Burning 1,000 + calories during a workout

Options

Replies

• backpacker44
    backpacker44 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I just walked 30 min on my lunch break and I burned 577 cal. I am also very tall and "solid". My shorter, lighter friend burned 235 cal. Tonight I am going to go for a 45 min bike ride and that usually burns 750 cals. I use Endomondo and it calculates for me.

577 seems very high for a 30 min walk. I run for 30 min and only burn 200 something. Seems very high for the bike ride as well.

Totally. I cant even hit 300 when I'm on a treadmill doing walk/run intervals with a high incline. Same with the bike, I always burn the fewest calories on that piece of equipment even though I'm totally givin it.
  • swagnificent3
    swagnificent3 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    It definitely depends on the exercise. I did a duathlon and burned over 1,000 calories in 2 hours. Yesterday I did 60 min of spin and burned over 500 calories. I normally average between 400-500 calories doing spin. On days when I do spin, weights and sauna or work out twice a day burning 1,000 calories or more is a breeze. You can burn a lot doing 30-40 min of insanity or P90-X. If you have a heart rate monitor you get a more accurate account of the calories you're burning than you do with the machines at the gym.
  • mrsg2006
    mrsg2006 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I can burn up to that if I do multiple workouts. Last night I burned 505 during one TurboFire workout. That was with a HRM. If I do that and a run over the course of a day- I get pretty close to 1000
  • swaymyway
    swaymyway Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I'm short, don't weigh a massive amount and am fit so it would take me around 100 minutes running at full whack with my heart rate right up at 160+ to burn 1000 cals (I usually burn about 600 in 70 mins running)!! 0_o
  • fluffychicken7
    fluffychicken7 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    "
    I'll have to look into that, because sometimes I log my workouts, see the calorie result, cry BS and cut it in half. I'm sorry, a one hour boxing work out is not 700 calories.
    "
    [/quote]

I box for an hour every day and my HRM reads between 850-950 each class. I am 5'4, 173, and female. It is definitely possible.
    [/quote]

It really depends on the quality of the workout. If you're punching, ducking, and diving then its quite possible. if its just punching a punching bag then I can see why its a no.
  • SpecialSundae
    SpecialSundae Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    It's not hugely unusual for my daily burn to be 800-1000 and I sometimes do epic Saturday workouts (30 minute warm-up, 90 minutes heavy weights and plyo, and 60-90 minutes cardio) for 1500-1700 calories. As I get fitter, I can push myself harder so whilst my weight and resting heartrate are going down I can still work at 10 cal/min on average.

I use a Polar Ft7, a FitBit and track my calories in and out over the long term with spreadsheets. My actual weight lost vs calculated weight lost is correct to around 250g over 4 months (which is easily accounted for with human error and water weight).
  • TheWinman
    TheWinman Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    I do it just about everyday. I have also burned 3000+ cals in one continuous workout(4 hours). Lots of handwork, effort and time. I use an HRM and subtract 10% off of that to get my burn. No lying to myself here.

Most recent time was a few weeks ago when for charity I took 4 one hour spin classes in the same day and burned over 3000 cals. I actually did 19 spin classes that week and burned 18000 cals for the week.

Damn, man. Impressive! Your legs had to be quivering, jellyfied messes by the end of the week!

Yes, but I paid the price about a week later. I took off 4 days after the 19 spin class thing and then got back to my normal spin schedule. During one class my left foot started hurting, dummy me, I kept pushing through the pain for the next 30 minutes of spin. Turns out I strained a tendon and it's been 3 weeks since then and I'm still out of commission from spin, plus still not walking normal yet. I don't think the injury would have happended if I had not done the insane charity thing.
  • schmeckpeper
    schmeckpeper Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    After two and half months of wearing a body media monitor I have come to the conclusion that all those inflated calorie burns are bogus. I can do the Cardio 1 DVD from Body Revolution and it puts me at a 180+ burn for 30 minutes. I laugh to myself when people think they burned thousands of calories based on calculations from this site or even their HRM. I put 100% effort in and get that burn at 5'4" 154. I think Body monitors are the only true way to get a somewhat accurate number.
  • toaster6
    toaster6 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    running about 9 mph on the highest incline setting in about an hour

Dang girl!! I *want* your fitness level!!!

