Is Your State Making You Fat???

Options
I've been doing a lot of research lately into what exactly causes this huge obesity epidemic. So many people these days are overweight and you know that it cannot just be due to thyroids and lack of desire. Almost all the overweight people I know say they want to lose weight! AND YET THEY DON'T.

So I went into research mode, and I found some seriously shocking things. For instance, the states with the highest amount of pollution and smog are almost exactly the same as the states with the highest rates of obesity. Check out this science:

mtvc1Po.jpg

H0Gb8KE.jpg

There are a few exceptions, but overall, the areas are really similar and this discovery is seriously ground breaking, I know that most of my friends have never considered moving to get away from obesity-causing pollutants, but I have been telling everyone about this since I discovered it.

So what about it? Do you live in a state that is making you fat? If you do, would you consider moving?

Replies

• Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    I live in California and yes I am considering moving anyway.
  • SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Moving to a less polluted state combined with eating less and moving more will very likely result in weight loss.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    I'm in San Francisco, we're about to ban happy meals. Bye bye, obesity! We're about to be the skinniest state, EVAR.

Edit: Cause typo. :grumble:
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    It's not about location, it's about culture. And I'm pretty sure there aren't roaming bands of Paula Deans all over Georgia shoving butter down everyone's throats. You can make good or bad choices anywhere and if you really want to take charge of your life you can better your situation and maybe ask for help if you need it...
  • bethanylaugh
    bethanylaugh Posts: 237
    Options
    this is a good point, light correlation always means causation
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    This is absolutely groundbreaking. It also tends to explain why countries like France and Germany are beginning to see a rise in obesity as well. They're finally catching up to our technology and are using more pollutants and are therefore getting more obese!

Also the states that seem to be more liberal, and therefore more environmentally friendly, seem to have less pollution and therefore less obesity.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I think living in a rural moutainous area that doesn't allow for things like walking or biking to the store, work, etc. doesn't help, but since I lived in this area and was not fat for decades so I don't suppose it would make sense to start blaming the state now. I stopped exercising regularly and continued to eat as though I were. That's what made me fat.
  • DirtyTrickster
    DirtyTrickster Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Yes!

Pennsylvania filled me full of butter and sugar for 30 years and forced me not to exercise!
  • Babs1076
    Babs1076 Posts: 2
    Options
    Perhaps clean healthy air encourages people to get outdoors more, doing physical activity.
  • MissMormie
    MissMormie Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    It's very good of you to look into reason that are making people fat. However, you'd need to do some further research to prove that the two are linked, and that in fact the air pollution is causing the obesity (and not the obese people taking a car causing pollution for example). There are also a number of reasons which could cause both, or it might be coincidence. You might want to look at specific area's. For example, are people who live next to the freeway fatter than those who live further away?

I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just saying that your research so far does not warrant saying that air pollution (let alone your state) is making you fat. It'd be very premature to move before doing further research.
  • zillah73
    zillah73 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I actually moved from San Francisco to New Orleans and LOST weight – I am proof that you alone are in control of your health and weight, not your state.
  • szarlotka717
    szarlotka717 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    California (my home state) is a big exception - high overall pollution but low overall obesity. :) Pollution levels in CA also vary greatly by region - the Bay Area is typically better than the Central Valley. I am less familiar with regional obesity rates in CA, so I'd want to see regional pollution v. obesity stats.
  • wineplease
    wineplease Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I'd rather be fat and live in Texas than thin and live in any of those other places.

Kidding (only slightly), but I wouldn't leave Texas based on this.
  • mamabisme
    mamabisme Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    DARN YOU FLORIDA! It's all your fault!!! ::shaking fist::

Seriously, though. correlation =/= causation.
  • MG_Fit
    MG_Fit Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    Damn it ... Looks like I'm doomed.Should I start working our harder/longer, so the ratio of workout / pollution is greater?

I guess I could move...Montana looks promising.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I've been doing a lot of research lately into what exactly causes this huge obesity epidemic. So many people these days are overweight and you know that it cannot just be due to thyroids and lack of desire. Almost all the overweight people I know say they want to lose weight! AND YET THEY DON'T.

A lot of people want to lose weight, they just don't want to badly enough to actually do it.

I want a better job, just not enough take the risk of leaving my current job. It's not a lack of desire, it's just insufficient desire.

But more to you're research... ****in A... finally something NY has right.
  • iulia_maddie
    iulia_maddie Posts: 2,780 Member
    Options
    You should move to Canada Naomi. In my bedroom. There's no obesity in my bedroom.
  • Isakizza
    Isakizza Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Yeah I don't need another reason to blame my weight problem on, lol. :tongue:
    I'm where I am for only one reason, my own choices in living a not so good lifestyle.

I live in SoCal... I tend to see a lot of active people out here.

21525558.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    this is a good point, light correlation always means causation

QFT

Does this mean I can eat anything I want to as long as I live in a "clean" state. Who knew smog and pollution made me fat, not the calories I ate?
  • OkieinMinny
    OkieinMinny Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    Im in MN - we all "bulk" up over the winter and "lean" out in the summer because we have to soak up all the Vitamin D we can - apparently Im staying bulky based on this years weather