Husband wants to juice!!! - I prefer he did not!!

Options

Replies

• CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options

I just started him out on Monday doing what I am...TDEE - 20% I work out - he doesn't currently. I also bought him a fit bit so I can get a better idea on how much he moves around at work. He lost 5 pounds the first 2 days or something (weighs himself daily) then nothing and then the topic of juicing came back up :( Hence my thought he is looking for a quick fix.

My goal (for both) is to lose the weight to something reasonably healthy (doesn't have to be perfect) and then maintain a healthy active lifestyle....

ok, well then if he isn't actually interested in eating a more "clean" diet, the juicing fast isn't going to accomplish anything. he has to WANT to overhaul his diet, otherwise yes, he's just looking for a quick fix that isn't going to fix anything.

after less than a week, he's already feeling the TDEE-20% isn't working? i think he just needs some education on weight loss, diet and nutrition. maybe consider going to see a nutritionist or dietician, someone who's authority he'd respect? everything worth having takes time, and losing weight is no different.
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    Not sure of your situation, but maybe you can talk him out of it due to the monetary factor. IT IS EXPENSIVE. When we had a juicer it took $15-30 of produce to make 3 or 4 cups (real cups, not drinking glasses)

that's a gross exaggeration. an apple and 3 medium carrots make about a cup of juice. that's like... under a dollar's worth of produce.
  • Sunnyjb
    Sunnyjb Posts: 220
    Options
    Not sure of your situation, but maybe you can talk him out of it due to the monetary factor. IT IS EXPENSIVE. When we had a juicer it took $15-30 of produce to make 3 or 4 cups (real cups, not drinking glasses)

that's a gross exaggeration. an apple and 3 medium carrots make about a cup of juice. that's like... under a dollar's worth of produce.

Not in my machine they didn't. I had a waring pro (it has gone to juicer heaven) but an apple made about 1/4 cup of juice, 3 carrots close to the same. My juice recipes included kale and spinach, beets and celery and other stuff like ginger, basil, mint though.... apple and carrots is not much to consume if you are actually juicing and not just making some juice.
  • chasetwins
    chasetwins Posts: 702 Member
    Options

I just started him out on Monday doing what I am...TDEE - 20% I work out - he doesn't currently. I also bought him a fit bit so I can get a better idea on how much he moves around at work. He lost 5 pounds the first 2 days or something (weighs himself daily) then nothing and then the topic of juicing came back up :( Hence my thought he is looking for a quick fix.

My goal (for both) is to lose the weight to something reasonably healthy (doesn't have to be perfect) and then maintain a healthy active lifestyle....

ok, well then if he isn't actually interested in eating a more "clean" diet, the juicing fast isn't going to accomplish anything. he has to WANT to overhaul his diet, otherwise yes, he's just looking for a quick fix that isn't going to fix anything.

after less than a week, he's already feeling the TDEE-20% isn't working? i think he just needs some education on weight loss, diet and nutrition. maybe consider going to see a nutritionist or dietician, someone who's authority he'd respect? everything worth having takes time, and losing weight is no different.

I agree - I would think watching me over the past few months he would realize it takes time and effort. Sure I can do a quick fix but it is not a long term solution. I certainly did not lose this weight in a month - I actually started in September but only kicked my self in the behind in January.
    It took me awhile to get him to realize I would rather wait till I get home to eat than stopping in Mcdonalds or wendys...at first he would grab it anyways. Now he says..ok where do you want to eat, giving me the control because I know who has the healthiest options and who doesn't. He notices I have lost weight and have started slimming and I think in a way he wants to play catch up (does that make sense or do I sound like a B for saying that LOL)
  • chasetwins
    Options

Not in my machine they didn't. I had a waring pro (it has gone to juicer heaven) but an apple made about 1/4 cup of juice, 3 carrots close to the same. My juice recipes included kale and spinach, beets and celery and other stuff like ginger, basil, mint though.... apple and carrots is not much to consume if you are actually juicing and not just making some juice.

I wish - money is not a factor for him unless it is a utility bill LOL
  • leahcecile
    leahcecile Posts: 2
    Options
    This is a fun article including someone's experience as well as several doc's opinions - http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/28/fashion/28Cleanse.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

I don't know if my earlier response got buried in all this activity, but I hope you saw it!
  • chasetwins
    Options
    This is a fun article including someone's experience as well as several doc's opinions - http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/28/fashion/28Cleanse.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

I don't know if my earlier response got buried in all this activity, but I hope you saw it!

Thank you ~ I did see it :) and I did mention the diabetic part to him - and in fact the very reason i suggested the dr's opinion & blood work.
  • Sunnyjb
    Sunnyjb Posts: 220
    Options

I agree - I would think watching me over the past few months he would realize it takes time and effort. Sure I can do a quick fix but it is not a long term solution. I certainly did not lose this weight in a month - I actually started in September but only kicked my self in the behind in January.
    It took me awhile to get him to realize I would rather wait till I get home to eat than stopping in Mcdonalds or wendys...at first he would grab it anyways. Now he says..ok where do you want to eat, giving me the control because I know who has the healthiest options and who doesn't. He notices I have lost weight and have started slimming and I think in a way he wants to play catch up (does that make sense or do I sound like a B for saying that LOL)

In that case. It is rather good for you. I did it (not for weight loss, but to "cleanse") and felt amazing. He has to fix his diet though. This will just jack up his system if he does it between crap eating.
  • monipie
    monipie Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Huh, Totally over my head. I guess, I dont understand why "juicing" is feminine? Just shaking my head confused!!
    i don't think it is very manly to juice but that is my personal opinion. i would take away my husband's man card if he wanted to juice. i have never tried it. i never will. i agree that is a fad diet. why doesn't he just go lift and drink a protein shake after- you could use a blender for those too! :)

Wtf?

wtf? wtf?

Sexist much? It's... just juice. What does that have to do with your "manliness"? I assume men shouldn't be vegans or take care of their skin either?

that is why it is called an opinion. you like yellow hats? i don't...i don't understand why you like yellow hats?! who f*cking cares- it is not for me to understand. you just like them. i just feel it is not very many to drink fruits and vegetables instead of eating real food. it reminds me of a "get skinny quick" fad diet. people, get over it. not everyone has to share the same damn opinions or feelings or beliefs about drinking food.

having preconceived notions about groups of people, be they men, women, blacks, whites, asians, gays, straights, etc are not the same thing as liking yellow hats.

but anyway, back to the thread.

lol. you must live for this *kitten*! good luck IRL!
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    A little comic relief..... Carrot Juice is Murder...........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYpYHg9v1ow
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    Huh, Totally over my head. I guess, I dont understand why "juicing" is feminine? Just shaking my head confused!!
    i don't think it is very manly to juice but that is my personal opinion. i would take away my husband's man card if he wanted to juice. i have never tried it. i never will. i agree that is a fad diet. why doesn't he just go lift and drink a protein shake after- you could use a blender for those too! :)

Wtf?

wtf? wtf?

Sexist much? It's... just juice. What does that have to do with your "manliness"? I assume men shouldn't be vegans or take care of their skin either?

that is why it is called an opinion. you like yellow hats? i don't...i don't understand why you like yellow hats?! who f*cking cares- it is not for me to understand. you just like them. i just feel it is not very many to drink fruits and vegetables instead of eating real food. it reminds me of a "get skinny quick" fad diet. people, get over it. not everyone has to share the same damn opinions or feelings or beliefs about drinking food.

having preconceived notions about groups of people, be they men, women, blacks, whites, asians, gays, straights, etc are not the same thing as liking yellow hats.

