Is Your State Making You Fat???

Options

Replies

• 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    Yes!

Pennsylvania filled me full of butter and sugar for 30 years and forced me not to exercise!

I just blame it on the Amish. :laugh:

Just kidding though... but their baked goods are amazing.

Don't worry, you can blame things on the Amish without them getting upset.

This is the Internet.
  • sidkrose
    sidkrose Posts: 35
    Options
    Sure it's been said lots of times but I'll say it again: CORRELATION DOES NOT EQUAL CAUSATION.

Come on people, did you never take a science class?
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    I live in Alaska I have a hard time losing weight here for some reason until it started to warm up a bit not sure if that's connected I run and do almost all my workouts inside I don't blame this of course just wondering if it plays a part

Funny that you should mention that. When it''s colder the pollutant molecules contract, become more dense, and fall to the ground rather than floating in the air to be inhaled. This may be more proof that OP is onto something. This also maybe why everyone loses weight right before summer and then by the time summer is over has put it back on again.
  • TitaniaEcks
    TitaniaEcks Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I mean, maybe you should have less fat in your diet if you live in a more polluted state, just because the pollution can already skew your body toward fat.

Again, there is no evidence to support this. NONE. At all. Not even a little.
  • TheWinman
    TheWinman Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    I'm in a red state, so should my weight loss see, incredible then? It has nothing to do with the state. IMO It's all about how much you shovel down your mouth.
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    Options
    source of the map?

For the obesity statistics, CDC data, part of the 2011 Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance Survey.

For the pollution statistics, I already lost the link, but I'll come back and edit this post when I find it. It was a similarly solid source.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    The first graphic is problematic because of the lack of population in the states that are not showing much weight gain. Of course Wyoming is going to show fewer tons gained over the year than New York. There are also economic reasons why some places have more obese people than others. Obesity is more prevalent amongst poor and working class individuals.

Sure, you've got your odd Kevin Smith and Chris Christie types, but if you look at the $100k plus a year salary folks, the obesity rates fall in 26% range with the poorest Americans suffering an obesity rate of 32% or more.

This makes me wonder, what do the rich have that the poor don't?
    1. Adequate health care. This could be a huge factor.
    2. Less stress
    3. Vacation (see #2)
    4. Access to better quality food
    5. Time to prepare food
    6. Time and ability to afford "healthy" activities

I think that if this was indeed the case, then to solve the obesity epidemic we must first solve the growing wealth gap in the US. You want fewer fat people? Then give the poor an opportunity to earn decent wages on just a high school education.

Hmm, I have less time now that I have more money. Higher salaried job requires more hours than the peon position I had when I was living at/below poverty level. Gaining weight was partly due to the laziness my money now affords me. I pay someone to clean my house, I never walk because my car is reliable, I can afford to eat out often, I can afford wine and beer on a regular basis.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    I mean, maybe you should have less fat in your diet if you live in a more polluted state, just because the pollution can already skew your body toward fat.

Did you not see the map?

It's on page one.

First post of the thread.
  • TitaniaEcks
    Options
    Did you not see the map?

It's on page one.

Of course I saw the maps. CORRELATION DOES NOT IMPLY CAUSATION! How many times must we repeat that!! And even the correlation is extremely weak, as someone already noted.
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    Options

Did you not see the map?

It's on page one.

THANK YOU.

I can't believe so many people are jumping down my throat just for sharing some simple research.

I'm starting to think there are a lot of mean people here.
  • TheWiseCat
    TheWiseCat Posts: 297
    Options
    I think I found the real culprit.

gono-std.gif

Look at that map. It's obvious that people with STDs are sad because they can't bareback strangers as much anymore, so they appease their feelings by eating more food.
  • ShanR77
    ShanR77 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I'd more say the town i live in. There is fast food everywhere around me. Makes it hard to eat right when i'm on the run
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    Sure it's been said lots of times but I'll say it again: CORRELATION DOES NOT EQUAL CAUSATION.

Come on people, did you never take a science class?

I see this phrase get thrown around quite a bit. It's almost as if the presenter of this phrase does not wish to dispute the argument or put any effort into disproving the hypothesis. They hope that by merely repeating the phrase that they will soundly win the debate by saying the magic words like a figure in a children's story book. There's a big trend for people to say this instead of actually backing anything up. It's pretty sad when everyone is phoning it in. How can we hear both sides of a discussion if one side refuses to even show up and be accountable?

120926_SCI_SCIchart1.jpg.CROP.rectangle3-large.jpg
  • TitaniaEcks
    Options
    I can't believe so many people are jumping down my throat just for sharing some simple research.

I'm starting to think there are a lot of mean people here.

People aren't mean, they just get frustrated at faulty logic and poor data analysis skills. Especially when the flaw in their logic gets pointed out repeatedly, and is repeatedly ignored.
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    Options
    I think I found the real culprit.

gono-std.gif

Look at that map. It's obvious that people with STDs are sad because they can't bareback strangers as much anymore, so they appease their feelings by eating more food.

OH MY GOD

STDs cause pollution!!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Did you not see the map?

It's on page one.

Of course I saw the maps. CORRELATION DOES NOT IMPLY CAUSATION! How many times must we repeat that!! And even the correlation is extremely weak, as someone already noted.

Well, that's not really true. Correlation does not prove causation, but it can imply it. The more correlation there is, the more causation seems likely. And the OP asked a question. She didn't state that it was without a doubt a cause.

Chill out.
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    It looks like it's Republicans that make you fat. Or are fat. Or something. It's probably because they go to church more and church ladies are always making delicious things with cool whip.
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    How much is that scientist in the window?
  • KombuchaCat
    KombuchaCat Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    This makes total sense to me. I grew up in PA and now live in NH. I notice far fewer overweight people here in NH.
  • LAMAnRLA91909
    Options
    I don't believe where a person lives makes them fat. I live in NC and have friends and relatives who are skinny, in shape, and overweight. I grew up eating such things as fried chicken, biscuits, gravy, etc. I could put the blame on my granny, mom, and aunts for all the good food they cooked, but as an adult it is up to me to lose this weight, I have no one or no place to blame but myself. I would not move away from NC just to lose weight. NC is my home from birth and will always be my home.