This thread reminds me how my greatest epiphany so far was when I was reading how "bigger people" burn more calories doing anything and I was thinking, "They're so lucky because they burn more, and that means that they get to eat more every day." That's when I decided that I want to weigh as much as possible, while still being my goal size. The whole BMR/TDEE thing doesn't matter if it's muscle or fat...if you weigh more--you burn more....and if you burn more--you get to eat more!! So I intend to weigh as much as possible. I'm 5' 8.5" and I've given up on being some petite little thing, weighing a hundred pounds. So, I might as well weigh as much as possible, have some muscle on my bones, and get to be one of those lucky girls who gets to "eat whatever she wants and never gains weight". :wink: :bigsmile: