Burning 1,000 + calories during a workout

Options

Replies

• arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    How are people accomplishing this? The only way I am able to is by going on hikes for hours.

I think maybe people are just lying to themselves?

If you weigh ~ 180 (like me), you can burn 1,000 in ~ 8 miles of running. That's big mileage for a new runner, but no big deal for those of us who run 45 - 50+ miles every week.
  • ArchangelMJ
    ArchangelMJ Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I can burn 1000 in 90 minutes by dancing in front of my mirror, lol. My FT4 would say I burn 10 calories per minute when the intensity is fairly vigorous and sustained.
  • Snikkee
    Snikkee Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    How are people accomplishing this? The only way I am able to is by going on hikes for hours.

I think maybe people are just lying to themselves?

mmm no, I bust my *kitten* 3-4 hours a day 5 days a week to get between 1500 and 2500 calories burnt. so no, not lying to myself, putting in the time and hard work. Also larger people burn a significant amount more calories during work outs because their bodies have to work harder. It is very possible to burn 1000 calories or more. You just have to work for it.
  • IronD
    IronD Posts: 10
    Options
    You can burn 1000+ calories in Boxing class or on the Eliptical on level 12-16 at any weight.
    Good luck to you.
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    15Miles_zps3dbc3b43.jpg

Who wants to help support my grocery bill?

:drinker:
  • ravenrxx
    ravenrxx Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    #1 Take their weight into huge consideration.

#2 INTENSITY. INTENSITY. & INTENSITY. You can burn MUCH LESS doing the same thing another person is doing just because your not giving it your all.

Doing a turbo fire workout that is 55 mins I burn over 700 calories. And my heart rate stays at its peak through most of the workout.
    It's all about intensity. I'm overweight by 20 lbs, but I sure as hell am fit.
  • Mommylicous
    Mommylicous Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    On cardio days, I take my HRM to the gym and don't stop until I hit 1,000 cals.

Takes me about 1 1/2 hour to accomplish if I'm really trying. If not, it takes me about 2.

Strength days in 2 hours I top about 600 max on leg days.. 400 on upper body days. So it's not that hard to do, just takes a lot of time :)
  • thoseblueeyes
    thoseblueeyes Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Get a good heart monitor that straps around your chest you will be amazed how many calories you burn though out the day and workouts. My heart monitor said today I burned 729 calories alone on one exercise. I easy burn more than though out the day. I'm very active and workout a lot....
  • essjay76
    essjay76 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    It's possible. A lot of it is dependent on your size and the intensity of your workout. For example, I am 4'10" 103 pounds, and would burn approximately 1000 calories when I run 13 miles (would take me a little under 2 hours or above depending on the type of workout that day). A 6'4" weighing 200+ lbs would probably burn twice as much doing the same thing.

Remember, almost everything is an estimate, even a HRM - but a HRM is probably your best bet.

I get different estimates from MFP, my Garmin, and other fitness sites like RunKeeper, and I end up using the lowest estimate.
  • aepdx
    aepdx Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone!! i think i just need to up my intensity.
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,654 Member
    Options
    I'm a walker just starting to run, but my legs give out on me before my heart and lungs do. I burned 700+ in a little over an hour on an adaptive motion trainer recently and could have gone another half hour if I'd had the time.

More and faster isn't always better, though; it depends on your goal. I did two machine workouts tonight.
    1. Rowing, 36 minutes. Total burn 258, fat burn 152. Average HR 124.
    2. AMT, 22 minutes. Total burn 242, fat burn 70. Average HR 155.

If I wanted to burn more fat, the slower rowing workout would be better - and more sustainable. If I wanted to build cardiovascular capacity, the AMT did more for me on that front. I wanted both....

The numbers come from Digifit using a Mio Alpha as the HRM and custom zones based on one of Digifit's "fitness assessments."
  • tdgosney
    tdgosney Posts: 1
    Options
    Running stairs will burn 1000 calories in one hour.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I play three sets of singles tennis I burn that (according to MFP). Or, I do my 30+ mile bike ride.
  • 6spdeg
    6spdeg Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    when i was 250.. running for 60min at 6mph showed 1150 cal burned.
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    I sometimes go over 1000 calories per my polar hrm. Usually its a 2 hour workout session.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    I hit 1600 during basketball/hockey seasons per session.
  • littlebrownbat3
    littlebrownbat3 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I log the calories from the treadmill/elliptical (whatever machine), but I am quite certain those have quite a variation in their accuracy. For other excercises, I try to look at online data and come to some sort of average for them and I use that data. I can get to 1000 calories in an hour on some of the exercise equipment...others I cannot. Cross country skiing for two hours got me close to 1500 (estimate) but I was whacked. Really, its all just estimation.

I have the same problem with machine accuracy, if the machine is right, I burn 700 calories in 30 minutes. I guesstimate it is closer to 400, so I just put that in manually.
  • ECTexan
    ECTexan Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Swimming for an hour can burn 1000+ calories easy.
  • celtbell3
    celtbell3 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Don't go by what any machines tell you. Your heart rate will always tell the true tale! 1000+ calories an hour is achievable but not if you're not breaking a sweat and keeping the sweat going! Basically, push yourself and you'll burn it!
  • Nicolette04
    Nicolette04 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    When I am vigorously working out (I use a HRM) I can burn about 100 calories every 10 minutes, give or take. Now I have never burnt 1,000 cal in one exercise, and only on this Sunday did I burn over a 1,000 calories, over two separate exercise sessions. I went on a walk/jog (it was an attempt to start running, but was mostly some major power walking) and in 60 minutes I burned a little over 600 calories. And I did a 50 minute workout video and burned 515 calories (Side note, it was my first "real" exercise, not just a walk, where I made it over 30 minutes..I was so excited) Now I weigh 235 lbs, and I have a feeling when I am at goal weight I will have to go at it harder to burn the same amount of calories.