2013 May Cycling Challenge Biking Bicycling

Options
sajeffe
sajeffe Posts: 850 Member
Woo hoo. Spring has sprung. It is time for a new challenge. This is a very casual thread to encourage cyclists of every level. Some people are just starting out, pedaling for the first time since childhood. Others are experienced cyclists, pedaling the most amazing distances. Whoever you are, if you cycle, this thread is for you.

Some people post individual rides, other people keep a running total. You may post miles, minutes, soreness, whatever motivates you to push those pedals.

We welcome all riders, commuters, mountain bikers, spinners, indoor cyclists, anyone who pedals may join.

That post was by CrickettKate for the April Challenge. Since I don't see a May Challenge yet, I'm starting this thread using CrickettKate's April post.

My goal is to ride (outdoors) 80 miles in May. I realize that's not a lot, but I just started riding again a month ago. I'll post here daily probably to help motivate myself. Hope others will do so as well.

Gogogo.

Replies

• 04ward
    04ward Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Count me in! I went on a 30 mile ride yesterday, 2nd ride of the season. Felt good to be back in the saddle. :). Ready for a May Challenge!
  • nettasue35
    nettasue35 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    goal is 125 miles

5/1 4.5 miles
  • Austinetc
    Austinetc Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    This post got me looking at the calendar. I'm doing a century on June 1st. 500 miles in May is not impossible! I partially commute by bike, but the distance riden is not hard and fast. (Take a train, get off before my normal stop.)

What's the point of having a goal if it's not ambitious? 500 miles it is!
  • brocksmom
    brocksmom Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I am going for 60 miles a month. 600 for the year.
    I did 5 miles today.

Karen
  • sajeffe
    Options
    Somebody else started another cycling challenge for May. Maybe the moderators here can combine the threads?
  • jehavin
    jehavin Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I'll stick with this thread =) My goal for May is small---just a few 4 mile rides before I have my baby next week and then maybe a few in the last week of May----25 miles total.

Can't wait to see what everyone else can do now that the weather has perked up!
  • sajeffe
    Options
    Goal is 80 miles for May.

May 1st -- 4 miles with swollen knee (fluid).
  • Austinetc
    Options
    20 miles today! Good start.
  • nettasue35
    nettasue35 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    5/2 4.5 miles
  • Bluffers
    Bluffers Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    May goal is 300 miles this month. Would like to get 1000 before Ragbrai in July. Weather is not helping so far this spring.
  • martintanz
    martintanz Posts: 280
    Options
    Don't know if I have just a May Goal. 1,000 miles for the season seems reasonable. Also, I hope that sometime this summer I will do a Century, or at least a Metric Century. Still breaking in my Brooks Saddle that I purchased with my new bike last season. Conveniently, I just changed the battery in my computer, so whatever the odometer reads at the end of the riding season (Sept, Oct, or whenever), should reflect my total mileage.

I did 17 miles on Sunday, 15 last night. Riding is a lot easier this year than last.
  • jehavin
    Options
    First ride of the month---6 slow miles.

May goal: ???
    May total: 6 miles

May 2----6 miles stationary (31 minutes)
  • sajeffe
    Options
    ^^^ Wow. You inspire. :smile:
  • jehavin
    Options
    That's sweet of you to say =)
  • agreenmess
    agreenmess Posts: 94
    Options
    Hello, I'd love to join in :), my aim is to cycle between 120 - 340 miles, if not more this month, fingers crossed :)
  • iysys
    iysys Posts: 524
    Options
    count me in!
    indoor only...i've no desire to be hit by a car.

goal - 150 miles (edited to up the goal!)

5/1 - 10 miles
  • sajeffe
    Options
    Was almost bitten by a little doggie today. He got my pedal instead of my foot. But he was definitely serious. Whew. Did 4 miles in 30 minutes. (I never said I was fast.)

5/1 - 4 miles
    5/2 - 4 miles

Goal for month - 80 miles.
    MTD - 8

Expecting rain the next three days.
  • Austinetc
    Options
    5/1: 20
    5/2: 21
    41 Total. 459 miles to go.

"Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving." ~ Albert Einstein, letter to his son Eduard, 1930
  • brocksmom
    brocksmom Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    5 miles for me today 10 miles for the month.

Karen
  • sajeffe
    Options
    I like the Einstein quote, Austinetc!

5/1 - 4 miles
    5/2 - 4 miles - nearly bitten by little dog
    5/3 - 4 miles - on & off rain, wearing new helmet

Goal for month - 80 miles.
    MTD - 12