Burning 1,000 + calories during a workout

Options
14567810»

Replies

• kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    The only time I burn 1000+ during a workout, is when I run double-digit mile runs. 10 miles is about 1000-1100 calories for me, and runs that long happen once a week or less (or not at all right now, as I'm building back up to half-marathon mileage). So 1000+ calorie burns on a regular workout day is way above what I'm capable of physically or willing to do time wise. But it definitely has a lot to do with weight/effort and time.
  • ragan4bama
    ragan4bama Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I use a HRM to measure what I burn during my workouts. Depends on the exercise I can burn anywhere from 600 to 1000 in a 75 min workout.
  • skier658
    skier658 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I burn about 1000 calories doing 60 min of P90X Plyometrics.
  • rroskey
    rroskey Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    With in an hour pretty difficult. In about a 2 hour bike ride today I burned 1189. 27 miles. In about 30-35 at 2.5 hours I will burn 1500. I had a 50 mile ride last October took 4 hour including a 20 minute snack break and burners over 2000. Lifting wights a 30-45 minute work out will burn 400+ calories and I also row. 2 15 minute hiit sessions will burn about 450-500 total
  • Fancy_66
    Fancy_66 Posts: 17
    Options
    I burned 1440 calories on a 2 hour bike ride this morning....not at a very fast pace, 11 mph average....some climbing...22.8 miles...I use a Garmin HRM & bike computer
  • Wonderob
    Wonderob Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    I burned 1440 calories on a 2 hour bike ride this morning....not at a very fast pace, 11 mph average....some climbing...22.8 miles...I use a Garmin HRM & bike computer

When I really push myself I can do 1000 calories in 1 hour 20 on the bike - That's 12.5 calories a minute which is just about my limit I think
  • Fancy_66
    Options
    "When I really push myself I can do 1000 calories in 1 hour 20 on the bike - That's 12.5 calories a minute which is just about my limit I think"

That's awesome....before my injury/surgery I was probably at 1000 in 1 hr 45 minutes.... unless I was climbing but my normal morning ride is relatively flat...
    I ride much differently now...still afraid of re injuring myself....I have gone from riding for distance and time to a calorie burn! lol
  • Tanya949
    Tanya949 Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Hiking burns over 600 calories an hour for me. I used to hike 4, 5, 6 hours a day on weekends... It was combined with geocaching so I didn't even consider it exercise. :tongue:
  • Wonderob
    Options
    "When I really push myself I can do 1000 calories in 1 hour 20 on the bike - That's 12.5 calories a minute which is just about my limit I think"

That's awesome....before my injury/surgery I was probably at 1000 in 1 hr 45 minutes.... unless I was climbing but my normal morning ride is relatively flat...
    I ride much differently now...still afraid of re injuring myself....I have gone from riding for distance and time to a calorie burn! lol

I know what you're going through! Foot injury has meant that I can no longer run, but cycling with the rigid soles has been brilliant for me

When we ride together, my wife thinks it's totally unfair that I burn loads more calories than her - I just tell her that all she needs to do is pile on 30 lbs and she will be burning calories at my level!

How did you injure yourself by the way?
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    I rarely come close to that, either. My longest run has been 7.1 miles and I burned an estimated 708 calories. There was another day I went for a long (Brisk) walk plus Zumba and burned close to that. My husband and I are very close in height but he weighs 50% more (to be fair, he also has about 65% more LBM than I do). I get annoyed when he and I go for a walk together and on the same walk, he burns a zillion more calories than do. ;)
  • NavyKnightAh13
    NavyKnightAh13 Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    bumping as I am curious as well. I use my Polar FT4 and I think the highest was 800 ever on the entire time I have been on MFP (mind you I am also now coming back from a hiatus). Most of the time I can only burn 300 or 400 in an hour. :ohwell:
  • Fancy_66
    Options

I know what you're going through! Foot injury has meant that I can no longer run, but cycling with the rigid soles has been brilliant for me

When we ride together, my wife thinks it's totally unfair that I burn loads more calories than her - I just tell her that all she needs to do is pile on 30 lbs and she will be burning calories at my level!

I started cycling after 3 foot surgeries on one foot....plantar release, tarsal tunnel and chielotomy....can't wear just any type shoes and absolutely no impact on that ankle....I spent months on my old cruiser bike and when I got to 30+ miles 5 days a week my husband bought me a hybrid! I fell in love with it!!! I ride at 4 am in the morning while hubby and kids are still sleeping.....the one thing I do for me with no one else needing anything from me.
    Last August I was cycling all over town looking for newer steeper hills to climb....I found one that did me in. I am COMPLETELY a spinner not masher....I herniated a disc in my neck that stopped me dead in my tracks for nearly 6 months....had Anterior Cervical Disectomy & Fusion surgery on my neck in Jan and have been back on the bike for a month!!! So happy! I missed it so much!

yes my husband burns more calories with less effort and it makes me crazy!!!!!
  • Fancy_66
    Options
    Also forgot to say that I have found nothing that touches the amount of calories I can burn per hour like cycling....
    am experiment with hiking a bit and it seems to be pretty good too! Love the elipitical at the gym but 35 minutes seems to be my limit there for about 400 calories
  • Wonderob
    Options

I started cycling after 3 foot surgeries on one foot....plantar release, tarsal tunnel and chielotomy....can't wear just any type shoes and absolutely no impact on that ankle....I spent months on my old cruiser bike and when I got to 30+ miles 5 days a week my husband bought me with a hybrid! I fell in love with it!!! I ride at 4 am in the morning while hubby and kids are still sleeping.....the one thing I do for me with no one else needing anything from me.
    Last August I was cycling all over town looking for newer steeper hills to climb....I found one that did me in. I am COMPLETELY a spinner not masher....I herniated a disc in my neck that stopped me dead in my tracks for nearly 6 months....had Anterior Cervical Disectomy & Fusion surgery on my neck in Jan and have been back on the bike for a month!!! So happy! I missed it so much!

Ah that's interesting. I've been seeing a Podiatrist for my plantar fasciitis and the plantar release surgery was spoken about. I'm having shockwave therapy at the moment though

Cycling is certainly the way forward for me though, great that you're back in the saddle, keep it up
  • _Resolve_
    _Resolve_ Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    How are people accomplishing this? The only way I am able to is by going on hikes for hours.

I think maybe people are just lying to themselves?

Cycling, just yesterday I rode 37.5 miles and burned 2018 calories per my HRM
    Crossfit, I burn anywhere from 650-1100 calories during a 60-90 minute session per my HRM

I don't think my HRM is lying to me. Maybe you should just work harder?
  • BreederUK
    BreederUK Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I burn ~ 1200 cals every workout in the gym according to my Polar HRM.

I do 1 hour on cross-trainer, 1 hour on exercise bike and 45 mins resistance training.

Screenshot_2014_06_02_17_32_47.png
    picture share
  • Fancy_66
    Options

I started cycling after 3 foot surgeries on one foot....plantar release, tarsal tunnel and chielotomy....can't wear just any type shoes and absolutely no impact on that ankle....I spent months on my old cruiser bike and when I got to 30+ miles 5 days a week my husband bought me with a hybrid! I fell in love with it!!! I ride at 4 am in the morning while hubby and kids are still sleeping.....the one thing I do for me with no one else needing anything from me.

Ah that's interesting. I've been seeing a Podiatrist for my plantar fasciitis and the plantar release surgery was spoken about. I'm having shockwave therapy at the moment though

Cycling is certainly the way forward for me though, great that you're back in the saddle, keep it up

I will tell I did tons of research on having Plantar release and the things I came up with were more negative than positive....but at that point I had let 3 years pass trying to gimp on and that lead me to walking different to favor my injury...which lead to the other 2 surgeries....I had all the cortisone injections I could get and they were hit and miss...
    with the amount of pain I was in I decided to do the surgery---I did not think it could be much worse...I now am happy to say I would do it again....I think most of the things I read before had to be from people that had been less than a year out from surgery. That is the thing to know before you decide...it is a process...I was in a wheel chair or on crutches, depending on where i was for almost 6 weeks!!! I was not prepared for that...was tough with a 1 year old....at the 1 year mark it was maybe 60% ??? But at the 2 year mark all that was left was some numbness on the bottom of my heel and on the inside of the heel....I do extremely well as long as I don't do any impact....I can wear more shoes now but never will be a high gal for Sunday church clothes again. I do own a lot of different style crocs and chocos....and ASICS running shoes are the best!
    All that to say don't be afraid of the surgery....if I had done it early on it would have been a quicker recovery..it was the tarsal tunnel part that was the real booger! all those nerves manipulated in there....so crazy I could scratch the inside of my ankle but I felt it on top of my foot near my little toe! lol
    I have pics from the surgery if you ever wanna see them....I would have loved for someone to have told me what I just told you!!
  • Fancy_66
    Options
    that is awesome! I wish I had that much time to dedicate to the gym! Some days I get lucky and get 2 hours....sorry this was for the cross trainer post...I forgot the quote
  • Wonderob
    Options

I will tell I did tons of research on having Plantar release and the things I came up with were more negative than positive....but at that point I had let 3 years pass trying to gimp on and that lead me to walking different to favor my injury...which lead to the other 2 surgeries....I had all the cortisone injections I could get and they were hit and miss...
    with the amount of pain I was in I decided to do the surgery---I did not think it could be much worse...I now am happy to say I would do it again....I think most of the things I read before had to be from people that had been less than a year out from surgery. That is the thing to know before you decide...it is a process...I was in a wheel chair or on crutches, depending on where i was for almost 6 weeks!!! I was not prepared for that...was tough with a 1 year old....at the 1 year mark it was maybe 60% ??? But at the 2 year mark all that was left was some numbness on the bottom of my heel and on the inside of the heel....I do extremely well as long as I don't do any impact....I can wear more shoes now but never will be a high gal for Sunday church clothes again. I do own a lot of different style crocs and chocos....and ASICS running shoes are the best!
    All that to say don't be afraid of the surgery....if I had done it early on it would have been a quicker recovery..it was the tarsal tunnel part that was the real booger! all those nerves manipulated in there....so crazy I could scratch the inside of my ankle but I felt it on top of my foot near my little toe! lol
    I have pics from the surgery if you ever wanna see them....I would have loved for someone to have told me what I just told you!!

Wow I had no idea it was so traumatic - I watched the procedure on youtube (There are a few on there believe it or not!)

I have suffered for a while but nowhere near your level. I have worn various contraptions to keep my foot straight whilst asleep but nothing really worked. Then 6 weeks ago I tried to play football and I heard a sharp popping sound and felt my plantar tear. Out for 3 months I'm told