Burning 1,000 + calories during a workout

Options

Replies

• eperezamora
    eperezamora Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I burn around 1100 doing the Bob harper video, and that is 60-65 minutes of work out.
  • Ascolti_la_musica
    Ascolti_la_musica Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    I always get sooooo jealous of my husband for burning nearly twice as many calories as me in the same amount of time, doing the same activities. Thing is, he is in much worse shape. For him, 15 minutes of moderately paced walking is as hard as my 30 minute speed walk.
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    A 15k run burns about a 1000 for me.

me too!
  • sassafrascas
    sassafrascas Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Several people on my friends list frequently burn 1,000-3,000 calories almost daily, they all have HRMs. So i guess its possible but I recently read something about cardiac drift (A phenomenon in which heart rate increases over the period of exercise, even if intensity does not..,) So if you believe in this then it means some of these HRM numbers could be wrong. IDK So no matter what I only eat back half of my exercise calories back .
  • Tomhoffman84
    Options
    Seriously though, I love long run Saturday mornings...sooo many extra calories to do whatever I want with.
  • Isakizza
    Isakizza Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    For me personally, I find MFP really give too much credit for my workouts.

I know for a fact I don't burn as much as this site estimates. I really push myself in my workouts and have NEVER hit 1,000, even when I workout for 2-3 hours straight. The highest I've got is maybe 875, and that was crazy hard.

Everyone will get various numbers as well since we're all different height, weight, and ages. Also intensity and time.

21525558.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    15Miles_zps3dbc3b43.jpg

Who wants to help support my grocery bill?
  • nahiluoh
    nahiluoh Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    My high-calorie burns in the winter are usually several hours of snow-shoeing or cross-country skiing. Three hours through the deep snow can burn a ton of calories. The post-workout re-feeds are continuous.

Hiking (in the mountains, not just walking) is also a big calorie burn because I'm out there for hours and don't tend to eat a lot on hikes.

On a more regular note, an hour of running (running 8-9 minute miles) can burn over 1000 at my body weight (190 lbs). That's a pretty draining workout, though, since the pace is relatively quick (I was a runner 20 years ago and am slowly trying to get back into it).
  • SkinnyBubbaGaar
    SkinnyBubbaGaar Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    the bigger you are, the more calories you burn just moving.

Yep, the one and only advantage I can think of for us bigger folk. More calories burned for all activities. Getting harder, however, without lengthy exercise to keep up those kind of numbers!
  • Keto_T
    Keto_T Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    At ~220lbs and 5'3" I burn about 250 calories for a moderate 30 min on the elliptical plus about 480-515 calories doing a vigorous 1 hour boot camp (circuit training) right after according to my Polar FT4. That's the most I've gotten.
  • Blacklance36
    Blacklance36 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    I can do it just by playing a full round of golf (takes 4 1/2 hours) or when I spend a couple of hours swimming.
  • scarlettiz
    scarlettiz Posts: 1
    Options
    Wow, I can't even run for a minute. lol
  • TheWinman
    TheWinman Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    I do it just about everyday. I have also burned 3000+ cals in one continuous workout(4 hours). Lots of handwork, effort and time. I use an HRM and subtract 10% off of that to get my burn. No lying to myself here.

Most recent time was a few weeks ago when for charity I took 4 one hour spin classes in the same day and burned over 3000 cals. I actually did 19 spin classes that week and burned 18000 cals for the week.
  • BryceK67
    BryceK67 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Go running (at a descent speed) for an hour and its pretty easy to burn 1000+ cal
  • eganita
    eganita Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    I play hockey, which burns a TON of calories (which I've verified by using my heart rate monitor). I can burn up to 500-600 calories per game (about 45-60 minutes depending if I include the warm-up), and I sometimes play up to 3 games in one day. It's sort of like interval training - when I'm out on the dek (this is floor/dek hockey, not ice hockey in my case), I am often running close to full speed. Even when I'm sitting/resting between shifts, my body is still burning calories since my heart rate level is so elevated from sprinting.

I agree w/another poster that this is dependent on size as well. I'm about 5'3" and ~130-135 lbs but still can burn a ton of calories depending upon my activity.
  • Bettyeditor
    Bettyeditor Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    i eat at TDEE -20% (or try to) so i don't factor in my burned calories.

If you calculated your TDEE correctly, it factors in your burned calories. The T in TDEE stands for TOTAL daily energy expenditure... including exercise!
  • Joshacham
    Joshacham Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I have achieved burning 1,000+ calories by doing 70+ minutes of running at 6 mph. Other than that, I don't know.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    I burned 1376 cal this morning running 12 miles in 101 minutes. That's a little over 13 cal/min. I'm not all that heavy either at 178 lbs. You just have to be in decent shape and willing to put in the work.

How do you know you burned precisely this much?

That's what I'm not getting, how do people "know" this?
    I don't know if it was exactly that much but it was what the garmin calculated using the (claimed) most accurate HRM method available right now. Secondly, if I calculate it using MET values (which have scientific support) I get a value of 1567 calories for that workout. FWIW - MFP calculates using the MET values.

So I feel pretty safe in assuming it was at least 1376 if not several hundred more.

Why is this important? Because if you are burning 1000 to 2000 calories each day running you need some metric to determine how much extra food to eat. If you eat way to much you gain weight. If you eat way too little your training crashes.

Unless someone wants to volunteer to accompany me on all my runs with a metabolic cart I'll have to stick to the garmin.

I'll have to look into that, because sometimes I log my workouts, see the calorie result, cry BS and cut it in half. I'm sorry, a one hour boxing work out is not 700 calories.

I'll have to check my HRM, I think it lacks that tracking ability. It is interesting, that there may actually be an accurate basis for the numbers provided.
    The method used is from Firsbeat. You can read their scientific papers here: http://www.firstbeat.fi/physiology/heart-beat-analysis

The HRMs tha use Firstbeat are listed on this page - http://www.firstbeat.fi/consumers/heart-rate-monitors .

I don't know personally if they are really the most accurate but that is what they claim and they publically post the science behind that claim.
  • 18guyhornet
    18guyhornet Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on the activity you are doing and height/weight data. I can easily burn 1000+ doing 90 min straight on my elliptical and that is measured with a HRM. My normal crossfit workouts burn upwards of 700 cal. in 50-55 min. Intense and fast.
  • backpacker44
    backpacker44 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I had a polar ft40 which is a HRM that has a chest strap. When I started working out 40lbs ago, I would burn around 380 calories in 35 minutes on the elliptical. Since losing 40 lbs I now burn around 470-480. I attribute this to me being able to push myself a lot harder than I used to.

I've just switched to the BodyMedia Fit LINK, and I'm going to compare the two heart rate monitors to see how they compare to each other, and the machine.

Last night with the BodyMedia unit I burnt 668 in 50 minutes on the AMT machine.. A few weeks ago I wouldn't let myself burn less than 800 in a session, which I usually did in 60 minutes, so I'm assuming another 200 calories, or about 16 or 17 minutes wouldn't kill me.