Is Your State Making You Fat???

Replies

• quiltlovinlisa
    quiltlovinlisa Posts: 1,710 Member
    Edited because I thought I was quoting someone and I wasn't. So what I said didn't make sense. ;)
  • springs47
    springs47 Posts: 82 Member
    It's not about location, it's about culture. And I'm pretty sure there aren't roaming bands of Paula Deans all over Georgia shoving butter down everyone's throats. You can make good or bad choices anywhere and if you really want to take charge of your life you can better your situation and maybe ask for help if you need it...

Everyone knows about the wild Paula Deans.
    You can spray them with I Can't Believe Its Not Butter....just aim for the eyes.
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    my first thought is this...

NO.

If I am fat, it is because I am making me fat.

yes, there is cause and effect... but when it comes down to it... only I am to blame for my current state. I take full responsibility.
    but I am Canadian... so maybe it doesn't apply.
  • GracefulDancer4Christ
    GracefulDancer4Christ Posts: 419 Member
    the state has nothing to do with it its a cultural thing. the choice to be fat or not is up to the individual. for I eat according to who the people overseas eat in Russia I went in 1997 they eat much less then America does. I try to model that method.
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Quitting smoking after 32 years contributed to me being fat, but I'm glad you asked.

No one forced food down my throat. I did it allllllll on my own, thank you very much.
  • bethanylaugh
    bethanylaugh Posts: 237
    plus some of these states are gigantic... pollution in LA is not making its way to northern CA, nor is pollution in NYC getting to Buffalo.
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    I actually moved from San Francisco to New Orleans and LOST weight – I am proof that you alone are in control of your health and weight, not your state.

Wow, congratulations! how did you do it?

Your story might be helpful to people who are living in states that are making them fat!
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    You should move to Canada Naomi. In my bedroom. There's no obesity in my bedroom.

She's mine. :angry:
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    my first thought is this...

NO.

If I am fat, it is because I am making me fat.

yes, there is cause and effect... but when it comes down to it... only I am to blame for my current state. I take full responsibility.
    but I am Canadian... so maybe it doesn't apply.

Yea, we don't do that in the states.
  • BigBrunette
    BigBrunette Posts: 1,543 Member
    I think I would have gotten fat no matter what state I lived in. Just like I'm gonna get healthy no matter what state I live in. For me, it comes down to my personal choices about eating and exercising, not my geographic location.
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,733 Member
    why are you trying to get everyone to move to Montana and Nevada? :angry:
  • TheWiseCat
    TheWiseCat Posts: 297
    This is absolutely groundbreaking. It also tends to explain why countries like France and Germany are beginning to see a rise in obesity as well. They're finally catching up to our technology and are using more pollutants and are therefore getting more obese!

Also the states that seem to be more liberal, and therefore more environmentally friendly, seem to have less pollution and therefore less obesity.

I hate liberals.

Also this comparison between pollution and obesity is comparing two symptoms, not cause and symptom.

"The fallacy cum hoc ergo propter hoc, in which two things or events occur simultaneously or the chronological ordering is insignificant or unknown, also referred to as false cause, coincidental correlation, or correlation not causation."
  • hfester
    hfester Posts: 114 Member
    I'm not sure that I would conclude from this that pollution causes obesity. I would conclude, rather, that states with higher pollution have a population of citizens that use cars for transportation more often and live in industrialized areas where they don't have access to sidewalks and outdoor areas for recreation.
  • dirtnap63
    dirtnap63 Posts: 1,387 Member
    The only state that makes you fat is the state of denial. Sadly, it's the most overpopulated state in the Union.
  • Nightterror218
    Nightterror218 Posts: 375 Member
    I like in Alaska, I can see it. The state promotes drinking and this state drinking a ton.

On a side note, during winter we can not get that fresh of veggies or fruits and have to pay excess amounts, so a lot of people do eat worse in winter due to higher cost in healthy foods.
  • fuhrmeister
    fuhrmeister Posts: 1,796 Member
    I'm in San Francisco, we're about to ban happy meals. Bye bye, obesity! We're about to be the skinniest state, EVAR.

Edit: Cause typo. :grumble:

I hope you are being sarcastic. Banning Happy Meals will not help people become thinner. You need to educate people on making better choices instead of treating them like they are too dumb to make their own decisions and the government has to do it for them.
  • iulia_maddie
    iulia_maddie Posts: 2,780 Member
    You should move to Canada Naomi. In my bedroom. There's no obesity in my bedroom.

She's mine. :angry:
    No, she's not.
    H5KEIhr.gif
  • ShreddedTweet
    ShreddedTweet Posts: 1,326 Member
    I live in Ireland in a coastal county where the wind blows cold fresh Atlantic air right in your damn face. I don't know if this has anything to do with anything but I really don't know many fat people, none of my friends or family are overweight. Coincidence I'm sure.
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    And I'm pretty sure there aren't roaming bands of Paula Deans all over Georgia shoving butter down everyone's throats.

Well now I'm just disappointed. That was the last thing on my bucket list!
  • zillah73
    zillah73 Posts: 505 Member
    I actually moved from San Francisco to New Orleans and LOST weight – I am proof that you alone are in control of your health and weight, not your state.

Wow, congratulations! how did you do it?

Your story might be helpful to people who are living in states that are making them fat!

Just diet and exercise, really. I think people down here struggle with the concept of moderation and I think health isn't always as big a priority as food. It's a food culture.