Run and you'll get it haha. When I started I could only do maybe 4 mph for about 40 minutes with very little incline and I'd be huffing. Got my resting heart rate to drop from around 70 down to 58 over the past year.
  • cmccorma
    cmccorma Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I just got my HRM. I thought I was burning maybe 500 during an hour bootcamp or an hour of jogging. Nope. 360 at most! I need to pick up the pace or add some HIIT to my jogs!
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options

Run and you'll get it haha. When I started I could only do maybe 4 mph for about 40 minutes with very little incline and I'd be huffing. Got my resting heart rate to drop from around 70 down to 58 over the past year.

Wow, that is less than 7 min per mile!! Do you do a lot of races? I run a 9-10 min mile and have been running for about 2 years. I can't see getting much faster than 9 min/mile!!
  • TheWinman
    TheWinman Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    After two and half months of wearing a body media monitor I have come to the conclusion that all those inflated calorie burns are bogus. I can do the Cardio 1 DVD from Body Revolution and it puts me at a 180+ burn for 30 minutes. I laugh to myself when people think they burned thousands of calories based on calculations from this site or even their HRM. I put 100% effort in and get that burn at 5'4" 154. I think Body monitors are the only true way to get a somewhat accurate number.

i weigh 230 and burn calories at a much quicker pace then you, I can assure you of that. To say all high calorie burns are bogus is just crazy. YOU do not know how long I work out and the intensity that I work out at. Don't assume!
  • mortyfit
    mortyfit Posts: 354 Member
    Options

Wow, that is less than 7 min per mile!! Do you do a lot of races? I run a 9-10 min mile and have been running for about 2 years. I can't see getting much faster than 9 min/mile!!
    I started running 3 years ago and was clocking about 9:15/mile until I dropped the weight. Been getting progressively faster since, turned 40 a couple weeks ago and my regular training pace is 7:45/mile, race pace just over 7:00. It was just a matter of protecting the time needed to put in the mileage every week.
  • Nishi2013
    Nishi2013 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    On Sundays, I do a 45 minute HIIT session where I run 10MPH (6min/mile) for a minute followed by a minute long rest period. That gets me to 500+ calories. Then I do weights for 45 minutes. I dont log the burn. After that I do a 45 minute spin class for another 400-450calorie burn. That brings me very close to 1000 calories (not counting calories spent during weight training).

On most days I spent 300-400 calories on 30-45 minute cardio sessions. If I went over an hour, I could easily burn 1000. Its not hard.
  • aepdx
    aepdx Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I just walked 30 min on my lunch break and I burned 577 cal. I am also very tall and "solid". My shorter, lighter friend burned 235 cal. Tonight I am going to go for a 45 min bike ride and that usually burns 750 cals. I use Endomondo and it calculates for me.

577 seems very high for a 30 min walk. I run for 30 min and only burn 200 something. Seems very high for the bike ride as well.

This is precisely what I am talking about. I walk for 45 minutes and burn about 125 calories… I am not a twig either, I weigh about 140.
  • Tomhoffman84
    Options

Add one day of speed work a week. Find a local track, do sprinting laps to failure, recover, go again, or one of various other speed work approaches that are out there. You can shave some time off...I was at 9 min mile, i can comfortably do 8:40s now over 8-10 miles, 7:50s at max push for a 5k.
  • aepdx
    aepdx Posts: 218 Member
    Options

I am with ya!
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    I am a runner, and I totally messed up by doing low heart rate training all last fall. According to various calculators, at my weight and speed I should be burning about 120-130 calories per mile. Instead, I now burn under 100. Damn this cardiovascular fitness! I used to burn 1650-1800 calories for a half-marathon--I'll be lucky to break 1200 in my race on Saturday.
  • Nishi2013
    Nishi2013 Posts: 210 Member
    Options

Are you sure you are not talking about me? LOL. I have the exact same stats as you. When I started last year, 4mph was my running speed. First I started spinning and that greatly improved my lung capacity and strengthened my legs. Then I picked up running again. I jumped from 4mph to 5mph and then to 7mph. In January, upped it to 9mph and just a few weeks ago to 10mph. I do intervals. I cant do endurance runs but its still amazing to me that I can go 10mph for a min without falling flat on my face.

I too brought down my heart rate from 80bpm to 65bpm.

Keep on running sista!!!!! :-)
  • workaholic_nurse
    workaholic_nurse Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    When I started working out I did not eat back any exercise calories as stated on here, I have since increased the times and intensities of my workouts and currently try to maintain a 1500 calorie net. I am neither tired or having any other body issues, and I continue to lose weight. I just use the calories shown on here as a guide. 6 feet tall, and 266lbs current weight, down from 317in January.

ETA: I usually burn 6-700cals on a 35 minute run @ 5mph average pace.