thanks. i do pretty well. :)
  • youcandooeet
    youcandooeet Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    A juice fast doesn't have to be a bad thing! That being said, if your husband wants to do it for more than a few days at a time, he needs to talk to his doctor about it.
  • frantim528
    frantim528 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I watched the "Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead" video at the suggestion of a co-worker. I'll have to admit it is really tempting. I just can't see myself flushing all of that leftovers down the disposal. I feel that the main benefit of the juice diet is to "reset" your system so to speak. Then eat healthy and sensibly (i.e. no processed or chemical laden foods). I think the idea is to just do it for a short period of time and then to eat regularly again, not to make this a way of life (maybe once a day). My co-worker just bought his juicer and says he's hungry all of the time and that the juice tastes bad. Oh well, it's really not the way I would go. As to what you should do. I think your husband has this in his head. He may be resentful if you don't support him and let him try it. It won't hurt to juice for a few of weeks and maybe will get your family talking about healthy habits. In short humor him and support him. Who knows, you may want to try something he thinks is crazy (Like a trip to the Bahamas!). Good luck.
  • chasetwins
    Options
    haha ya I am for the Bahamas..maybe I can get a bet going for a trip ;) Then again - I am dead set against betting him on anything! He is competitive and will ensure I lose the bet! haha
  • suzieqsmart
    suzieqsmart Posts: 47
    Options
    I love to juice and you can make healthy juices that have plenty of nutrients and more than enough calories. I juice every day for breakfast and sometimes if I've got a million things to do and I know I won't get home till late in the evening, I will make a second juice to take with me for my supper. I will usually compliment this with a bowl of fresh fruit and plain greek yogurt, and then I will have a nice healthy lunch of my choice.

If I know I'm going to be home for supper, I will often pack a second juice for my lunch instead (still keeping the fruit and yogurt bowl as a snack through the day).

There are plenty of ways to make juices that are full of vitamins and a good amount of calories. For example, here is one of my favorite juice recipes:

1/4 pineapple
    2 apples
    1/4 cucumber
    large handful of spinach (or kale or a variety of mixed greens - whatever is in the fridge!)
    1/2 beet
    2 carrots
    1 stalk celery
    chunk of fresh ginger
    1/2 lemon or lime

Juice all of this together and then throw it into a blender and add 1/2 of an avocado, 2 tbsp of Chia Seeds and a handful of ice. Blend into a creamy smoothie, packed full of nutrients and consisting of about 450 calories. YUMMY!!

I have dozens of juicing recipes and I use them every day, usually in conjuntion with 1 full meal and 1 or more healthy snacks. I really don't think that is a bad plan.

I haven't seen the "fat, sick and nearly dead" program, however, I really enjoyed "Hungry for Change". This is what prompted me to start juicing. I made sure to log my juicing every day to show myself whether I was getting enough sustinance from it.

Bottom line is: It's easy, it's healthy (if you do it right), and it's fun!! Plus, my daughter LOVES her "milkshakes" (which I pack full of fresh fruit and veggies). She would gladly take that over a glass of sugar-filled juice from concentrate.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options

Wtf?

wtf? wtf?

For what it's worth, I agree with your opinion.
  • melinda200208
    melinda200208 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    I love that you make this for your daughter! That's great. I will be doing this for my children some day as well and will refrain from all those sugary drinks with all the extra additives.

Bottom line is: It's easy, it's healthy (if you do it right), and it's fun!! Plus, my daughter LOVES her "milkshakes" (which I pack full of fresh fruit and veggies). She would gladly take that over a glass of sugar-filled juice from concentrate.
    [/quote]
  • Querian
    Querian Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Forget Joe Cross, we should all strive to be more like Jack Lalanne, may he rest in peace.
  • kmbweber2014
    kmbweber2014 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I love to juice, I do it many morning and have it with my toast. I could never give up food, it would lead to binge eating for me. As long as you are getting your calories then have at it.
  • KJLIII
    KJLIII Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Well, you wanted your fellow MFP'ers to weigh in, so here's my take on it: You have two options - either you support him (hesitantly, it seems from what you've written) or you don't. If you support him in his decision to try this, along with your guidelines about eating with the family and being a role model to them, then you will have helped your marriage relationship a bit on the positive side, and your hubby can learn for himself about what works and what doesn't work. On the other hand, if you do NOT support him, it becomes a wedge in your relationship - maybe a small one, but still it will be there, and could build into something bigger later... Just my initial thoughts on that...

Beyond that, I've seen and tried the juicing. I LOVE it, but I have slacked off a bit lately (I'm in the process of moving, and very busy). I did a bit of research, read a WHOLE lot about thoughts on "dieting" and eating clean and so on, and I want to share the most important things I've found to be helpful to me. I saw the "Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead" movie with friends who were impressed and wanted to try it. It wouldn't hurt you to see it, and you would at least know why it's appealing to your hubby. The transformations are incredible, and Joe Cross really did get off his meds and looks very healthy, as did the other people in the movie. I have not had rashes, or migraines, nor am I on any meds. The reasons why I tried it, and love it and am still doing it are many:
    1. I have trouble with the joints in my thumb and knee joints, and this helps alleviate the pain I experience (which leads me to believe I'm not normally getting all the nutrients I need in my daily intake of food).
    2. I would not normally consume that many veggies in any given day.
    3. I wanted to find out (for myself) what works for me - and what DOESN'T work for me.
    4. I have been quite sheltered in my years growing up in regards to veggies - my dad would only eat corn, green beans, and an occasional salad - so for years, that was all I knew or had tried in regards to eating veggies. So this was an opportunity for me to try some new foods, new vegetables, new flavors.

After trying this, I have to say that I have felt better and more healthy than I _EVER_ have ! ! I haven't gone all out with it, though, and have only been doing it as a supplement. But it has made a drastic difference in how healthy I feel. Therefore, I feel that juicing is very beneficial, and better and more natural than taking a processed vitamin - a pill - that may or may not be absorbed by my body.

I think you're right on with the idea that fad diets are not the way to go, and that maybe the focus should be more on a lifestyle change. That's the only way we'll come out of all of this with results that will last. The juicing could be a fad, or not - depends on how you look at it. I'm using the juicing as a "supplement", and getting awesome nutritional value from it, as I would not normally eat veggies or the quantity of vegetable fiber or even THINK of consuming that much for breakfast (or lunch!) - it's just not what I'm accustomed to. I love PROTEIN - and have been raised as a "meat and potatoes" kind of gal ! ! LOL ! ! So the juicing has been a wonderful benefit for me. It just may be a wonderful benefit for you, too, if you decide to try it. So if you could get your hubby to eat veggies for breakfast and lunch, maybe that would be a better option. But if that is out of the question, then juicing, IMHO, would be a way to get some awesome nutrition for your hubby and keep him healthy.

One of the most impressive videos I saw was on youtube, and it was a lecture by a professor/MD who works with obese children. Here's the link, if you have the time to sit through it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBnniua6-oM - it's about an hour and a half long. It's called "Sugar, the bitter truth", and he talks about sugar/fructose and how the body processes it (and stores it). He gives evidence that the body processes sugars into a "poison" of sorts, and can flush it out only with fiber/fibrous matter. That's why we usually find fructose naturally in fruits, that have LOTS of fiber, which help us to process and flush the toxins out of our system. If we consume sugars without fiber - as in fruit drinks, soda, candy, etc., then our bodies have the toxins as byproducts of the fructose/sugar, and it stores it as "fat" - hence the obesity epidemic in this country ! ! It's a very informative video, although very long. And it made me rethink my ideas about eating sugar/sugary foods as well as eating more fiber/fruits and veggies. I also had an "AHA!" moment - thinking about all the times I've "dieted" in the past and would actually lose weight, only to get sick and be derailed for a time. I was thinking it would stand to reason that if my body had stored the toxins in my fat cells, and I began to drop my caloric intake, thus forcing my body to draw from the fat cells that contained the toxins - well, NO WONDER I was getting sick ! ! My body would have been flooded with the toxins ! ! And, like I said before, I'm more of a meat and potatoes girl, and didn't eat many veggies/fibrous foods - so no wonder I would get sick... I have since changed my thoughts and eating habits, and the juicing has helped me too.

Anyway, hope that helps you a little. Sorry it's so long. I'm hoping you will support your hubby in this... :flowerforyou: